[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the older Fire Emblem games worth playing? Are is a waifu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: Fe1screenshot.png (5 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Fe1screenshot.png
5 KB, 256x224
Are the older Fire Emblem games worth playing? Are is a waifu simulator like in the modern games?
>>
The new games have a waifu simulator?
>>
It's in Japanese.
>>
File: Concentration.jpg (631 KB, 1687x2700) Image search: [Google]
Concentration.jpg
631 KB, 1687x2700
Yes, but I'd skip my way to FE3, 4 and 5. 3 is a classic FE, 4 has some new mechanics and the plot is pretty good (especially compared to the new entries) and 5 is challenging.

>>3024216
there's quite a few translation patches
>>
What the fuck is a waifu simulator?
>>
>>3024271
Try the new Fire Emblem and see
>>
>>3024280
Why not just tell me? I'm not buying a game to just understand what this simulator.
>>
FE1: NES, Has a remake, skip this one
FE2: NES, Japan only, different from the rest of the series, translation is pretty shitty, maybe worth playing if you've played the rest
FE3: SNES, Has a remake, skip this one
FE4: SNES, Japan only, it's currently being retranslated
FE5: SNES, Japan only, also being retranslated
FE6: GBA, Japan only, has a pretty good translation out
FE7: GBA, Released in English
FE8: GBA, Released in English
FE9: Gamecube, Released in English
FE10: Wii, Released in English
FE11: DS, remake of FE1, Released in English
FE12: DS, Japan only, has a pretty good translation out

None of these are really "waifu simulators", although they have some other mechanics that Awakening removed. I'd definitely recommend FE7-10. FE6, FE11 and FE12 are okay. FE4-5 are pretty good, although the translations are a bit shit in their current state so you may want to wait for a bit.
>>
>>3024001

yes the older fire emblem games have waifus although it isn't until the gba that it becomes extremely waifu heavy. The only thing the gba games are missing is actual marriage.
>>
>>3024001
4 is arguably the peak of the series. 5 ain't bad either. 3 is worth playing, though kinda simplistic.
>>
>>3024345
>FE3: SNES, Has a remake, skip this one

No. Ignore this faggot. This is better than the remake.
>>
>>3024271
Nothing. It's just one of the many nonsensical buzzwords/memes people have invented to explain things they don't understand or like about Japan.
>>
>>3024350
It's not possible for a game to have waifus in it. A waifu is a character that you, personally, have a special fondness for. You might as well claim that every woman that crosses your path when you go outside is your wife.
>>
Convenient. I was just thinking about making a Fire Emblem thread because I've never played a FE and thought about getting into the series.

So, are the games independent stories like Final Fantasy or do I have to play them in order?
>>
>>3024394
Some of them have something of a story arc; the first three do (although the second is in a completely different continent and can be skipped without missing really anything plot-wise), then the fourth and fifth are a totally different story in a different continent, 7 is a prequel to 6, 8 is standalone, 9 and 10 are both in another continent, then the most recent two are both technically standalone, though they tie together several of the old stories.

7 is generally agreed as the best place to start, by the way, though many consider 4 and 5 to be the best.
>>
>>3024405
>though many consider 4 and 5 to be the best
That is, best in the series; few if any will suggest that you start there.
>>
>>3024405
>>3024408
So 7 it is. Thanks.
>>
>>3024270
>playing FE5 in English
The translations of 3 and 4 are at least functional but they're quite bad.
>>
>>3024345
The translations of 6 and 12 were both updated, they're pretty much as good as you'll get, 6 is retail quality
>>
>>3024405
>>3024408
Path of Radiance is the best nigga
>>
>>3024437
I have an FE5 English patch. They're working on a more accurate FE4 translation patch. Still, the FE4 shitty patch is functional just like you said.
>>
>>3024001
Yeah the old ones are full of character shipping.
I wanna know this retarded /v/ mentality that old otaku were much better than current ones is gonna stop
>>
>>3024506
The old character shipping isn't as cringeworthy as the newer ones.
>>
>>3024057
Awakening lets you pair off characters, then they make babby who you use in the second half of the game that takes place in the future.

No idea about the newest one.
>>
The entirety of Awakening takes place in the span of a few years. Kids in that game travel through time from a dystopian future to prevent everything from going to shit. It's much less believable than the system in Genealogy. In Fates, children exist due to some incredibly contrived alternate world that speeds up time. I suppose IntSys didn't want to remove one of the most popular features of Awakening, so they put it into Fates without good reasoning in game.
>>
>>3025005
Meant to reply to
>>3024597
>>
>>3024381
I haven't played through the SNES version, but I recently played through the NES version, and had more fun than with the DS version. There is a lot of clutter in the DS version, too much extra stuff. I mean, it's okay, but I enjoyed the NES version more.

I did notice the Dismount command in the SNES version though, gotta try that shit out in some castles.
>>
>>3024506
>I wanna know this retarded /v/ mentality that old otaku were much better than current ones is gonna stop

It's not just /v/, it seems to infect everything weeaboo related. Back in the 90s people were complaining about the kawaii craze, and how the cute blobs were destroying everything.

The shipping in the old FE games is really not bad. Most of it occurs in relation to character recruitment (ie putting a certain character next to a certain enemy character and making them talk, causing the enemy to switch sides).
>>
>>3024345
>FE6: GBA, Japan only, has a pretty good translation out
>FE7: GBA, Released in English
>FE8: GBA, Released in English
>FE9: Gamecube, Released in English
>FE10: Wii, Released in English
>FE11: DS, remake of FE1, Released in English
>FE12: DS, Japan only, has a pretty good translation out
Nobody cares.
>>
>>3027723
nice meme
>>
>>3027723
muh retro gaems
>>
>>3024001
Genealogy of the Holy War(FE4) and Thracia 776(FE5) are some of my favorites in the series. FE4 has huge maps/chapters and a marriage system which inspired Awakening's, but it works better in FE4 in my opinion. FE5 is a lot more like the GBA games in map layout, but a lot harder and has a ton of mechanics which were scrapped in later games. Definitely the most complex game in the series, and in my opinion the it has some of the best map design.
>>
what does everyone think the best fire emblem is?
>>
>>3031089
Thracia 776
>>
>>3031089
TeaRing Saga
>>
FE3 is bae
>>
>>3024001
Games like FE4 and FE5 are why Non-Japs became jealous as fuck about all the good games coming out exclusively in Japan.

Say what you will about the decline of vidya, but I fucking love that we live in a world where most Jap games end up getting translated releases or steam ports.
>>
>>3024216
>It's in Japanese.
Just because you're to retarded to learn a new language doesn't mean everyone else is.
>>
You can't simulate waifus because waifus are inherently already simulations of wives
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.