[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
n64 without aa
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7
File: Duke64_PAL_33.jpg (771 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Duke64_PAL_33.jpg
771 KB, 1280x960
So I just got back from my friends house. He set up game genie codes or patching? in his everdrive to remove the anti-aliasing. looks like i need an ed or a game genie. found some threads on it, its worth a google.
>>
Does it run faster?
>>
File: Duke64_PAL_default.jpg (694 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Duke64_PAL_default.jpg
694 KB, 1280x960
and regular. these pics are from one of the threads.
>>
>>3002382
It felt smoother but that could have been the improved clarity. Maybe disabling it freed up resources. a possibility of more frames but not speed?
>>
>Everdrive

No thanks hipster gamer.
>>
>>3002396
>It felt smoother but that could have been the improved clarity. Maybe disabling it freed up resources. a possibility of more frames but not speed?
That's interesting. It should technically run better even though the shitty AA is primative as fuck, it's still intensive
>>
>>3002379
Holy shit, if N64 games looked more like that and not just big blurry messes I might have actually got one of them. Everything on the system looking like it was smeared with vaseline has always been one of my biggest turn offs.
>>
>>3002538
>That's interesting. It should technically run better even though the shitty AA is primative as fuck, it's still intensive

Actually not necessarily.

The N64 did anti-aliasing in two stages 3dfx style edge-AA on the GPU's Blender Unit for internal polygon edges, and post-AA on the GPU's Video Interface for external polygon edges (using some data recycled from the edge-AA step).

Edge-AA is expensive. Post-AA is pretty much free. The former looks fine, the latter is messy and inaccurate.

You can't usually disable the edge-AA with codes without fucking up the game's visuals because it's part of the console's rendering pipeline (since it happens on the Blender Unit), but you can disable the post-AA without consequences since the Video Interface is already dealing with the final set of pixels.

What you're seeing in these comparison screenshots is not the difference between N64 AA on or off, but simply the second stage of AA (post AA) on or off.

SGI, makers of the N64's GPU, had a real hate-boner for jaggies. You can read more here.

http://level42.ca/projects/ultra64/Documentation/man/pro-man/pro15/index15.2.html
>>
>>3002567
Good thing all of that is bypassed with a simple thing called emulation.
>>
>>3002589
64 emulation is garbage though
>>
>>3002589
True. I never really thought about doing that till now though. Also I can't think of any N64 games I actually want to play. Don't like Mario or Zelda. There doesn't seem like a heck of a lot else worthwhile
>>
>>3002592
Doesn't make it unplayable. Just because its not 100% doesn't mean I won't use it since I don't have an N64.
>>
>>3002594
Spoken like a true sony fag.
>>
>>3002604
Lol I am in no way at all a fan of Sony. They're probably my least favorite major game company behind even Microsoft. There's a lot I like about Nintendo, 3DS is my favorite system right now. But I've never been crazy about their first party games. Good quality, just not for me. And N64 never seemed to get really good third party support.

The only company I was ever kind of a fan of was Sega, but they've broken my heart too many times.
>>
>>3002604
>People who don't like Mario or Zelda must be Sonyponies

ok

>>3002620
>Lol I am in no way at all a fan of Sony. They're probably my least favorite major game company behind even Microsoft.
I can understand that, though I still have some respect for pre-7th gen Sony.
>>
>>3002379
What is going on there? Why do I see non-integer stretching on real hardware?
>>
>>3002686
>everdrive
>>
File: N64_-_Sin_&_Punishment.jpg (84 KB, 250x348) Image search: [Google]
N64_-_Sin_&_Punishment.jpg
84 KB, 250x348
>>3002594

Sin and Punishment is pretty balling.
One of my favorites from the whole 5th gen.
>>
File: bangaiol.gif (2 MB, 380x227) Image search: [Google]
bangaiol.gif
2 MB, 380x227
>>3002705
Interesting. I do fit the stereotype of the guy who likes most Treasure stuff and their good games are among my all time favorites. I didn't care much for Mischief Makers, but never gave that a try. And I could finally gN64 Bangai-O a go.

