[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone ever play the original LOK? I've only played Soul
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
Anyone ever play the original LOK? I've only played Soul Reaver, but a shop I frequent has this game. Is it good? Should I bother?
>>
I liked it, but it's very different from Soul Reaver. It's more like a top-down Zelda game with vampires.
>>
>>3016168
That's what I've been noticing from images and people's descriptions. I'd be down with that.
>>
I loved it. The cut scenes are pretty cool albeit cheesy. The spells/powers were pretty brutal, just an all-around cool adventure game with spoopy atmosphere.
>>
>>3016163
It's pretty damned good, but I recommend getting the PS store version, since the load times are shortened, and the zoomed out view has far less slowdown. But then again, if you're gonna play the game on a PS3, I'm pretty sure the physical edition has these same "fixes" anyway.

All that aside, it's a pretty great game. It's kind of a dungeon crawler, but it has tons of spells, sub weapons, different forms to transform into, NPCs to talk to (though they're all retarded, lol...) you can kill an entire village and drink all their blood, etc. It's a very well rounded game. Though it is very combat driven. So if you don't like the combat, you may not like the rest of the game. I will say that it has some really neat dungeons and enemies though.
Also, the bosses are a bunch of murderous crazies who are each attuned to an aspect of the world's balance, because one of them infected the rest of them with his own madness. Overall pretty good boss battles too.

I say that if that shop has it at a price you feel OK with, then buy it. If you don't like it, you can easily resell it for the same price on ebay and have lost nothing. It I very much worth playing at least once.
>>
THE HEART OF DARKNESS
UAH
VAE VICTUS
>>
>>3016174
If you're into that sort of thing, you'll definitely like it. It's definitely not as polished as the later games in the series, but it's fun and it's cool to see the backstory for the Soul Reaver series. Great story too. The writing is similar to Soul Reaver but much cheesier and sillier. If you liked the Soul Reaver writing style, Blood Omen has that same style but turned up to 11.
>>
The PC version suffers from less loading times and thanks to unofficial patches works like a charm on newer systems, so I'd look into that. Otherwise, the game is amazing and my personal favourite LoK entry.
>>
>I don't know if X game is good, so I don't know if I should buy it
THEN WHY NOT EMULATE IT AND FIND OUT? You would think a generation that's grown up with the ability to pull data in a blink would take advantage of it, instead they've gone full lazy as fuck.
>>
>>3016163
It's definitely the best Legacy of Kain game, and a great game. Worth playing, for sure.
>>
>>3016189
FONT OF PUTRESCENCE
I was in a shitty goth metal garage band at this time and we'd put shit from this game in our lyrics
>>
>>3016617
Haha that is awesome.
>>
>>3016617
It's cool. My current band says vae victus in a chorus.
>>
its not bad.. i got really into it for a week and then got stuck. i still want to pick it up again sometime.
>>
How does the Saturn version compare? I haven't played either but have a $10 option for each at my local mom and pop.
>>
>>3016737
i thought the saturn version was canceled
>>
The voice acting in this game is still absolute #1 top of the heap for me. It's pure overblown goth cheesiness, but everyone involved sells it so well. And I love how there are descriptions for damn near everything--items, towns, notable enemies, strange viewpoints and scenery...

also, RIP Tony Jay
>>
File: 1454273310061.jpg (3 KB, 125x98) Image search: [Google]
1454273310061.jpg
3 KB, 125x98
>>3016278
>suffers from less loading times
>>
>>3017026
I admit that I've been half asleep while typing this and that it's an awkward sentence, but the PC version is so much smoother in terms of loading times than the PSX version, and otherwise they play virtually the same.
>>
You shoul definetely get it OP, a markstone in gaming.

On a side note, this thread is making me miss the game, how to I make it not look like shit on the ePSXe?
>>
>>3017026
>>3017051

Whoa wait, PC version? I'm gonna need links for that. It's for research.

EDIT; just got it on isozone, gonna test it soon.

Do I need a DOS emulator or it runs on Win7 normally?
>>
File: 1452684357326.png (3 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
1452684357326.png
3 KB, 256x240
>mfw bought the Legacy of Kain series from GOG
>had Soul Reaver, Blood Omen 2, Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance
>didn't realize no Blood Omen 1 until after the purchase
>>
>>3017101
Just normal LoK and the CubanRaul patch.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.