[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /vr/ think of super mario all stars?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
>>
mario 1 physics is borked
sound is kind of bad
>>
>>3000613
>mario 1 physics is borked
You mean it isn't faithful to the NES version? Or that both games have the same irritating physics?
>>
>>3000630
it isint faithful to the nes version, when breaking a block the jump follows through after the brick is broken
>>
>>3000637
I hadn't noticed that. I was under the impression that they'd replicated it exactly. Surely they could essentially use the same code with all the same constants and, providing the game updates at the same rate, it would be identical, right?

Or was it deliberate?

And what about the other games' physics in All Stars? Are they different too?
>>
>>3000612
It was pretty funny when Nintendo re-released the 3 mb ROM on a Wii disc and sold it for 60 dollars.
>>
>>3000640
>And what about the other games' physics in All Stars? Are they different too?
not that I've noticed/read about, but I guess there could still be some unperceivable difference.
>>
>>3000641
And it wasn't even the version that included Super Mario World with the different Luigi sprites. That didn't even get a stand-alone release back in the day (it was sold only as a pack-in with the console). What a waste of an opportunity.
>>
>>3000612
physics are different but hardly broken. only different in a way that matters to people who want to speed run the game, and even then it plays fine and is very enjoyable, just slightly different.

also, the A-D worlds in lost levels can be reached much more reasonably.

very good game IMO
>>
I grew up with All Stars, I didn't have an NES until I was an adult. I really appreciate all respective versions of all the games (NES versions as well as the SNES re done versions) a lot.

It's hard praising the graphics of All Stars without looking like I vastly prefer it, and subsequently think the NES ones look like shit. Couldn't be farther from the truth, I could sit down with any of them any day, but the SNES graphics are pretty special to me in general.
>>
>>3000734
they did a pretty great job re-skinning the games and reworking the soundtrack but part of me wishes they had just ported exact versions of the earlier games to the snes for all stars
>>
>>3000734
>>3000742
It kinda triggers me that everyone else looked like how they did from Super Mario 2/3 and onward in the Super Mario 1/Lost Levels remake, but Mario and Luigi still has the overalls and shirt colors switched.
>>
>>3000612

it's fine

was a nice way to play Lost Levels easily when you had never even heard of that version of the game, back in the day... though the save system does remove a lot of the difficulty, for better or for worse

personally I don't like remade audiovisual content in general, because if I want to play an old game then I want to actually play the old game, and not some watered-down clone of it

but that's not an inherent problem in the game
>>
>>3000792
You would rather the exact same games twice than two versions of them?
>>
>>3001062
They're meant to be ports.
>>
>>3000742
>>3000792

I went for a long time feeling like they were already really good, solid translations from NES to SNES, but only later did I learn about the difference. Maybe my enjoyment for the game suspends my critical urge on it but I've been pretty okay with most of the changes.

I do know what you mean about the Mario 1 sprites though.
>>
>>3001063
Jesus, what an almost unbelievably retarded response. I wish I had never asked now.
>>
>>3000612
Great package. The remakes of SMB2 and 3 are nice, the saving feature is a good bonus and it was cool experiencing Lost Levels.
It's a shame 1's physics are fucked since All Starts + World could have been the definitive Mario package.
>>
Obligatory Response pointing everyone towards this hack that fixes the brick behavior in SMB1

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/167/
>>
I love Super Mario World but I've never played All Stars. Wish I had it back in the day.
>>
>>3001046

for better in my opinion

super mario bros was a massive pain in the ass because of that

I mean I understand that makes it more difficult but it became difficult to the point where the fun of the game was overshadowed by the difficulty

turned into a chore every time you died and had to restart from the beginning
>>
>>3001126
It's amazing how many scrubs don't even know the continue code for Super Mario Bros.
>>
>>3000612
At the time, Smb+Smb2+Smb3+SUPER SECRET SMB2 was a steal, and the madmen actually added World in a separate edition. I personally like tha graphical upgrades and the new music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgRP-F-TOOo

Everyone else can and will fill you in on the bads.
>>
>>3001103
I installed this and didn't notice a difference. Then again I grew up with all stars.
>>
I can remember when this game was first announced at E3.

Nintendo had admitted that the Super CD add-on for the SNES was dead (probably finally coming to their senses that bolting a 32-BIT machine on to 16-BIT machine was dumb as fuck.)

Instead, the unveiled Mario All Stars.Everyone thought that Nintendo had lost their fucking minds, it seemed like a total backwards step at the time.
>>
>>3001525
>E3
>Existing before 1995
If you're going to act like a pretentious dumbass on an anonymous imageboard, you could at least try to get your facts straight.
>>
>>3001545
I meant the CES show, old fags like me are prone to senior moments.
>>
>>3001143
I beat 1 as a kid never knowing it.

