[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there a mame version that lets you limit coin inputs per player?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: serveimage.jpg (86 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
86 KB, 1920x1080
is there a mame version that lets you limit coin inputs per player?
>>
WillpowerMAME
>>
>>3014121
well no shit, but you can't control your friends if they might cheat or something
>>
>>3014124
>Configure player inputs to two controllers
>Configure add credit to keyboard
>Move keyboard out of reach
Optionally
>Get friend who isn't 10 years old
>>
>>3014124
You can't force people to play the way you want them to. If they want to cheat, let them.
>>
most arcade games are completely ruined by infinite credits. I don't understand how most people fail to realize this.
>>
>>3014436
Arcades are meant to be replayed multiple times, not just once until you see the end so you can consider it "beaten".
>>
I like giving myself 4 at the title screen, that amounts to one buck in the prices I would pay as a kid. Anything under 9 credits I consider an acceptable clear anyway. I have 1cc'ed very few games and consider it absolutely unfun.
>>
>>3014450
agreed, but that's no excuse for cheating
>>
>>3014457
If you're emulating, you're still cheating. No other way around it, buy the actual PCB.
>>
>>3014457
how is using credits cheating?
>>
>mame is open source/free software
Do it yourself. Jesus.
>>
File: 1.png (217 KB, 361x479) Image search: [Google]
1.png
217 KB, 361x479
>>3014496
Hey, that just gave me an idea, most games have an ifinite credits cheat, you could easily put a check to prevent the credit value from going higher than 1.
>>
>>3014503
It's still pointless though because if you wanted infinite credits all you'd have to do is turn cheats off.
>>
>>3014118
You could also simulate the checkpoint systems in R-Type/Gradius games by making a savestate at the beginning of each stage and try reloading until you can clear the game in one life. Save each state to a different slot and you have practice mode.
>>
>>3014118
Yes, it's called self-control.
>>
File: schematic.png (67 KB, 525x622) Image search: [Google]
schematic.png
67 KB, 525x622
>>3014485 checkout >>2998471
This guy had an interesting essay on the subject.

>>3014118
This help?
>>
In what universe is credits cheating?

Does it retroactively erase the period of time that you died in?

OP confirmed mental midget
>>
>>3014513
Hell, the new Touhou uses a system like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx1tqciDwUM
>>
>>3014485
never heard of infinite lives cheats? pumping credits is the same thing
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (38 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
snapshot.jpg
38 KB, 640x360
>>3014524
As long as you're having fun who cares anyway. Shmups are notorious for having really shit endings, the reward should be the journey in itself.
>>
>>3014527
even if you enjoy the audio/visuals, you're making the game really shallow by trivializing all game mechanics. you won't play it for long.
>>
>>3014542
No you're not, because in the end, you cannot ignore the real-life-fact that you just died 300+ times in one play through.

If your friend is satisfied with that, then he has larger issues than "cheating"
>>
>>3014520
I personally prefer what the essay describes, one credit and that's it, and also for the reasons described.
It's also a no brainer that mame changes the value of a credit so fundamentally, it might break the game for some players.

My issue is, and that's also a response to >>3014524, the continue is part of the game's logic and mechanic. Unlike a cheat, which is usually well hidden, and mostly aimed at the developer, the continue mechanic is right there in the open, almost begging you for another coin. I cancel continues, because I prefer my games that way, but why should making a choice, that the developer gives you openly, be cheating?

By the way, I know you can change the value of coins on a lot of games with dip switches, occasionally also difficulty and stuff. Are there games where you can disable continues like that? Would solve the issue nicely.
>>
>>3014717
>Are there games where you can disable continues like that? Would solve the issue nicely.
Lots of them, actually. Gradius and Yagawa games come to mind. It depends on the board, you should find the option in the service menu.
>>
>>3014542
Some improve through punishment and some through reward. To each its own, whatever. Most people in real life will have no idea what you're talking about when you mention your 2 loop 1cc in R-Type anyway.
>>
>>3014719
Then I think that's OPs answer. Instead of trying to limit coins in mame (which makes starting over needlessly complicated), they just disable continues (where applicable)
>>
>>3014520
While I really enjoy that essay, the author gleefully mentions the crowded arcades and getting tips from others, and multiplayer, and I can't help thinking, for me as an introvert, that's excessively stressful, and I'm glad mame provides an, albeit diminished, alternative. I find no access to arcade culture, I find it frightening and upsetting. But I sure love the games.
>>
>>3014725
>Some improve through punishment and some through reward
Where's the reward in playing through a game again, when you made it to the end by putting in tons of credits? When you play continue-heavy, you're in it to see the new content. There's no need to improve beyond that.
That said, the people that 1cc aren't in it for the punishment. They're in it for the reward of making it one step further through the game, until they see the end.

>Most people in real life will have no idea what you're talking about when you mention your 2 loop 1cc in R-Type anyway.
That's because you're being needlessly complex. Tell them you managed to play through all the levels of a difficult arcade game twice in a row, without dying, and they will know.
>>
>>3014745
Do whatever you want, nerd.
>>
>>3014727
If you don't die, you won't use coins anyway. Just play normally.
>>
>>3014783
in my understanding you need at least one credit to play, unless you changed the dipswitches to free play
>>
>>3014786
lel that is correct
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.