[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 13
File: aladdin.png (162 KB, 800x280) Image search: [Google]
aladdin.png
162 KB, 800x280
>>
The Exodus game by far, because of dat fuckin' sword.
>>
Genesis game is better. SNES version gets boring quickly but IMO looks better.
>>
In a vacuum? Virgin. Compared to every other platformer of the same era? Capcom. Virgin at the time was cranking out game after game that all played the same, several of which were based on Disney movies.
>>
File: Aladdin_(USA)-18.jpg (121 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Aladdin_(USA)-18.jpg
121 KB, 640x480
>dat tight acrobatic gameplay
>>
>>3004936
I swear I had the SNES version on a pirated Genesis cartridge when I was a kid.
>>
>>3004975
Holy shit, I was right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3WYz7zJ5oo
>>
>>3004990

Woah, didn't knew this existed.

The physics look all sort of fucked though.
>>
>>3004936
RAAAAAAGE OH MY GOD I'M SO FREAKING MAD RIGHT NOW OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH RAAAAAAAAAGE!
>>
File: Aladdin_(SMS)_03.png (6 KB, 496x384) Image search: [Google]
Aladdin_(SMS)_03.png
6 KB, 496x384
I propose MS/GG.
>>
Why is it always Aladdin that´s used to show which is the best console? There are better options.
>>
File: 1453412438182.jpg (42 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1453412438182.jpg
42 KB, 640x640
>Segafag
>never bothered to play Alladin or most of Disney movies licensed games, only Little Mermaid on NES (it's actually good)
>after seeing all those threads tried to play Alladin on Genesis
>mfw it's an average game with good animations

I can't believe /vr/ from all places can discuss this game until auto-sage, you really like some console wars. B-BUT IT'S NOT A CONSOLE WARS, IT'S ONLY VIRGIN X CAPCOM
>>
>>3004936

girl version vs boy version
>>
>>3004970
why is everything so fucking cute and over the top in the snes version? makes me sick
>>
>>3005162

bump, anyone?
>>
>>3005189
bump
>>
>>3005189
>>3005195
man...
>>
>>3005162

Cause it was made by Capcom who did all the Disney platformers this way. Pure eye candy but cutiefied.
>>
>>3005162
Confirmed; MegaDrive appeals mostly to the edgy, angsty teenagers.
>>
>>3004970
I always thought movement was reminiscent of prince of persia in that game. PoP was a bigger hit in Japan than the rest of the world, right?
>>
>>3005230

>MegaDrive appeals mostly to anyone not under 12.

ftfy
>>
>>3005136

Little Mermaid is also by Capcom, like SNES Aladdin. You should give the SNES game a try, it's not a 10/10 game but it's still a good platformer with good controls, very enjoyable.

>>3005239

But unlike PoP, Capcom's Aladdin relies heavily on momentum-based platforming (bouncing off enemies and objects consecutively, etc). The only PoP-like thing is that Aladdin can hold on to ledges.
Also, I wouldn't be sure if PoP was a bigger hit in Japan than in the rest of the world, I don't think so.
>>
you should own both versions in your collection my friends ^^
>>
>>3004936
I've never really liked Virgin's level design or the way their platformers handled. While Aladdin for the SNES is far from the best platformer on the system it has a nice sense of momentum to it and some really clever stages.

Also, while Virgin's Aladdin easily has better animation the colors and backgrounds look way nicer in the Capcom one, so I think they're pretty even aesthetically.
>>
SNES - y better graphics, better sound, and much funner gameplay

Genesis - better animation, the sword.
>>
>>3005130
No clear winner means endless shitposting potential.

See also: SCV4 vs Bloodlines, Contra III vs Hard Corps.
>>
>>3004943
As a SNES fag I was jealous of the MD version's grittier, high-contrast graphics.
>>
>>3004956
>Virgin at the time was cranking out game after game that all played the same, several of which were based on Disney movies.
But so were Capcom. Weren't they famed for it? They were usually pretty good though. Don't know about Virgin so much.
>>
File: truth.gif (483 KB, 500x235) Image search: [Google]
truth.gif
483 KB, 500x235
Virgin Aladdin:
+ animation by Disney
+ can attack with a sword
+ levels are more interesting
+ bgm complements the movie
- "floaty" controls
- hitboxes are wonky

Capcom Aladdin:
+ richer color palette
+ more flexible gameplay
- soundtrack is hit or miss
- levels are too linear
- less fun attack methods
- not as true to the film

The winner: Aladdin by Dave Perry
>>
>>3005987

I prefer the Capcom's level design (more linear, but tighter and more focused, not a big fan of western-style "maze" design), and while I guess having a sword is cool, I didn't feel it was satisfying to use. I found it pretty lame that the way to deal with the final boss was by throwing apples, that final boss was a big let down, very anti-climatic.

