[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time playing Final Fantasy 7
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg (45 KB, 256x255) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg
45 KB, 256x255
So after years of avoiding the game Im finally giving it a chance

Any tips, hints, or things I should look out for?
>>
>>3002665
I would go in as blind as you can. FFVII is quite easy with the exceptions of the special bosses which are just a gimmick anyways. What fun there is, is in discovering it for yourself.

Just go have fun.
>>
It's overrated shit.
>>
>>3002665
best game ever. as simple as that. Just go in and love it.
>>
>>3002665
Try to get Aeris' final limit break before the end of the first disc, it's a godsend for late-game bosses and it'll be much harder to get after the last first disc dungeon.
>>
Cloud was regular blue shinra soldier at nibleheim

Sephiroth's final form casts supernova which can't even kill you and his mom is planetary calamity alien

Lifestream prevents meteor from destroying planet

You will miss several materia and equipment and have to replay whole game with a guide
>>
>>3002696
>and have to replay whole game with a guide
I wonder if anyone ever 100% the game without the guide.
>>
>>3002704
>I wonder if anyone ever 100% the game without the guide.
Doubtful. The steps to breed a gold chocobo would require tremendous trial and error as I remember them. The chocobo sage only had a few vague hints, didn't he?
>>
>>3002792
Use the best nut, breed a wonderful yellow with a black. You can happen upon this by accident
>>
>>3002704
It's not like it matters though. The game is so easy none of the extra stuff is needed. If anything it's a much better experience if you don't do everything and just play straight.
>>
>>3002792
I swear to god I figured it out without a walkthrough back in the day.
>>
>>3002665
Get all limit breaks to learn beta from midgar serpent.
>>
Turn the battle system to 'active' and increase battle speed by like a third. You'll have a much better time than with the default settings.

Enemy Skill Materia can become the best in the game and you should always keep it with you.

When you storm the shinra building look at a bulletin board in the very back of the main lobby to get Turtles Poster #2, which is a missable item.

Keep casters and projectile users in the back row.

When you meet Yuffie, don't pause the game or check the save point, once you leave the menu she'll be gone and have taken some of your money. Just talk to her.
>>
>>3003834
>Turtles Poster #2, which is a missable item.

Wrooooong. You can get it at the same time as Cait Sith's HP Shout weapon if you missed it the first time. Note that you HAVE to go back to the Shinra HQ to get HP Shout since Cloud won't pick it up even if you know where it is on the first visit.
>>
>>3003841
what did you get from sighting all the costal del sol posters anyway?
>>
>>3003841
I know you can get it the second time you're there, but can you enter that building after that? If you miss it the second time isn't it gone for good?

Also OP if you're still here get the fuck out, there are spoilers here and I guarantee there will be more to come.
>>
In the shinra building before you get Red XIII there are SOLDIER 3rd Class enemies it takes a minute but try to steal a weapon from them called Hardedge it will last you till Cosmo canyon and save you money on updating Cloud's equipment
>>
>>3002665
It's piss easy.

On the boat you'll have to talk and talk again.

In Wutai check the dog and the bell.

If you equip multiple enemy skills materia, if one has a skill the other don't and you receive that attack again, the others won't learn it.

In the crater you'll have only one chance to learn the enemy skill Pandora's Box, the first skeleton dragon you kill will unleash it while dying and never again.

If you want the high affection scene with Tifa at the end you need to do whatever is needed to get her on a date at the Golden Saucer.
>>
Yuffie is best girl

never unequip enemy skill
>>
File: matra_magic.png (378 KB, 1000x773) Image search: [Google]
matra_magic.png
378 KB, 1000x773
>>3005015
Both of these are right.

Enemy Skill is best Materia.
>>
>>3005028

It's hilarious how broken that shit is. You get matra as soon as leaving midgar and it's better than literally any spell till at least past gold saucer and you don't need to waste an ALL slot.

ALL materia was the dumbest fucking shit
>>
>>3002696
>Sephiroth's final form casts supernova which can't even kill you
Oh it killed everyone by boredom.
>>
>>3002696
>and his mom is planetary calamity alien

Actually that's Lucrecia, who Hojo fucked and Vincent was so beta he shut himself in a coffin underneath Shinra mansion for 30 years.
>>
>>3002796

>breed a yellow with a black

Fucking dropped. I don't need to play SJW crap.
>>
>>3005245
The spoiler tag is subbing in for the Masamune.
>>
>>3005259
kek
>>
Don't skip the storyline the characters are worth the reading
>>
>>3005259
SJW crap is white with black.
>>
File: bueno.png (221 KB, 375x250) Image search: [Google]
bueno.png
221 KB, 375x250
>>3002796
>Use the best nut, breed a wonderful yellow with a black.
>>
>>3005046
>ALL materia was the dumbest fucking shit
>not selling a mastered All materia and never having to worry about Gil again
>>
>>3002796
>tfw even chocobos are getting BLACKED
>>
>>3002665
use 'fury' status to get limit breaks quicker and unlock more limit breaks

don't screw up the train or rocket master materia, they will be unobtainable.

infact use a guide, spoiler free if you can, we had playstation magazine guides back in the day.

if you are doing CPR and do not have yuffie you went too far.

