[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel like I should get an actual retro console now since I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: m1p4DUDBgYhOJ9c-0T6EMgw.jpg (8 KB, 225x212) Image search: [Google]
m1p4DUDBgYhOJ9c-0T6EMgw.jpg
8 KB, 225x212
I feel like I should get an actual retro console now since I've had multiple CRTs in my house just because I couldn't afford a flat screen. Which one should I start with though? I mean master system looked intresting but I don't know.
>>
>>3007210
A sega genesis! The consoles, controllers, and games are pretty cheap and the library is good as well.
>>
>>3007210
What are you, 15? Just get a part time at McDonalds and a 200 dollar LCD with a PS4.
>>
>>3007210
If you can't afford a $200 flat screen you should be saving your money for rent, food, bus fare to the welfare office, etc. Not wasting it on games. Emulate on your obabaphone.
>>
>>3007221
It's obvious it's some beaner.
>>
>>3007221
no... I just never really had any retro consoles...
>>
Seconding the genesis. Sega stuff is cheap. With Nintendo most of the good games cost bare minimum $20, often more.

What kind of games do you like OP? Do you lean more on action, arcade style stuff or do you lean more towards RPGs and story focused games? How important is multiplayer for you?
>>
>>3007257
I like most arcade style games, I like multiplayer but its not a priority... And the only rpgs I really liked were the mother games and the first phantasy star...
>>
>>3007271
Dude definitely go for the Sega Genesis!

Get Phantasy Star IV, Streets of Rage and Mortal Kombat II
>>
>>3007290
I'll probably do that since I know there's also the sonic games and ristar... And also super fantasy zone was good.
>>
good choice with the genesis brother
>>
>>3007323
Thanks.
>>
>>3007239
Don't bother getting into it. You missed the bandwagon. Retro gaming is expensive and it seems you have bigger things to worry about.
>>
>>3007406
I honestly dont... I mean I say I couldnt afford a flat screen but thats only half of it since I never really felt I needed one up until late. And incase you were wondering Im not really young I just mainly pirate most games which is why i never had a retro console save for ps1 at one point.
>>
>>3007406

>flashcarts don't exist

~80 dollars for 99% of a console's library isn't expensive. You can even try your luck with a cheap chink one if the real ones are too expensive for you.
>>
OP, I'd say go for the most cost effective console.

An xbox OG is unwanted these days. 40, and you can soft mod it with a ton of emulators.

PS1, you can burn games and emulators for nes exist on it. ps1 are $20-$30 if you avoid scum sellers on ebay.

if you must get a sought after console Id get a snes with a knock off everdrive. I say this because it is more cost effective. long games always helped me out in tuff financial times. now that I got a job I aint got no time for final fantasy so I play sega.
>>
>>3007406
i feel lucky, i live in a third world country and here you can ALWAYS find gb/gbc games that are worth $60 on ebay for around $5 or less, and n64 jewels for $15 top, but the problen is that if game is around $2 on ebay, you still have to pay the same $5 or $15 price for it. (sorry for the bad english)
>>
>>3007424
If you pirate all of your shit, it'd probably be cheaper for you to just setup a raspberry pi or something with a bunch of roms, get some controllers, and hook it up to the TV.

Unless you really want the authentic retro console experience.
>>
>>3007271
Dreamcast
>>
If any of your tv's have component input I would suggest a soft mod wii with emulators and a snes pad. Cheap and easy way to run a bunch of old games and have GameCube and Wii/Wiiware titles as well. My total investment was the price of a flashcart.
>>
>>3007762
>An xbox OG is unwanted these days. 40, and you can soft mod it with a ton of emulators.
And it puts out awesome analog video. I love these things.

This guy knows what's up too about the PS1. A fat PS1 is 9.99 at my own local retro store. Good games are aplenty.
>>
>>3008017
>I paid more than $10 for a wii
O.M.G!
>>
>>3007221
I want Neo /v/ to leave.
>>
>>3008563
I agree with you and the anon you're replying to. I also want the underage to leave.
>>
>>3008128
But no 240p with xbox emulators.
>>
>>3008161
Wii w/ remote and cables $25.00 craigslist
generic wii sfc controller $15.50 ebay
monoprice cmpnt cable $ 3.00 monoprice
kingston class 10 32gb sd $16.00 amazon

59.50 total for so much emulated goodness.
>>
It depends on what you're looking for in playing reteo games.
Do you just want to play the games and have fun? Are you new to retro type games and want to experience what the generation before you did? Stick with a cheap CRT, get the consoles, I suggest a snes and genny to start, and get one of those everdrives so you can just pirate roms and enjoy games. I noticed you mentioned you already pirate games, so this is probably your best bet.

Buying an HDTV/LCD for retro games brings it's own host of problems. Most notably, the inherent shittyness of 240p retro gaming content on new tvs. New tvs just aren't built to handle the type of component video signal that retro gaming consoles out put.
If you absolutely must go the hdtv route keep in mind you'll need an emulation machine, like a Retron 5, and that's IF you have original carts. Else, simply hook up your pc to your tv somehow, but with a physical connection like VGA (make sure your hdtv supports vga, or your pc has options for hdmi out. Most hdtvs nowadays don't support vga, but the good news is every new laptop can output hdmi.) The reason I mentioned physical connections between your pc and tv, is because you do NOT want to use any sort of streaming or networking type of connecting because of the inherent lag these technologies have. And from there just run an emulator. Or just buy one of those android boxes. And yes, you could always hook up your systems to your tv but theu will look awful.

And then you have the true autists who insist on using original hardware and the original carts on an hdtv. These suckers must absolutely use an upscaler like a xrgb mini aka the framemeister, and have space for all their shit. Not to mention all the goddamn cords. This option is probably the worst for you, it would require the most amount of money and you said you're poor... so yeah.

Hope my post was informative anon.

Ps. The latter group of people I described is what I do.
>>
>>3007210
So if i could only have one old system it would be a SNES, i love rpgs and to me other than pc's its the best for it
>>
>>3008841
What? I've done that before though.
>>
Get a Mega Drive and a Master System converter. But if you're a yankee don't bother with the Master System.
>>
>>3009528
No you haven't faggit. Look at this 480i babby
>>
>>3009541
>google this
>it's true
Holy shit.

For the record I have 480p at home, but went to a friends with composite and didn't think of the resolution.

Thanks for learning me something anon.
>>
>>3009568
This is why Dreamcast is the true emulation king for those seeking 240p plus gaming. That and its zero copy protection. It does 480i and 480p also, it's like the proto-Wii.
>>
>>3010346
The genesis emulator has a lot of slowdown though, especially in megaman wily wars.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.