[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite arcade game? From your childhood? Now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11
What's your favorite arcade game? From your childhood? Now?

Thunder Blade has always been my favorite.
>>
File: heroes_in_a_half_shell.jpg (94 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
heroes_in_a_half_shell.jpg
94 KB, 1280x720
>>3007012

>from childhood
Blew my god damn mind that there was a TMNT game that LOOKED EXACTLY LIKE THE CARTOON WITH ALL THE SAME CHARACTERS. It was such a triumphant moment when I first saw this game, like some sort of vindication after playing the first NES game.

>Now
SadlyI haven't really played a 'new' arcade game since DDR machines in the early 2000's.
>>
I remember really enjoying Hang-on and stun runner in the arcades.

At home I really liked Virtual-On on my Saturn.

The last one I recently really got into was was Galaxy Force 2, which is an amazing game once you can 1CC it, and Strider.
>>
>childhood
I didn't play in arcades enough to be able to pick a favorite, but I always spend 90% of my money on light gun games.

>now
Beatmania IIDX.
>>
>>3007012
I always liked Space Harrier. Fantasy zone is a close second.
>>
>>3007064

Just wanted to add Virtua Cop 1 and 2 to my list. And Time Crisis.
>>
File: 2644929-1908084082-Kishi.jpg (32 KB, 320x243) Image search: [Google]
2644929-1908084082-Kishi.jpg
32 KB, 320x243
>>3007012
>Childhood
I always have a soft spot for the first two Double Dragon games, even if people don't appreciate them as much nowadays compared to other beat-'em-ups. The AC Contra and Shinobi games are cool too.

>Now
Nothing in particular. I've been playing Radiant Silvergun lately on the Saturn. Gaiapolis is awesome as well.
>>
>>3007125
Shinobi is pretty great. I also liked that one alex kidd game they released in arcades... most sega arcade games were great the more I think about it.
>>
File: Sonics_UGC_PS3_ESRB1.jpg (560 KB, 1000x1151) Image search: [Google]
Sonics_UGC_PS3_ESRB1.jpg
560 KB, 1000x1151
I played Super Thunder Blade (Sega Genesis version of Thunder Blade). I have played Space Harrier, Shinobi, and Altered Beast (arcade versions). I should mention that I played them on the * PS3 with the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

* I know the PS3 is not retro but the games on that particular PS3 disk are retro.
>>
>>3007186
Altered beast isn't that good to be honest, it's just that the MD/Genesis port came out at the right time and because of that it's fondly remembered.
>>
this thread is filled with SEGA, as it should be

but let's not forget Outrun
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (348 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
348 KB, 1920x1080
>>3007254
SEGA is kind of the arcade.
>>
>>3007012
I never went much to arcades as a kid, but my favourite ones were Metal Slug X, or any Metal Slug, Time Crisis and Virtua Tennis.
>>
>>3007254
Outrun was great... Anyone here play galaxy force? I ask because I havent gotten around to it yet.
>>
>>3007193
I loved Altered Beast as a kid. It's not Sega's best but it is fun.
>>
>>3007272
See, liking it is fine but objectively its not the best of games.
>>
File: starwarsArcade_SitDownCabinet.jpg (50 KB, 442x480) Image search: [Google]
starwarsArcade_SitDownCabinet.jpg
50 KB, 442x480
Wireframe 3D blew my mind back then. Threw way too much away on it.
>>
>>3007012
Dat bass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEQdUPcu_j0
>>
>>3007275
This thread is about favorites, not 'objective best'.
>>
>>3007356
I know, I just felt like sharing. Hell, I like altered beast too...
>>
My dick. Best joystick support I've ever encountered. Graphics detail like you wouldn't believe, and great multiplayer as well.

Unfortunately, it completely lacks sound hardware.
>>
>>3007012
>What's your favorite arcade game? From your childhood?

Either TMNT, 6-Player X-Men, or Street Fighter II.

>Now?

Either Metal Slug 3, King of Fighters '98, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, NBA Jam, or WWF WrestleFest.
>>
any sega model 1,2,3 naomi naomi2 game
>>
>>3007415
That technically counts too if you ever did anything of the sort in an arcade.
>>
>>3007429
It was an arcade. In my pants.
>>
File: propcycle.jpg (46 KB, 579x640) Image search: [Google]
propcycle.jpg
46 KB, 579x640
PROP CYCLE

Oh my god, everything about it. It's so fun. The graphics, the controls, the wind blowing in your face...I feel like I'm flying every time. It's so hard to find an arcade that has this machine. A few months ago Portland had it at their retro game con though. I must have played it at least 7 times.
>>
>>3007473
Ok... I guess that counts.
>>
>>3007012
>From your childhood?
I didn't go to a lot of arcades when I was a kid, but I knew that Metal Slug would always bring me fun times, so I have to pick that.

