[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Link to the Past or Castlevania IV?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: s-l300.jpg (53 KB, 858x273) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
53 KB, 858x273
I can get either of these tomorrow. Make your arguments for either (note that I am not asking for a decision to be made for me, I ain't do that shit).

Actually want to talk about Link to the Past for a bit. Is it worth getting, as a Zelda fan, in this present-day, when I own the N64 remakes and Link Between Worlds (arguably the best Zeldas all in my hand right there). I've honestly only ever gotten to the first Dark World dungeon as a kid. Would completing it now be a fulfilling experience, you think?

Also general vs. thread. Go.

I also swear to Christ this has nothing to do with Egoraptor
I only now remember that he did videos on both
>>
>>3004190
i dont know what the fuck you're babbling about but i'd just get both if possible, castlevania is excellent but if you don't have zelda it's a must
>>
>>3004190
I would get castlevania. Try something different.
>>
Well isn't the castlevania cart literally 5 times as much as the Zelda cart?
Choice seems pretty obvious to me.

However, if you don't care about that I highly suggest getting and finishing lttp anyways. Hell, just get both of youre already willing to plop down the dough in castlevania
>>
>>3004190
And what drugs are you on? Settle the fuck down fampai.
>>
File: skellingtons.jpg (28 KB, 573x128) Image search: [Google]
skellingtons.jpg
28 KB, 573x128
>>3004208
I'm stopping by the place tomorrow but I have word that Castlevania will probably only be like ten buck more than Zelda. Don't really wanna plop down for both.

>>3004206
A valid point. Played a lil' bit of IV as a kid, and that's about all the Castlevania I've ever had. Used cheat codes to get to the final boss stretch. Cool music. Fun times. 2spooky4me.

>>3004209
Amphetamines and PCP.
>>
From a bang for the buck standpoint you're probably better off with Zelda. That isn't to say that SCIV is bad, but it's not that difficult of a game to finish in one sitting. Zelda will take you some more time to collect everything and explore.
>>
>>3004753

8:45 for me last time I played it. Got 100% on it with no help too. Not bad for not playing the game in 5 years.
>>
>>3004190
Zelda has more replay value , and IMO is more fun. But if castlevania is worth alot more so either your getting a good deal on castlevania or ripped off for zelda.
>>
File: 1442156320697.jpg (16 KB, 204x162) Image search: [Google]
1442156320697.jpg
16 KB, 204x162
>>3004873
Forty bucks for Zelda. I'd say that ain't bad.
>tfw you see Majora's Mask 64 there for the same price just about every day, only after you decided to just buy the 3DS version
>>
>>3004226
Out of curiosity how much they want for sciv? 40?
>>
>>3005198
I don't know, I still see LttP at the flea market for $20 very consistently. Finally managed to get MM for $25 the other day, but that was certainly a rare find.
>>
Link to the Past is one of the greatest games every made. It's still extremely playable today.
>>
>>3005207
I was talking to a small time employee who didn't know the set prices, but he was guessing fifty. talking to the manager today, when it goes on the shelf.
>>
>game where you prance around the forest as a fuccboi with magic creatures
>game where you dispatch degenerates from their wretched hives of evil

Definitely Castlevania, unless you're some effeminate Bernie voter.
>>
>>3005263
Well I guess that decides it.
feel the Bern
>>
File: happyhappy.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
happyhappy.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
Just came home a bit ago with Link to the Past.
Possibly the best decision I've ever made in my life (no hyperbole).

Also, observation: I haven't played this thing since I was a kid, and this isn't nostalgia speaking, but just playing the intro, all the way up to Kakariko, this game is fucktons better than Ocarina, fucktons better than a lot of modern Zelda games. It just throws you into the shit. Had fun even though I already knew almost all of what to do (forgot I got that boomerang so early, tho).
>>
Castlevania was $50, by the way. Didn't feel like doubling up today.
>>
File: image.jpg (11 KB, 220x216) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11 KB, 220x216
>>3004208

>doesn't know the difference between castlevania iv and Dracula x
>>
>>3004190
>Best Zelda or Worst Castlevania?
I think you made the right call.
>>3007056
It's good to be lost; adds to that feeling of adventure. That's why I feel like the N64 Zelda games are the truly last great ones, because at least you get that feeling in the dungeons. Although from what I've read, A Link Between Worlds seems like it continues the non-linearity tradition. With the newest Zelda being open-world, hopefully that means the series is back on track.

Also, even though the latter dungeons are numbered, you don't have to play them in order.

ALSO, it seems like you'd enjoy CRPGs. I'm going to recommend Might and Magic: World of Xeen.
>>
>>3007091
>Worst Castlevania
Ouch. But I think I know what you mean.

