[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
win9x PC, 4:3 LCD or CRT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: old-pc-windows-95.jpg (403 KB, 1840x1035) Image search: [Google]
old-pc-windows-95.jpg
403 KB, 1840x1035
hey /vr/ I built an athlon64 3200 retro rig with a voodoo2, it works great but currently I use a 16:9 LCD monitor so it's not perfect for all 4:3 content. There are plenty of 4:3 LCD around but I also found a few 4:3 CRT monitors, the best one being a samsung syncmaster 793df s. Is it really worth getting the CRT over an LCD? My inner nostalgia wants to go for the CRT but I'm not sure if it's the best choice.
>>
>>3015393
If you can get it to output 240p to it, then yes.
>>
What's wrong with the 16:9? A pillarboxed 4:3 image on a 16:9 monitor is as large as a 19" 4:3 monitor's and you have the extra width for things that support it.
>>
>>3015407
everything is stretched to 16:9 by the lcd monitor and I can't bypass that.
>>
I have a Dell U2412M 16:9 LCD that can do 4:3
>>
>>3015393
Do you intend to play DOS games? Most DOS games use a 70hz refresh rate, some LCD panels, mostly IPS panels, have a problem with this. It's possible the refresh rate is switched to 60hz, giving you timing problems with some games (Lotus: The Ultimate Challenge for example, running slower than it should) or frames being dropped causing stutter (no more smooth scrolling in most situations). If you stick to Windows games and 3DFX games, there aren't any issues AFAIK with LCD.
>>
one difference between crt and panel monitors that is often overlooked is crt's are underscanned, but panels crop out the overscan.

whats the difference?
its mostly for 256 color dos games, they can tint the border around the image which is visible on a crt, but will generally be cut off on lcd unless you can catch it with the auto adjust. its personal preference if you want it or not tho.

i believe 256 color directdraw explicitly prevents this effect by forcing a permanent black border, so it wont matter for windows games.
>>
>>3015440
thanks, I just tried using my main LG IPS monitor and there is an option to switch to 4:3
>>3015461
yep I just noticed my IPS panel switches to 70hz in DOS and it works great.

glad I did this thread, finally I don't think I need the extra monitor
>>
>>3015406
>le 240p ebik maymay
>>
>>3015519
>crt's are underscanned, but panels crop out the overscan
PC monitor LCDs are never overscanned.
>>
>>3015393
I don't get these half assed retro rigs. Going through all the trouble with building a retro system and skipping out on a CRT? Voodoo 2's max res is 800x600 and looks crap stretched on LCD.
>>
>>3016047
480i is flickery and gross.
Also,
>not loving delicious scanlines
What kind of loser are you?
>>
>>3016083
>480i is flickery and gross
This is a PC monitor thread. Nobody used interlacing.
>>
>>3016083
Only on things with shitty resolution, lack of colors and no desire to be compatible with broadcast standards of the time.

In other news, the Commodore Amiga revoslutionizes video editing.
>>
>>3015393
Holy shit, I just found my new wallpaper
>>
>>3016089
I thought he meant a CRT TV. There's literally no reason to get a CRT monitor aside for faster response times.
He could get a PVM and hook his pc up to it using an Extron Emotia to downscale to 240p.
That way he'd get the arcade experience with MAME games.
>>
File: IMG_20160216_184656.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160216_184656.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>3017868
You can get a pretty nice picture out of PC CRT
>>
>>3015393
I'd go with CRT, you'll get smoother/proper motion in DOS games (most of them uses 70hz) and multiple resolution without scaling (especially important in 2D/software rendered titles)
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.