[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /vr/ think of this game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8
File: 41VT7PN5xCL.jpg (17 KB, 300x297) Image search: [Google]
41VT7PN5xCL.jpg
17 KB, 300x297
What does /vr/ think of this game?
>>
That's not a game. That's a manual, OP.

Game series is great and Obduction seems to be coming well together
>>
File: 179462-6846.jpg (46 KB, 429x500) Image search: [Google]
179462-6846.jpg
46 KB, 429x500
It and the sequel Riven were both amazing. Still have my Win9x copies.
>>
>>3019758
Myst was a Windows 3.x game though, not 9x.
>>
>>3019779
Well it was first a MacOS game that ran on a specific Apple software. Only after a year did it get ported to Windows.
>>
>>3019787
The Windows version definitely was for 3.1 and not 95. Riven was Windows 95 but ofc that came later.
>>
>>3019779
>>3019812
No way to run this on modern OSes.
>>
>>3019881
You can run them through a virtual machine.
For example you can install Windows 3.1 on DosBox and then install the Myst on there.

I played Dark Eye and Bad Mojo like that.

I played Riven using Microsoft's virtual machine for W98.
>>
>>3019881

DozBox
>>
Had the CD-Rom version when we first got a computer in 1997. Never got past the Channelwood age.
>>
>>3020231
It's not a DOS game, nimrod. You'd need some old PC with 32-bit Windoze for that shit.
>>
>>3020345

I think he seriously just advocated trying to install Win 95 on top of Win 3.x on top of DosBox.
>>
Glorified tech demo.
>>
THAT GAME SCARED THE POOP OUT OF ME WHEN I WAS 7.
>>
>>3020408
What tech? Hypercard? The realistic 3D rendering, I guess, but that wasn't part of the game's tech, it was something done outside it during the design process.

Anyway it's cool because I don't think you're serious. Myst is a great adventure game. I think people need to go back and play some bad games from the era to understand the stuff Myst was trying to get away from.

The 7th Guest, for example, while not really a bad game if you just want a puzzle collection, is so cheesy and stiff and slow and clunky with animations for everything and little cohesive design. It's a good comparison to see how elegant Myst's design was in all the ways we take for granted now.
>>
I adore this game
>>
boring as hell, ugly cgi
>>
>>3020991
>ugly CGI
It was the early 90s. The graphics looked gorgeous by the standards of that time.
>>
wow people seriously don't know they're on fucking gog, like it can't be any easier
>>
File: 1453660117396.png (98 KB, 575x548) Image search: [Google]
1453660117396.png
98 KB, 575x548
>>3020943
My brother literally pooped his pants because he was so determined to be the first to beat it he simply waited to long one day. Funniest shit ever.

>hfw
>>
>>3019703
I fucking love the world in Myst.
I don't know why, but it's very tranquil and mysterious.
Exploring it is one of my best memories of being a kid.
>>
>>3019703
Tried playing it when I was younger and didn't really understand it.
Returned to it last year and thought it was pretty good. All the puzzles follow a good internal logic and never really get as obtuse as some other adventure games, I liked the lore and the world had a nice atmosphere to it.

Still need to play Riven.
>>
File: 1-0001_Book.jpg (21 KB, 544x336) Image search: [Google]
1-0001_Book.jpg
21 KB, 544x336
Admit it. You traded places with Sirrus or Achenar the first time you played..

Also who here played Jewels of the Oracle. That game was fucking impossible, but pretty cool.
>>
>>3020943
What scared you?
>>
File: gallery_2_7_13465.jpg (33 KB, 546x334) Image search: [Google]
gallery_2_7_13465.jpg
33 KB, 546x334
>>3021045
The Selenitic Age didn't freak you out a little? Not even the Maze Runner?
>>
>>3021045
The face thing...I can still see it...
>>
One of my favorite games of all time. It was the first PC game I owned when my parents bought us a Windows 98 PC. Top notch atmosphere and music. The only game with mandatory novel-length reading that I actually didn't mind.

