[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This game is way too easy. Hadn't played it in several
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5
File: Super Metroid.jpg (141 KB, 589x507) Image search: [Google]
Super Metroid.jpg
141 KB, 589x507
This game is way too easy.

Hadn't played it in several years, but I always see everyone brag about what a great game it is. So I play it, and it's too fucking easy.

I like the art style, music, atmosphere, etc. But how can you bunch of casuals call this the best Super NES game when it's so fucking easy? Don't you like actual challenge?

Replayed it a few times to get the game's best ending, and even that wasn't hard.
>>
>games that I've already played through and beaten multiple times are way too easy when I play through it again
>>
>>3008783
If it's too hard, try with beating it with just three energy tanks.

faggot
>>
>>3008797
Hell, it was easy the first time I played through it.

>>3008802
So in other words I have to make the game challenging by purposely playing with handicaps? You know your game is fucked when you have to result to bullshit like this.
>>
I'd say difficulty is subjective friend-o. You've listed everything that's good about the game and there's your answer. Atmosphere, sound, and gameplay. That makes it one of the best 2-d side scrollers that's still fun to play even by modern standards. Also who's bragging? The only one I see doing that is you. :^)
>>
>>3008809
Do you want your games to be fun or just ridiculously difficult?

Go play some Kaizo. I'd imagine that's your idea of "fun."
>>
>>3008809
>So in other words I have to make the game challenging by purposely playing with handicaps? You know your game is fucked when you have to result to bullshit like this.

Yes. There's a timer for speed and percentage. So do a three tank low percentage speedrun.
>>
>>3008810
>Atmosphere, sound, and gameplay. That makes it one of the best 2-d side scrollers that's still fun to play even by modern standards
And plenty of other retro classics also feature these qualities. But they never get bragged on like Super Metroid. I'm disappointed. The original Metroid, Super C, Ghosts 'n Goblins, etc. all gave me a fair challenge. I breezed over this game in a couple sittings. What's fun about that?
>>
>>3008816
He wants it to be both, and Super Metroid is neither.
>>
>>3008816
>Do you want your games to be fun or just ridiculously difficult?
I want my game to offer some kind of challenge, and not be batshit easy.
>>
>>3008826
Difficulty causes frustration, unless you're an autismo like OP. A fun game is not insanely difficult.

It's like saying the fight against Ruby Weapon is easy after you've figured out how to beat him.
>>
Lots of great games are easy, I don't see your point.
>>
>>3008824

You're making the assumption that difficulty = fun which is an entirely subjective thing and obviously not many people agree with it.
>>
>>3008831
>A fun game is not insanely difficult.
Who said anything about wanting a game to be insanely hard? I only want my game to not be insanely easy. Which Super Metroid obviously is.

Now I know why this game is so popular. /vr/ sucks at games.
>>
>>3008842
(You)
>>
>>3008837
>difficulty = fun, and obviously not many people agree with it.
Isn't that sad? So you guys don't play games to be challenged?

Besides, if you would pay attention to this thread, you would see my complaints are not about wanting a game that is very hard; I merely expected one of the highest praised games ever made to not be so fucking easy. It doesn't have to be super hard. I'm fine with moderate challenge, too.
>>
>>3008842
>I only want my game to not be insanely easy. Which Super Metroid obviously is.

Keep telling yourself that, autismullah.
>>
lol well what did you expect you nintoddler casual

1cc battle garrega instead of playing garbage games for babies

or just stick to angry birds and gone home
>>
>>3008831
>Difficulty causes frustration
Maybe if you have ADHD, a bit of challenge is crucial to a game unless you want a walking simulaton. Super Metroid has 0 challenge even on your first try.
>>
>>3008852
You think Super Metroid is challenging? Go back to playing Elmo's Big Racing Adventure. Unless that's too much for you to handle.
>>
>>3008842

>game got insanely easy when I already managed to beat it once and knew exactly what do
>>
>>3008850

If I cared what other people think about video games that would be pretty sad
>>
>>3008850
>So you guys don't play games to be challenged?
We already told you that if you wanted to be challenged to do 3 energy tank run and you said no. The only one who doesn't like to be challenged here is you.
>>
>>3008856
>1cc battle garrega
Don't fucking remind me man, i'm stuck in level 6.
>>
Play some Silver Surfer then
>>
>>3008861
>>3008858

Maybe you guys are just naturally really good at the game. :^)

Let's see you beat it without the Varia Suit or Gravity Suit. Or is the game only easy when it gives you the tools to beat it?
>>
>>3008862
>game got insanely easy when I already managed to beat it once and knew exactly what do
Game was easy the first time I played through it.

