[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've always had the feeling that the userbase here is o
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 19
File: cranky kong.jpg (205 KB, 560x298) Image search: [Google]
cranky kong.jpg
205 KB, 560x298
I've always had the feeling that the userbase here is older on average compared to the other boards, but just how long have you guys been playing vidya?

http://strawpoll.me/6846636

To keep the thread fun feel free to post shit like the age you were when you got your first system or just some of your favorite memories from back in the day.
>>
>>3003527
Born in '88. First consoles were an Atari 5200 (I think it was a 5200) and an NES. Not sure which one I had first since I was pretty young.
>>
Born in 90. Been playing as long as I can remember. We had a Genesis and NES in the house since I was born.
>>
91 here. First System was Genesis.
>>
>>3003527
Started my gaming with the NES and Super Mario Bros.
>>
>>3003527

>mfw I'm the only guy who started with Atari 2600
>>
'82. Don't remember exactly when I started playing games, but we had a 2600 and a TRS-80 and I was using both before I knew how to read. Even had Sesame Street edutainment software for the TRS-80. Shit loaded off cassette tapes, was awesome.
>>
>>3003541
90 here too, though the N64 was the first actual console my parents got us.

I did play a shitton of SNES at my cousins and best friends houses thoughout my whole childhood and enjoyed it. Kinda wish I got to experience that gen during its prime though. The jump from 2D to 3D must have been incredible.
>>
'84. First console was an NES for Christmas in '88, which was the Action Set with Super Mario/Duck Hunt. I might had played a few arcade games prior to that though.
>>
Born 1989, first system was a super nintendo, we got an atari 2600 and an NES at a garage sale not long after though.
>>
>>3003527
Does Commodore 64/128 count as second or third generation?
>>
>>3003564
How old are you anon? You must have some interesting things to share.
>>
>>3003527
I've been /v/-ing (on and off) without the retard babies on /v/ since I've been playing Alley Cat(DOS) on my uncle's IBM-clone XT machine.Make a wild guess.
>>
Born in 84, started with an Atari 2600 around 89 I think. Didn't own many consoles though, I played exclusively on PC for about 15 years.
>>
>>3003580
>Commodore 64

Early 80s would be second gen, if I had to pick.
>>
>>3003527
C64 and NES here, later SNES and GEN.
>>
Born in 87.
Grew up with a Com 64 in the basement and my first console was a Sega Genesis.
>>
Born 87
First console was a 2nd hand 2600, shortly afterward we got an Amiga around 1992 as some sort of replacement for my mum's typewriter, but we spent all our time playing games on it.
>>
>>3003596
>>3003607
Oh shit, identical twins
>>
>>3003527
81fag reporting in.
did not get a console till 87-88. It was the NES with mario and duck hunt. I got Zelda soon after and the rest is history.
>pre home console
I was a big arcade kid. There was an arcade that I would go to that had some good cabs. I remember the Star Wars sit in, and a mighty bomb jack. Shinobi came out and I made cumzies.
>>
>>3003527
born in '94
earliest memories include playing dkc f-zero and some vertical scrolling shooter game i cant remember anymore
we also had mortal kombat 3, super mario world, and killer instinct and at one point we could have rented or bought earthworm jim 2 at a local supermarket
i also remember my godparents' house had mario's kindergarten, dkc3 and super mario all stars
>>
85, I played arcade machines here and there since god knows when, and played friends' systems, but I didn't start gaming properly until me and my sister practically forced our mom to get a genesis, around 9 at the time.
>>
>>3003527

Born late '79
First games I played were Atari/Colecovison maybe, but we never owned one of those.

First system I owned was a NES (although no one ever actually said 'NES" then, it was a 'Nintendo') and I consider myself a Nintendo child first and foremost.
>>
'85 here. Had an SNES and every subsequent Nintendo system until the Cube, but it wasn't until I discovered the late 90s/early 00s FPS scene that I considered myself a "gamer". So many goddamn hours spent with friends on the weened playing Quake and Unreal.

Most interest in the hobby was lost near the end of the sixth gen when I got into college, but finding an old NES at a garage sale while getting into AVGNhelped me rekindle it.
>>
87 here.
Brother had a commador 64 before i was born and I remember that from a very early age. Mostly the ghostbusters game and a racing one. They took forever to load.
He got a NES when I was very young too, have a vivid memory of watching him play Mario.
>>
>>3003580
>>3003596
>>3003593
>>3003726

C64 people, were you yuro or americans? Just trying to get an idea of how common C64 was in the states.
>>
>>3003730
West Germany
>>
Born in '86. Started with vidya at around six years old when we got a Watara Supervision in '92, followed by a Game Boy in the same year.

