[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone ever play Eric Harris' old Doom maps? I've heard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 45798576834646345747.jpg (377 KB, 1506x1435) Image search: [Google]
45798576834646345747.jpg
377 KB, 1506x1435
Anyone ever play Eric Harris' old Doom maps? I've heard they aren't very good, but I've never actually played them.
>>
>>3001976
I remember seeing the same thread but without the extra lines of text at the bottom, did you take these yourself?
>>
>>3002001
I just took a screenshot of the page where the levels are. Reverse image search my pic and you'll be taken to the site.
>>
>>3002003
Thanks, if this thread is still up tomorrow, I'll tell you how they were, I can get an MP game set up with my buddies. We'll also be individually checking out his levels.
>>
>>3001976
I've played UAC labs, Its okay.
>>
>>3002020
Any updates for us? I watched some videos and people seem to like "UAC Labs"
>>
>>3003230
Sorry, classes were fucking me up and forgot to play these, I already tried out UAC Labs and it was alright, I'll check out the SP WADs right now
>>
So the only maps that are meant for SP are KILLER.WAD and UACLABS.WAD
The rest are meant for DeathMatch gameplay
>>
>>3001976
Yeah I've played them. They are shit. I think one was moderately playable, probably UAC Labs like >>3002290 said. Apart from the "novelty" of playing maps made by a school shooter they have no redeeming qualities and you'll be sorry you wasted the time.

There is probably some romantic appeal to trying these, like you're seeing into the mind of a killer, but really they're just mediocre levels made by a kid in the 90s just like so many other levels from the same period. As has been shown many times since Columbine, there is no link between video games and what these mentally ill murderers do in real life.
>>
>>3004360
BRICKS.WAD is a very simple DM map, I like the small amount of attention put into the acid room.
Nevermind what I said about KILLER.WAD being an SP map, it's a DM map as well, but a very bland one.
I don't want to play the rest of the maps anymore, I feel like I've already experienced everything.
Also, what >>3004365 said
>>
>>3001976
They're pretty good for the time they were made, given the tools and general knowledge of that time. Most people were just hacking away with a copy of DEU or other DOS editor, with very little interaction or useful feedback from "community". Then again, that's a good thing and why there was so much variety and crazy styles in the 90's (feedback can be useful but is also has a tendency to fall into a "best practices" rut and enforce certain aesthetics and gameplay).
Anyway, the UAC Labs one still stands up pretty good today IMO.
>>
>>3001976

I played through Super Columbine Massacre RPG once. It was kind of dumb I thought. It is not retro, though.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.