>>3008864
I didn't say I wouldn't do the challenge. I'm saying it's retarded I have to play with a handicap to make a game moderately challenging.
>>
>>3008874
A good action game manages to be challenging even when you are "fully powered", that's the problem with Super Metroid.
>>
>>3008872

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2740/
>>
>>3008783
I had the same problem with the game. Played it last summer and was offered zero challenge getting through it. Super Metroid is overhyped by those who suck at games and don't want to get any better. So instead of playing games they might lose at, they only play games they can easily win. It makes them feel like real gamers.
>>
This board is really easy to fuck with.
>>
>>3008885
Nah, bro, you're just too skilled. :^)
>>
>>3008885
Name 3.
>>
>>3008890
>Super Metroid is overhyped by those who suck at games and don't want to get any better. So instead of playing games they might lose at, they only play games they can easily win. It makes them feel like real gamers.
Exactly. And that's sad. This game is so overrated.
>>
>>3008890
>Super Metroid is overhyped by those who suck at games and don't want to get any better. So instead of playing games they might lose at, they only play games they can easily win. It makes them feel like real gamers.
Not only this, but they also think the game has "depth" because of the open-world style, when in reality it comes down to: wandering empty areas with shitty enemies finding keys to proceed to the next dead area. Also, you will never get lost because of the map.
>>
>>3008783
OP I think you might be a touch autistic. Most of Super Metroid's challenge and interesting gameplay is in interacting with the game world and exploring, not in it's combat or platforming challenges.
Metroid without its trademark Metroid exploration elements is basically just a shitty Mega Man or Contra.
>>
>>3008913
See >>3008908
>>
>>3008890
>>3008908
Smoke and mirrors. You walk into a room and get attacked by a bunch of enemies that you're often too bulky and slow to dodge, so you blast them with missiles and proceed. But there's no real challenge. The game creates the "illusion" of challenge, when it's not actually there.

A good game requires you to out-move, dodge, and outwit the enemies. Not take damage, shoot a missile, replenish your health, repeat.

I guess people really are this fucking stupid.
>>
This is how OP reacts when he's playing Super Metroid and it isn't hard enough for him. Turn your speakers down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt3WUtq9kIs
>>
People like Super Metroid for the atmosphere, but it's also overrated. But yes, the game is super easy. Always has been.
>>
File: Face.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Face.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
Anyone ever notice how all the popular games are also the easiest?

>Chrono Trigger
>Super Metroid
>Super Mario World

I'm not saying that's the reason these games are overrated, but it does make me wonder...
>>
>>3008783
Try a low% run, even if the game doesn't have difficulty settings, you can change the difficulty and how you will play the game by lowering your %. Then try other challenges like Maridia without the gravity suit or reverse boss order.
>>
Games don't need to be difficult to be good.
>>
>>3008995
>Anyone ever notice how all the popular games are also the easiest?
have you ever noticed that's not true
>>
>>3009015
>Having to set handicaps to make the game challenging
Broken.

>Games don't need to be difficult to be good
They don't need to be easy beyond imagination, either.
>>
File: 1440813374064.png (284 KB, 375x421) Image search: [Google]
1440813374064.png
284 KB, 375x421
>>3009021
You disagree that Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid and Super Mario World are easy?
>>
>>3009023
>>>/v/
>>
>>3009034
Yeah, so I can play all the latest casual games that award me with checkpoints every 2 minutes. That will solve all my "games-being-too-easy" complaints.
>>
>>3009037
>claims to want a challenge
>trolls the most easily triggered board
hypocrite
>>
>>3009046
Well you got me there. Maybe I expected more from the generation with the reputation of preferring gameplay over bells and whistles.
>>
>>3009015
>Then try other challenges like Maridia without the gravity suit or reverse boss order
This sounds extremely boring, not challenging.
>>
>>3009054
So you played a game with no reputation for difficulty then were surprised it wasn't that difficult then decided to complain instead of playing one of the countless very difficult games anyone would be happy to name for you.

