[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you still be a Castlevania fan if the Metroidvanias were
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5
File: bloodletting.png (39 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
bloodletting.png
39 KB, 256x224
Would you still be a Castlevania fan if the Metroidvanias were never created and the games kept being 2D (or 2.5D) arcade-like platformers, /vr/?
>>
>>3008708
I personally prefer the arcade platformers to the Metroidvanias. No disrespect to symphony of the night of course.
>>
I only played SotN in 2011, so yes
>>
>>3008708
I don't see why I wouldn't be since I prefer the Classicvanias by far. I like the Metroidvanias, but they're comparatively shallow experiences.
>>
I was already a fan of the series long before SotN came out, so I don't see why not.
>>
>>3008708
Bloodletting sounds like the name of a fucking fangame, but I still wish we saw more of it.
>>
>>3008720
same here
>>
the only people who prefer metroidvania are the shit babbies who didnt start playing the series till the GBA games
>>
The exploration games are fine gems in their own right, especially compared to their peers, but the classicvanias just scratch that hyper-specific itch no other action game can.
>>
File: IMG_20160219_191216.jpg (138 KB, 881x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160219_191216.jpg
138 KB, 881x1080
>>3009490
Ya sure about that pal?
>>
>>3008708
Honestly, no.
>>
>>3009501
Yeah if you played 1-4, dracula x and bloodlines you didnt think SoTN was an improvement in gameplay unless of course youre some faggot goth casual who plays for the spoopy atmosphere and not actually the platforming game
>>
Probably not, my first was Simon's quest and I barely played any of the others until the gba games.
>>
>>3008708
Depends on if it starts to feel really stale or not. I liked the Metroidvanias until around the DS ones came out because it got really old going through the same exact formula with like one new gimmick slapped on.
>>
>>3009608

>if u disagree ur a casual emo faggot

Pfff, that's some shit I'd expect to read on /v/ and not here. You can enjoy both for the differents ways to play, this little war of Classicvania x Igavania is getting even more ridiculous as the time passes.
>>
>>3008708
lol, so mad you had to create a new thread?
>>
Probably not. I mean Id like them, but Id get bored fast
>>
File: 115881_6.jpg (41 KB, 382x450) Image search: [Google]
115881_6.jpg
41 KB, 382x450
>>3008708
i think i finally hit the point where i no longer like the term "metroidvanias".
i was sorting my games by genre today and really metroidvanias are just action-adventure platformers.
"adventure" already implies exploration and doors locked through keys or skills already.
>>
>>3009763
My opinion is pretty much this with better punctuation and use of apostrophes.
>>
Metroidvania was a logical progression from the Classicvania style which I think worked really well. And it still kept some of the core gameplay mechanics.
What makes no sense is the 3D Lord of Shadows shit they put out... that's Castlevania in name only, a husk of its former self.
I don't think there's been a good Castlevania game since that batch of DS titles...
>>
>>3008708
As far as action games go, they are not even that good. Those jumping mechanics ffs.
>>
>>3009882

I really imagine if not for nostalgia classic vania wouldn't be regarded so fondly
>>
I enjoy both. My ideal game would be a mix of both. I'd love to see a chronicles remake of Simon's quest in the style of order of ecclesia. But if a new castlevania game were to happen here's what I'd want it to be.
>four playable characters from the start with differing attributes
>no RPG leveling or equipment system
>control style of metroidvanias with level design like classicvania
>a branching level tree (think Darius) with two bosses/exits on each level
>co-op multiplayer
>every subweapon ever
>bonus points if it's based on the war of 1999

What would you wanna see, /vr/?
>>
Old castlevania is quite fun and has its charm and metroidvanias are well produced games but to be honest i wouldn't enjoy some of them as much if they weren't castlevania games, modern castlevania is very hit and miss.