>>3002592
How bad is it? As a reference, I consider SNES emulation on PSP near unplayable. Is it better than that?
>>
>>3002726
Can't really use that as a reference because I never played the SNES emu on psp (loved the master system one though).

In my experience there is a lot of rendering and texture issues, shit not showing up right or having a weird grid between sprites. Depends on the game though, Mario 64 they pretty much have down pat.
>>
>>3002731
Yeah I love the PSP for most stuff, but SNES and GBA has serious slowdown. I mostly use it for SMS and Gen.

Anyways, I don't care too much about graphical glitches. Smooth and not laggy is the most important, but I guess the only way is to try for myself and see.
>>
>>3002379
Please, if you can, detail the steps taken to do this. Or ask your friend. I am categorizing options to turn this kind of thing off in videogames for my html website and being able to turn it off for every single Nintendo 64 game would be fantastic.
>>
>>3002726
that looks gay as fuck
>>
>>3002379
I believe that code is actually disabling the VI-filters and not AA. I notice on my actual system that Duke's edges look different from, for example, Zelda's AA @ 240p. I believe I've read other places that the VI filter was programmable, whereas antialiasing was some sort of z-sorted "Wu-AA" line algorithm and cost more in fillrate.
>>
>>3003801

>itano circus
>gay

no, anon, you are the homosex
>>
>>3003873
okay sorry it looks autistic not gay
>>
>>3003915

It's okay anon, you're probably too young to have watched Robotech
>>
>>3003920
Robotech was shit anyway so he's not missing out on much.
>>
>>3003931

When was the last time you felt love, anon?
Do you remember it?
>>
>>3003931
No giant robots and mecha are cool. That game looks like complete shit though. Got a bunch of flashy shit going on to impress autists I guess
>>
>>3003934
When I watched Macross :^)
>>
>>3003935

Try playing it, you might be surprised.
>>
>>3002726
That game looks awesome, gonna look this up NOW
>>
ITT: Nobody notices that the blur in the second pic encompasses the TV bezel too.
>>
>>3002379
>pic 1: RGB, pic 2: composite
>>
>>3002726
>How bad is it?

Per-game plugin hell bad. And if your game is less popular or uses the N64 hardware in a more advanced way, or pray tell it is a 2d game? You are fucked.
>>
>>3004447
How dare these incredibly complex free things people make in their spare time not be perfect!
>>
>>3002379
How does it look on an LCD? One of there reasons the N64 looks so shit on an LCD is the AA. If it just looked blocky like other consoles maybe the LCD babies could handle it. It might eliminate many of those "where can I get a framemeister for dollar" threads.
>>
>>3004425
It's slightly out of focus but not enough to account for all the difference in sharpness.
>>
>>3004425
People did. They just realized it was a slightly out of focus picture not some huge conspiracy theory shit.
>>
>>3003484
>r my html website
link?
>>
File: anti-aliasing.jpg (110 KB, 1037x330) Image search: [Google]
anti-aliasing.jpg
110 KB, 1037x330
Enabling anti-aliasing (not just the VI filter) was a 50% performance penalty on N64.

Think about that for a second.
>>
>>3002584
Those docs are neat thank you anon
>>
>>3002410
B-b-but the wife loves it...
>>
>>3004447
Yipes, yeah then it's not worth it at all at this point.

