[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Everyone pisses their pants talking about SNES and Genesis. Lets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10
File: IMG_3214.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3214.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Everyone pisses their pants talking about SNES and Genesis. Lets talk about the superior console of that generation, the Neo-Geo AES and its arcade counter part the MVS.
>>
>>3003279
>framemeister

My nigga
>>
>>3003279
They were honestly pretty obscure, at least in the States. I didn't learn about the TG16 until years after its death, and I didn't know about the AES and MVS until I started browsing /vr/ (I knew about the NGPC though).
>>
File: Neo_Geo_Ad.jpg (199 KB, 900x1198) Image search: [Google]
Neo_Geo_Ad.jpg
199 KB, 900x1198
SNK had some of the best ads.
>>
Couldn't find a high resolution full scan of the original ad. In the original Patrick Bateman was playing CyberLip. If you look close you can still see the CyberLip cart.
>>
>>3003285

$700+ price tag in the 90's didn't help either.
>>
File: Neo5.jpg (165 KB, 743x1023) Image search: [Google]
Neo5.jpg
165 KB, 743x1023
Keep in mind these are 90's prices.
>>
>>3003294
>tfw most of the games have retained their value.

I only really want a few more games for my MVS.

>neo turf masters
>neo drift out
>one of the soccer games
>one of the shmups

That's really it. Sucks because I don't really wanna dish out the cash for them right now. I did get shocktroopers second squad and spinmaster pretty cheap on eBay auctions recently, but no luck on any of the games I actually wanted.
>>
>>3003290
>limp, underpowered systems
>>3003292
>hot action, fantasy games

Damn, ads weren't afraid to be sexual back then.
>>
>>3003302
Jesus christ. I was born in '92 so my memories of 4th gen are scarce. What stores actually carried these games? Hard to imagine them lined up next to the much cheaper SNES and Genesis libraries.
>>
>>3003315

This is the original photo in the add with hot CyberLip alien cawk.
>>
>>3003320

I used to see them at Service Merchandise and beg my parents for one. That and a LaserActive. They laughed at me each time.
>>
>>3003290
According to that graph, the "Nintendo" has less than 1 sound channel.
>>
>>3003279
Why discuss a shitty budget arcade?
>>
>>3003279
Last Resorts feels very R-Type-ish, Pulstar was actually MADE by the original R-Type staff.
>>
>>3003453
>>
Heh, I can't argue with it being the superior console of the generation. But god damn it was so expensive, that only by-then-adults with a good job or kids with rich parents could afford one. That price was just obscene. Still is.
>>
>>3003426
because fuck you that's why
>>
>>3003279
wish I was rich enough for one. I remember playing the arcade versions of various SNK games as kid though and they were awesome.
>>
>>3003279

Sorry, did not have one as my parents where not oil tycoons

and as much as I love SNK from what I can see the AES "community" looks like it's best to avoid
>>
>>3003302

>4-dimensional graphics, nearly life-size characters

every time
>>
>>3003320
i grew up in a boring corner of a boring state (michigan) the closest i ever got to a neo geo in its market cycle was the magazine ads. But man, did I ever covet them.

I might be wrong, but I heard one of the major cost factors for NG games was all the high speed solid state rom for each cartridge. Back in the day, that shit was expensive to produce. A typical SNES game was only about 1 meg or less where a NG game was 12-90 megs in size.

Anyway, cool machine for rich kids and real hardcore arcade fans. Sometimes I wish they still made consoles that were proprietary and catered to a niche super high end market.
>>
>>3003292
That model looking like she would rather be modelling for anything else.
>>
File: motherlode.jpg (691 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
motherlode.jpg
691 KB, 2592x1944
Let's talk about sex, Baby.
>>
>>3003302
>90's prices.

Adjusting from roughly '95 to the current year, those games would cost about 310 US dollars each.

This guy keeps making more sense as time goes on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=57&v=7kFRiYFb6GI
>>
File: 1423475038213.png (382 KB, 1468x1548) Image search: [Google]
1423475038213.png
382 KB, 1468x1548
>>3003292
>woman bitch when we touching them
>woman bitch when we don't touch them
WELL LADY, MAKE UP YOUR MIND, DO YOU WANT YOUR MAN TO TOUCH YOU OR NOT? IF YOU DON'T WANT THEM TO TOUCH YOU THEN STOP BEING A COMPLETE POTATO WHEN YOUR MAN RATHER TOUCH A GAME INSTEAD.
>>
>>3003994
>that pic
This is why inclusion is great, libcucks get their precious sensibilities blown right back in their faces.
>>
>>3003279
There are something like 3 of us on /vr/ that have an AES. No one will know what we're talking about.

I'm looking for suggestions on a multi cart for the AES. Either that or more likely an MVS multi cart with an adapter. Anyone have any experience they can share?
>>
>>3003994
Wasn't this from a joke articles and news site?
>>
>>3003994

>confirmation bias

Hey there goober, please go shit up a different thread
>>
>>3003994
>>3004007

>>>/pol/
>>>/r9k/
>>>/trash/

Pick one and stay there
>>
>>3004237
>I'm looking for suggestions on a multi cart for the AES.
There is one, a 151 in 1, it retails for about $700, and hasn't been in stock since the first batch sold out, and no one has managed to contact the maker about more.
>Either that or more likely an MVS multi cart with an adapter.
According to the intarwebs, 101 in one, 108 in one, and 111 in one MVS multicarts work pretty damn good in the AES with an adapter. Check this link for more information:
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/MVS_Multicart
>>
The problem with the Neo Geo is that it is all SNK. While there's definitely some awesome games on it, I'm just not a huge SNK fan.
>>
>>3003957
>>3003302
It forced people to be more picky about what games they actually purchased.