First console was SNES in '93.
>>
Born in '89, first was a Game Boy very early on. Got my first home console in the mid-nineties, but it was a second-hand NES. I continued to be a generation behind everyone else with SNES/N64 until I finally caught up with the GCN.

I'm thankful for it, though. It let me get into and appreciate the NES and since I was a gen behind with every console, finding games was always dirt cheap.
>>
Fuck I'm the oldest one here so far.

Born in 81, first console I played was my neighbour's Intellivision then we got an NES like a year later - Zelda 2 had literally just came out and that was the first actual video game I owned.
>>
1990. Grandma got me a Gameboy Pocket with Mario Land and a few other titles, then my folks picked up a Nintendo 64 not long after. I had family members and friends with NES/SNES systems in their houses so even though they were before my time they were still very much a part of my childhood.

I remember the Dreamcast having been out for a little while and my friends older bro showing me how he could burn all the games for it that he wanted. Kind of a random memory, but it blew my fucking mind.
>>
>>3003808
Whoops, didn't see '79 and another '81 up there. Clearly I need to put my glasses back on.
>>
>>3003527
'84.
Some Atari games- I can't recall the specific system. It was amazing at how many "sports" games they packaged under the "move square into specific location" genre.
We didn't have the money for new systems so we were usually a generation behind until the PS1 days.
>>
Born in '93, turning 23 in a few months so nearly been at it for 20 years.

Started playing vidya at 3 when my Older brother got a N64 and Starfox 64 for his birthday.
Not long after he bought a SNES mini and thats how I started getting into older games.
>>
93'. My older brother got a Genesis before I was born so I started playing that when I was about 3.
>>
>>3003527
I'm early 1994 but for a while I only grew up with a hand-me-down SNES.
>>
Born in '92. Pretty sure my earliest memory is playing Sonic 1 with my brother. I kept running into the first ladybug enemy and dying over and over because I didn't have the reflexes to jump in time.
>>
File: coleco.jpg (33 KB, 618x330) Image search: [Google]
coleco.jpg
33 KB, 618x330
Born in 1985, so just in the middle of 3rd gen.
But the first video games I ever played were on a Coleco Vision.
>>
>>3003527
'80 here. Memory fails me constantly, but the first exposure to vidya I can remember was my older brothers' hand-me-down C64 running Marble Madness and Realm Of Impossibility.
>>
'93, first console was SNES, first game was Yoshi's Island.
>>
>>3003527
Born in 69. Played a lot of arcade games before we got a pong console around 75.
>>
File: fearsome emu-1-1.jpg (100 KB, 777x696) Image search: [Google]
fearsome emu-1-1.jpg
100 KB, 777x696
Born 1977. First console was a 2600. I still have it to this day and it still looks brand new. I like to take care of my things
>>
>>3003527
Born in '96
First console was a PS2, at around the age of 8
When I was a kid I was obsessed with the thing, Sonys marketing did a number on me
I remember actually being slightly disappointed it was a PS2 and not a PS1. No idea why though, kids are dumb I guess.

I like both retro and modern games now. Honestly, I find some of the 'modern games suck' elitism here to be a bit still.

>>3004348
Give us some words of wisdom gramps
>>
>>3003527
Born in '97, but I live in a third-world country so my first consoles were a SNES and a PS1. Didn't get a PS2 until 2009-ish. I mostly played Metal Slug, Mario and DKC with my cousins and neighbours.
>>
>>3004354
*a bit silly
Apologies.
>>
File: srsdog.jpg (9 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
srsdog.jpg
9 KB, 229x220
>>3004450
>this post
>>
>>3003527
I'm 97, first console was a NES.

I we had a couple games for it. My favorite was probably SMB2 or LoZ.

