[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>starts DQ 1 >thinks it will be so much fun like FF1 >It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: 1455511792047.gif (186 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
1455511792047.gif
186 KB, 128x128
>starts DQ 1
>thinks it will be so much fun like FF1
>It's literally trash and I can't stand it after 5 minutes

Tell me DQ 1 is good enough.
>>
File: Phantasy_Star.png (11 KB, 526x395) Image search: [Google]
Phantasy_Star.png
11 KB, 526x395
>>3000248
You should try Phantasy Star 1. FF1 really isn't a very good game either, but as you discovered that's all it takes to be worlds better than Dragon Quest.

Phantasy Star blows them both out of the water. Go now, don't waste more time on DQ.
>>
>>3000248
>>3000263

And both games were released after the first Dragon Quest.

OP, I'd say go play Dragon Quest III if you think DQ1 is boring. DQ2 has some more variety and is more story-driven, but III is where it's at.
>>
>>3000274
dq2 is a little too open I think
>>
File: rogue_1.png (3 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
rogue_1.png
3 KB, 320x200
>>3000274
>And both games were released after the first Dragon Quest.

As if that matters in 2016. Age is no excuse for boring game design. There were more interesting games out before that. I agree that DQ II and III are much better, but unless you really want to experience it for yourself there's not a lot of reason to play the first game.
>>
>>3000248

be 10, it worked for me when i played it
>>
>>3000307

I'm 35 and played it for the first time last year. I thought it was fantastic. OP = faggot

>>3000263
>FF1 really isn't a very good game either

and you're even a bigger faggot than OP
>>
I think the GBC version made DQ1 a lot more bearable. I kind of enjoyed it, but not enough to really say "you gotta play DQ1, dude, don't skip it."
>>3000263
Listen to this anon and switch over to the PS series, or skip to DQIII or the SNES games if you must Dragon Quest.
>>
>>3000331
>and you're even a bigger faggot than OP

Ohh boy, I said something you disagree with so I'm a faggot. What insight! I really just don't think Final Fantasy is a very interesting game. The fact that the most efficient party is all fighters doesn't help, but even without the poor balance it's just not very interesting. No matter your party, the spell system means 90% of every random battle is just having everyone attack. That's boring.

Final Fantasy II and III are both far, far better games. As are DQ 2 and 3.

DQ1 gives you even less options which ultimately makes it even more boring. You're perfectly balanced to go through and the game hands you every important spell and item. Just keep moving forward and that's it.
>>
>>3000345
>I really just don't think Final Fantasy is a very interesting game.

Then learn how to express something as an opinion rather than stating it bluntly as if your shit opinion is fact, you retarded nigger.
>>
If you're going to play DQ1, play the gameboy or SNES version. If you really want to get into DQ, play 3 (SNES or GBC). For the love of god, don't make the same mistake 99% of retards who hate DQ make and assume that the entire series is exactly like DQ1.
>>
>>3000369
>says the guy who calls people who don't share his opinion faggots.

I gave him good advice. Of the early japanese RPGs, Phantasy Star is by far the most interesting design wise. OP was having trouble getting interested in the first Dragon Quest with good reason, I recommended something I think is better.
>>
File: ps1gdrgn[1].gif (26 KB, 303x200) Image search: [Google]
ps1gdrgn[1].gif
26 KB, 303x200
FF1 vs DQ1 vs PS1 isn't even a contest graphically
>>
>>3000248
Maybe because DQ didn't get good till the third installment, OP? Fucking fool.
>>
>>3000663
And graphics isn't even the biggest way that it surpasses those other games.
>>
>>3000283
>Current year
>These old games are oppressing me!
Say scooter, how goes that minecraft bat-cave?
>>
>>3000283
>Current year
>These old games are oppressing me!
Say scooter, how goes that minecraft bat-cave?
>>
>>3000715
Did you mean to reply to that post? What are you talking about?
>>
Honestly the best version of DQ1 is the mobile remake as insane as that sounds. I've been enjoying the game a lot, though I don't play it very often.
>>
>>3000248
DQ1 is pretty jarring when you first pop it on, but some reason I like it more the FF1. Maybe I just find DQ more charming then FF1 but like how the game expresses that theme of escaping your ancestors shadow and fulfilling your destiny through it's simple gameplay. You start of will the lofty task rescuing the princess and slaying The Dragonlord yet, you struggling to kill slimes. Eventually you get stronger, you have better equipment and monsters that once gave you trouble are now running in fear of you. You feel like you come a long way but then you face your first dragon and you and you're puny weapons can't even crack it's scales and you realize you still have a long way to go. When you finally fight The Dragonlord it felt much more climatic then the end of FF1 when the puny boss you fought at the start of the game becomes a God because time travel or something.

