[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which was the better 4th gen controller?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 20
File: snes-megadrive.jpg (29 KB, 800x359) Image search: [Google]
snes-megadrive.jpg
29 KB, 800x359
Which was the better 4th gen controller?
>>
>>3008437
Genesis, not even a contest. That d-pad is sex and the sixbutton layout is way better for fighters.
>>
US SNES with dimpled buttons.

Never liked Sega d-pads.
>>
SNES. I like the genesis controller, but it's not as comfy as the SNES controller, and the button layout just isn't as good.
I can't imagine playing a game like Mega Man X on a genesis controller, that would be so annoying.
>>
>>3008441
>no shoulder buttons
"no"
>>
SNES for anything except maybe fighters. Having 4 face and 2 shoulder buttons makes it a lot easier to quickly press whatever you need to than 6 face buttons.
>>
Sega Genesis did it for me.
>>
>>3008437
Mega Drive for the d-pad, SNES for everything else.
>>
Genesis for comfort/ergonomic and dat perfect 10/10 dpad
SNES had better functionality though. Although this honestly hardly ever mattered except for select games.
>>
>>3008441
SNES, not even a contest. More buttons, better laid out. Not just shoulder buttons, but the fact that you can easily hold 2 buttons at a time (e.g. Y and B to jump while running on Mario).

Even Sony thought it was so good they'd elaborate on it for the PS controller.
>>
File: pcengine6buttonpad.jpg (15 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
pcengine6buttonpad.jpg
15 KB, 300x225
>>3008437
A CHALLENGER APPEARS
>>
>>3008443
>never liked sega d-pads
Shit taste detected
>>
File: tg16_hes_pad_01.jpg (53 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
tg16_hes_pad_01.jpg
53 KB, 640x480
This is the greatest game controller ever made. The Turbopad. 4 buttons... more than enough to beat any game that plays.
>>
SNES because it was the default controller. Six button Genesis controller was launched way after -1993- when fighting games became popular.
>>
>>3008505
Nigga, please.
>>
Eh... just like the consoles themselves, I don't think there is a clear winner.

Comparing the original 3-button Genesis pad, I think SNES is better, but the model 2 Genesis pad made a lot of improvements.

SNES pas has a good, firm but versatile d-pad that works pretty well for any kind of game.
The original 3 button Genny pad's d-pad is too stiff and although it already has the circular shape, the way it's modeled makes my thumb sore.
Model 2 genny feels great, basically a proto-Saturn d-pad, great for fighting games and shmups. It also added 3 extra buttons and a shoulder button ("mode") that was rarely, if ever, used.
SNES got the L and R buttons that albeit not a lot of games used them, they saw far more use than the "mode" button on the model 2 genny pad.

So I don't know, it's kind of a tie for me. If I'm playing a fighting game or a shmup I'll choose the Genesis pad, but for platformers or action games like castlevania I prefer the SNES d-pad.
>>
>>3008487
That actually looks great. Too bad most of those buttons were useless on PCE.
>>
>>3008487
>bottom row is in descending order
>top row is in ascending order

What the actual fuck?
>>
>>3008487
agree
>>
>>3008508
This. The vast majority of Genesis games don't utilize more than 3 face buttons at most.
>>
File: shinobi3.jpg (60 KB, 356x499) Image search: [Google]
shinobi3.jpg
60 KB, 356x499
>>3008549
But the best games for the system did utilize it, so that's all that matters.
>>
>>3008552
But literally all games from the first several years of the console's life did not, and the new controller was an extra purchase for most people.
>>
File: saturnpad.jpg (9 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
saturnpad.jpg
9 KB, 300x225
Not 4th gen but this is my favorite controller of all time.
>>
>>3008437
I preferred Genesis 3 button controller to those 2
>>
>>3008437
It really depends on the game. Genny all the way for platformer, arcade and RPGs. Snes for anything else though.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3780x2580) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3780x2580
I don't have a problem with 6 buttons but I like this design better. Felt better to hold.
>>
Serious question
What's the difference between a Genesis or Saturn d-pad and a Xbox d-pad?
Why the former is so loved while the latter is regarded as the worst d-pad to date?
>>
>>3008603