Anyone who says the graphics aren't gorgeous even in 2016 is a no-taste shitter.

Is the new RealMyst Masterpiece Edition any good?
>>
File: Jumpman Jr Colecovision.jpg (78 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
Jumpman Jr Colecovision.jpg
78 KB, 1440x1080
>>3021075
>Anyone who says the graphics aren't gorgeous even in 2016 is a no-taste shitter.
I guess it just goes to show you that the shit has evolved a lot less in the 20+ years since the game came out than in the 10 years prior.

Myst came out in 1993 so only 10 years before that is when games looked like this.
>>
>>3021085

Aw fuck yeah I love jumpman!
>>
>>3021085
>myst: non-game shit
>jumpman: fucking awesome game
Goes to show how gaming has gone to shit with non-game garbage adored by idiots in the 90s.
>>
>>3020408
Shit post
>>
File: manuel.jpg (15 KB, 262x211) Image search: [Google]
manuel.jpg
15 KB, 262x211
>>3019719
No. This is a manuel .
>>
>>3019758
The biggest puzzle on Riven is getting this thing to run at all.
>>
>>3021283
I told you; Myst is a glorified tech demo.
>>
>>3020991
That's why realMyst is out there. The graphics there feel on par with other games of early 2000s. The one thing it lacks is probably more animation.
>>
>>3021075
>RealMyst Masterpiece Edition

While it plays exactly the same as the original realMyst the graphics are a let down. High resolution textures, bump maps, improved lightning and water effects are slapped on same old geometry. This is dissonance for me. The original is better.
>>
>>3021523
There really is no puzzle. Install Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. Install Windows 98 there. Once done install Riven. I can share my virtual machine hard drive image with win98 installed if you want you will have to find a compatible riven copy yourself

>>3022174
You can go back to >>>/v/
>>
>>3022243
>Install Microsoft Virtual PC 2007
>2007

Might want to try something more updated than that.
>>
>>3022271
This is the version that's meant to work with Win98. Newer versions adopt only WinXP and higher.
>>
>>3022282
Riven should be compatible with XP though or does it need a patch?
>>
File: GlNDMRT.jpg (14 KB, 180x235) Image search: [Google]
GlNDMRT.jpg
14 KB, 180x235
>>3019703

tfw runs myst and riven on w10 with nothing but compatibility mode and run as administrator
>>
>>3022305
It is. However you need to pick the correct version of Quicktime. Back when I actually had XP I was forced to keep two versions installed in a specific way. One up to date and another old one for Riven.

Now on Windows 7 64-bit I find Virtual PC to be more straight forward.
>>
>>3022312
Riven maybe but Myst? Come on, you can't run a Windows 3.x game on 10.
>>
>>3022243
what display, audio and other drivers do you use for windows 98 on vpc?
>>
>>3019703
loved it when i was a small kid. took me and my friends months to figure it out.

then riven came out. we tried our damnedest but we were too stupid. played it again two years ago and finally beat it.

myst is definitely one of the more difficult adventure games, but it never gets too farfetched with its puzzles. its really well balanced.
riven, i think, is an overall better game, but it definitely has a couple puzzles that are just.... FUCK HOW THE FUCK WOULD I KNOW TO DO THIS???1!??!
also i dont think it is retro, but i liked exile (the 3rd installment) as well. the puzzles were too easy, but the worlds were seriously beautiful. its like walking through a salvador dali painting.
>>
I tried the first game a few months ago and couldn't get into it. I just didn't have the patience for it. I probably won't go back to it since I'm not a fan of point n click adventure games, but I wanted to try it at least once since it's supposed to be one of those 'big deal' games.
>>
>>3022243
>it's so easy!
proceeds with options to install additional software to jump through the hoops to play a damn game
how's that not a puzzle?
insert game, press start - that's how it's supposed to work (not counting emulators)
>>
Just play the PS1 Myst on emulation; it would be 100x easier to set up.
>>
>>3022419
You don't need special drivers for vpc. There's a special function from vpc that injects into the virtual os and installs appropriate drivers there.

