[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Considering this board goes up to 5th gen (and Dreamcast), do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10
File: dreamcast.png (212 KB, 650x419) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast.png
212 KB, 650x419
Considering this board goes up to 5th gen (and Dreamcast), do you guys consider that the last great gen? Just curious.
>>
It's the only great gen
>>
>>3002178
5th gen was an abysmal and awkward "middle stage" for video games.

Most of the generation's killer apps have aged like fine milk.

It made crucial, essential, and genre defining steps for 3D gaming, but it's not pretty to look back on the way 3rd Gen and 4th Gen are.
>>
>>3002181
>aged
Back to /v/, champ
>>
>>3002182
You know exactly what I mean. Should I reword it in a way that doesn't trigger you as much?
>>
It still had a lot of gems and gaming then still was about just popping in the game, sitting and playing. By the next gen after that we were then firmly in the era of online subscription play, DLC, and the death of great companies we all knew, only to be replaced by the rise of shovelware consortiums.
>>
>>3002181

This.

I don't know, 6th gen improved on practically everything. It is the dawn of modern gaming.

BUT yeah, the high-definition age fucked up everything. They seem to be getting on track now, what with all the increased production time, DLCs, shameful developers, hacks and half-assed sequels/reboots...

Jesus christ, you are making me remember why I quit gaming for a while
>>
>>3002184
>was about just popping in the game, sitting and playing
This is one of my biggest gripes with games today. Having to install shit my first time playing, and several other times after grows incredibly irritating.
>>
>>3002184
>>3002187
>>3002189
Everything wrong with gaming is a 6th gen thing. DLC, online paywalls, games needing updates, etc. That's all 6th gen.
>>
>>3002181
3rd gen looks and sound ugly as hell now.
>>
>>3002181
>but it's not pretty to look back on the way 3rd Gen and 4th Gen are.

I'm not even going to guess your thought process, just wanted to say you got a nice subjective opinion going on there. Every console has its fair share of clunky/improvable titles and blaming 5th gen for being early into the 3D game is just stupid. And most of what came in later isn't even desirable in comparison.
>>
>>3002194
It really got rolling in 7th gen, though. I still had lots of good ol-fashioned offline gaming fun with my PS2.
>>
>>3002201
>blaming 5th gen for being early into the 3D game is just stupid
Why is that stupid? It was early in the 3D game and it shows. I fail to see what your problem is.
>>
>>3002194
That's all Xbox though, and it's not a bad console in itself, although it was the first nail in the coffin.
>>
>>>>3002178
Yes, because arcades died with the Dreamcast. RIP SEGA
>>
>>3002206
>That's all Xbox though
How many Xbox games even forced that shit? Halo 2 is the only game that was ever hyped for online MP that gen that I can recall.
>>
>>3002202
>>3002206
Halo 2 was one of the biggest games of the gen all about online.

Dreamcast invented DLC that was already on disc.

PS2 had that FF mmo.
>>
File: or2cab.jpg (176 KB, 536x800) Image search: [Google]
or2cab.jpg
176 KB, 536x800
>>3002207
>>
>>3002214
That's not really fair then. Sure, Gen 6 had some relatively isolated incidents. It wasn't until 7th Gen that these became standard anti-consumer industry practices.
>>
>>3002214
Have a pic
>>
>>3002221
Let's settle the Gen 6 debate.

Best out of 3:

PS1 vs. PS2
N64 vs. GCN
SAT vs. XBOX
>>
>>3002225
What exactly are we comparing them on? Library? Gameplay innovations? Controller quality? Personal favorite?
>>
>>3002225
PS2, it was truly the proper evolution of the Playstation
Gamecube by a million, N64 = most overrated system ever
Saturn (not that X-Box was total shit, it just hadn't reached its full industry-changing (for the worse) potential yet)
>>
>>3002178
Dreamcast, if you say other wise you have shit taste.
>>
>>3002229
Just which you liked better.
>>
>>3002235
ah okay

PS1
GC
XBox
>>
File: dreamcastorgy.jpg (138 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
dreamcastorgy.jpg
138 KB, 800x600
post your dreamcast!
>>
File: 18j0wgghkmbh7jpg.jpg (64 KB, 1024x661) Image search: [Google]
18j0wgghkmbh7jpg.jpg
64 KB, 1024x661
>>3002239
>me on the left
>>
>>3002189
You only have to if you want to play online.
>>
>>3002224
>e-reader
>GameCube
>>
>>3002221
>relatively isolated incidents
Xbox Live?

Fuck 6th gen as a whole. Terrible generation. Not the worse but it was the generation I gave up on consoles completely. I came back this gen with a Wii U but not much else.

5th gen has amazing games. Games that still haven't been topped. I love the graphics personally. They added so much to RE and Silent Hill. I never would had thought video games could be scary till then.

Last gen for non Nintendo platformers worth a damn among other things.
>>3002230
>PS2, it was truly the proper evolution of the Playstation
Ok kid.
>>
File: 1448307151574.gif (2 MB, 260x195) Image search: [Google]
1448307151574.gif
2 MB, 260x195
>>3002450
>I came back this gen with a Wii U
Why?
>>
>>3002478
I don't know. WWHD I guess and the hope Zelda U would be a thing.
>>
>>3002178
It's the last gen where I feel like I have good memories of the entirety of it.

6th gen started out pretty great and I feel like it got worse near the end. That was when long-time giants like Nintendo, Square, and Sega started to put out more mediocre games than good ones. The mediocrity continued into the 7th and 8th gens.