They're really nothing alike other than the circular shape.
Also, have you actually seen the OG Xbox's OG controller d-pad? That thing was an abomination.
>>
>>3008603
Sega controllers generally have a pivot point in the middle that lay directly on the rubber domes while I know the first Xbox d-pad was all wonky and the S-controller was decent at best
>>
>>3008603
Just try using them and see for yourself

protip: you're just making your assessment off the fact that "well they're both round so they're basically the same". They operate completely differently. The genesis/saturn d-pads are very precise, while the xbox d-pad is imprecise and sloppy
>>
>>3008603
The original 360 D-pad was probably the worst ever. IIRC, it was actually just a molded cross mounted on a short stalk instead of being a true D-pad. It's infuriatingly difficult to get a distinct directional press out of one in any game that demands directional precision.
>>
>>3008610
It have been 15 years since I last touched a Genesis pad, I thought they would be similar since the Xbox controller used the Dreamcast controller as base.
>>
>>3008629
dreamcast d-pad was awful
>>
>>3008627
It was a bad pad in general. So freaking big and clumsily shaped. Plus that cardboard logo in the plastic dome looked cheap as fuck.
>>
Which one's button layout became a modern standard?
Checkmate atheists
>>
>>3008673
>>3008627
I thought you meant original X Box, sorry. The 360's is quite nice actually. I don't remember the D-pad though.
>>
File: sixfacebuttons.jpg (87 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
sixfacebuttons.jpg
87 KB, 576x432
>>3008674
So the Genesis then?
>>
>>3008486
>more buttons
The 6 button has a mode button on it that was used for some games (it's on the top right edge). They have the exact same amount of buttons.
>>
>>3008678
The 360 D-pad was an atrocity. It was highly unreliable when performing fireball motions or when tapping directions to select special weapons. It would even slip in the wrong direction when navigating menus.
>>
Putting buttons on the shoulders is more intuitive than on the face. Why should your thumb have to manage six buttons when you can let your index fingers do some work instead?
>>
>>3008627
>IIRC, it was actually just a molded cross mounted on a short stalk instead of being a true D-pad.

Uh, what you just said IS a true d-pad - a molded cross sitting on a rubber membrane.

I've been using it for a decade now though, even using the same membrane as in the first pad I bought, and it's still pretty damn tight. Not super precise, but suitable for any game.
>>
>>3008751
>Putting buttons on the shoulders is more intuitive than on the face. Why should your thumb have to manage six buttons when you can let your index fingers do some work instead?

Because it was designed for Street Fighter 2, so you can go from weak->medium->high punch in one row, and kicks in the same order in the other row.

Which is far more logical than low and medium attacks on the 4 face buttons, and high punch on the Left shoulder, or wait, was it the right shoulder? Oh shit I just did a kick instead of a punch, and it was such a nice opportunity to do a dragon punch on a jumping-in opponent, could've knocked him out but instead now I got hit by a combo and lost half my life, fuck.

Plus, pressing d-pad + right buttons + left trigger in combination can be incredibly annoying (for, say, qcf+ppp).

And before you mention, you can do PPP on a 6-button MD pad using the claw grip, or by holding your thumb sideways so it covers the entire row of buttons. They made the buttons much smaller than the 3-button pad because of this.

Moot point anyway because JP Saturn pad destroyed both the SNES and MD controller.
>>
>>3008753
No, the 360 D-pad has a very short stalk, as if it's a stubby analog stick in disguise. This is what causes the imprecision. You'll press one direction, and a perpendicular direction will also register or will register instead.
>Not super precise, but suitable for any game.
If it's not super precise, then it's absolutely not suitable for many types of games.
>>
>>3008751
you seriously can't manage six face buttons? good god man.
the best way is to have 6 face buttons AND shoulder buttons. it's one of the few things the n64 controller got right
>>
Six button pad is the second best controller ever after the Saturn pad.

