[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how am I supposed to play this game? I get to around the 5th
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: 00000001.png (32 KB, 704x448) Image search: [Google]
00000001.png
32 KB, 704x448
how am I supposed to play this game? I get to around the 5th guy and I can't hit anything for shit or doge anything. The controls are literal dogshit
>>
In the arcades you were supposed to use one joystick to strafe and the other to rotate, and combinations to jump, dash and shoot iirc.
>>
This was the actual first game with target lock-on before Zelda and Tomb Raider
>>
>>3021010

git gud.
>>
Which version? If you're playing on XBOX/PS2, choose anything but the AUTO control scheme.

Anyway, lock-on is quite roundabout. You have to jump up (neutral) to lock-on. But if you jump too high, you risk being open to counter-attack. So, you have to jump until you get a lock-on, then cancel that jump. That's called jump-cancelling. Look some videos up on youtube. See those guys jumping every 3 seconds like retards? That's why. (The computer needs to do this too, so it evens out).

Oh, to jump you hold the two sticks apart (release to cancel the jump). To block pull them together, and so on.
>>
It's all about vectors. Each character's attacks have varying timings and ability to track based on your movement and your target's movement. You still need to read your opponent and know the timings of your moves in order to pull them off right.

It's still all about timing and position, like any good 2D fighting game, it's just that the visual signs are different from 2D fighters, which is part of what makes Virtual On such a great game.
>>
>>3021049
this

game pad is totally doable
>>
>>3021010

Invest in the twin sticks. Virtual On with a controller is near-unplayable.
>>
>>3021097
Total myth. It is entirely playable with a modern controller.
>>
>>3021097
bullshit, I'm more proficient with a controller than the twin sticks.
>>
>>3021775
>>3022018
He's most likely talking about the Dreamcast controller.
>>
>>3021087
The game pad is superior to the twin sticks.
>>
>>3021097
As long as you don't choose AUTO, you can play with the gamepad just fine. A lot of people are more comfortable with the Type A control because it comes from VOOT in the Dreamcast, and that game was the first one many people played.

For OP: don't choose AUTO, because in that control scheme, the game "decides" things for you, but that means you won't have access to all of your attacks at any time.
For example: in AUTO, you can only throw a bomb if there's something between you and your enemy - so the game thinks you want to try a roundabout attack and throws a bomb. And I don't even know how the hell the game auto-calculates if you want to use a Turbo Attack (yeah, you can use them on AUTO), because it comes out so rarely that I'm sure it's random.
With the Type A/Twin A/B control schemes, you can use all of your attacks at any time.

Also, turning is useless in this game. What you have to do when you want to lock onto something right behind you, is run around like a headless chicken, get some distance, and jump-cancel. That's why you see those pros dashing around the whole place. Don't jump cancel right in front of the enemy.
>>
Use dash attacks you retard.
>>
I'm playing the sega saturn version with the dual stick layout on pad
>>
>>3022794
here's a video of me
https://youtu.be/Ymov1l39GdY
>>
>>3022981
>>3022794
First things first. You're only using the right weapon. Each VR has 3 weapons: right, left, center. Right and Left are self-explanatory, but Center is both buttons together. For example, in Temjin's case, the left weapon is a bomb, and the center weapon is a sword slice.

Second: don't use the fine turning thing. It's worthless.

Third: when you jump to lock-on, don't stay in the air too long. If you're using dual sticks, then use the jump command again to jump cancel, and fall to the ground faster (while mantaining lock-on).

Anyway, the main thing is that you're only using the side rifle thing. That's fine and dandy, but don't overuse it, since it leaves you open when the dash ends. Just try this: just do a sideways dash, then try a sideways dash while firing. Notice the second dash takes the full range of motion, and you can't act for a split second after it ends? So, don't attack meaninglessly.

Also, the three weapons fire different kinds of shots depending on what your boost (dash) direction is. Try this: dash straight forward and use the right weapon (rifle). See that instead of 3/5 shots, you fire two very powerful shots? So, every weapon has different attacks when you you boost:
- forward
- sideways
- backwards

I don't know if there's turbo weapons in the Sega Saturn version, but try this: boost + any weapon button. If you fire a more powerful shot, then the SS version has turbo shots. Take note of this, because they're very useful when the enemy is running into a wall, or when you fight a huge boss.

Also, that bomb weapon seems rather useless, but it's what we call a defensive weapon: it's designed to deny the enemy a certain area of the stage. Some of the other VRs' bombs work differently, but they're usually defensive weapons.
>>
>>3023010
hm ok thanks
>>
>>3021010

Don't want to say it since it became a meme, but git gud.
>>
Is the 360 port a good alternative if I don't want to shell out for the Dreamcast twin sticks?
>>
>>3023226

Yes. And you can play online. Tournament coming up soon.
>>
File: Wow.png (55 KB, 196x174) Image search: [Google]
Wow.png
55 KB, 196x174
>>3021010
>I can't hit anything for shit or doge anything.
>>
>>3023406

I wonder if there will be a stream? And if it's Operation Moongate or everyone's favorite Oratan?

Fuck, I wanna see that.
>>
File: 00000002.png (90 KB, 704x448) Image search: [Google]
00000002.png
90 KB, 704x448
I made it to this guy but don't know what to do really. I keep dashing around but it's hard to avoid his attacks and I do hardly any damage. Any tips?
>>
>>3024694
Ok I beat him but it mostly because I was lucky I think. Sometimes he only transformed once per round so I wasn't able to damage him enough but this time he did it a couple times so I could do it.
>>
>>3024694
You can only damage Z-Gradt in any viable manner when it turns gold. It will fire a huge cannon blast.
Until then, just try to dodge his attacks to the best of your ability. I don't remember much about the SS version, but the Sword Slice (center weapon) can cancel some enemy attacks, and you can fire it while moving.
>>
The arcade game was amazing and I played the shit out of it. The console versions... pretty much shit.
>>
>>3023782
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAWHJv6ODiM

Playlist of the rest:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIKmG48vJAw_RtY2Nc528CD0lKHy7A-Ey
>>
>>3024979

But the console versions are better than the arcades since they have additional modes and FMV cutscenes. The DC version in particular patched the game with gameplay balances.
>>
>>3025090
>FMV cutscenes
how is that a good thing
>>
>>3025090
>FMV cutscenes
Play MARZ and tell me how FMV cutscenes is a good thing.

I forgot, but I think there isn't a Practice Mode, right? I learned the moves by looking at a FAQ, because arcade mode is no place to practice.
>>
>>3025107
>>3025145
Seriously. They added nothing good, they had worse controls, they just weren't worth it. You need that dual flight stick.
>>
>>3021010
>I am literal dogshit

ftfy. git gud
>>
>>3025107
>90s
>FMV cutscenes
>universally hated

>2000s
>cgi prerendered cutscenes
>universally loved

WHY
>>
>>3025230

>thinking you being shit at the controls means the port is bad.

This motherfucker.

The controls are fine. Git Gud. Everyone else can do it, why can't you?
>>
>>3025267
I got good with armored core's shit control system, I just couldn't get into the console Virtual On games. ffs, I've got the original Steel Batallion still. You want hard controls, step up. I just didn't like the console virtual on games and the controls were a small symptom of why.
>>
>>3027230
You name dropped a lot of stuff for cred but you're still shit at a pretty straight forward arcade game.
>>
How was Force? I'm thinking of importing it
>>
>>3025075

This is late as fuck at this point but thanks!

>>3025145

Oratan DC had a practice mode. Not sure if 360 Oratan had it too.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.