Never got a new console until the Wii was released.
>>
>>3004458
what nigga?
>>
>>3003527

Born in 80. first console was 2600, parents had it before I can even remember. first game I remember playing is Pacman for it.
>>
My dad had a MSX that came out of some moving boxes when I was ~5. Next door neighbor and friends had SMS2s. Finally got a console of my own with a SNES
>>
File: 1282312873574.jpg (9 KB, 251x249) Image search: [Google]
1282312873574.jpg
9 KB, 251x249
>>3004471
>C64 in '78
>Genesis in '81
How high are you right now?
>>
>>3003527
Born in '86. First gaming system we had in the house was a Commodore 64, which was my older brothers. We got a Nintendo shortly after I was born.
>>
>>3003527
Started out in 1988, with an admittedly obsolete Atari 800, lol. A gift from my great uncle to our family.

The very first game I ever played was Pac-man. I still remember the novelty of the experience. My mom (the main gamer in the house at the time) hooking it up, while my dad looked on like a confused ape. And then that first turn I had playing Pac-man. It seemed SO fucking cool that you could control a character on the screen, lol. That shit makes me feel old. My son seems totally at home with that, and he's 13 months old...

Anyway, after that we got several NESes (my brother is literally autistic, so the local agencies who help out families got us one, just because. And my parents had already bought one.). Then we got a Genesis for Christmas one year, when I was 9 years old.

My first personally owned console was an SNES when I was 12, but I only had if for a year and a half before I got my first PSX. That's when I became obsessed and really got into games.

I'll admit that SMB3, Sonic 2 and later Killer Instinct had me glued to the TV for HOURS on end, but nothing ever spoke to me like the good ol' PSX did. RE2 is the greatest thing to ever happen in my life (well, besides the wife and kid, lol)

And for you "HURR! There's no such thing as a PSX!" retards, that's actually what the PS1's nickname was at the time. Literally every PSX magazine called it that, it was industry slang, and I even saw it in ads at the time too. So deal with your OCD and STFU. Please.
>>
>>3003527
born in '96, played on Genesis until we got a PS2
we also had a bunch of PS1 games when we got it, but never a PS1 itself
>>
>>3004580
>And for you "HURR! There's no such thing as a PSX!" retards, that's actually what the PS1's nickname was at the time. Literally every PSX magazine called it that, it was industry slang, and I even saw it in ads at the time too. So deal with your OCD and STFU. Please.

Magazines yes. I remember reading that and thinking 'what the fuck is the X for?' The (in 95, 96, 97 still not very widespread) internet, yes. I figured it was just the 'new cool hip shorthand' there. In person? Never, EVER heard it. And everyone I know had a Playstation.

"PS1" wasn't said until the PS2's release, of course.
>>
Pong in the 70's when I was a little kid (console was my aunt's). Later the typical arcade games of the day: Space Invaders, Galaxian, Phoenix, etc. Than an Atari 2600 (for Joust especially). And later some 8-bit computers, but on those it was more BASIC games like they had in magazines.
>>
>>3003527
Born in 91. First gaming experience was playing Super Mario Bros. on NES with my mom when I was about 3 years old. Been a lifelong gamer ever since. Favorite memories spanning my whole life with video games are as follows:

>going to vidya store with grandparents as a small child to rent NES games since we didn't get a SNES until I was 6 or so
>favorite NES games to date are Monster Party, Adventure Island II (My mom got it shortly before I was born and she passed it on to me) Castlevania 3, and Double Dragon.
>got SNES for Christmas when I was 6 along with Mortal Kombat 3, Donkey Kong Country 3, X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse, Claymates, and Killer Instinct.
>that following summer I went to my cousin's house one day (he lived next door and we constantly traded SNES tapes and went on numerous adventures around our rural community together) and witnessed the glory of Yoshi's Island
> my parents took me to the mall for my birthday that year and bought it for me
>still remains my all-time favorite SNES game

Moving onto another chapter of my personal video gaming history:

>parents divorced when I was 7, mom remarried almost immediately to my stepfather, who had 3 children
>move from my grandparents house where I had spent the first 7 years of my life to new family's house in town
>stepbrothers and sisters play vidya
>they introduced me to Bubsy, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Battle Clash, and Super Mario RPG
>stepfather bought us all an N64 with Smash Bros. and Pokemon Stadium
>tfw we would all play together almost every day
>transfer pack and Pokemon Yellow
>mom and step dad got as swept up in the Pokemon craze as we did
>tfw they both still have Pokemon cards to this day

I've had a pretty wonderful life alongside alot of video games and related media. I'll keep posting stories chronicling my gaming history if you guys are interested
>>
'94 here.

