[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do anyone else wish games were never advanced past the late 1980s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: nes_black_boxes-02.jpg (576 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
nes_black_boxes-02.jpg
576 KB, 1600x1200
Do anyone else wish games were never advanced past the late 1980s / early 1990s level? Imagine if we had 40 years of progress what kind of advanced ideas would have been invented. Graphics make people lazy t b h
>>
>>3014803
Nah, I love retro games but I also like a lot of modern stuff. I do love reading about hardware limitations and how developers overcame those obstacles though, and I think limitation fuels creativity. I love the modern indie scene because of this, these beastly machines and great work pipelines but a limited team thag cant just throw money at the problem.
>>
>>3014803

That's not what's holding games back.

What's holding games back is that they try to tell a story the same way as a movie, which doesn't work. Look at games like Silent Hill, or Thief, for games that tell a good story the video game way.
>>
If we didn't have advancement in hardware then the whole industry would stagnate and then we'd just have the Atari crash all over again.
>>
>>3014836
This. Another problem is when the plot and gameplay contradict one another. For example, Aeris's death in FFVII, in a game world where a Phoenix Down should be able to revive her just fine.
>>
>>3014846
I think the term you are searching for is ludonarrative dissonance.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludonarrative
>>
>>3014846
But it's never implied they die in battle, when hp reaches 0 they just pass out.
>>
>>3014842

'05 tech can do all the games coming out now. Not at the same resolution or framerate, but from a gameplay fundamentals standpoint it can do it.

And yet the best selling games continue to be franchise rehashes.
>>
>>3014854
We're both kinda right here. You're right that the pace of advancement has slowed the past decade. That said, can't we agree that we're all here for a love of older games and that current ones aren't as good? An industry that is generally low on new ideas is a reason for that.
>>
>>3014803
No, because I'm not an insane person.
>>
>>3014865
>That said, can't we agree that we're all here for a love of older games
Absolutely.

>and that current ones aren't as good?
Eeh, I don't play every new game that comes out but there's plenty of new games that are great.
Things look poorer if all you look at is EA.

>An industry that is generally low on new ideas is a reason for that.
Old industry wasn't always that novel either.

Look at the 2600 and early home computing, if something was popular, you would see it again and again.
Not as much as "Hey this is good and popular, we can do that but better" and more like "Hey, Pac-Man/Tetris/Space Invaders is really popular, lets rip it off beat for beat and make some money"
Then there were license games, which typically were bad, it's not until these days that license games are generally competent (not saying they're great, but nobody ever ships a game that's LJN tier these days).
>>
>>3014803
Not at all. People can and do still go back and make games with limitations, but most people call those indie trash. I like old games but mm glad they didn't stop advancing at 16 bit.
>>
>>3014803
>Do anyone else wish stale pasta was good to post
OP does
>>
>>3014803
>Do anyone else wish games were never advanced past the late 1980s / early 1990s level?
Does it mean we would never get those graphics into portable level? It would be inconvenient as fuck.
>>
>>3014846

that's not a problem at all. you just can't criticize writing beyond what you perceive as logical inconsistencies, when what's really important is the message the writer is trying to convey and the literary techniques he uses to do so, but you just take everything at face value and feel the need to sperg out.

how could that not apply to older games anyway? you're saying a 16/8-bit game is somehow immune from having that problem?
>>
>>3015709
Not him, and it's not something that bugs me in games much because I rarely care about the stories anyway. But in other forms of storytelling I find logical inconsistencies very distracting and a clumsy enough one can ruin the point the author was trying to make.
>>
>>3014803
I've always thought it would be cool if someone today released an all new retro style console. Something on par with a Neo Geo, perhaps, but with vast amounts of RAM and a much faster processor, onboard effects, etc, to allow devs to go insane with 2D pixel effects, etc.
>>
>>3016131
You can have pixelated indies for that.
>>
>>3014803
>Imagine if we had 40 years of progress

We have, what you're wishing for is stagnation.
>>
>>3016142
>pixelated indies
What's this?
>>
File: For_what_purpose.jpg (25 KB, 323x454) Image search: [Google]
For_what_purpose.jpg
25 KB, 323x454
>>3016131
Why not just use one of the numerous consoles already on the market or a pc?
>>
>>3016162
I've actually thought about it. I used to write simple DOS games but when Windows took over (and, inevitably, 3D too) I got left behind a bit. I've done some basic OpenGL and things but I want to start making 2D games with modern computing power.

Not sure where to start though.
>>
File: 1455132024690.jpg (56 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1455132024690.jpg
56 KB, 720x720
>Kung Fu

>Character is wearing a gi

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Amen. Developers would be forced to get creative. I wish so badly that retro games were still made (kinda). but thats not reality i guess. Modern games all look so polished and samey. its tough to explain, but i saw this post and immediately related to it. So props and applause brother.
>>
>>3016226
back to your safe space robot
>>
File: It_Came_from_the_Desert_1.png (9 KB, 320x256) Image search: [Google]
It_Came_from_the_Desert_1.png
9 KB, 320x256
>>3014803
Up until the late 90's, I was really optimistic about the future of gaming, but after that I just totally lost interest in advanced graphics and all that. Haven't even played a new games since Quake II (except some Nintendo DS stuff). At this point I just see new hardware as pointless.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.