[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Adventure Island thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: 2361114-nes_adventureisland.jpg (3 MB, 1537x2100) Image search: [Google]
2361114-nes_adventureisland.jpg
3 MB, 1537x2100
Adventure Island thread.
>>
>>3004126
RIP
fuck you konami
>>
>>3004126

First one is hard as fuck

II was always my favorite
>>
>>3004138
2nd one was pure casual tier.

The first one had the timer that was unforgiving and the fucking purple eggplant
>>
>>3004132
yeah to be fair the series was already dead way before Konami bought them
>>
>>3004145
it was on the way to a revival having remade the first games and then that pile of shit for WiiWare came out and ruined any shot it had
>>
File: AdventureIslandII.png (3 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
AdventureIslandII.png
3 KB, 256x224
II, III and IV are god-tier platformers
>>
>>3004143
>>3004138
In all fairness, the first Adventure Island was really just Wonder Boy reskinned. A quality port of it, far better than the SMS port, but still a reskin.
>>
Super has one of the greatest OSTs in game history.
>>
>>3004126
>Finally beat the game after months of practice (arcade version)

>Not the real last boss
>>
>>3004189
>Super has one of the greatest OSTs in game history.

I agree, I love the colorful graphics too. unfortunately gameplay wise it's the weakest game in the series. not having a run button was beyond retarded. really killed the game for me.
>>
File: tumblr_kxgi3jMA8t1qa5kxw.jpg (87 KB, 500x301) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_kxgi3jMA8t1qa5kxw.jpg
87 KB, 500x301
>>3004187
>far better than the SMS port

What would be your reasoning for this? SMS Wonder Boy has the memorable music from the arcade as well as more levels than Adventure Island.
>>
>>3004291

the arcade music sucks to begin with and the SMS version of it is an abomination to my eardrums. also NES version has better graphics and more importantly, tighter controls.
>>
>>3004291
Well, you have to press both shoot and jump at the same time to jump higher than 2 inches off the ground, which makes shit needlessly more difficult. On that note, shooting while jumping is a massive pain in the ass in that port for this reason. I prefer the graphics and sound of the SMS Wonder Boy, but given the choice I'd rather play NES Adventure Island, just because the controls are tighter.
>>
>>3004315
So your case is built entirely on your subjective preference. OK thanks.
>>
>>3004343
You do realize I'm >>3004338 and not >>3004315
, right?
>>
>>3004187
It's even worse when you realize that Adventure Island is just a licensed game to promote some fat weirdo who could press buttons really fast.
>>
>>3004375
Each version of wonderboy had a different character, it's like they didn't feel very confident on the original design.
>>
>>3004387
I'm talking about Adventure Island, though.
And as it was pointed out before, it started out as a complete code theft from Wonder Boy.
>>
File: New Adventure Island (USA).png (114 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
New Adventure Island (USA).png
114 KB, 300x250
>>3004126
>>
>>3004410
Yeah but wonder boy 2 or whatever the one with the rpg elements is, also had a bunch of sprite swaps in every system.
>>
>>3004434
I can think of the PC-Engine version(Bikkaruman World or whatever it was called), but what other ports of Wonder Land had different characters? SMS was pretty spot on if I recall correctly.(It just took out the continue cause FUCK YOU)
>>
>>3004338
>press both shoot and jump at the same time to jump higher than 2 inches off the ground

I've never understood this criticism, it's a similar control scheme from SMB and no one criticises that game for it. You spend the entire game holding down the run button anyway.
>>
>>3004418
That one kicks ass, do any of the other ones have such great dancing?
>>
>>3004508
Because SMB doesn't have jumps where you need to hit an enemy with a fireball perfectly or die. A big part of survival in the game involves being able to shoot on the move, so having to hold down the shoot button to make your jump will fuck you over.
>>
>>3004720
Maybe because SMB is a pleb console game rather than a patrician arcade game.

Adventure Island doesn't even require collection of each level's trophy.
>>
>>3004862
Neither did SMB
>>
>>3004881
Wonder Boy does, console pleb
>>
>>3004338
Wonder boy is easy you casual shit baby
>>
>>3004882
>>3004915

I wish /v/ would go
>>
>>3004923

I wish reddit would go back to their shitty site.
>>
>>3004928
> Says they hate Reddit
> Has never actually been to Reddit
> Just says "fuck Reddit" to seem cool and fit in
>>
>>3004720
git gud
>>
I remember being introduced to this series was through a hack that replaced the main character with mario in adventure island 2.

I had forgotten about this. Thank you OP now i have to play all the games again.
>>
>>3005720
Fuck i broke my english somehow
>>
File: images (1).png (2 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
images (1).png
2 KB, 256x192
>>3004126
Best version
>>
Aside from general autism and clickbait whoring, was there a particular reason matpat thought it was a good idea to say this game was based on the banana wars or some such shit?
>>
Game Theory just makes up fake theories by nerdingly dishing out a bunch of data.
>>
>>3005285
I have been to reddit, you jus want people to call you patrician, a gentleman and a scholar and just upboat whatever the fuck you say no matter how stupid it is. Not how things work here. Wonderboy actually has really solid controls. You should be holding run most of the time like in SMB or Adventure Island then maybe you wont suck so hard. Wonderboy actually has superior controls because its not all or nothing and has a lot more precssion. Sorry you have to play dumbed down ports. I do love adventure island but your arguments are bullshit or casual shit.
>>
>>3007672
Game theory is the most autstic retarded shit ever I used to like when he tried to explain things using events that happened in game and just make up a fun story. Now its just complete bullshit from his asshole and reddit tier jokes. Complete fucking trash
>>
eh it's alright
>>
>>3007681
>You should be holding run most of the time like in SMB or Adventure Island
But Adventure Island doesn't HAVE a run button. It has Jump and Shoot. I figure you already know this, since you just seem to be trying to stir shit up for no reason.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.