[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys have any tips for getting good at this game? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: pan.jpg (109 KB, 300x431) Image search: [Google]
pan.jpg
109 KB, 300x431
Do you guys have any tips for getting good at this game?
I've been playing regularly for a few months now and I'm still having problems with stuff as simple as setting up chains.
>>
>>3016537
Play Puyo Puyo instead.
>>
>>3016537
Play Tetris Attack instead.
>>
>>3016541
But パネルでポン is better.
>>
File: bakumonkey.jpg (84 KB, 425x435) Image search: [Google]
bakumonkey.jpg
84 KB, 425x435
>>3016541
Play Baku Baku instead.
>>
File: tababysitting.png (11 KB, 575x634) Image search: [Google]
tababysitting.png
11 KB, 575x634
>>3016537
Do you play vs or endless? Vs is important to get good at before you have a chance at endless. Playing against the computer on S.Hard until you can cream every opponent in 30sec is a great way to pressure you into moving faster. After vs becomes boring, endless will open up as a whole new experience as you squeeze of x13 after x13.

About combos: don't need em', which is a shame because they are way harder to pull off than chains once you start getting to +7 or so.

About chains: you don't really set up chains in a static sense, but you construct them as they happen. Most importantly is that you set up chains that you have to wait for precise timing to connect. You need to set up your chains such that you can immediately move onto constructing the next chain.

About field control: the more blocks you have on the play field, the more options you have. When you start, you should immediately raise you blocks to the ceiling and optionally level them out. Start chains a little above the middle and work your way down. Try to keep the playfield more or less level, because if you have a huge gap separating towers of blocks on the left and right, you start running out of options.

Vs: Chain off garbage blocks, but of course you knew this.

Endless: NEVER CHAIN PAST x13!! You get a x?, which is cool, but scores you no points due to a bug. Also start matching extra blocks when you get to x12 or x13 , or whatever the best you can do is. This gives you a bonus equal to the last chain you connected. This combined with the previous bug makes TA one of the best puzzle games ever if you're really stinking good at it.
>>
>>3016537
Play Bejeweled instead
>>
File: tasneak.png (11 KB, 575x326) Image search: [Google]
tasneak.png
11 KB, 575x326
>>3016572

My other advice is the TA sneak: a cool expert technique if you can fit it into your game. Very useful in very specific spots, but you'll have to figure that part out yourself.

This actually hints at an incredibly important mechanic in TA that is responsible for 90% of the crazy things you can do in this game to connect chains: blocks don't match immediately, but have to 'settle' for a frame.
>>
>>3016572
>Most importantly is that you set up chains that you have to wait for precise timing to connect.

Fuck, I meant don't do this if possible. This makes you wait on your chain rather than let you move on to the next in sequence.

See the 'babysitting' picture I posted. In the upper picture, as soon as the stars match, you have to wait until they disappear to swap the heart into the gap to make the hearts match. Only after you have ensured the hearts are matched, can you move onto the next part of your chain.

In the lower picture, as soon as the stars match, you can don't have to do anything for the hearts to match, so you can move onto the next part of the chain. Things gives you way more breathing room time wise. Unfortunately it's not always possible.
>>
>>3016537
I love Pokemon Puzzle League
>>
>>3016572
>About field control: the more blocks you have on the play field, the more options you have. When you start, you should immediately raise you blocks to the ceiling and optionally level them out. Start chains a little above the middle and work your way down. Try to keep the playfield more or less level, because if you have a huge gap separating towers of blocks on the left and right, you start running out of options.
Thank's for the tips anon. This is definitely going to help a lot.

>Do you play vs or endless?
Versus for the most part. Currently trying to 1cc Very Hard.
>>
File: 1451895638130.png (201 KB, 399x428) Image search: [Google]
1451895638130.png
201 KB, 399x428
>>3016614
Vs. strategy starts like this, but for weaker players the mid to end game of a difficult match should probably end up looking like a field with blocks on the bottom half and garbage on the top half. The garbage is super important (especially chain garbage) because the process of chaining off garbage is relatively easy.

That being said, the hardest part about vs then is making sure you always have a way to clear the next row of garbage. This means not exhausting your moves leaving you crushed under garbage with no recourse. Set up something that will clear the next row of garbage, then move around somewhere else and start chaining. In the worst case scenario, you stop your chain and convert the garbage. In the best case scenario, you chain connect your chain to the garbage. Rinse and repeat. Once you master this technique, you can have a hundred rows of trash on top of your stack, and will never die, and be returning ferocious attacks on your opponent.

In endless all of this is not an issue. Always have as many blocks on screen as possible. The hardest part of endless is learning how prevent unintentional matches. These eat up you options quickly.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.