Street Fighter II Turbo was $129 in dollaroos at retail
Street Fighter V is $129 in dollaroos today

Is that guy dancing to Pet Shop Boys?
>>
>>3004381
I've seen that $700 multi cart. Like so many neo geo things a complete joke. Cmon China. If some hobbyists can make your 161s work on an AES why can't you? What kind of half assed pirates have you become?

I've seen that list. It doesn't tell me which carts work with which converters. That's what I'm really concerned about. Blowing $50 on a mutlicart isn't a big deal. Blowing $500 on a converter that doesn't work is. That list says the 138 doesn't work. Is that true or does the menu card just not work?

If I didn't already have an AES I'd just get an MVS the multi carts and a harness and throw the shit in a hobby box. Probably the best/cheapest option anyway.
>>
>>3003279
I would love to own one, but it's hard finding one that's CIB and not insanely expensive.
>>
>>3005092
No it's not. You're just too poor to afford your tism. My box fell apart years ago. For some reason I can still enjoy playing the games. Weird, huh?
>>
>>3004386
>bomberman
>Super Dodgeball
>Puzzle Bobble
>Strikers
>>
>>3004885
> Cmon China
pretty sure the only reason they are made is to sell to arcades in china, so why would they make an AES version?
>>
I'll ask here.

It seems like "such a big deal" to consolize an MVS, but why can't you just like, consolize the Jamma harness?

The pinouts are all the same, so shouldn't it be as simple as putting connectors on the pinouts?

Like the RGB pins just get a component input?

Just seems like a really quick and dirty way to consolize, without actually modding the console.
>>
>>3003302

>2 processors rendering 2D = 4D

Now imagine if these processors also had BLAST PROCESSING!

Gotta love those old marketing blurbs.
>>
>>3005436
Despite being a marketing buzzword "blast processing" actually meant something.

It referred to the Mega Drive's quicker DMA transfer speeds and faster VRAM bandwidth over the SNES.

Still retarded marketing shit though.
>>
I have several catalogs.
>>
>AES
MVS with unibios is the far more reasonable choice.
>>
>>3004237

I personally have a 161-in-1 and 120-in-1. Between those two you pretty much cover all of your bases. 161-in-1 is typically enough but the 120-in-1 has Twinkle Star Sprites. The carts are $45 on Aliexpress so, fuck it, get both. If you have a 1 slot board the 130-in-1 is nice but you have to deal with the daughter board, the daughter board is the reason I avoid it.
>>
>>3005280

You can, it is called a super gun.
>>
>>3005603

I missed you were talking AES. I have read that the Daedalus converter has the best compatibility but it is about $500 and made by a fuck head. Someone is selling a decent MVS to AES converter on NG.com for $150 at the moment, might be worth a look.
>>
File: IMG_20150212_183118.jpg (2 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150212_183118.jpg
2 MB, 1836x3264
>>3005603
>120-in-1
do aero fighters 3, ghost pilots, shock troopers, nam 1975 and Garou work ok on the 120 in 1?
>>
>>3005641

Yeah, I have no problems with any of those. The 120-in-1 doesn't have the issues with Aero Fighters 3 like the 161-in-1 does.
>>
>>3005668
cool, I might pick one up then, shame it doesn't seem to have waku waku 7. Is Garou a beta like on the 161?
>>
>>3005240
Pretty sure they're made to be sold outside China since they sell them online and offer free shipping to the US.

>>3005280
It's not a big deal and what you're describing has been done countless times.

>>3005603
The daughter board is just for the menu. I'd really like to know if someone who's replaced it with a manual game selector has tried it with an adapter in an AES. It has a couple games I'd be willing to buy it for.

>>3005614
I'd consider a magic key if someone who had one and a few multi carts could confirm how well they work with it. Otherwise for the cost of the adapter+shipping I can get an MVS and wire it up to my TV and have enough money left over to buy a cart.
>>
>>3003279
>Last Resort
Cut my life into pieces
Love that game.
>>
>>3003426
>the shitpost of a poorfag
Stick to your Tiger LCD budget portables
>>
Neogeo is overrated

Just The Super Spy, Last Blade and Art of Fighting is playable.
>>
>>3008029

Last Blade 2 is superior to Last Blade in almost every way. Also, Art of Fighting? Get the fuck out of here.
>>
File: 1422333189857.jpg (163 KB, 1006x706) Image search: [Google]
1422333189857.jpg
163 KB, 1006x706
>>3008029
PC-E/TG-16's pretty cool, unique in its own ways. 8-bit 7.18 MHz CPU, two GPUs ( VDC and VDE ). Supposedly it was easier to develop for. Too bad it didn't quite succeed out of Japan, where it eclipsed other consoles for some time. Too bad there were some severe limitations (really low sprite-ground and only -one- background layer). Despite that, addons pumped some extra life and eventually it got Rondo of Blood.

Did anyone else have TG-16? Doing some homebrewing, although with poor luck... I am trash with assembly and figuring out VDC/VDE
>>
>>3006326
>>3005606
Ok thats what I thought.

It seems a shitload easier then actually modding the console, so I'll probably do that.

I have a cab, but I was thinking about making a cmvs for a friend.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.