[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he a tragic hero?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: kenji eno.jpg (176 KB, 1024x689) Image search: [Google]
kenji eno.jpg
176 KB, 1024x689
Was he a tragic hero?
>>
daikitana was pretty bad but i wouldn't call it tragic
>>
>>3001605
I'd say Romero's hair is even crazier.
>>
He got no respect from his peers, that's for sure. I remember Yoshiki Okamoto and Shigeru Miyamoto both dissed him at different points.
>>
>>3001596
Didn't he go to a Sony conference to hype up a Saturn game?
>>
>>3001610
What was that all about?
>>
>>3001821
Okamoto and a bunch of other Japanese game designers were having a public discussion over how they work as game designers and one of them remarked that most of them don't actually enjoy playing games that much. When Eno said he does, Okamoto told him "that's why your games don't sell well."
>>
>>3001836
>When Eno said he does, Okamoto told him "that's why your games don't sell well."

This attitude still prevails somewhat nowadays. At every studio I've worked at there's always a few guys who want to set themselves apart as "professional" by openly stating they don't play or keep up with games outside of work.

It's not always the case, but if any game design ideas come from these guys, they usually run the gamut from uninspired to unworkable, with the vast majority falling into the category of "Simpsons did it".
>>
>>3001924
The point is that Okamoto was indirectly telling Eno that his games suck.
>>
>>3001941
thats one way of seeing it, another is in miyamoto having this sense of superiority and lack of enjoyment is what allows him to make commercially succesful skinner boxes, but im sure the lot of you will hurr durr muh zeldario
>>
>>3001978
Miyamoto's diss of Eno was actually another incident. Basically the interviewer commented to Miyamoto that the Japanese have a stereotype of video game programmers being fat keyboard jockeys who never leave their computers and Miyamoto said that the only person who fit that stereotype was Eno.
>>
File: 1440802348547.gif (2 MB, 374x354) Image search: [Google]
1440802348547.gif
2 MB, 374x354
>>3002040

holy shit source.

Man I love Eno, they probably all hate him because he just did things in whatever way possible.
>>
>>3002062
Found it. My bad It was really Okamoto who said too.
http://web.archive.org/web/20010602092826/http://www.video-senki.com/feat/oka.html
>Q: Developers have the image of a bunch of people that sit in front of computers all the time...
>O: Kenji Eno's the only one like that! (laughs)
Looks like Okamoto had a thing against Eno

Eno was pretty outspoken though. I remember he publicly cucked Sony at the Tokyo Game Show when he showed a trailer at Sony's booth and announced that he switched platforms from PS to SS for Enemy Zero.
>>
>>3002541
Eithe okamoto is a fucking prick or they are actually friends and that chiding just seems harsh out of context.
>>
>>3001610
>>3001836
>>3001924
Bumhurt displays of jealousy.

>>3001978
wha the heck is a skinner box and why are you mad?
>>
>>3003054
>skinner box
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber

As for what the poster meant by that, I think he's saying that his games have too much leading along to reward of some sort. Though I really don't know, as all games to some extent are probably Skinner boxes.
>>
>>3002541
That really sounds like a light friendly jab to be honest.
>>
>>3001610
>He got no respect from his peers, that's for sure

Because his games weren't that good and not as unique as his fanboys claim to be. Enemy Zero was pretty cool though.
>>
>>3001596
He was a hipster. If he hadn't put his games on obscure Panasonic systems and hadn't preferred Sega to Sony, more people would respect/acknowledge him.
>>
>>3001610
source?
>>
>>3001605
If you think this is Romero i feel bad for you son, i've got 99 problems but not recognizing an epicanthic fold ain't 1.
>>
>>3004125
See.>>3002541
>>
>>3001596
HE DER BIG FAGNESSSS
>>
>>3004171
His joke was half-decent, though. Yours isn't.
>>
>>3003914
D was on PlayStation.
>>
>>3006536
He announced Enemy Zero as Saturn exclusive ON A SONY EVENT.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.