[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Storage/Collection
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 17
File: IMG_0433.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0433.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2048
How does /vr/ display or store their collection?

My new set up is pic related. Works well for my relatively decent collection I have going. I'm considering screwing the alphabetical order crap and just doing a most played/best games thing. Having shit like BTTF on NES and Bob the Builder on PS1 at the top of my stacks is kind of dumb. How would you guys reccomend sorting them?
>>
>>2999132
Absolutely not like that. That pussy repellent will have your shit covered in dust, yellowed and faded in almost no time. Keep your precious in a cool dark cave where potential mates won't see it.
>>
>>2999312
Any woman who would act like that is not worth having in your life. What are you going to do, hide your favorite hobby and do it in secret for the entire time you are courting this woman? Not worth it. There are plenty of women who are either into, or do not mind/care about retro video games. Enter a relationship with these women, not the kind of women who hate your hobbies, and wish you would stop enjoying them.
>>
>>2999312
>tfw I have my collection stashed in a room with one window, always shut with curtains drawn
>tfw gf opens window when I'm not around
>what's the big deal anon I just wanted to let some sunlight in
>>
>>2999132
>shit stacked vertically
>shit in front of other shit
>can't even see what your n64 games are without taking them off shelf
Just the worst.
>>
>>2999132
Gamecube is not retro. Please crop the photo and repost.
>>
>>2999132
>dat stack of loose gamecube games
>>
>>2999132
>Stacking on top of each other instead of side by side

Why do people do this?

I literally do not understand it. You can build shelves, or modify existing shelves easily to accommodate the extra needed platforms.

It's just objectively inferior. Instead of just pulling out a game and putting it back easily because the space is empty easily telling you where it goes, if you want one in the middle of the stack, you gotta lift and pull it out, then lift and put it back AND remember where it goes in the stack.

Just fucking terrible. It really grinds my gears. There is no reason to do this unless you're a total dingus or you're a fucking hoarder who doesn't actually play his games (see: metal jesus rocks)
>>
>>2999132
>biggest libraries are N64 and Wii, easily the worst of any Nintendo console
>Greatest Hits and Players choice everywhere
>loose discs
>amiibo litered throughout
>shitty stacking
>gameboy advance games in custom game cases, but other cart games not in UGC

Would not hang with / 10
>>
File: santorum.jpg (79 KB, 550x378) Image search: [Google]
santorum.jpg
79 KB, 550x378
>>2999132
>relatively decent collection
>>
>>2999516
Please don't play the games you collect. You are only causing unnecessary wear and tear on the carts, and reducing the resale value. IF you really want to play games that bad, use an emulator, and leave the carts to the real collectors.
>>
Everything's currently in boxes. I'm putting up shelves along the wall of a room so I can store my collection there.
>>
>>2999518
Gamecube is worse than N64.
>>
>>2999532
That is one fucking shitty opinion man.
>>
>>2999545
Gamecube was just an N64 rehash with inferior games and superior graphics.
OoT and MM > WW and TP
Mario 64 > Sunshine
Smash Bros 64 > Melee
F Zero X > GX
Lylat Wars > Starfox Adventures
>>
>>2999549
>Lylat Wars

Oh, you're a europoor, that explains a lot.
>>
>>2999132
I have a bunch of shelves in my closet that I keep them on and just separate them by console, with Nintendo shit on one wall and Sony shit on the other.
I keep all my electronics, albums and dvds in there too. It's just convenient.

>>2999516
Putting together extra shelves for something that's such a minor hassle isn't really worth the time or effort.
>>
>>2999554
Oh, you're a burger. How's it feel to be only 30% white?
>>
>>2999556
So you're lazy then?

It should take an hour or less. It will make your shit look a lot more presentable, and functional.