However I would be sceptical of running 3d hardware rendering on there. Riven is just a simpler game engine wise.
>>
>>3022725
>However I would be sceptical of running 3d hardware rendering on there

What. Myst doesn't do anything like that; the game is running in standard 640x480x256 graphics.
>>
>>3022719
Does the PS1 port have any major differences from the PC?
>>
Nearly every successive Windows version/service pack broke games. XP broke a bunch of 9x-era stuff. In fact with every XP service pack I found another Windows 9x game that quit working. Windows 7 is quite good though; I rarely found anything that it didn't work with other than Windows 3.x stuff b/c 16-bit.

The original Windows release of Myst however is for 3.1 so you can't run that on post-XP versions of Windows at all. Maybe not even XP since it could have also broken the game.
>>
yet everyone still ignores the fact that it's on gog...
>>
You're forgetting that they had the Myst Masterpiece Edition which was a Windows 9x remake with an updated game engine/graphics.

Forget the old original Windows 3.x version unless you really have that much of a nostalgia fetish for it.
>>
>>3022830
Assuming ME works on newer Windows versions which it may not.
>>
Worlds first walking simulator. The FMV was fine, but spawned the cancerous era of FMV games.
>>
It's a pseudo-interactive screen saver.
>>
>>3023683
I tried to tell them. Back in the early 90s it was all like HEY COOL, LOOK WHAT WE CAN DO WITH THIS CD-ROM MULTIMEDIA STUFF.
>>
I loved Connections which was a great, cheesy Myst clone.
>>
>>3023676
Myst mostly just uses it for object animations, it doesn't have much to do with FMV games that were trying to be interactive movies, and Myst wasn't even a notable landmark in that technology. The 7th Guest, for example, was months earlier, and of course there was Dragon's Lair way before either.

>>3023683
It's an adventure game like any other adventure game.
>>
this game is cool, I can't wait for a VR version
>>
>>3019703

Apparently all the millenial hipster faggots think it's like some hidden gem these days, despite it being one of the more profitable 'games' ever made. I don't fucking get it. It was popular among women, casuals, and autists back in the day, and anyone who seriously played games on PC pretty much thought it was an obtuse, boring, pointless, drab slideshow. It basically managed to stick parasitically to the underside of a new market in affordable CD-ROM drives.

But whatever, a bunch of yuppies are gonna call me a philistine for this now, so enjoy that. It kind of has nice aesthetics but it's not really a game I would recommend as being worth anyone's time. If it comes to that, it's barely a game at all.
>>
>>3025926
Myst is a good adventure game. A lot of adventure game fans like it.
>>
>>3025956

The Longest Journey, any Monkey Island, or Sanitarium are examples of good adventure games. Myst is a slideshow separated by puzzles.

I'm sure young dumbasses who think it's some kind of unappreciated work of art like it a lot. Good for you if you get something out of it.
>>
>>3025970
Nah, it's just a good first-person adventure game. Riven is even better.
>>
>>3025970
>The Longest Journey
more like The Slowest Journey, what a drag that game is

slow walking and endless talking, thank god for the fast-forward button because april takes her sweet-ass time doing anything
>>
>>3025972

You realize it's a normalfag game, right? You aren't winning any hipster points by liking it.
>>
>>3025978
Oh no! My points =(

I was one of those people that "played Myst" as a kid, but I didn't beat and appreciate it and its sequels until years later. It's a pretty cool game, anon.
>>
>>3025926
I agree. It was hard to own a PC in the mid-90s and not encounter this practically ubiquitous game. Not in the least because of it being widely bundled with new PCs.
>>
>>3025984

I played it when I was a teenager, and then again in my 20s. It was shit both times. This was, once again, the opinion of the majority of PC Gamers at the time. Myst was the beginning of the casual market.