SNES pad is still fine. Better than the 3 button pad for sure.

>>3008751
>Putting buttons on the shoulders is more intuitive than on the face
You've never been in an arcade have you?
>>
>>3008437
genesis has a better dpad, but it still isn't perfect

while genesis controller has an ideal face button layout, the xyz buttons are a terrible size.

snes controller buttons have varying heights, which feels pretty nice.

snes wins imo. sony was right to copy the snes controller but i wish it had 6 face buttons like saturn
>>
>>3008779
You play an arcade differently from holding a controller. With an arcade each of your fingers is pushing a button, while a controller you use mostly your thumbs.
>>
SNES. Whenever I used a Genesis pad, I always felt like I was gonna break it, it feels fragile.
>>
I thought it was universally accepted that Nintendo always had the best D pads.
>>
File: Japhell.png (333 KB, 512x812) Image search: [Google]
Japhell.png
333 KB, 512x812
>>3008523
up down left right...oh wait NEC is Japanese like hell so... down up right left.
>>
File: 1443306634744.jpg (73 KB, 710x781) Image search: [Google]
1443306634744.jpg
73 KB, 710x781
>>3008834

Sure, m8
>>
>>3008895
Hell yeah
>>
>>3008854
Only people that never used a Genesis/Saturn pad say that.
>>
>>3009118
I played Megadrives but had a SNES. The SNES pad was better, I thought.
>>
File: boss.jpg (45 KB, 704x519) Image search: [Google]
boss.jpg
45 KB, 704x519
Genesis controller by far. Curved handles to fit into your palms, the backside is much more concave so you can comfortably hold it, a nice big D-pad along with it working VERY well, can easily hit diagonals on it, and a nice three face buttons which you can actually hit two at a time if you actually have hands.

The SNES controller is alright. Doesn't fit into your palms as well as the Genesis one, it is just slightly slanted on the back so it doesn't have the groove like the Genesis controller on the backside, the D-pad is a bit small and slightly stiff, the start and select buttons are a bit too mushy due to it being thin rubber ellipses. Though it does have a good ABXY layout with shoulder buttons, but more buttons doesn't always mean it is better. At least it isn't as offensive as the NES controller which is small and angular.
>>
>>3009160
>more buttons doesn't always mean it is better.

True, but in this particular case it does.
>>
One has an oversized, empty-feeling controller with a rocking dpad

One became the standard base layout for all systems made from then on.
>>
Genesis pad by a mile.
The SNES pad is fucking tiny, and has the worst shoulder buttons on any console I've ever used. The D-pad has too much play, and if you buy a international SNES it's colored like a gay pride parade. Meanwhile, the Genesis 6-button is neck-and-neck for the best d-pad of all time, and isn't mostly 90 degree edges where your hands go. The 3-button isn't quite as good, because it's pretty big for how little is on there and the d-pad isn't quite as tight on there, but it'still a fine 2D controller.
>>
>>3008437
Both controllers were good, in different ways:

CONSOLE GAMES > SNES
ARCADE GAMES > MEGADRIVE
>>
I think SNES pad is better. I just find it a bit just more comfortable and more functional.

As far as I'm aware we're not talking about the 6-button genesis pad. The OP didn't say: "which do you rather, the default SNES pad or 6-button genesis one".
>>
File: genesis_wins.png (119 KB, 800x359) Image search: [Google]
genesis_wins.png
119 KB, 800x359
>>3008437
Genesis, because you only have 2 buttons per finger instead of 4.
>>
>>3008774
>If it's not super precise, then it's absolutely not suitable for many types of games.

I can do 100% combos in Skullgirls and get an S+ rank on half the levels of Ikaruga using the x360 d-pad.