First game was Resident Evil 1 on PC, but my entire childhood was playing RPGs on a SNES emulator.

No wonder why I'm such a autist these days
>>
>>3005040
>but my entire childhood was playing RPGs on a SNES emulator.

So weird for me to imagine a childhood where all RPG games were available, as it was such a quest for me to find RPG games in the wild back in the 90s. They weren't carried by most stores I knew and even were rare finds at rental places and always seemed to be out. And were always the most expensive games to buy, new or used. When my dad was a greedy fuck and sold my copy of FF 3U I never was able to find it again. (until I was an late-teen/adult and emulation)
>>
>>3005035
I wanted to give you the usual "not your blog" post but I actually liked reading this.
>>
>>3003527
my first vidya ever was brand new NES in late 1985
>>
1986 here. The first system I can remember playing was an Atari 2600.

The first game I can remember playing was Demon Attack.
>>
Born in '87. My first videogame memory is "playing" a SF2 cabinet, but I only managed to get good at fighters a few years ago. My first console was a SMS with Alex Kidd bundled in and a Vigilante cart, thinking about that made me realize my uncle, who bought the console, was really into arcades as most of the time he rented titles like R-Type, Super Monaco GP and such.
>>
>>3003527
Maybe that was true at one time but most of this board is under 20 newfags from /v/ who saw AVGN videos.
>>
>>3003527
Born in 88
First console was C64 inherited from my uncle, my very first memories of videogames were Gyruss and the Popeye game.

My grandparents had a close friend who had a small computer store, he also used to sell consoles, a really neat old man.

Every day after school I would stop in his shop and he would let me play vidya as much as I wanted in his demonstration stand, he also gave me games that had faulty packaging for free because he couldn't sell them and it would have been a waste, and he said that I always brought in customers that saw me playing games anyway so that was a fair exchange.

I was very sad when he died, one of the best and chillest old men I've ever known.
>>
>>3005035
Sounds like you lucked out with your stepfamily.
>>
>>3005072
>>3005174
I definitely did get the luck of the draw on a few aspects of my life. And believe me when I say I'm thankful for each day I get to live it. Video games and family have always been an integral part of my world
>>
>>3003564
Nah, although I technically started with Intellivision.
>>
>>3003730
American here. Still have mine in the box.
>>
>>3004580
We called it the Playstation here in New England, my fellow '88 bro.
>>
>>3003730
Britbong here
>>
Oldfag, summer of 1979 here. Got started playing arcade and Intellivision games when I was a toddler. If they couldn't find a stool or chair for me to stand on, my parents held me up to arcade machines in bars and restaurants, later arcades. Now I have no life. Thanks Obama.
>>
Born in 1996
My first system was a Game Boy Color, in 1999. My parents thought I was too little to have a console at the time, (true) so my first console was actually the GameCube which I got at age 6. My prior console playing was my cousin's N64, and Dreamcast demos at EB games and Circuit City.
>>
>>3003527
3rd gen started with my parents buying pacman on that atari and my love for games was solidified, we werent well off so I usually got consoles when the newer versions came out. got an snes when ps1 came out got a ps1 when ps2 came out and so on.
>>
>>3005515
born in 82
>>
Born in '96 and grew up on PS2 and GBA, but I've started turning to more retro games because I think most modern games are boring as hell.
PS2 is still my favorite console, but 90% of the games I like for it now I didn't play until the last couple of years
>>
>>3004516
>this cat picture
hahaha

Mind if save this?
>>
'93

First system was NES, well it was my brothers but we didnt get another system until much later(ps1, and it had been out for while since most of the games we got were platinum releases).
>>
>>3005545
same here family
ps1 too
>>
>>3003730
Irish potato standing by
>>
>>3005129
Honestly it's just natural for gamers of any age to be interested in older games. Games like Super Metroid, LttP, and OoT still top every "best games ever" list that comes out. Maybe games from gens 1-3 have become more obscure now.
>>
I'm 74.

I was born in 1942, a "baby boomer".

And get your facts right, they weren't "Pong clones", Pong was a clone of Table Tennis, which was a lot of fun. I voted for the option anyway, as it seemed the most approximate answer.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (19 KB, 250x300) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
19 KB, 250x300
Born '92.

I played pic related alot when i was younger.

This and TA.