So i guess old castlevania is better since all of them except simon quest and that arcade game are great and they feel more consistent in quality.
>>
>>3008708

I like both equally.
>>
>>3009882

The jumping mechanics are part of the game. They make you think about what you're doing.
>>
>>3008708
Dunno. I like SotN and the GBA games enough that I'm glad that they were made, but I still vastly prefer the Classicvanias. I never played any of the 3D games so I can't speak for them.
>>
>>3010196
>They make you think about what you're doing.

You know what other game does that?

ALL OF THEM! YOU'RE NOT BEING EXTRA THOUGHTFUL BECAUSE YOUR JUMP SUCKS!
>>
>yet another thread with kids deriding metroidvanias because their dumb peers don't think they're "cool" any more
Just fuck off, children. You're not gamers.
>>
>>3010243
You can't really think Castlevania's fixed jumps don't push you to use your jump more thoughtfully than in, say, Super Mario Bros.

Your jump doesn't suck, either - it's perfectly adequate for the kind of challenges you have to face in those games. It's not as though it hamstrings you. (And this is to say nothing of all the classic Castlevania games that don't have fixed jumps.)
>>
>>3009824
>Metroidvania was a logical progression from the Classicvania style
Not really. In terms of dynamic and fundamental design they're vastly different. It was a lateral movement.
>>
>>3010461
>You can't really think Castlevania's fixed jumps don't push you to use your jump more thoughtfully than in, say, Super Mario Bros.

Yes I can. Because it is. You're not battling the game in some intricate thought provoking chess match.

>Don't jump in a hole or into an enemy

Isn't a strategy
>>
>>3008708
Sure, but probably not as much.
I enjoy the arcade platformers a lot but Metroidvania is one of my favorite genres.
>>
>>3011291
>You're not battling the game in some intricate thought provoking chess match.
No one's suggesting that. What's being suggested is that the fixed jump arc requires more deliberation because it entails commitment that can either outright kill the player, cause the player to take damage, or some combination of the two thanks to the amount of knockback hits provide. The player is required to time his jumps and be more considerate of the surroundings.
>Isn't a strategy
Sure isn't. How you avoid falling into a pit or colliding with an enemy, however, does require a bit of risk assessment/management.
>>
>>3008708
>Would you still be a Castlevania fan if it was like how it always should have been?
Well, duh.
>>
>>3008708
Of course. I became a fan with the first game. And my favourite is the third one.
Anyone that says no, aren't really Castlevania series fans. They are fans only of the Metroidvania genre.
>>
>>3009743
I like igavania though its just when GBABBIES tell me those games are better I know they are just shit casuals.
>>
>>3012078
You're still being a massive idiot here and part of the reason no one fucking likes CV threads besides shitposters.

You idiots try to read other people by some made up metric that has no basis in anything but anecdotal evidence and bullshit pulled out of your own rectum.
>>
>>3012092
Just because youre too autistic to socialize with people outside of 4chan doesnt mean people dont have those retarded opinions.
>>
>>3012110
I didn't imply that anywhere in my post. You lack severe reading comprehension skills. Not to mention your silly desire to use meaningless buzzwords in your post.
>>
>>3012114
I can tell you have never talked about the series outside of 4chan considering that people touting the GBA games as the best in the series is actually a pretty common opinion. Your claims that people dont actually say that have just as much validity as mine so its kind of he said she said.
>>
File: Legends Ending.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
Legends Ending.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
Beat Legends a couple of hours ago, I could never get past the executioner boss on the secret stage. Got him though and Drac.
>>
>>3012140
i love smoking weed everday thanks konami
>>
>>3012118
>I can tell you have never talked about the series outside of 4chan
Stopped reading here. This is untrue given I've spoken about CV before 4chan was even a thing, but thanks for playing.
>>
>>3012170
no you didnt or else you would know igavania shitbabies are a pretty large group
>>
>>3012179
And you still have a severe lack of reading comprehension from what I said in my first post.