It's good enough.
>>
>>3009312
I guarantee that you acclimating to the controller that well with a couple games is the exception rather than the rule.
>It's good enough.
But "good enough" isn't acceptable when almost any other controller would be better. The D-pad's imprecision affects its performance in precisely the types of games where precision is crucial, and that includes an enormous number of /vr/ games.
>>
File: megaman is dead.png (52 KB, 179x110) Image search: [Google]
megaman is dead.png
52 KB, 179x110
>>3008437
I have yet to find an SNES controller that can come remotely close to an official Sega Mega Drive pad, they're all shit including the official Nintendo one.

If any of you know of a good pad for the SNES, please share your knowledge with us; I'm at my wit's end, inches away from just straight up buying an arcade stick for the damn thing.
>>
>>3009310
Nobody held a Genesis pad like that and you know it.
>>
From a pure functionality standpoint, a tie. As others have pointed out, the Genesis has a better Dpad(that said, both were very good), but the SNES has more buttons and a better button layout(excluding fighting games).

The thing is, very few games made use of all 6 buttons on the Genesis controller, so in the sense of what you were able to do with each controller, the SNES wins by far.

If only the knockoff USB gods would give us a SNES controller with a Genesis Dpad.
>>
>>3009374
It's the objectively better way to hold it. You can't hit 6 buttons quickly and accurately with 1 thumb.
>>
>>3009408
Show me any game where you had to press more than 3 buttons at the same time on the Genesis.
>>
The megadrive pad is insanely comfy, the 6 button version is my favourite controller ever next to the Saturns.
The SNES pad is adequate and I have no complaints about using one, but they're a tad too small and light for my taste.
>>
>>3009427
It doesn't have to be at the same time to make a difference. If you need to press C immediately after A, you'll press it sooner if you don't have to move your thumb across.
>>
>>3008452
shoulder buttons arent needed for anything that arent faggot rpgs
>>
>>3009430
ZERO games take timing that fast. literally most retarded complaint ever
>>
>>3008437
Fighting Pad 6B for Street Fighter. Super NES controller for everything else. Even Sega knew that six face buttons for anything other than fighting games was excessive when they designed the Dreamcast controller..
>>
File: th.jpg (8 KB, 300x285) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
8 KB, 300x285
SNES was better. No fucking contest. There is not a single thing about the genesis controller that makes it better.

>direction d-pad is more fast and precise than a rotating d-pad
>select button
>shoulder buttons
>4 face buttons, in ergonomic positions and sizes, allow you to push 2-3 at once, easily
>smaller and more ergonomic shape to fit hands

Also Pic related is the best d-pad of all time. Was more crisp and precise than the SNES, but not retardedly small like on the GCN controller.
>>
>>3008631

It was great though. You can 1cc Ikaruga and mars matrix on it.
>>
>>3009509
Don't all Nintendo machines have the exact same D pad, just at different sizes? It's a good design so why mess with it?
>>
>>3009462

Except for these things called fighting games
>>
>>3009542
What fighting games need C+A?
>>
The dreamcast believe it or not has a great d-pad. It's just in the perfect place and has an amazing bounce and feel, not for tiny Japanese hands like GC one either.
>>
>>3009462
All the Sonic games after 1 require timing that fast for optimal spindashes. You can mash 3 buttons faster than 1.
>>
We all know Sega fucked up the U.S. launch of the Saturn in many ways, but has there ever been an official explanation as to why they decided to replace the perfectly fine Saturn controller that Japan got with this thing?
>>
>>3009563
Sega of America thought the controller wouldn't be comfortable for American gamers and changed it.

Bet Kalinske will blame SoJ for that too.
>>
>>3009536

I don't know after the GCN, that's when I stopped buying them.

I know that the SNES to N64 kept the same size and design, but the N64 depad is less loose and rattly in the controller and has a better feel to the buttons themself when you press them. The feedback is more crisp and less mushy. It's perfect IMO. PS controllers have the same feel, just separate buttons.