I then had a Brickboy, gameboy color, original GBA and then many years later finally a GC.
>>
First console was a playstation, but I'd played PC games for years before that
>>
So, like when i was a kid i never owned any actual consoles, instead i played those chinese bootleg ports that included NES games, i spent my whole childhood playing mostly SNES and GBA games though so i am not sure which option to pick
>>
Born in 1983 Got a NES in 89. I still love and play/collect NES games
>>
>>3005618
Wow, probably the oldest person I've ever seen on 4chan.

What brought you to this website? As I'm sure you're aware, the demographic skews pretty young here.
>>
>>3003527
I'm 34
I started with NES after being over my neighbor's when him and his brother just got Mike Tyson's Punch Out, they taught me how to play and I was the first of the group to figure out if you hit Glass Joe right while his jaw was still opened you could KO him.

From that day even though I was the youngest, the neighbor kids would always invite me over to play games and help them solve stuff until they moved away 2 years later.

Hands down though my fave game of that era was the legend of zelda. I just loved making my own maps, keeping a tally of burned bushes and bombed walls, and leaving myself warnings for the penalty rooms.
>>
>>3003527
Born in '87. Been playing since I was 2 or 3. First console was an NES.
>>
>>3005654

I made my own maps for Metroid and Zelda as well. Such a gratifying experience.
>>
>>3005618
Much respect.
>>
Born in 92, first console was NES, strictly nintendo baby until ps1 released. Been playing since before I could walk
>>
Born in '84, first system was a Game Boy (though I played my cousins' NES very early on) and shortly after a SNES (brightest Christmas morning ever).
>Open present
>It's Mario Paint
>But I don't have a Super Nintendo
>Slowly turn my gaze to the larger present that I have yet to unwrap with glowing eyes
>>
>>3005565

It's all yours my friend :^)
>>
Born 85` first consoles where Atari 2600 and NES, I guess that is why still to this day NES is my favorite console. I also miss the local arcades.
>>
>>3003527
Born in '89, we got a Snes around '93-'94. I still have it, and it still works like a charm. Amazing how they built those things to last.
>>
>>3005618
No way you're 74, pics or it didn't happen.
>>
>>3003527
90 but youngest of 3 so we had a lot of older consoles NES was first I played, but the SNES was MY SHIT. I lived in a bad city and late 90's were pretty rough around here so I really only had school or that old SNES. and Ive had every gen console since then and as far as portables it was always game gear being my favorite and is actually the only original vidya I own since childhood. the other stuff I sold but then slowly re aquired...
>>
File: SmugT.jpg (11 KB, 441x408) Image search: [Google]
SmugT.jpg
11 KB, 441x408
>>3007017
>samefag here.
first memory....It was me holding the rectangle of a NES controller and my brother saying "I bet you cant even beat glass joe"

>just like the douchey older brother form home alone.

> I beat King Hippo
>>
Born in '94 here. First system was a NES handed down from my dad, second was a new N64. Felt disingenuous to vote 3rd gen so I put 5th gen down.
>>
'95. I have a lot of older siblings so I grew up with an nes (which rarely worked) and a genesis.
I also had a GBA, and my mom randomly bought me a game gear from a yard sale around the same time.
I didn't get a new console until the Wii came out.
>>
>>3003527
born in '90. First console was an NES my mom bought at a yard sale when I was about 3 or 4. Came with most of the big names, and I bought a bunch of other classics through sheer dumb luck while NES games were on clearance and shit. Skipped the SNES and went to the N64. That was a hell of an upgrade.
>>
>>3003527
I'm pushing 40 myself. Been playing video games since at least 84. I grew up on AppleII and C64, hording my quarters for those few times a year I got to blow them at one of the 5 games they had at pizza hut.
>>
>>3007446
That was always great, being able to play arcade games while waiting for your food at Pizza Hut and other places.
>>
83'

Also, I cant fathom that people were born in the 90's 00's it seems like yesterday bra @_@
>>
File: P1020316-pegasus-mt-777-dx.jpg (251 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
P1020316-pegasus-mt-777-dx.jpg
251 KB, 1600x1200
'84 here, my first console was shitty Nes ripoff from china called Pegasus... first game ever Contra. Good times.
>>
File: 61KFHVQCTWL.jpg (69 KB, 389x500) Image search: [Google]
61KFHVQCTWL.jpg
69 KB, 389x500
>>3003527
Born in '91.

