[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this series any good? Gets hyped by Saturnfags all the time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: SW_Sega_Saturn_cover.jpg (34 KB, 372x292) Image search: [Google]
SW_Sega_Saturn_cover.jpg
34 KB, 372x292
Is this series any good? Gets hyped by Saturnfags all the time but they never give reason outside that it was popular in Japan.
>>
>>3004461
iirc it's a dating sim / VN combined with a SRPG, and the setting is in in an all-girl elite military squad who pilot steampunk mechas.

That should neatly sum it up why it is popular in japan.
>>
>>3004461
oh, and as for how popular it is, it was one of the best selling Saturn games, it got ported to PC and Dreamcast, and it got anime and shitload of sequels for a good ten years (I stopped paying attention circa Sakura Taisen 5 on the PS2).

So, one of the more popular Sega franchises that is not Sonic or Hatsune Miku or Yakuza.
>>
>>3004481
But...is it actually any good?
>>
>>3004482
Nope. When the ps2 game finally was translated no one gave a shit about it.
>>
>>3004485
Because you can totally recreate a long franchise's success in japan with just one game?
>>
>>3004482
Do you like those genres or not? Whats so hard to understand?
>>
is it translated?
>>
>>3004493
Never played a dating sim or VN ever.
>>
>>3004496
In Russian.
>>
>>3004505
That is worse than no translation at all!
>>
>>3004496
There's the problem, only one game got officially released here.
>>
>>3004515
I have the ps2 game, yet to play it a ton but it seemed enjoyable.
>>
>>3004513
>That is worse than no translation at all!
The Saturn game has a translation on Gamefaqs
>>
>>3004485
>Nope. When the ps2 game finally was translated no one gave a shit about it.

That was most likely cause it was a PS2 game released in 2009.
>>
>>3004526
So you have to play it with a laptop handy at all times? Seems like a really cumbersome way to play.
>>
>>3004530
Print it out?
>>
>>3004527
Was on Wii too.
>>
>>3004558
Why we mentioning non-canon systems?
>>
>>3004530
>So you have to play it with a laptop handy at all times? Seems like a really cumbersome way to play.

Just open the guide on your phone...

>>3004558
That's even less relevant.
>>
>>3004589
>>non-canon systems

What the hell is a non canon system?
>>
>>3004595
Anything after Dreamcast.
>>
>>3004485
That was because it was the fifth game in the series and also widely considered the weakest entry. Rather they should've localized the first two games but Nippon Ichi are retarded.
>>
>>3004461
The Japanese voted it as the best Saturn game.
>>
File: sakura-wars.jpg (564 KB, 849x1200) Image search: [Google]
sakura-wars.jpg
564 KB, 849x1200
>>3004461
Sakura Wars is a pretty fun series, but it is for hardcore weeaboos only.
>>
>>3004461
I really like the steampunk setting, the characters are likable enough... not outstanding but they were designed back in a "purer" era, I guess.

The Strategy game part really won't be blowing anyone away though due to its simplicity so it's not a game you can play if you don't understand Japanese (though the first game apparently has a full script translation)
>>
>>3004482

I loved the 5th one, which apparently is a pretty weak entry. So I can only imagine the highly regarded ones are just amazing. The company who does them is great too, Red.

Is there a translation of it available now, because I would love to play them.
>>
>>3004530
there's a windows version.

The fan translation group working on the PC version is about 40% of the way done:
https://iwakuraproductions.wordpress.com/2016/01/29/iwakura-ps-state-of-the-union/
>>
>>3004812
Thanks for the knfo anon, i actually just recently nought a saturn and was thinking of playing it on thag, but I suppose I would be better off waiting for the windows version.
>>
>>3004812
Any idea where to get that port?
>>
>>3004795
I thought SEGA made them?
>>
>>3004497
Then try it and see how you like it.
I think it combines RPG and dating way better than stuff like Persona or FE.
>>
>>3004795
>Is there a translation of it available now
The PC version is translated to Russian
>>
>>3004656
But it is much better on Dreamcast. Has some neat additions and you can carry savefile through all 4 games available on Dreamcast.
>>
>>3004849
They actually released two games in Russian, and full translation was done for the third one, but it was never released for unknown reason (according to one translator)
>>
>>3004849
Does Maria get improved stats and lock you to her route only in this version?
>>
>>3004461
It has god tier OP, so it can't possibly be bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kk0lPwMD48
>>
>>3004843

I thought it was Red developed, Sega published but I may be wrong.
>>
>>3005839
Red owns the characters, the games were actually developed by the people who made Skies of Arcadia, Valkyria Chronicles and the classic Phantasy Star games.
>>
>>3005849
Here's a complete list of their games, btw.

http://segaretro.org/Sega_CS2
>>
>>3004461
>>3004672
The doujins are very fwappable. Too bad no real eroge versions of gaimus.
>>
I've only played the first one and it was okay. The srpg parts are ridiculously easy but I guess most people are playing for the dating sim aspect anyway.
>>
>>3004461
generic steampunk haremshit datesim vn srpg, blackships everywhere
>>
>>3004672
>all these strong women cannot win without gary stu beta male
>>
>>3004481
It apparently had a cafe too.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.