They kept it the same with the GCN controller, but just made it smaller. I have medium hands and that d-pad is hell if you have to use it as your main control. The small edges of that pad will eat at your thumb pretty fast. Should have just went with the regular d-pad. Would have fit too.
>>
>>3009563
Murrican Chadhands.
>>
>>3009580
>Bet Kalinske will blame SoJ for that too.
Kalinske is enough of a a sour loser to do that. He's like a politician.
>>
>>3009581
I really wish more N64 games used the D-Pad. Kirby 64 uses it exclusively and you can change the control style to use it instead of the joystick in Doom 64, but other than that I can't think of it really being used that much. Also does anyone else really like the GC controller or am I the only one?
>>
>>3009542
even in fighting games you dont have to mush buttons faster than the game can accept them.Your hadouken probably works like 3% of the time cause youre a retard and think you need to be faster than the game refreshes inputs at
>>
>>3009653

I also use the D-pad for fighting games like Killer Instinct Gold and Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

>>3009653
>Also does anyone else really like the GC controller or am I the only one?

Yeah. It's genius and great in many ways, but was a missed opportunity. It could have been the best controller ever.

It's still the most comfortable controller for me, and the analog sticks have a great resistance and feel to them. The face button layout is better than even the SNES layout. The triggers with their long smooth throw and then click are still the best.

However it fucked itself by being cheap in many areas. It lacked a select button and another z trigger. It didn't have the analog clicks like the PS and Xbox controllers, and it didn't have analog sensitive buttons all over like the PS2 and PS3 did. That severely limited the capability and for ports. If it had those things added to it, along with a bigger D-pad it would be the GOAT controller.
>>
>>3009673
>It's still the most comfortable controller for me, and the analog sticks have a great resistance and feel to them. The face button layout is better than even the SNES layout. The triggers with their long smooth throw and then click are still the best.
This. It's lovely to hold. It feels nice and solid too - and the handles are far more ergonomic than the PS controller.

I love the squishy action on the start button too.
>>
>>3009680
>I love the squishy action on the start button too.

Yeah. The little round start button is nice to touch. I find myself picking up the controller and just pushing it sometimes for the feel.
>>
>>3008674
only by virtue of the Playstation which has a similar layout due to its origins as a SNES add-on.
>>
>>3009653
I adore the gamcube controller, the way the analogue and c stick have that octoganal edge on the base is so fucking comfy, also the analogue stick has a great texture and holds the thumb well.

My only real complaint is the z button, my index finger doesn't feel comfortable sitting on it passively so I have to stop and think before I press it.
>>
>>3008437
Mega Drive. Shoulder buttons were a good idea but not needed if there's only six main buttons all up. Also, the Mega Drive D-pad is made for easy diagonals, wouldn't want to play an isometric game without it!
>>
>>3008487
no way, Avenue Pad 6 was way better

Duo-RX Controller is just disgusting
>>
>>3009310
The majority of games didn't use 6 buttons. Try again, dickfingers.
>>
>>3009772
It's better even if they only used 2 buttons.
>>
People keep saying the Genesis controller didn't have shoulder buttons. It did, the Mod Button. Just only on the right side and rarely used outside of switching between control options.
>>
File: Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg (334 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
334 KB, 2560x1600
>>3009407
>If only the knockoff USB gods would give us a SNES controller with a Genesis Dpad.
>>
>>3008441
Play fucking Earthworm Jim on the Genesis on the underwater level where you have to jump up and grab the wheel as the shark dudes walk past... do that and come back and tell me that d-pad is convenient.
>>
>>3009829
Earthworm Jim doesn't control well in general
>>
File: Bob.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Bob.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
>>3009829
>thinks the Genesis D-Pad is inconvenient
>also thinks cats are sharks
>>
>>3009785
Yeah, but the Mode wasn't for gameplay, it was purely for switching between 3B and 6B modes.
>>
>>3009837
Not purely, it was used for camera control in Shadow Squadron.
>>
>>3009837
incorrect
>>
>>3009835
It's been a little bit since I've played it. Totally did think they were sharks though. But seriously, you have to be precise as shit or you're gonna get punched and god forbid you made it past a few of them before it happens. That shit was nightmare fuel for me. I thought the game was pretty good/silly but Jesus, that precision is something I couldn't handle.
>>
File: 41VAAWQ9YHL.jpg (21 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
41VAAWQ9YHL.jpg
21 KB, 500x333
>>3008627
You basically described not only the 360 d-pad, but the fucking shitty Logitech Rumblepad too. Holy fuck those were some dark PC times for me. Just look at how this fucking "d-pad" extrudes outward. Dumb piece of plastic.
>>
>>3008751
I'd agree but 6 face buttons with 4 shoulder buttons would open up a lot of options.