I've been playing games for as long as I can remember, but the first console that I actually owned was a solid green gameboy pocket. Warioland II and Disney's Hercules were the first two games I owned.

I still have that gameboy and the Hercules game and they both work just fine. A year after that I got a PS1 and Croc and the rest is pretty much history.

It's too bad videogames are hardly fresh these days. I'm sure this is just a brief period of creative stagnation. There is so much room for possibility in this medium that it's goddamn ridiculous to assume that videogames are dead.

Until then, however, I'll always have my emulators to help me escape to someplace new.
>>
Born in 1997. The only game I had to play as a kid was my brother's Mario All Stars so thankfully I was able to grow up with such games rather than GTA and the like which were popular amongst my classmates.
>>
1994 here. First games were doom 2, heretic and decent 2, but I went to older games after that.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2548x1446) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2548x1446
Born in 1988, got my first gameboy when I was 9. It's what got me interested in synthesized music. I owe a lot to that machine, I don't think I'll ever stop playing them.
>>
Born in 96, I'm the guy in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHfMsTvtaCw

The first console I played was actually an NES because my parents didn't want to buy new video game consoles for us kids (they were and kind of still are very anti-gaming). I only vaguely remember playing this though. Our cousins had an N64, and I remember being really interested in Super Mario 64, DK 64, and Goldeneye when they showed it to my brothers and me. Anyways, the first console that I really remember playing was the Gamecube, though I only used it to play sports games. I liked watching my brother play Wind Waker, but never picked it up myself (probably because of my piss poor attention span). We ended up getting a 360 later, but I still didn't play many games on it except Guitar Hero.

I rediscovered my Gamecube when I was in like 7th or 8th grade and around this time played Super Mario Sunshine for the first time. We had this game before, but it seemed much more fun this time around. I wanted to play more Mario, so I decided to go buy an N64 (together with Super Mario 64 it was only like $35 at the time). It might have been nostalgia from the glimpses I had of it as a kid, but I was hooked. At the time, I thought it was easily the best game ever made. That is, until I got OoT later on and that blew my mind even more. After that I started buying retro consoles so I could play all the Zelda games. Of course I started playing other classics once I had beaten all the Zeldas, but I largely stayed a Nintendo fanboy; I only played Sega through emulators.

I ended up falling out of the hobby due to rising game prices, but got back into it after selling my game collection. I went back and played SM64, OoT, Majora's Mask (my favorite game), and Chrono Trigger (for the first time) before I sold them and they were still incredible games to me. Now I emulate my stuff, mainly playing 4th through 6th gen games. I hope you guys liked my blog post, I didn't expect it to get this long.
>>
>>3008065

>note: I am not actually the guy in the video, that was sarcasm
>>
Making me feel old.
Early '77. Used to blow all my coins on the arcades. My dad got a c64 which I worshipped. High school plan had Atari 2600 which i was generally shit at.
He then got a matter system and we'd play vidya all night.
I got my own megadrive later. Been a SEGA fag ever since
>>
I was born in 90 but my first system was a 2600 that my grandfather had. Still answered SNES since i felt that was what you intended to ask.
>>
'93, although most of games I played as kiddie were emulated NES/SNES games/DOS stuff (Tomb Raider, Incredible Machine etc.)
>>
Born in 87. My first console was a Famicom bootleg in 92. My first original console was a SNES in 94.
>>
Wide spread of ages here, interesting.

Born in 87. First console was SNES. First games were Super Mario World and Mortal Kombat. We also had some rad DOS games like King's Quest IV, Doom and Wolfenstein 3d.

Life was good.
>>
>>3003527
>I've always had the feeling that the userbase here is older on average compared to the other boards

This is easily by far the oldest board on 4chan. Most of us have played 90s systems on the original hardware. The average poster here is probably 25 or older.
>>
Born in '84, my dad installed and did maintenance on Arcade games so I had plenty of experience in the arcades. In fact in the 90s? When they opened a Namco Arcade I was given a "free play" card to just go hog-wild.