I swear /vr/ is so fucking stupid, and lazy.
>>
>>2999562
When you're working with space constraints, sometimes stacking is the way to go. Keep it less than 12-15 games in a stack and there shouldn't be any damage or hassle.
>>
>>2999549
>Smash Bros 64 > Melee
>F Zero X > GX
Nobody actually believes this.
Also the Gamecube had more interesting games coming from Nintendo's second party and western teams, as well as third parties. The only developers who were great on the N64 that weren't really present were Rareware and Treasure. Games like Killer 7, Resident Evil 4, Tales, Fire Emblem, Viewtiful Joe, Metroid Prime, Monkey Ball and Skies of Arcadia were all cool as hell and didn't really have equivalents on the N64.

Whether you prefer the N64 or GCN really seems to comes down to what franchises you care about.
>>
>>2999567
I don't think you understand how volume works.

It takes up the same physical space. A quarter inch of extra shelf is so minimal that you won't notice it.
>>
File: HDD.jpg (135 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
HDD.jpg
135 KB, 768x768
>>2999132

>How does /vr/ display or store their collection?
>>
>>2999569
>Smash Bros 64 > Melee
This is true. 64 is far superior. Enjoy your clones, useless new stages, imbalanced characters, useless new items, and awkward gameplay.
>F Zero X > GX
X has better gameplay, a better soundtrack, better character design, and better game modes. GX has floaty controls, a shit story campaign, and shit music.

Only Skies of Arcadia, out of those, is good and it's a Dreamcast port.
>>
>>2999578
With verical stacking you can go right up to the top of a shelf. With horizontal, on the other hand, there is usually a gap at the top unless the games are the perfect size to fit.
>>
File: DSCF1333.jpg (294 KB, 1700x1384) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1333.jpg
294 KB, 1700x1384
there are more cartridges in the black box thingy, xbox games not present.
>>
>>2999346
One just has to break out Mario Kart. Bitches -- ALL bitches -- love Mario Kart. This is a fact.
>>
>>2999346
Any woman who likes a mess like that would be the best you can find in your trailer park. Court her and make lots of trailer babies.

>>2999381
My collection doesn't fit in one room.
There's these things called doors and they've been making them for cabinets for quite a while.
>>
I don't display shit. My collection is hidden from the sun. UVs already damaged to much of my stuff.
>>
>>2999549
>basing your entire assumption on first party.

Now instead you should be comparing

Banjo Kazooie
Perfect Dark
Turok
Mischief makers
007 Goldeneye

To

007 Nightfire
Chibi Robo
Custom Robo
Gotcha force
Tales of Symphonia
Eternal darkness

Both had great titles. You can't just base it on nintendo exclusives.
>>
>>2999549
N64 was just a SNES rehash with inferior games and superior graphics.
ALTTP > OoT and MM
Super Mario kart > Mario Kart 64
Kirby Dreamland 3 > Kirby 64
F Zero > F-zero X
Starfox > Starfox 64
>>
In the process of improving it.

i recently got a great 7 foot Book case 2.5 ft wide that I plan to tweak and drill in custom shelving for If all goes well, I should have 7 shelves each dedicated to each generation of nintendo from NES to Wii-U

Each shelf holds 38 standard DVD cases, and 22 UGCs Which finally gives me a cap to shoot for, because I only collect/keep games to play them again, and I really don't want 30+ games in any given library unless it's the DS.
>>
File: CaKBoiTUEAAPW3C.jpg (124 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
CaKBoiTUEAAPW3C.jpg
124 KB, 768x1024
Here's a photo of shelves in progress. It was fun making shelves out of Ikea endtables.
>>
File: 1454875403-dsc-0093-1.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1454875403-dsc-0093-1.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
I'm running out of space
>>
>>3000276
Why do you have pictures of blue butts & titties there?
>>
>>3001415
To creep people out.
>>
>>2999525
>oh.. wow.. is this..?
>oh fuck.. damn..
>YES IT'S BAIT
>>
>>2999132