>>3003969
Dreamcast Bangai-O. One of the most purely fun games you'll ever play. Somewhere between a shmup and a run n gun. Great action and some really fun level design.
>>
File: bangaio.gif (2 MB, 450x235) Image search: [Google]
bangaio.gif
2 MB, 450x235
>>3006016

That is from the N64 version, note the combo meter
>>
>>3002726

Hasn't been horrible ever since back in 2005 when PJ64 1.6 was released. That one and the glide64 plugin will get you a long long way! DOn't expect cycle- accuracy but playable state.
>>
>>3006030
>>3006016
That looks boring, that doesnt look nearly half as fun as contra, or metal slug or r-type and gradius. Looks like youre pressing one button and everything blows up. real fuckin exciting. Then again you treasure weebs have the shittiest shit taste to ever exist and would call stretch panic an awesome game just cause you have treasures cock way too far up your ass.
>>
>>3004464
What I don't get is how it can't be perfect if they're simply duplicating the functionality of the chips. Is it that they cut a lot of corners for emulation, for efficiency?
>>
>>3002410
You can use a game genie and carts.
Go play with Conan
>>
Since nobody has posted this yet, here is the original thread where this was discussed that I know of.

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/is-it-possible-to-disable-anti-aliasing-in-n64-games-via-gameshark-cheats.59916

I'm interested to see more non-pal games show up because I have a gameshark pro already and live in the USA.
>>
>>3007178
Yeah, I'm definitely interested in seeing more about this. Although I haven't used it in 15 years, I still have my original N64 gameshark, and I would totally test this out. Until now I thought that the only way to bypass the bilinear filtering was to install one of those special HDMI mods.

The best my N64 outputs is S-video, but I'd still really like to see what games (especially 2D ones like yoshi's story and mischief makers) look like on my TV
>>
>>3006201
>glide
>2016
Why
>>
>>3007184
It's not bilinear filtering
>>
No way am I gonna let this thread die
>>
>>3006419

OK, but try playing it instead of assuming things from watching videos
>>
>>3008970
so far all the videos you guys show off as awesome gameplay is apparently just watching a bunch of colors flash on screen, sorry not tempted at all
>>
>>3009480

>watching a bunch of colors flash on screen

This sounds like a vague, average description for any video game ever.
>>
>>3006419
Yeah I got the same feeling about Ikaruga. Too stressy and not as fun as something like Gradius.
>>
>>3009486
yeah except those color flashes usually amount to more than pressing one button and just standing there and watching stuff blow up
>>
>>3006821
You are using a processor to simulate one or more processors with a very different architecture. This requires a lot of resources. Remember, cycle accurate emulation of the SNES requires a 3GHz CPU.
>>
>>3009683

Yeah but you haven't played the game so you don't know how it plays.

I mean, it's okay if you have a treasure hateboner, but assuming stuff about games just from watching videos is not very smart.
>>
>>3009935
>3GHz CPU
Do they still make em that slow?
>>
>>3010123
>Do they still make em that slow?
Not sure, but the point of my post was that it takes a 3GHz CPU to have cycle accurate emulation of a system with a 3.58 MHz CPU.
>>
>>3010136
The difficulty isn't so much the CPU as the synchronization of the CPU+PPU+SPU.
>>
>>3005062
>image quality
>drawing speed
PICK NONE: The console
>>
Can I use the patches with this?
>>
>>3010123
You're a lot of fun, but yes they do make em slow even for high-tiers, because you have to consider each individual core having its own clock. So, a 300$ processor doesn't even come close to 3GHz per core unless it's extremely dated.
>>
>>3011647
Yes. The only way to patch games is a fc. I tried one of the ntsc codes from the link above and it worked using a gs pro and oem cart.

Has anyone tried the universal patcher from the end of the discussion on that forum? Don't let this die, this is a real breakthrough for the 64. I want all my games this crisp. There's no going back after seeing it.
http://n64.poregon.com/shared/
Are these ntsc patches or patcher?
>>
>>3002379
somebody notify Phonedork about this
>>
>>3002594
F-Zero X and Star Fox 64
>>
>>3002410
>supporting resellers
the only hipster around here is you kiddo
>>
>>3012547
>The only way to patch games is a fc
Not true. But all the other methods were made before you so I understand why you would say that.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.