Although my first home console was an NES action pack on Christmas of 1989. First games were SMB, SMB 2 and Ghosts and Goblins. I got Zelda a little while after.
>>
File: 0000.png (61 KB, 296x234) Image search: [Google]
0000.png
61 KB, 296x234
1989, first console was a famiclone, then dad bought PSX and N64 in 1997, so I've missed SNES and Genesis completely. Good thing we have emulation.
>>
File: IMG_4503.jpg (634 KB, 987x625) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4503.jpg
634 KB, 987x625
I first played arcades around 83-84. The dentist's office my parents took me to was loaded with arcade cabinets for some reason, Pac-Man, Robotron, Popeye and a couple others. That's about the only time in my life where I genuinely got excited about medical visits.

Around 86 I got an NES, and a little while after one of my aunts gave me her son's old C64, which got me into Basic and programming.

Favorite memories of those days was just getting many friends around a TV, getting amazed at the Nintendo games, spending entire afternoons watching / playing / commenting.
>>
File: RCA Studio II Players.png (337 KB, 489x406) Image search: [Google]
RCA Studio II Players.png
337 KB, 489x406
I was born in 1977 the same year as VCS and Apple II. I usually talk about how video games have always been custom tailored for me, about how Tron fucking blew my mind, about playing different arcade games at the grocery store with my mom and at the bar with my dad, about my departed family members and about the RCA Studio 2 that was my first console but now the way /vr/ has become I just feel like an old man sitting in the nursing home rambling to kids that aren't even listening anymore.
>>
>>3008253
This is such an awesome perspective to hear about. If you feel like talking, I'd love to hear about anything you'd like to share.
>>
File: donkey_kong_country.jpg (1 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
donkey_kong_country.jpg
1 MB, 1440x900
91. First console was SNES in 2001 since 90s came here 10 years later. First PC games were Doom and Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure around the same time, for the similar reason.
>>
>>3008356
well, what's your favorite console? I'll tell you a story about playing it when it was new and about the gaming culture that surrounded it.
>>
>>3008384
Odyssey. kek
>>
>>3003527
Born in 97. I suppose my first real system was the Gamecube, but my family had a NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 so I played on all sorts of systems growing up.

Favorite memory would have to be my family getting stuck on the Sonic 3 barrel for weeks, passing the controller to a 6 year old me, and solving that shit within a few minutes.
>>
Born in '88. My first system was playing on my older brother's ZX Spectrum from the first moment I could play Ladybug. We were pretty poor so we had that for a while then I got a Master System and began wasting my life.
>>
>>3009014
Yeah, see this is what /vr/ has become.
>>
>>3003527
Born in 89. The first videogame I played was Alexx kid in miracle world on a Sega Master Sistem and it blew my 6 year old mind.
>>
>>3003527
Born in 1998 but my family only had a shitty 90s PC with Duke 3d on it until 2006.
>>
>>3003538
Born in '88 too. First system was a SNES with super mario world when i was 3. Been playing since then.
Since I live in a third world country, almost all the people i met had a sega genesis or a Family Game (most popular famicom knockoff) because those games could be pirated and sold at $10-$15 instead of $60-$70 like the snes games.

However, i managed to get like 40 games between christmas, birthdays and Kid's Day (imagine christmas, now take out everything except the presents, that's Kid's day).
>>
File: IMG_20160106_134704.jpg (691 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160106_134704.jpg
691 KB, 2048x1536
Born in 87. My country is third world, so i was 1 gen late than 1st world countries. First console as you can see was an Atari XE, and i played multicarts which had some arcade ports, and 2600-5200 atari games. I remember loading games like Pooyan or Donkey Kong Jr with the cassete addon for the Atari. Then i got a famiclone in the mid 90's and played NES games. Also i used to visit a rich friend who had a PS1 and play a lot of multitap games. Finally got a current gen console in 2002 with a PS2 and played most of gen 4 games in emulators via PC same year.
>>
Born in 1987. 28 now. First system I personally owned was an NES, though I didn't get it until the SNES was out, and got a SNES shortly after that.

Played my grandfather's Atari sometimes, and I loved their PC games, though I still don't know shit about the differences in older PC systems (DOS/Amiga/whatever else).
>>
File: artificial_dreams_01.png (8 KB, 320x256) Image search: [Google]
artificial_dreams_01.png
8 KB, 320x256
>>3008384
Not that guy, but I was also born in 70's. My favrorite is Amiga 500. Yeah it's a computer, but it has a lot of console features.
>>
Born in 94.