Stacking carts like that will cause swell marks on the plastic. They can't actually support all that weight. It's advisable to keep them in separate cases, or line them up like a row of books (but not tightly packed)

I can't tell you how many games I've bought from eBay that had unsightly white streaks on them because the reseller kept them in stacks. Which is one of the reasons I stopped buying used games to begin with. Nobody knows how to take care of their shit.
>>
>>3002929
>i look at the carts instead of playing the games
You can do what you want with your carts but only a faggot does that.
>>
Maybe I can ask here: Does anyone know of that one reposted battlestation picture where the guy has like twenty consoles set up in a big shelf unit with square holes? Does anyone know where I could buy something like that?

Maybe not the exact same thing (since I think someone pointed out that there weren't even any holes in the back for wires), but something I can use to set up around fifteen game consoles at the same time? Preferably with enough surface area on top to support a mid-sized CRT.
>>
>>3002929
They'd have to be bigger stacks than that. I've kept my NES games stacked in stacks of 8 or so for years and they're fine.
>>
File: Expedit-White-Shelving-Unit.jpg (158 KB, 1600x1062) Image search: [Google]
Expedit-White-Shelving-Unit.jpg
158 KB, 1600x1062
>>3003359
I bought something like that at Ikea a while back. But actually better because the shelves were square. So you could actually open the lids on CD consoles or use something taller than just a regular cart.
Of course I don't use it for displaying consoles because I'm not a manchild but if you are it would be ideal.
When I bought it they also had these square plastic drawers that fit into the shelves. I didn't get any because they were translucent with bright colored trim. But ones that blocked UV rays and hid the toys within might actually make this a viable option.
>>
File: Shelves.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
Shelves.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
>>
File: grendel dark.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
grendel dark.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>3004218
>>
>>3004218
Yuck, this hurts to look at.
Nothing like some mildewy Chrono Trigger, Mega Man, and Zelda boxes to trigger me.
>>
>>3004220
They're fine, Anon.
>>
>>3004219
What are the bar floor mats for?
>>
>>3004198
How would that make someone a manchild? Are you really that insecure about your hobbies?

My aim isn't to display them, though. I just want to have all of them set up and connected at the same time. What you suggested looks like pretty much what I want, though. I'll look into it, thanks.
>>
>>3004198
WOW so intelectual, SUCH a bookworm
>>
>>3004302
The floor is packed earth
>>
File: roller shutter cab.jpg (7 KB, 279x300) Image search: [Google]
roller shutter cab.jpg
7 KB, 279x300
>>3004503
Putting your child toys on display is pretty much the definition of a manchild. I don't make the rules but they do make sense to me. I'm not at all insecure about my hobbies. In fact I'm so secure that I don't have to leave them out in the open where everyone can see how my insecurity trumps tidiness. If someone wants to leave them out in the open that's their choice. But aside from being pussy repellent it makes them susceptible to light and dust.

I understand the convenience of having multiple consoles plugged in at the same time. But at some point it just takes up more space than it's worth. I gave up on that at about 8. Now I store then in cabinets with roller shutters, similar to pic related. That holds a dozen or so of the consoles I play the most including a number of large old backup devices as well as a bunch of handhelds and plenty of controllers/accessories. I have a few larger office style roller shutter cabinets for spares and CIB and stuff I rarely use in the storage room.
>>
>>2999724
Why are your Gamecube games upside down?
>>
>>3004610
Having game consoles on a shelf in an entertainment setup isn't 'untidy'. You don't store your DVD player away in a cabinet whenever you're not using it (unless you do, in which case that's kinda weird, dude). It's just another machine in your TV setup. Controllers should obviously be stored in a cabinet or drawer somewhere, but you don't look messy just by having an NES under your TV. Also dust can easily be mitigated with TV stands that have glass cabinets or just, you know, dusting.