>Now?
D&D: Shadows over Mystara or Metal Slug 3, not sure.
>>
>>3007415
>multiplayer

Using both hands doesn't count, nerd
>>
>>3007507

I don't think someone stuck with the "Slim" hardware revision should talk, poorfag. Mine put the original XBox to shame.
>>
My uncle used to have Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 before he sold it for Golden Tee. I think UMK3 sparked my love for fighting games. These days my favorite arcade game is either Vampire Savior or JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

My local arcade's selection has slowly become more shit. They removed their Tekken 2 machine but still has fucking War Gods. Last I checked they still had the Namco essentials, Daytona USA, and X-Men Vs Street Fighter so it's not all terrible.
>>
>>3007617
>but still has fucking War Gods.
Did anyone ever liked that crap? Not even MKfags talk about it.
>>
>>3007012
>What's your favorite arcade game?
Of the thousands I've played? From pong to those stupid fish shooing games? I have to pick one?

>From your childhood?
Guess that would have to be one of the periscope games. Pong was fucking boring playing against geezers who didn't know the channel dial made the paddle move.

>Now
That's the same question and the first one
>>
>>3007340
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjVofpXGM5c the arranged version is amazing the original OST feels like an 80s action show so glad M2 ported it to the 3DS
>>
>>3007012
>from your childhood
Probably MvC or SFA3, played them a lot
>now
I have maany favorite arcade games now, but right now i'm digging Battle Garegga.
>>
as a lil kid, michael jackson's moonwalker, tmnt, simpsons, and xmen were all at chuckie cheese. cant even remember playing any game beside those. can't pick which is my fave doe.

teenager or a lil older i liked time crisis, sfa3, sfiii3s, mvc1&2

nowadays mostly shooters in arcades
>>
>>3007012
How does this compare to Space Harrier, Galaxy Force, and Afterburner? It seems like that, and I like that kind of game.
>>
File: 1271514-gfs_46647_2_1.jpg (44 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1271514-gfs_46647_2_1.jpg
44 KB, 640x480
Childhood was Marvel Super Heroes

Now is a toss-up between Donkey Kong, Galaga, or Pacman.
>>
Galaga
>>
File: wingwaru[1].png (12 KB, 496x384) Image search: [Google]
wingwaru[1].png
12 KB, 496x384
>>3007254
>>3007261
>>3007272
>>3007136
>SEGA
You guys want pray game?!
Prepare for razzle-dazzre!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meYx9RuCAQY&list=PLERMa_rC7dQb9A0eQgJNah4poq41jts2l

R360 was the 360-degree Sega attraction cab that if you were lucky enough to have ever encountered almost definitely had the included After Burner clone called G-LOC in it. This game was mediocre but Wing War was an incredible one on one VS dogfighting game similar to [double spoiler for not retro]Crimson Skies[EOL] but with just one arena and crazier physics, plus some of the best flat-shaded polys ever

While I couldn't really choose a favorite arcade game, Wing War in an R360 is certainly impressive.
>>
>>3011609
>Fokker vs.Lightning
That dude should be fucked.
>>
File: Wing_War_-_1994_-_Sega[1].jpg (155 KB, 1440x1115) Image search: [Google]
Wing_War_-_1994_-_Sega[1].jpg
155 KB, 1440x1115
>>3011873
Arcade physics. Despite being based on real aircraft, they're pretty balanced
>>
For me it's a three way tie between the original Mario bros, ikari warriors and double dragon. Never been able to just pick a true number one favorite.
>>
>>3011927
>original Mario bros
"I used to have friends, but then I played Mario Bros" the game
>>
Street Fighter 3 third strike, Area 51, Daytona USA, Pacman, Galaga, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Addams Family Pinball, silent scope, and Mortal Kombat 2.

Its hard for me to pick a specific favourite out of these games but I did play marvel vs capcom 2 and sf3 a lot more then any other game, I think.

Its not like I had very fond memories of spending time in the seedy as fuck local arcades to begin with, but goddamn it would be nice to actually go to an arcade again, as they existed when I was a kid
>>
>>3007012
Robotron 2084.
It still kicks my ass and I love it to this day.
>>
>>3011954
I went to Disney Quest recently and it was based.

The future is a VR playground paired with a bunch of arcade cabinets in an expansive building with shops, abd food courts.
>>
Daytona is godly. I loved Strider but Sunset Riders and Final Fight must be my top two arcade games. It shits me that I can't find classic games in arcades.
I'm in Japan and have access ti arcades, but there ain't no Golden Axe in them babies no more. Still enjoy watching some lonely otaku play some game like a champ tho
>>
>>3011989
I think Hey akihabara is filled with retro goodness.
>>
There's too many to list. I used to love them all whenever I went to various arcades when I was a kid. Really loved Street Fighter 2, Samurai Shodown, NBA Jam, Galaga, and Mortal Kombat. Of course XMEN, Simpsons, and TMNT were the shit. Really loved Neo Geo. Just anything Neo Geo.
>>
>>3011996
Cheers anon, sadly I am kansai ใงใ™ใ€‚
>>
File: 1455908572385.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1455908572385.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
>>3007051
When will THAT fucking get a thread?
Jesus thank god there's no pictures of me in the arcades back in 1999-2003. Might have even owned a visor.
>>
>>3011989
>Sunset Riders
Mah nigga
This was the ultimate game to play with your bros
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.