The first game I ever played was Altered Beast on the Mega Drive.
My family got a Win95 machine shortly there after. But I didn't get obsseesed with video games until I got my N64 with SM64 in 99.
>>
>>3009750
My dad considered all that Commodore stuff to be a joke, not really computers and way too expensive for video game consoles so I never touched a single one until the early 2000s. It's a shame though he didn't get that games were the gateway to get kids into computers so I wasn't really into computers until my early teens and BBSs. Both C64 and Amiga do have great games that bridged the crash but I was still playing my 2600 pretty heavily all through the crash years, building my collection with yard sale titles. I remember when NES games started turning up at yard sales he was pissed as he realized consoles would start coming out in generations and the games he paid $50 for would "become worthless". It's a shame he didn't live long enough to see the retro boom and be validated that video games have become legitimate vintage collectibles. I told him it would happen though, just like comic books that he always regretted treating like trash when he was a kid.
>>
>>3003564
Oldfag reporting in. Born in 77. My first system was also an Atari 2600.

First games were Bounty Bob, Orc Attack and Kaboom.

Good times.
>>
I'm from 93, we had a NES and later a PS1 but both of em were obsolete at the time I got them. Also I got a cd-rom with MAME, some simple GUI and about 50 or 100 games from my uncle once. Never really asked him about that later but I loved that stuff.
>>
File: results.png (581 KB, 940x632) Image search: [Google]
results.png
581 KB, 940x632
Well no wonder why every thread about games before the NES die so quickly.
>>
>>3011001
Please explain? According to that chart 6+ gen games should get little discussion yet they seem to sneak into nearly every thread.
>>
>>3012479
Because most people didn't suddenly stop playing video games entirely after their very first system. Fewer went back to play the ones they missed, however.
>>
>>3013114
So you're saying people who started with the 3rd/4th generation never learned how to read rules? And it's them, not the actual underage who are the problem?

I just realized. You missed one option that makes the poll results useless.
8. None (I only emulate)
>>
>>3013114
Lots go back to play the ones they miss, however. People who were born in the 5th+ generation are extremely likely to go back, because they would have zero reason not to. People born in the 3rd generation have little reason to go back because before that... games were shit.

I'm tired of this sort of (for want of a better term).... "mathematical" analysis of things people do. People aren't like that, games aren't like that. I'm almost the same now as when I was a kid. Tired of this bullshit about childhood coming up over and over and over.
>>
File: $_32.jpg (37 KB, 265x400) Image search: [Google]
$_32.jpg
37 KB, 265x400
>>3003527
Born in 1984 but started to play vidya in 1991 with snes and its clones.
Huge Sega Mega Drive 2 fan. Never liked Mario and PC games back in 90s (they were utter shit and totally not as fun as colorful platformers and sidescrollers on consoles).

Started to like Nintendo when saw Yoshi island.
Started to like PC when saw Heroes of Might and Magic 3.
>>
>>3014151
>snes
i mean NES of course.
>>
1998 here. Started by playing my bro's PS2. He thought me how to emulate so I've never needed to buy systems and games.
>>
18 Year old here, my dad didn't have the money to buy me a gamecube so he got a bunch of NES ROMs for me to play. I remember having my mind blown at turtle tipping in SMB1 and being blown away by SMB3 because I didn't have any friends with 6th gen consoles.
Eventually my parents bought me a wii and I only used it to play VC games and the super casual wii games.
Sometimes I get the impression I'm the youngest person here but then I remember that a lot of /v/ overlaps here.
>>
Born in 74, played games on the C64 and in arcades but my first home console was a Master System.
>>
I'm 19 and my first console was an NES when I was around 8 or 9 since I was poor and all of the older consoles were super cheap at that time
>>
>>3014176
I hear you. Brit oldfag myself. Grew up on Atari then C-64 before taking the plunge with consoles with a Master System.

It was a bit daunting at first, usually my pocket money could cover the cost of C-64 budget games.

But console games were a lot more expensive by comparison. I was a lot more hesitant to shell out my cash unless I was sure I was buying a bona-fide classic.
>>
>>3014196
Australian here. My old man used to always trade C64 games with his mates, but they were dirt cheap anyway. There weren't that many bad games for Master System, I only regretted getting the port of Shinobi.
>>
>>3014240
I see your Shinobi and I raise you, Cyber Shinobi.
>>
>>3014240
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World was actually fucking great.
>>
Born in '90, been playing my whole life. First gaming memories were on a Genesis, but my family tells me I was playing NES at 3 years old. Not recollection of that though.
Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.