Anyway yeah, Link Between Worlds is tits. Not only is it non-linear, they mixed up how you obtain items and it's fukkin great. You could buy/rent whatever item you wanted and realize later that you don't even need it at the moment, or you need a completely different item for the dungeon you want (though it's pretty obvious which item you will need when you approach a dungeon; some you can't even get into without the "assigned" item. Still, it's refreshing.)

>CRPGs
Literally someone else said this in the RPG thread, which I was in. I guess I'm going to have to check these out. Still learning the distinction.
>>
>>3004190
Get Zelda op. LttP is the bigger badder brother of LbW. You will be amazed at how huge the world feels in comparison and LttP still has by far the best dungeon design if any Zelda game to date, followed closely by LA. Yeah yeah 64 dungeons are cool, but for 2d Zelda's, LttP/LA are win.
>>
>>3007547
You missed it, anon, I already got it. Played it long ago too.

Speaking of LbW, observation #2:
Since I got LttP, I started a new file in LbW last night just to see the beginning again since I started it over a year ago. And you know what? Even though the game is a breath of fresh air compared to Skyward Sword, it's definitely not as immediately thrilling as LttP is.
Chalk that up to the fact that it's a modern game, where it's expected to be a great deal more of story, but when you get down to it:

LttP:
>Get a quick, foreboding message
>Wake up
>Wander in the rain
>Immediately rescue Zelda from a dungeon and have an exciting escape
>Get to wander around Kakariko immediately after or go wherever the hell you want

LbW:
>Wake up
>Lots of pressing A and watching dialogue
>Can't leave your front yard unless you save (just learned this, every time I try to walk away from the vane I get stopped).
>More dialogue
>Get to Sanctuary
>More dialogue
>Finally get to do shit on my own
>It's short-lived. Guess what: more dialogue
>Wake up at home
>More dialogue
>Get to do my own shit again and go to the castle
>More dialogue

Like shit, I know it's just the beginning and I know it gets better (I'm actually almost done with the game) but holy Christ, they need to start figuring out a way to spread this shit out better. It's not like a couple short screens of dialogue, it's long-ass conversations where you're just tapping your foot fucking waiting to actually play the goddamn game. I'm all for adding characterization and setting the mood, but Link to the Past does all that in way less time.

Point is, the first twenty minutes of Link to the Past is immensely more entertaining than anything that came after it, sans maybe Majora's Mask.
>>
A Link to the Past starts off really good but is very drawn out and becomes extremely dull. Castlevania IV is okay but one of the weaker entries in the series.

Are there any other games to choose from?
>>
>>3008371
>A Link to the Past starts off really good but is very drawn out and becomes extremely dull.
I never got that feeling from LttP. If anything that describes my experience with the 3D games more, though I wouldn't really say they had that strong a beginning anyways.
>>
File: 1452300073410.jpg (41 KB, 568x598) Image search: [Google]
1452300073410.jpg
41 KB, 568x598
>>3004190

Get a flashcart and play both+most of the snes's library.

But if you have a form of autism that prevents you from doing that, LttP.
>>
>>3008371
>is very drawn out and becomes extremely dull
Interesting, we'll see how it sits with me, I guess, since I never got past the fourth dungeon back when I was a kid. Also I know Egoraptor tried to point out that the game throws an itenerary at you, but honestly I still feel immense freedom in LttP almost right away.

>Are there any other games to choose from?
There was Dracula X ($200) And Mario RPG (super-tempting, $60, but I only wanted to buy one game, really). And some other shit I didn't care about. Turtles in Time or something. :p
>>
>>3008387
I don't know man, I found it really dragged for me. It doesn't have the raw exploration of the original Zelda nor the well realised world of Ocarina and Majora. It seems sort of stuck in the middle to me, the worst of both worlds.
>>
>>3008396
Is it a link between them?
>>
>>3008396
>Ocarina and Majora's worlds
>well realized
They're kinda okay, but still far from "well-realized" in my eyes. They just don't have much of the exploration factor or even the charm the 2D Zelda's overworlds had, even LttP.

While it's true LttP's world kinda lacks in comparison to Zelda 1 (which, honesty should be said of almost all the other entries in the series), I still had a distinct sense of exploration and even some of that wonder that Zelda 1 had that the 3D game's overworlds lacked for me.
>>
>>3008413
Not him, but I think OoT at least had a real lush, beautiful overworld that's just kind of begging to be explored. Problem is they just lock off half of it and make you visit it in a certain order.

You can't tell me you didn't experience a rush of joy when first coming out onto Hyrule Field. (Or maybe you didn't; it's understandably barren-feeling to some).
>>
>>3004190
Neither. Use the money to back back some of what you borrowed from your parents.
>>
>>3009003
What?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.