I did have a shit ton of tries to do it thanks to the turtle-on-the-steps trick
>>
>>3001604
The SuperDisc add-on was canceled long before Super Mario All-Stars was even announced. They cucked Sony in 1992 and announced they were doing an add-on with Phillips instead, which is how we ended up with those CDi Zelda and Mario games.
>>
>>3001641
Yeah, but then they cancelled the Phillips CD-Rom add-on too. Nintendo dropped the entire idea.
>>
>>3001545

I'm too lazy to Google but I'm positive e3 was around in 94.
>>
>>3000612
Need a level hack to convert SMB1/2 into Vs. SMB & SMB Special.
>>
>>3001697
Either way, this anon (>>3001525 >>3001604) was full of shit at trying to act like an oldfag.

>>3001712
Nope. '95 was the first E3 show, which where Sega and Sony announced their plans for the US launches of their 32-bit consoles (SS and PS).
>>
>>3001715
Someone already made a hack of Vs. Super Mario Bros. that's modified for console play.
>>
I liked the graphical upgrades to Super Mario 2 (USA) and Super Mario 3.

But for some reason, the upgrade to the original Super Mario Bros always looked terrible to me.
>>
>>3001727
Not to rain on your parade, but I was talking about converting ALL-STARS SMB1/2j into Vs & Special. This IS an All-Stars thread, is it not? Well aware there's a Vs. home edition hack for NES and a hack to convert NES SMB1 into SMB Special.
>>
>>3001728
feel the same way
>>
>>3001641
>They cucked Sony in 1992
Actually Sony tried to cuck them, by jewing them out of all royalties for their cdrom addon because Nintendo was run by a dinosaur that did not get why someone would want or need 1300x more space than what it took to make SMW, nor understand how cheap it was to make optical media.
>>
Easily one of the best games on SNES
>>
>>3001746
It's not so much that Yamauchi didn't understand the convenience of optical media, but rather they wanted forced third-party to pay extensive loyalties for their proprietary software media. It's the same reason they insisted on using mini-DVDs for the GameCube instead of actual DVD-ROM.
>>
>>3001728
I hated how the All-Stars versions of Super Mario 1 and 2j don't have the subtle graphical differences with each other that the original NES/FC versions had.
>>
>>3000637
>>3000672
>only different in a way that matters to people who want to speed run the game

The main difference in that regard for both 1 and lost levels, and the one that bothers me the most, is that the piranha plant hitbox is taller. There are some places (4-1 on smb comes to mind) that you can just run and jump past a piranha plant pipe without being hit but you have to slow down (I think, at least I do, if you don't need to then it must be ultra precise) on all-stars. Other than that I generally like the SNES version more.

>>3000792
>but Mario and Luigi still has the overalls and shirt colors switched.
Funny you say that, nowadays I don't care much either way, but as a kid I used to like the smb1 color scheme way more and I was kinda sad that they changed it to the current one.
>>
pretty amazing cart, I didn't have my old famiclone anymore so getting All-Stars on the SNES was a treat to me back then, being able to replay game with a revamped 16-bit overhaul, blew my mind. If this wasn't the very first time i felt nostalgia playing video games, it must have been close.

I had the standard cart and sold it along with many other of my SNES carts around 1999 to afford S.E. Lain video tapes. I regret it because I sold games that are now pretty expensive like Castlevania X and SM RPG for like 10 bucks a piece. But luckily my cousins, who got the SNES bundle back then, lent me all their SNES games years ago so I have the SMAS+SMW cart now.

I replayed all of it last year. I think SMB2/USA is the one that got the best visual overhaul, SMB1 and LL are OK, have some nice backgrounds and the graphics look nice, SMB3 I don't like as much as the original, I like the original's metallic/spacey underground sections, on this version it has a more generic underground terrain textures and backgrounds, they're more elaborated, but not necessarily better looking, although still good enough, can't say it looks bad either.
I also think the music sounds better on NES, especially the ending theme, I think they could have made a better job at it on the SNES. But anyway, those are the few complains I have. I don't mind the physics change on SMB1/LL, don't even notice it.
>>
The controls and physics are the primary reason why I still enjoy Mario platformers, so All-Stars has no use for me.

Like someone said earlier, SMB1 is borked. That's an understatement really, I think they're completely fucked. The controls are bad not just for Mario, but bad period. It's more than just the bricks, it's that it's unusually stiff most of the time, while being loose when you want to turn around. It just feels like shit, which is a huge downgrade compared to the original. Despite all the enhancements that the Mario series added over the years, SMB1 still endures and it's because of its incredible controls.

SMB3 fares much better than than SMB1 in the controls department, but it's still worse. Simply put, it's more rigid.

On another note, I also prefer the visuals of the original. SMB1's graphics are iconic, while SMB3 has a weird, strange atmosphere. The generic look of All-Stars, which seems like the influence behind NSMB, is not a good replacement, despite the better technology.
>>
File: super_mario_bros_big.jpg (102 KB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
super_mario_bros_big.jpg
102 KB, 500x337
>>3001062
The point is that Bowser, Peach and the other characters looked differently on the Famicom boxart.
>>
>>3000640

It seems it wasn't a design choice but an unintentional bitflip, because the patch to fix this is minimal and changes just one byte in the code.
>>
>>3001103

can someone upload this... i don't have an account at that site and it won't let me download. matter of fact, if someone could help me out with a patched rom of this, that would really make my evening.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.