Then a nice DPad, two nice analog sticks you can click, two or more center buttons for options and menus, and nice protruding handles to give you a good solid grip.

Oh sorry, got to thinking of a PC USB pad for emulation and other games where you can make your own binds.

>>3009458
Wrong, they were an absolute necessity for 4th gen console FPS
Well, I mean, Zero Tolerance and 32X Doom controlled pretty damn well, but they would have been much better if they had shoulder buttons to use for strafing.

In fact I'd say 32X Doom controls better than SNES Doom for the virtue that SNES Doom has shoulder buttons for strafing, but doesn't actually allow for circlestrafing, wasting lots of potential, while 32X Doom makes the best of what you have (with a 6B pad)

>>3009310
I think the Arcades damaged you.
But then again I'm casual as fuck with fighting games.
>>
>>3008523
serpentine order broski
>>
hey sega people, is there a difference between the genesis and saturn controller d-pads? and what about those sega controllers specifically designed for playstation?
>>
>>3010079
That d-pad is great though. Easily my second favorite after saturn and genesis.
>>
>>3009310

>that unusually large thumbs on the SNES controller
>>
>>3009841
>>3009843
Any other game used "Mode" for gameplay functions?
>>
>>3009458
Wrong, if anything RPGs need them the least.
Take the Mega Man X games, for example. The default control scheme makes it impossible to dash-jump while charging a shot without halting your movement, unless you assign one of the commands to a shoulder button.
>>
Genesis original 3 button controller. I don't think a comfier controller exists. Not until they start making controllers that you can microwave into a amorphous semi-solid state that you can then perfectly mold into your exact hand shape, anyway.

The SNES controller is small, cramped, unergonomic, and its shoulder buttons are badly placed.
>>
>>3010720
Beyond Oasis.
>>
>>3009462
I don't play many fighting games like other people are mentioning, but some games, like Super Hang-On, and other racing games, are much easier to play when you have all your fingers on the buttons. I do tend to instinctively just use one thumb for some games, especially platformers though.

I can see why people say that the SNES controller was better, because the Mega Drive didn't come with the 6-button controller and later games aren't very practical to play with the 3-button controller.

However, I find the Mega Drive controller (both variants) far more comfortable, mainly because of the D-pad. Despite pioneering them, I've never been a fan of Nintendo's d-pads. They feel really stiff and my thumb aches after an hour of playing.
>>
>>3010079
honestly i have that pad, and i like the d-pad.
>>
>>3008774
>If it's not super precise, then it's absolutely not suitable for many types of games.
Gus counter stopped mushihimesama futari ultra one if the hardest gaming achievements imaginable with a stock 360 pad
>>
>>3009509
The N64 controller is by far the worst controller of all time
>>
>>3011445

Not at all, the only flaw it has is the 3D stick that becomes loose with use, but it's still a more precise stick than the dualshock or the 360's stick.
And I say this as someone who has a huge hateboner for the N64, but I still can recognize the controller works well and many of the N64 games couldn't be played as well with others controllers.

If you want to see some of the worst controller of all time check out something like the Jaguar controller.
>>
>>3011445
It's one of the worst first-party controllers. Not the worst first-party controller, but top 3 for sure.