Jessie dies.
>>
>>3005612
>>not selling a mastered All materia and never having to worry about Gil again

I never had to worry about gill at all on a normal play through. The game throws enough at you to keep your parties gear upgraded just fine and the only good materia is the shit you get for free anyways
>>
>>3002665
Get the female young ninja whose name I forgot to join your party.

She'll suddenly appear in the middle of a forest at the world map near somewhere I forgot. You must answer her questions by choosing options 2-1-2-1... If I'm not mistaken... okay, now I'm not sure about this sequence of options.
Ah fuck, maybe someday I'll play it again.
>>
>>3006939
"Youfy" I think her name is. A least that's how they say it in the movie.
>>
>>3006953
>A least that's how they say it in the movie.

Dilly dally shilly shally.
>>
>>3005046
Enemy Skill is the best in the game but All helped me out a ton. I almost never had it equipped with offensive Materia once I left midgar though. Having two characters able to heal the whole party was great, and having All Life took the pressure off a lot. And when you pair it with status stuff like Sleep it can make a pretty significant difference.

Nigga how the fuck do you think All materia is not a useful addition to your arsenal? I just don't get it.
>>
>>3007289

well my point is that there's no reason we shouldn't have just been able to spread the effects without it.
>>
>>3006939
any forest on the world map
>>
>>3002682
>Try to get Aeris' final limit break before the end of the first disc, it's a godsend for late-game bosses and it'll be much harder to get after the last first disc dungeon.

Very very very much harder to get.
>>
>>3007665
Do you really think that being able to cast something in all enemies/allies doesn't deserve a slot? The game is designed to attach materias to obtain different effects, that's the point
>>
>>3008507
Some might even say impossible.
>>
>>3002682
>get the HD remake on PS4
>there's actually a trophy for this

Masterful trolling, SE.
>>
>>3005658
Yuffie is never missable.

The Huge materia are all not required at all, you basically just need it for Master materia, and at the point you can get the master materia you've already reached godmode.

I would advise against a guide, but there are some missable but useful materia (like Elemental, or was it Added Effect? in the Gi cave). Some Materia is just really powerful and fun like Added Cut, and that's not missable, but definitely hard to find.
>>
When you get to Red XIII's hometown, loot everything and pay attention on the dungeon. It has OP stuff that can't be found anywhere else, and it is locked forever once you leave.
>>
>>3009693
you will miss scenes with her in starting in the town if you skip though.

similar story with vincent.

I recommended a guide because there are alot more missables than you are letting on, and they appear in odd places. (midgar zolom has nova, if you kill it you missed an enemy skill. stealing things. actually using aeris on disc 1. crossdressing correctly.)
>>
File: spikes.png (158 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
spikes.png
158 KB, 500x750
>>3009720
>you will miss scenes with her in starting in the town if you skip though.

Id advice getting her early on and never letting her leave the party because her reactions and comments are the literal best
>>
>>3002665
Don't do like I did and miss the scale in the chest by the submarine when you break in to steal the sub. You need it to get past some flame obstacle in a optional cave in wutai.

(at least I think that's where it was. Itd been so long.)
>>
>>3009720
Two things, fuckin school yard kid at recess tellin lies. Zolom comes back, and it's called beta.
>>
>>3002665
I'm playing it now for the first time as well. I didn't realize how long it was. I've been playing for a couple of weeks on and off and I'm still on disc 1, I think, I've been playing on PS4. It's really good. I don't bother with materia, which has screwed me over a few times, but overall I'm enjoying it. I might be a little too old now to sink hours into it like I would have when I was a kid. I'm looking forward to finishing it and having time to read a book again.
>>
>>3010075

disc count isn't representative of length.

All that space is mostly used on movies and if memory serves Disc 1 had the most cutscenes.

fuck you want to see a long disc 1 go play fucking xenogears
>>
>>3010149
Are discs 2 and 3 as long as disc 1? I just finished it.
>>
>>3011669

Disc 1 is 60% of the game. Disc 3 contains no new content on it except the final dungeon and ending FMVs.
>>
>>3002665
plunging attacks
>>
>>3010149
>disc count isn't representative of length.
This is especially true for FF7. IIRC, the whole game is contained on each disc. Or was it just the fmvs that were on all the discs?
My point is, a shit ton of space was wasted. FF7 probably could have fit on 2 discs.
>>
>>3002704
I'm not saying I did, but there was a good period of five years where FFVII was the only video game I had so I just constantly replayed it and back then I had no idea guides existed. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a playthrough where I really did get 100%.

>>3002792
The chocobo sage straight up tells you what you need to do.
>>
>>3002665
Just watch the movie. It's far better.
>>
>>3002665

Yeah. Steal, Steal like a mad cunt
>>
>>3002792
>>3002792
>Doubtful. The steps to breed a gold chocobo would require tremendous trial and error as I remember them

You know the Sage tells you how do to everything to breed one and you tell the information to the boy at the stables. He will then be able to tell you every step in one go instead of bit by bit from the sage
>>
>>3003283

You did. I did as well
>>
>>3003846

They were turtle paradise newsletters and you get some sources. Speaking of sources Yuffie and the sunken ship are the best things that could happen to you. Her final weapon "the conformer" cause the morph command to hit at normal attack power and everything in the ship can be morphed into sources
>>
>>3012345
>you get some sources
Damn, that's pretty disappointing.
>>
i went back to replay this game and had to have the help arrows/pointer hand on the entire way through or else i kept missing shit. but it also ruins the game in a weird way.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.