I don't want to turn this into a modern vs retro debate, there are still great games being made and I have a long list of modern favorites, but I haven't gotten that "these consoles are AWESOME and gaming is AWESOME" feeling since the start of 6th gen.
>>
>>3002495
MK8, Mario Maker, Mario 3D World, Splatoon, Toad's Treasure Tracker. There are plenty of games worth buying on the Wii U, arguably more than the PS4 and 'Bone.
>>
>>3002508
Which I own most of. He asked why I bought it not a list of good games.
I got like 10 or 12 games. Still need Toad's what ever and that Kirby game maybe if I can get past it being a glorified tablet port. Rodea and Smash were disappointments though.

I have no interest in online paywalls and there's nothing of interest on the other two not that Silent Hills is dead.
>>
>>3002195
SMB3 says hi.
>>
>>3002224
Fuck, I hated how much Nintendo tried to push the e-reader and GBA-Gamecube connectivity at that time. That was one of the first signs that things were going south.
>>
>>3002214

>Dreamcast invented DLC that was already on disc.

Literally never happened.
>>
Gens don't exist. It's just a convenient classification for wikipedia nerds.
>>
>>3002530
Only in a few occurrences. Samba de Amigo for instance had extra songs (classic Sega tunes) already on disc, and you were to download a small file (a key) onto your VMU to access them. For free. Another one was the extra menu themes for Sonic Adventure 2, again, free.

The idea was to encourage people to connect their console to the web with a few incentives like that. Now that the servers are offline, you can still get the keys on El Bucanero's VMU Backup CD anyway.

What's funny is that /vr/ never speaks of @barai and probably don't even know what that is.
>>
>>3002560

No, it literally never happened.

The "on disc DLC" argument in regards to modern gaming describes content that is on the disc but is still required to be purchased. The complaint is that you shouldn't have to pay to purchase something that is already included on the disc you have already purchased.

Criticizing included free content packs is like claiming that Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence had "on disc DLC".
>>
File: 070136.jpg (67 KB, 530x480) Image search: [Google]
070136.jpg
67 KB, 530x480
>>3002239

Ok
>>
>>3002450
>Xbox Live?
Literally one game on one console. Sounds pretty isolated, anon.
>>
>>3002569
The thing is, if it's a multiplayer game, the DLC has to be included "on disk" if it's multiplayer or cosmetic things like costumes, maps, characters, and so on.

For example; every time Dungeon Defenders was given DLC, it had to be put "on disk" so that you wouldn't run into problems where you couldn't join a game because someone was playing a jester, or playing a jester and not being able to join a game because one person doesn't have it.

Putting it on-disk and not letting people freeload off a host however is unforgivable.
>>
>>3002587

I remember the car packs for Forza 2 on the 360, basically they'd release a new pack of cars for sale but one of them would be released for free. The free car was actually all of the cars in the pack, you just didn't get access to them unless you paid. The cars were on your hard drive however, so you wouldn't run into any problems if you raced against someone who had bought the DLC.
>>
>>3002569
>literally
>modern game bullshit

Stop kid. It's trash. Get back to your containment board.
>>
Early 3D was shit just like early 2D was shit, it takes time for developers to hit upon formulas that actually work, let alone refine them. 3rd & 4th gen were the height of 2D, while 6th & 7th refined 3D games. After that there was pretty much nothing to develop further so we entered a period of rehashes and stagnation.
>>
>>3002698
no anon, 8th gen is refining the 4th dimension of games: spectacle and cinematics

I'm only half shitposting
>>
>>3002734
Refining my ass.

I have philosophical disagreements with a lot of this board. Cutscenes are fine, games are art, I like games that are "experiences" even if it's to the detriment of (the traditional notion of) "gameplay". But if I wanted to watch a movie, with a movie-like story and a movie-like presentation, then I'd just go watch a fucking movie. Games need to do their own thin if they want to advance as an art form. Games like TLOU are pure cancer.
>>
>>3002743
Hey, I never said refinement had to be a positive, but they ARE pushing that aspect a lot more, and trying to integrate it in increasingly seamless ways.
>>
>>3002743
Pretty much my thoughts as well. They aren't even doing spectacle that well, spectacle doesn't mean anything if you don't give a shit about the characters or the story. Vidya tech is at a dead end until we get hologram rooms imo, which might even resurrect arcades.
>>
I feel 6th Gen is the best as it strikes a nice balance between good grahics (many GC, Xbox, and DC games and some PS2 games are still pleasant to look at) and good gameplay (lots of innovative and experimental games, refinement of 5th Gen game mechanics) before everything went towards cinematic shit in the HD era.
>>
>>3002187
>I don't know, 6th gen improved on practically everything
Later generation in "improving on earlier generation shocker"
>>
>>3002239
>that Windows CE logo
God, I'd forgotten all about that! Cringeworthy.
>>
File: Motherfucking_2004 (final).jpg (4 MB, 1314x3596) Image search: [Google]
Motherfucking_2004 (final).jpg
4 MB, 1314x3596
>>3002178
>>
File: 1370284508399.gif (799 KB, 200x189) Image search: [Google]
1370284508399.gif
799 KB, 200x189
>>3003576
>mfw trying to decide what 2004 GOTY was
>>
>>3002543
Genus doesn't exist. It's just a convenient classification for biology nuts.
>>
File: 1448754268332.jpg (60 KB, 630x443) Image search: [Google]
1448754268332.jpg
60 KB, 630x443
>>3003576
>no Breakdown
>no Rallisport Challenge 2
>>
>>3002691

This is my containment board.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.