Why do you do this? Does this board really deserve this degree of cancer? I want you to re-examine your life and your posting habits for your own sake.
>>
>>3009072
>So you played a game with no reputation for difficulty
Not true. I see fags complain about this game being too difficult over the years I've been active on this board. I suspected the game wouldn't be hard, but I'm shocked it was so damn easy.

>decided to complain instead of playing one of the countless very difficult games
Very difficult games aren't really my thing. I'll pass.

>Why do you do this?
For discussion. We're on a discussion board in case you've forgotten. What's the matter? Don't like me pointing out glaring flaws for an overhyped SNES game? If you need a hug, try GameFaqs.
>>
>>3009083
>Not true. I see fags complain about this game being too difficult over the years I've been active on this board.
I haven't, it's not even hard for a Metroid game unless you're doing some kind of speed run/sequence breaking shenanigans

>Very difficult games aren't really my thing. I'll pass
well excuse me goldilocks

>try GameFaqs
Why bother, when you're bringing GF-tier discussion right to my doorstep
>>
>>3009090
>goldilocks
What's wrong with Goldilocks?
>>
>>3008995
>Easily accessible and well designed games have a bigger potential audience, and as result more popularity, than well designed games with a higher barrier to entry
No shit.
>>
>>3009090
>right to my doorstep
He thinks 4chan is his doorstep. You live in your basement with your mom, don't you?
>>
File: Get Out.jpg (26 KB, 510x373) Image search: [Google]
Get Out.jpg
26 KB, 510x373
>>3009102
>well designed games
>Chrono Trigger
>>
>>3008783
And you're just now learning the awful truth about Super Metroid? That's it a big pile of casual shit? Good for you. Tell us something we don't already know.
>>
>>3008809
>Hell, it was easy the first time I played through it.
Then why didn't you say that in your first post? Surely that's more significant to your argument?
>>
>>3009138
Except I did imply that in my first post.
>>
>>3008809
>So in other words I have to make the game challenging by purposely playing with handicaps?

This is entirely intentional. It's the only way to unlock additional endings. The earlier Metroid games didn't have selectable difficulty levels, so the developers challenged you by instead requiring you to beat the games under a specific amount of time.

SM didn't incorporate any endings for low-percentage runs, but you'll likely have to skip a lot of power-ups to beat the game in under 3 hours regardless.
>>
>>3008783
What % did you get?
What time did it take?
All these things are calculated when beat it.
If you got a 95% complete in under 3 hours then your just insainly good.
The game is hair pulling hard but to beat it . But to get everything and get it fast is actually retard hard.
>>
>>3008929

>having a different opinion
>stupid

You're gonna go far, champ.
>>
>>3008850

Sad? No. People play games for all sorts of different reasons and difficulty is one of them. Super Metroid may not be that difficult but it's a cool setting and a great story.
>>
>>3008908
>Also, you will never get lost because of the map.
You don't have to use the map download points.
>>
>>3008908
>Also, you will never get lost because of the map.
That's just a convenience. There's nothing stopping you, the player, from hand-drawing a map for every game you play.
>>
I've never heard anyone praise Super Metroid for its difficulty.

In fact, if you're looking for difficult games, why are you playing the SNES? That's slowdown city. Especially for action games.
>>
>>3008783
Its as easy as you make it
Do a no health tanks run
>>
>>3008943
Scary shit, though I have no idea whats going on since Ive never played MC
>>
All the challenging games from that era are on genesis, SNES was when nintendo decided to put themselves apart from arcade styled games and started making games that felt more like an epic adventure.

SM is a good experience since it still plays good and has an excellent setting but yeah it can get tiring if you came wanting a different experience than what the game was designed for. Still most of the challenge comes from training and learning the layout so you can get a bigger % in a better time.
>>
>>3009108
Congratulations for decapitating your own foot and eating it in front of everyone here. Go somewhere else to bait.
>>
>>3008783
>Difficulty is the only true measure of a video game's quality.

Get some friends so you have something else to do besides play games 10 hours a day. Then you will enjoy games like Super Metroid alot more.
>>
>>3009980
>being bad at videogames
>>
>>3008783
well its nintendo.

all there games are designed to be beaten by a 10yr old.

thats not a troll on them, its just fact. They are a childrens company. Its in their damn description. Yet no one understnads this and gets all salty with NoA censors shit.
>>
>>3010020
Fuck off /v/
>>
Shitpost
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.