As far as worst controller goes there are so many chink knockoffs none of the first-party controllers would make the top 20.
>>
>>3011520
>If you want to see some of the worst controller of all time check out something like the Jaguar controller.
The hate for the Jaguar controller is kinda overblown. Now the Panasonic 3DO controller was definitely crap. Shit couldn't even register diagonals well.
>>
>>3011527
Worse than the first party controllers for Western developed consoles from Atari, Mattel and Coleco? I think not.
>>
>>3008739
Nah, the mode button was a selector for those games that just wouldn't work with the 6 button controller. It fooled the Genny into believing you were actually using a 3 button controller. I think like, 7 games tops actually used the mode button for anything other than it's intended function.
>>
Genesis 6 button > SNES > Genesis 3 button
>>
I really like the six button Genesis controller, but I kinda like the SNES one more since it has four face buttons and shoulder buttons. If the Genesis controller were like the Saturn controller, then it'd be the best.
>>
I actually like the 3 button controller better than the 6 because you really don't need that many buttons and it feels good to hold. SNES controller is the best of all time, though.
>>
>>3011520
The 64 is good in some senses, but there's two things that absolutely, positively makes it terrible.

1 is "No mechanical grease for you baka gaijins! Enjoy your stick grinding itself to death during use!"
To this day, I don't understand what the reason for this was.

2 is simply ergonomics.
It is perhaps the most abusive thumb stick I have ever used in my life. The top of it is a circular ridged surface, and it is absolutely, positively MURDER on your thumb.
It kind of gives you a bit of grip, but any heavy gameplay subjects the tip of your thumb to serious abrasion, 100%ing Goldeneye made my thumb red and sore like nothing else, no other controller does this. The worst part is if it slips off your thumb as you do some maneuver and it messes up your gameplay and hurts your thumb.

The PS stick might not have -quite- as close precision, but it's gentle on your thumbs, doesn't kill itself from use, and you get two of them, for much more versatility in controls, couple that with later games getting better and better tuned to the sticks in question, and I'd without irony say that I prefer the DS3's overall versatility and ergonomics over the high precision of the N64's hurty stick.

Goldeneye and SM64 was the fucking bomb though bro.
>>
>>3012486

Well definitely agree on the first point. I still need to get me some japanese N64 controllers.

As for the ergonomics, yeah the stick could be softer but I never really had all that much trouble with it hurting my thumb, and I've played lots of Sin and Punishment and Starfox with it.

But yeah we can agree the stick itself could have been built better. I'll still take its precision over any other stick though.
What kills the dualshock for me is the dead zones.
>>
>>3008468
>6 face buttons.
Genesis had 3 face buttons
The 6 button controller was sold separately and is not the primary controller for the system
>>
>>3008549
Everybody needed 6 buttons so they can charge their spindashes faster and better
>>
File: FRAGFX-SHARK-11.jpg (922 KB, 2816x2112) Image search: [Google]
FRAGFX-SHARK-11.jpg
922 KB, 2816x2112
>>3012493
I think if you take the stick apart you should be able to apply your own grease. That is, if you know how to do things like that.

It always bothered me though, what with how you visibly see the white dust building up with use.
The best feeling stick in terms of surface on the top I think I have to say is on my FragChuck, it's got a very gently gritted rubber coating, and the center of it has a divot for your thumb to get a firm grasp on, with no abrasion.
(The precision of the stick is "just ok" though, kinda like the controller itself.)

Also, what do you mean by deadzones?
>>
>>3009673
> and it didn't have analog sensitive buttons all over like the PS2 and PS3 did
Is this feature very useful? Sony even scrapped analog sensitive buttons for DS4.
>>
>>3012513

By deadzones I mean when the stick doesn't register minimal movements and you actually have to push forward more in order for it to read imputs.