I also don't care too much about if the games are more "true to the film" or not, but did Aladdin ever use a sword in the movie? Maybe he did but I can't remember, haven't watched that movie since the 90s.
>>
File: aladdin-snes.jpg (54 KB, 640x453) Image search: [Google]
aladdin-snes.jpg
54 KB, 640x453
>>3004936
>that blatant false advertising
Capcom should be ashamed.
>>
File: Aladdin 6.80.jpg (41 KB, 209x384) Image search: [Google]
Aladdin 6.80.jpg
41 KB, 209x384
>>3006006

Interesting of that cover is that Disney let Capcom use Genie on the cover.
Shinji Mikami was upset about that, in Japan they couldn't put Genie in it because of whatever copyright reason. (he is on the back cover though)
>>
>>3006001
I think he used a sword in the TV show, but I don't think he ever needed one in the movie because he preferred evasion to direct combat (which imo doesn't work very well for a game if you just run away from everything). Did he use apples to kill people in the film too?
>>
>>3006021
>Did he use apples to kill people in the film too?

Not that I remember, ironically I think the one who threw apples AND used a sword in the movie was Abu, not Aladdin.
>>
They're both kind of shitty in their own way
>>
>>3006021

Hell no, apples are far too valuable.
And no sword either, there is the "HE'S GOT A SWORD!" scene with Abu and that's it.
>>
>>3006041
Well then, since neither are authentic to the movie, the Genesis version is better for the mere fact you get both sword and apples to use, thereby giving you more options to attack with.
>>
>>3005239
>PoP was a bigger hit in Japan than the rest of the world, right?

Are you insane? PoP was a big hit EVERYWHERE including Japan. POP was a massive fucking success worldwide.

>inb4 "hi Jordan"
>>
>>3004936
Genesis game if you're a true redblooded patriotic American hero, SNES game if you're a disgusting weeaboo who believes anything Mikami shits out is gold.
>>
>>3006071

Thank god I'm not american, I'll stay with Capcom version then :^)
>>
>>3006062

I wasn't really arguing which is better. As I said I don't like the sword controls on the virgin game too much, I prefer the momentum-based platforming of the SNES game, bouncing on enemies and what not.
But still I'm find it you find the Genesis version better, this is the typical endless discussion, we'll never agree if we like different kind of games.
>>
>>3006081
Kill yourself, third-world scumbag.
>>
>>3006071

Dave Perry is Irish though.
>>
>>3006092
The Irish are america's best friend.
>>
>>3006086
>If you're American, you must have shitty taste.
Makes sense, shitty consoles always have a bigger slice of the market in America compared to any other county.

Genesis
Nintendo 64
Xbox original & 360
>>
>>3006101

Speak for yourself lard.
>>
>>3006102
Was for >>3006071
>>
>>3006102

I guess you quoted the wrong post, but nigga, Genesis and N64 are fine.
Dunno about Xbox, not retro.
>>
>>3006102
>he didn't like the Atari 2600
What a fucking plebian.
>>
>>3006102
Nintenyearolds really need to be purged from 4chan tbqh.

Here's a better place for your kind:
http://www.nintendolife.com/forums
>>
>>3006104
>implying it isn't true
Both nations fought for their freedom, unlike pussy Canucks, Scots, Kiwis and Ozzies. That makes them closer than anyone else in the world.
>>
>>3005230
and snes only appeals to emasculated transsexuals from tumblr. Who else is going to enjoy all that jrpg melodrama?
>>
>>3006001
If you think genesis aladdin levels are mazes you might be retarded
>>
File: SAGE.png (7 KB, 1076x1000) Image search: [Google]
SAGE.png
7 KB, 1076x1000
>>3005136
People should sage like this:
>>
>>3005230
Well the Genesis was marketed that way by Sega. So yeah.
>>
File: aladdinvirgin.png (471 KB, 2270x1127) Image search: [Google]
aladdinvirgin.png
471 KB, 2270x1127
>>3006440

Uh... yeah, the level design on Virgin's game is more maze-like, more typical of western level design compared to the more arcade, straightforward design in japanese games.
Which doesn't necessarily mean that I get lost in them or that I think they're complicated.
>>
>>3006624
Western games have you going all over the place. Yep.
>>
>>3005857
>SNES - y better graphics
Nope
>SNES - much funner gameplay
Nope
>>
>>3006647
Yep and Yep
>>
File: SuperMetroidMapMaridia.png (3 MB, 8560x5168) Image search: [Google]
SuperMetroidMapMaridia.png
3 MB, 8560x5168
I guess westerners made Super Metroid then.
>>
>>3006651
Oh you mean the series that never sold well in Japan? You don't say.
>>
>>3006665
>moving the goalposts
As expected of someone who uses retarded generalisations such as "west=non-linear, east=linear".
>>
File: stage5.png (466 KB, 3600x1136) Image search: [Google]
stage5.png
466 KB, 3600x1136
>>3006651

Of course it's not a rule and there are exceptions, there are also some western platformers with more linear level design, but they're few compared to the ones with maze-like design.
Also, I'd argue Metroid is a different kind of game, it's not just "maze-like", but an actual maze and there are no separate levels, just one big map. Completely different design philosophies.

Pic related, more typical western level design.
>>
>>3006669
From my personal experience that generalization is mostly correct, westerners prefer freedom and exploration over linearity and execution. I never implied Japs didn't like open ended maps or Westerners couldn't make linear levels, though.
>>
I'd argue even Metroid is linear as fuck since you're supposed to do the upgrades in order until the internet figured out how to sequence break through several glitches.
>>
I like both.
>>
>>3006651
There's a pretty big difference in the design philosphies of metroidvania titles and virgin games platformers anon.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.