[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any hope for retro collecting? Is it too late?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Absurd.png (351 KB, 1362x598) Image search: [Google]
Absurd.png
351 KB, 1362x598
Is there any hope for retro collecting? Is it too late?
>>
Too fucking late

Get a flashcart or if you are too cheap get those modern multicarts like the Coolboy Real game ones, or the red NES one
>>
No. Emulate, buy flash carts, and collect non-game items like artbooks and guides.
>>
At some point the bubble will surely burst, just like with comic books and baseball cards.
>>
If you wanna jump on a bandwagon you gotta pay the price.

Though I don't consider that a bad price desu. Not as good as it used to be but 50 bucks aint much at the end of the day and you're getting 3 great games.
>>
>>3016184

There are really 3 kinds of lots.

>1. A collection or series bundled together

This is "convenient". They can be reasonably priced, but unlike other lots, you're usually paying a premium for convenience. Picking up a lot of Megaman 1-6 for NES will usually cost a little more then buying individually as you're saving time tracking them down individually

>2. Wholesale lot with one or two desirable games (or approximately 10-15% of the lot)

This is usually a bunch of garbage games with some nicer ones to encourage bids. Pretty simple trick to offload some spares.

>3. Collector offloading collection

This is where you'll find the "true deals". A guy getting out of the game, doesn't really want to sell individually, so you're usually finding mostly quality. A lot of the time this can end up as lot 1 as people get crazy on eBay.
>>
>>3016193
This. For $16.50, delivered, you can have basically every rare NES game and not have to change cart.

There's really no excuse for paying for 1980s plastic with an extreme markup when the rom can be delivered to your console via another means.

I realise there's a nostalgia, an idea of value and certain charm to the tactile feeling of a cart collection, but after about 5 minutes of fondling them, you really have to enjoy playing the games themselves to move forward.

If the lack of carts to change out is a real dealbreaker, I have to propose you don't like old games that much anymore.
>>
>>3016221
The difference between retro vidya and comics/cards is that modern carts don't keep being produced and bought up by speculators.

We're trading a finite number of goods created 20+ years ago. The only winning move is not to play, especially since the resurgence of interest in old games is just flooding the inexpensive repro market, pushing development of flashcarts and re-releases.

EZ Flash IVs went back into production short ago. Just 3 years ago these were near impossible to find and now they're everywhere.

The retro bubble isn't all bad, you just need to forget about the relic items unless you have a brass wallet.
>>
>>3016184
>>3016193
>>3016195
>>3016221
>>3016221
>>3016236
>>3016241
>>3016259
>>3016268
>$50 for the 3 NES Mario games

That's not even bad...
>>
>>3016283
Nice contribition. Here's the (You) you're clearly craving.
>>
>>3016610
Not aware of that meme.
>>
>>3016610
>>3016612
>THESE NEW MEMES
>>
i got all 3 of those for like 10 bucks 5 years ago
>>
>>3016283
Nowadays that isn't bad. Literally two years ago I would've called that highway robbery.
>>
>>3016819
The whole "retro games are overpriced" thing only means that Nintendo carts don't cost $5 anymore.

Reminder that most of the games you buy cost $25-50 back when they originally came out. Even the shitty ones.

Get a fucking job and buy only the games you play instead of a wall full of carts that you might look at once a month; suddenly price won't be a problem.
>>
>>3016184
>Is there any hope for eBaybies?
No

>>3016221
>le ebik maymay
You're too young to have seen either kid

>>flashcart
Best option. Especially for monolingualoids
>>
>>3016845
(You)
>>
>>3016610
please end your life
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.