Have fun arguing with people in this thread because I'm personally done with your stupid ass.
>>
>>3009882
Go play Superman if you wanna move around in the air like you're flying.
>>
>>3012180
Im saying it may be anecdotal because it did talk to other people. I am saying you're too socially retarded to talk to someone not behind a computer screen.
>>
>>3009882
whats wrong with them just because you fucked up and pressed the button to early doesnt mean the game should take it easy on you and allow you to change in midair. Fucking shit babbie
>>
>>3011385
>Sure isn't. How you avoid falling into a pit or colliding with an enemy, however, does require a bit of risk assessment/management.

Which every game does. Castlevania isn't special in that regard
>>
>>3012192
It's not black and white. The simplest way to demonstrate the difference is with a scenario where a player jumps off a platform. In a game with great air control and high jumps, you can turn back and land safely back on the platform you started from. In games with fixed jump arcs you can't do that, if you start the jump you're fucked and there's no way to test the waters and turn back. Therefore it forces you to think more carefully when you will use that jump button, even if only by a little bit.
>>
I like classic Castlevania as well as "Metroidvania". Both are good. Both are fun.
>>
>>3008738
You have that backwards if anything.
>>
>>3012078
Metroidvanias can be MUCH harder than the classic games, for example doing all bosses in Richter mode in SotN is hard as fuck. One to two hits from just about anything will kill you and you can't level him up.

In terms of standard modes, I found CotM pretty challenging. I haven't played the DS games.

CV3 is hard as fuck, first game is easy with holy water. And if you want to tell me to not use holy water, then i'll say don't use Alucard in SotN and use Richter instead.
>>
>>3009490
>>3009608
>>3012078
>>3012110
>>3012118
>>3012179
>>3012185
Do you have autism?
>>
>>3012690
Scratch that; I found the answer myself.

http://desustorage.org/vr/search/text/shitbabies%20/username/Anonymous/

Yes, yes you do.
>>
>>3012179
nostalgiafag classicvania fans are an even bigger group
>>
>>3008708
I guarantee most fans of the series liked it because of the metroidvania ones introduced in SOTN.
>>
>>3012192
>Which every game does.
Correct. But the way the jumps operate is a key part of how Castlevania establishes said risks (and means of addressing obstacles) in its game design. What's so hard to get about this? If the air control were as flexible as in Super Mario Bros. it'd be a very different game.
>>
The first Castlevania is one of the best games ever made, so yes. I've replayed it dozens of times.
>>
>>3009770

I dislike the term metroidvania because I don't like Super Metroid at all, while I get super into all the post-SOTN games.

I feel like they're only superficially similar, Metroid is about getting lost and having to find boring shit to progress and being "atmospheric", while SOTNlikes are about leveling, killing shit and exploring a castle with awesome catchy music.
>>
>>3008708
I enjoyed Castlevania (for the most part) until Lord of Shadows spawned into existence. That was the end, for me.
>>
>>3009608
>Liking things for atmosphere makes you a faggot.
Jesus dude.
>>
Yeah, I'm much more fond of Classicvanias.
>>
>>3009770
>>3013201
Well, IGA does want the term to be renamed to "IGAvania"
>>
I'd be a fan still but the series really went downhill after Ecclesia.
>>
I'm fine with Metroidvanias but I prefer the classic style over them
>>
>>3013951
What do you make of games like Circle of the Moon which weren't developed by Iga?
>>
File: 1456097444133.gif (992 KB, 499x374) Image search: [Google]
1456097444133.gif
992 KB, 499x374
I like both styles[/spoilers]
>>
>>3014002
Same
>>
>>3009770
>>3013201
I've taken to calling them Blaster Masters over the years. It recalls Sunsoft's similar explore-y adventure games and also it's more fun to say.
>>
>>3008708
Probably not, at least not for anywhere near as long. While I love the classic games, finding Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance back when they were released was how I discovered the series and I ended up hooked on it that way. Without those two I probably never would've been exposed to the rest of them.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.