Anyways, DQ1 isn't for everyone but I'd recommend playing it first if you want to give DQ3 a shot.
>>
>>3000263
this tbqh familia

phantasy star is the fucking shit and i don't even like jrpgs
>>
What bothers me the most about DQ1 is the lack of a party.
Of course your mileage may vary, but I just don't feel RPGs with a single character, no matter how customizable. A customizable party makes me enjoy RPGs a lot.
>>
>>3001045
All depends how combat is carried out. Trying to play something like Vagrant Story or Hybrid Heaven with more than one character would be tedious.
>>
>>3001045
I actually prefer being one brick powerhouse than having a team. It's why I generally prefer playing roguelikes over RPG's.
>>
File: 1455047459808.png (296 KB, 459x450) Image search: [Google]
1455047459808.png
296 KB, 459x450
>>3000345
>most efficient party is four fighters
Motherfucker please...
>>
>>3001073
In context we are talking turn-based stuff, but I agree, action RPGs are a different beast.
>>
>>3001080
Roguelikes are rather different in design and concept. They usually compensate the lack of teamwork with extra equipment/customization options and more terrain/navigation abilities.
I've seen a few roguelikes with parties and they aren't terrible, though, but they are mostly 7DRL mini-games and thus rather shallow, unfortunately.
>>
>>3000663
>>3000696
Yet another testament to how sega tailspins talent into the fucking ocean. They had everything they needed to not suck and still became nintendo's bitch. This is bad management and bad PR in a nutshell. Hell, you could've given them fully immersive sandbox-VR back in the 80s and they'd still be bankrupt.
>>
>>3001152
You said Shenmue?
Well, not 80's but still counts.
>>
>>3000248
I had fun with Dragon Warrior (NES). Even played it shortly after Final Fantasy, with only one other game in betwen (Faxanadu). All those games were great, I couldn't stop playing until the end.
I guess some of the level grinding got tedious at times, but that didn't stop me.
>>
File: rape.png (20 KB, 569x500) Image search: [Google]
rape.png
20 KB, 569x500
>>3001108
Not him but most people who speedrun FF do it with a party of fighters because it's the fastest. There's a reason we're stuck with this stupid meme.
>>
Love FF1 (NES), and replay it every so often because it's quick and fun.

I've played both DQ1 and PS1, but stopped playing both in the final dungeon. DQ was a grind-fest that was never fun because your solo character has to juggle offense with healing and everything just takes fucking forever.

PS1 was hella fun until I hit the level cap @ 30 in Medusa's Tower. At that point, I still randomly got my shit pushed in by very bad rolls regularly. This was my first, but far from my last, experience with SEGA's bullshit RNG. Just eventually lost interest in replaying the same area hoping to get enough lucky encounters to make it to the end. The only way to beat this game is apparently to save scum it. Note that it has been many years since I last played, and maybe I misremember how bad I was at it for a lack of fortune...
>>
>>3002436
>I couldn't grind until the game was a cakewalk so it sucks and the only way to win is save scumming

This is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>3002436
PS1 fights are usually pretty easy, but the sheer number you'll encounter will slowly wear your party down. You will need as many burgers as you can carry and did you know that using the wand in battle allowed you to escape any fight?
>>
Why is it always FF vs DQ vs PS as if those were the only RPGs at the time?
Megaten is a bigger franchise than PS.
>>
>>3002595
Because most of the people here are from English speaking countries where the first megaten game we got was Persona.

Also PS is proof that more popular doesn't mean better.
>>
>>3000340

Yeah, I recommend most people to just play the GBC or SNES version of DQ1. The NES one just feels very grindy. There's things you can do to push through at lower levels/equipment and such, but it still doesn't remove too much of the grind in my mind.
>>
>>3000885

That's a good one too. Fun one to play on the go.
>>
>>3001029

That's an interesting reading of the JRPG mechanics. I've never really thought about it that way. I wonder if they ever intended any symbolism to the grind, or if it was just a their implementation of Wizardry style gameplay.

I will say, I liked the twist of FF1 better though. For what it was I think that they had a pretty creative concept for a JRPG of that day and age.

Though PS is still just the most impressive to me. And then PS2, woo.
>>
>>3002846
>I will say, I liked the twist of FF1 better though

What did you think of the Dissidia's twist regarding this twist?
>>
>>3002886

I didn't play Dissidia all the way through, so I don't know it.
>>
>>3002610
But Europe, Australia etc didn't get the early FF or DQ either.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.