I'll admit it's a lot better compared to the casual games these days.
>>
>>3026005
>This was, once again, the opinion of the majority of PC Gamers at the time
>Myst was the beginning of the casual market
lol, no and no. Where did you read this nonsense? Sounds like something someone just asserted on an angry blog and expected people to believe.
>>
I tried and tried for hours and hours but I could never make any real progress. Was fun, though.
>>
>>3026008

I know from being alive and PC gaming at the time. You could also find it repeated very often in any publication devoted to PC gaming.
>>
>>3026025
No, lots of people disliked Myst, lots of people liked Myst, just like today.

also the fact that you keep emphasizing "PC gaming" is really weird

like what else would we be talking about with Myst, no one cared about the ports and of course PC mags were the ones that reviewed it at the time

trying a bit too hard there m8
>>
>>3026057

>the way you keep emphasizing PC gaming is weird

It's a PC game, asshole. The point is that amongst that demographic, most people hated it. It was big with casuals and now people think it's some work of art.

In other words, yes, lots of people liked Myst, but they were the same sorts of people who, today, most of you probably sneer at.
>>
>>3026068
>It's a PC game
I know that, friend
>like what else would we be talking about with Myst, no one cared about the ports and of course PC mags were the ones that reviewed it at the time
>>
>>3026068
Myst was as popular among adventure game fans as it was among the general population. of course not everyone liked it but it was a well-liked and well-reviewed game, in fact i'm willing to bet The Longest Journey is considerable more polarizing than Myst
>>
>>3019703
You know I never really got around to giving it a whole hearted attempt. The first time I played it was for a brief shot during a family gathering at a cousins house and was just messing about. One thing I specifically remembered was that the screen to screen transition for position were horrifically bad for identifying where the fuck you were in relation - I'm sure that got better as you played it over and over again if you cared or solved by realmyst but that kind of stuck with me. The next time was many many years later since I'm not all that interested in that style of gaming but I downloaded it for shits and giggles. Played around a bit, got a message and something distracted me during the message playing in the middle building and I ended up not be able to find a way to replay the message, instantly killing any real interest for caring which was solidified by walking into the next room/elevator and having no buttons on the entire screen in any sort of way to leave as the game just apparently traps you there which pretty much made me not really care even more.

I'm usually pretty good at puzzles and such but the poor presentation, lack of quick saving over and over again to make up for that fact, and the disinterest in the genre as a whole kind of put me off it. I get that it was a part of early-mid adventure gaming pushing interactive media but I found it really didn't do anything for me. I'll stick with more polished work like Sierra adventure games and the like that are more well designed.

So I mostly disliked it.
>>
>>3026089

>Myst was as popular among adventure game fans as it was among the general population

This is blatantly untrue of gamers at the time. Whether you can accept it or not, it was widely mocked by actual gamers as casual shit. Speaking from experience here. It's really the beginning, in terms of sales numbers, of the casual market as a crossover sales phenomenon. This doesn't indicate how good it actually is, but I would say it was for a reason. This board has always been slanted toward consoles, and I'm guessing that's the reason you and a lot of others don't know this; you're either new to PC gaming or mainly a console player.

I genuinely don't know how it was reviewed. It has merits you might want to praise as a reviewer, I suppose.
>>
>>3026276
I should look up some old Usenet posts for contemporary opinions on Myst.
>>
>>3026295

I definitely remember some 'games are now art'-tier talk. But this was largely from the media and non-gamers.
>>
New screenshots released today
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyaninc/obduction/posts/1503304
>>
>>3026623
There's also an article link at the end that confirms Obduction as literally a Myst incarnate.
>>
>>3026276
>it was widely mocked by actual gamers as casual shit
No dude. It's just factually incorrect.

>>3026295
oh yeah that will definitely close the case, might as well use /v/ as your touchstone for today's opinion
also that's not what contemporary means
>>
Myst had crossover appeal with casual players, but that doesn't make the game itself anymore casual. I think Myst 1 is pretty easy partly because they wanted all the puzzles to have clues and logic and mechanisms instead of humorous puzzles that require you to make a certain mental leap, but it's still hard for normies. I mean hell even on 4chan I see people complaining about the mazerunner.