I haven't played that many PS1 games with dualshock, or ones that require much precision, but I can give a non-retro example with God Hand on the PS2. To run, you have to double tap the left stick forward, but most of the times I had trouble with it reading my input because I made the first tap slightly too fast and it didn't register it.
>>
>>3008773
>Which is far more logical than low and medium attacks on the 4 face buttons, and high punch on the Left shoulder, or wait, was it the right shoulder?
I liked how the Neo Geo handled this 2bh(pressing 2 buttons at once to perform a heavy punch/kick)
>>
>>3009262
>and if you buy a international SNES it's colored like a gay pride parade
Fuck off,the multi-colored SNES controller is GOAT
The purple shit in the US one is awful
>>
>>3009557
Spindashing is best on a keyboard
Not even kidding

Just fire up an emulator and tie "ABC" to ASD on the keyboard
It's so fucking easy to charge a spindash it's satisfying as fuck
>>
>>3012537
In fact keyboard controls very similar to the "claw" gesture you have to make to piano roll a genesis controller.
>>
>>3011527
>As far as worst controller goes there are so many chink knockoffs none of the first-party controllers would make the top 20.
I dunno...the Atari 5200 controller was fucking awful
>>
>>3012539
It's slighting different tho

In the genesis pad
>Use thumb for d-pad
>use fingers for buttons

In keyboard
>use 3 middle fingers for arrow keys
>use 3 middle fingers for "ASD"
>>
>>3012562
*slightly
>>
>>3012520
>By deadzones I mean when the stick doesn't register minimal movements and you actually have to push forward more in order for it to read imputs.
I don't really experience that on most games, if any at all, typically the sensitivity in later games is adjustable in the options, or I'm emulating or playing a PC game where I can set these things up independently of the actual game itself.

I've never used a DS3 and felt "dammit, the stick wasn't sensitive and responsive enough!", only sometimes did I feel that DS2 and DS1 sticks, but I also suspect that how individual games at the times handle input was just as big culprits as how the sticks were made back then.

I recall there was a Terminator game for the PS2, which featured some sections where you man a turret gun in first person, featuring some of the jankiest and most unresponsive use of twinsticks ever. I played very very few PS1 games made to accept analog input from the sticks, and most PS2 games would handle the sticks alright (except maybe Twisted Metal Black, which would require the use of the DPad for actual precision, while this never hurt my thumb, it did very much tire it).

I never played PSX Doom, or Doom 64, but if you have, how would you compare them, control wise?
Doom 64 was kind of it's own new game, but fundamentally it was Doom, and the high precision of the 64 stick must have counted for something.
The PSX versions of Doom I'm pretty sure had analog support, but they also supposedly had support for the Playstation Mouse, but I'm not sure how it handled.

Eitherway, I kinda liked both the N64 and PSX, despite the flaws of both.
>>
>>3012496
>The 6 button controller was sold separately and is not the primary controller for the system
It might as well had been with some of the later games that practically required it.
>>
>>3012496
Sega made a number of controllers some bundled with different systems. No one said a controller had to be bundled with one particular model of your choosing to qualify as a controller.
The 6 button controller was sold with and the primary controller for at least one MD2 I have.

>Genesis had 3 face buttons
Since you're trying to be a fucking autist, no. The Genesis had one button. The reset button.
>>
>>3008468
You mean SNES for anything including fighters.
>>
File: pic unrelated.jpg (7 KB, 350x225) Image search: [Google]
pic unrelated.jpg
7 KB, 350x225
Not enough of a 'hardcore" gamer to sperg over the feel and sensitivity. I always thought the SNES pads were ingenious with the shoulder buttons (I can't think of any prior art.)

Genesis pads were basically, take what exists, add more (buttons.) Nothing wrong with that since there were just three action buttons. But if not for Street Fighter, the 6 button pad would've otherwise come off as "too much."
>>
>>3014334
>Since you're trying to be a fucking autist, no. The Genesis had one button. The reset button.

... and there was at least one game that actually required that button to be pressed.
>>
>>3014413
Correct. I have several carts that require pressing the reset button.
Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.