[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Collecting and Trading General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
How/Where do you guys buy your retro games/consoles? I have been thinking about starting a collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrVVO1coh08
>>
>>3014343
>I have been thinking about starting a collection.

You're a decade too late unless you're made of money. The ship was starting to sail in 2008 and since the turn of the decade it's been gone for good.

good thing I have everything I'd ever want to have
>>
Just get yourself a nice 20-ish game collection and emulate/flashcart everything else.

Anything bigger is just autistic.
>>
>>3014357
Kinda this. 20 games isn't much.

If you have a large collection of games you're not autistic for it. You're probably an asshole or have problems though.
>>
>>3014370
>>3014357
>poorfags
or
>jellyfags who missed the boat

Shit sucks for someone wanting to get into the game, because most of the not-shit games are easily 20 a piece, if not 30-40 and upwards of 50+ for anything quite desirable.

My advice is honestly to pickup stuff you missed in the last gen. You can find really quality shit like Demon's Souls for 5 bucks.
>>
>>3014464
>My advice is honestly to pickup stuff you missed in the last gen. You can find really quality shit like Demon's Souls for 5 bucks.

This and games from the 6th gen, because they're also cheap nowadays. GCN prices have been rising on first party games but PS2 and Xbox games are like a plague stores can't rid themselves of.
>>
>>3014357
If you already owned a console at its height and have a pretty solid collection I don't see what's wrong with continuing to build on it.
Trying to build a collection of like 40-50 games from nothing is ridiculous though, unless you have a lot of expendable income or its a system where a lot of games sell for cheap as dirt.
>>
>>3015386
>Trying to build a collection of like 40-50 games from nothing is ridiculous though, unless you have a lot of expendable income or its a system where a lot of games sell for cheap as dirt.
This is what I've been doing with famicom for the last year or two since NES prices have exploded. Kinda nice that an expensive famicom game (other than the handful of truly rare ones) is maybe 30 or 40 bucks and the average game for it can be found for under five bucks
>>
Shit has gone up... I started collecting PS1 games in 2012 for no real reason, and then I started researching a ton on the games and their prices. Sadly, it's all going up. On the plus side, if you know where to go and check the internet often, you can find good deals and make your money back.

For instance, just last thursday I went to the thrift store and found Donkey Kong 64, Quest 64, and Yoshi's Story. Now I fucking hate the N64, but I was like, "how much for those games?" $2.99 a piece the clerk said. I fucking bought that shit and put it up on eBay. The bidders are going nanas for those games, haha. And I'm quadrupling my money.
>>
>>3014349
I still managed to find good stuff even in 2012/2013ish.

Right now, I'd just get a flashcart, unless you're collecting for PS2 or something.
>>
>>3015985
I wonder why our fad-friends are repelled by Famicom. Language barrier? Ignorance of what Famicom even is? The fact that they aren't muh NES? I've played NES since I was a wee lad but I've had greater interest in Famicom carts since like 2001 or something like that. They just look so much more interesting than NES carts, not to mention the fact that for Japanese-developed games they are the true originals.
>>
>>3014464
I can see how I might come off that way, but really emulation is good enough for me at this point. I have a SNES with 23 games and a flashcart, and I emulate everything else.

My little nostalgia station is more than enough to keep me happy, and looks a hell of a lot better than a room full of old boxes and consoles ever will

>>3016716
Love the famicom and its colorful carts.
>>
>>3014343
I buy most of my games at swap meets. Second hand shops if I want something now

>>3014349
Most of what I've bought recently cost $1 or less. I'm not monolingual but dozens of those games were US versions. The crazy price thing is mostly an issue for babies who buy on ebay or from resellers who base their pricing on that. I've been hearing this rant since before /vr/ started and I still get games for ¥50-100 on a regular basis.
>>
>>3016812
>US versions
>in Japan

why would they import US versions? morbid curiosity?
>>
>>3016821
Some NTSC U games are the superior version. Actually not that uncommon since we usually got the games later. So we got an updated version.
>>
>>3014349
>good thing I have everything I'd ever want to have

Same here, for the most part. There are a few things I'd still like to have, but the prices for them are completely absurd and flash carts are a better option.
>>
>>3016686
Oh, you're a reseller? Your parents must be proud.
>>
>>3014343
>I have been thinking about starting a collection.
too late now unless you are loaded
>>
ehat I usually do is hunt in thrift stores and swap meets. But Craiglist and garage sales are good too. But you gotta have the money to snatch that shit quick. I saw a gameboy player with the discs for game cube and its was only 20. And I missed it
>>
>>3017161
>only 20 dollars
Man I bought that in a Ziploc at Game Stop for $12 back in like 2010
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.