This is kinda like how I've seen some people say that LucasArts games were looked down on Sierra fans for being too casual since you can't die. It's a revisionist fiction, yeah I mean I'm sure you can find SOMEONE saying that back in the day, but it was not the prevailing opinion. The games were all broadly liked.
>>
>>3021003
What are some good point-and-click games like it?
>>
>>3026956
>Myst had crossover appeal with casual players
Other way around. It was mostly appealing to casual players and a crossover appeal for people who actually play PC games.

Though it largely sold as well as it did because stores would bundle it with computer sales as a "killer app" for people new to PCs. Out of a few dozen people I know who owned or bought PCs back then all of them at least played games and not a single one of them ever went out and bought Myst. But a few copies floated around since they came with their computers and swapped hands a few time.
>>
>>3027832
Adventure games have always been PC games, friend, I don't know why you're trying so hard to make this case.

>>3027215
Myst and its sequels are unfortunately the only ones to do that style really well, IMO. There are lots of similar games--Journeyman Project, Amerzone, Shivers, Schizm, that one with a guitar-shaped island(?) and all about music--but I don't remember any of them having the same quality as Myst. There have been some decent attempts that aren't retro by /vr/ standards.
>>
>>3027917
> I don't know why you're trying so hard to make this case.
Of course you don't. Because I wasn't. But somehow you misread what I wrote.
>>
I've been thinking about getting realMyst on GOG. It looks pretty good.
>>
Put in a historical perspective, it's the second best game ever made.
>>
I really need to play Myst and Riven again, but probably not anytime soon. What I'm trying to do is forget how to solve the puzzles.

The best part of these two games is that the puzzles aren't really as difficult as they seem. When you first encounter a puzzle, its function is utterly mysterious and obtuse. Instead of brute forcing it or "figuring it out," what you should do as the player is explore the world more as the answer lies somewhere else. It's really a game of finding information and logically using it at the right moments. This kind of puzzle solving is intensely satisfying.

I'm a little hyped for Obduction, but I'm more skeptical. Uru and Myst 5 were pretty bad. I think Robyn Miller might be a big reason why Myst and Riven are so good.

>>3025926
>>3025970
>>3027832
You are literally using the appeal to popularity fallacy for people from twenty years ago. People shouldn't even be engaging you in debate at all because your premise is on unfounded grounds.
>>
>>3031709
>You are literally using the appeal to popularity fallacy for people from twenty years ago.
Uh... no. You might want to reread that shit yo.

An appeal to popularity fallacy is
Most people approve of X (have favorable emotions towards X).
Therefore X is true.

My post was a certain demographic trended towards not liking it or at least not caring, but still ended up with the game. Thus the reason for it's sales was not largely because of it being a game that appealed to gamers - since gamers were that certain demographic that largely disliked it. It wow'd people new to PCs or something for the manager to play with at the office.

Your premise is founded on stupid.
>>
>>3019703
>Myst gets really popular.
>Don't really like point and click games, although Shadowgate was pretty cool.
>Mother keeps trying to buy and get me to play Myst and Riven over and over again because they're popular non-violent games.
>Finally gets me PSX Riven for Christmas one year, have to sit down play it because even though I was completely uninterested in both the games every time she rented them for me, I can't tell her I didn't like her gift.
>Wander around for two or three hours without solving any puzzles, finally turn it off and play something else.
>"But anon, it's so pretty, it's like a storybook!"

Might've discovered it years later and liked it had it not been forced on me so hard at the time. On the other hand, it did give me sight into how people feel when you're trying to force games they don't like on them, since before that point, there were very few games I couldn't stand playing.
>>
It confused the hell out of me as a child.

I had no idea what I was doing. I thought I was playing a graphics demo game.
>>
Downloaded realmyst weeks ago. I play like 5 minutes and start looking for a guide.
>>
>>3019703
My very first video game. Playing through myst and Riven with no internet and a full 90 pg notebook (along with theories on what the fuck was going on) was amazing to say the least.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.