>pussy repellent
This part right here is absolutely insecurity. If you're going to get a woman, she's going to find out about your video games eventually. Why hide it? My fiancee thinks my game collection is cool as shit.
>>
>>3004670
I'm not that guy, but those are PAL games. They had the GCN logo on the top of the spine instead of the bottom.

It's a better layout, in my opinion, since it matches every other game console on the shelf. However, a majority of PAL games use a shitty standard font for spines instead of logos, so PAL collections look somewhat bland.
>>
File: 2016-02-18 00.37.37.jpg (574 KB, 2934x1704) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-18 00.37.37.jpg
574 KB, 2934x1704
This isn't really my storage shelf, but for now, being that my retro game collection is so small, I'm keeping my stuff on my tv stand.
Pic relevant, just finished setting it up. Me and my roommate built it together, I gotta say it turned out pretty snazzy.
I'm any case, I gotta get a dedicated shelf for my games, cus I plan on buying a lot more, and I'm running out of room on my current shelf (not pictured) that has my entire movie collection.
What do you guys think? Think that it'll be suitable for multiple consoles? I feel like it'll work well for what I have planned to get.
Framemeister is in the middle, not pictured on the left side because my camera cut it off: my ogre battle, and my subwoofer. Its a goddamn shame that the snes doesn't take advantage of anything but stereo. I hardly ever hear anything coming out of the bass channel.
In any case, movies look and sound like dynamite on my setup.
Sorry for rambling on, I'm just oddly proud of this shitty little shelf I put together ;w;
>>
>>3004693
>boxed copies of all the best SNES games
>framemeister

Honestly your collection is already A+. Quality over quantity.
>>
>>3004696
Ty anon :3
I really wanna get a genny to play around with, with my framemeister. The rgb that the genesis outputs is supposedly amazing. That, and games are so much cheaper for it than SNES.
>>
>>3004685
Figured it was something like that. Thanks, anon
>>
>>3004218
>>3004219
Wow, we got some real dungeon masters here.
>>
>>3004673
15 consoles on display on a shelf under your TV isn't the same as one DVD player bro. A DVD player isn't even the same as one console. Everyone watches videos and new ones come out every day. It's likely only you enjoy 25 year old content on your NES.

People seem to project really hard about insecurity and girls here. I suppose it's hard to explain to a kid who hasn't been married for 20+ years that his gamer girl girlfriend isn't going to want your living room filled with that shit forever. It might even happen that as you get older and acquire things of more valuable than a rare NES-001 you might want to put those on display instead.
>>
>>2999312
Being this beta
>>
>>3004925
You keep saying "on display" as if that's my goal here. I don't give a shit whether everyone else can or can't see my game consoles. The goal is to have them accessible and ready to play, not to show them off. My current setup has all my connected consoles behind solid cabinet doors. Which I actually love, but it only holds four devices tops and it's a pain in the ass to slide behind it whenever I need to connect/disconnect something.

Also, you can call it projecting all you want, but it sounds like you have textbook closeted insecurity to me. You're quick to lash out at others who openly enjoy the same hobby while feeling like you have to keep yours tucked away so as not to embarrass yourself around others. You own at least a dozen game consoles, several handhelds, and a storage room full of CIB games, and yet it's everyone else who's the "manchildren" playing with "child toys". A well-behaved child puts their toys away in the toy box, but they're still a child.

I have no issue with the way you store and enjoy your video games, but just because your supposed wife of 20+ years has made you feel shameful about your hobbies doesn't mean you need to take it out on everyone else.
>>
>>3004925
Not saying this applies to you specifically, but if your wife complains about your hobbies, then you didn't ask the right questions prior to proposing, and will likely be a divorce statistic in a few years.
Doesnt matter if that hobby is video games, travelling, music, or studying 19th century post colonial architecture. You're still seeing the opening acts of a serious relationship problem.

Also, /vr/ in general is in deep denial about how mainstream gaming is now days, especially among younger generations (millenials are leaving college). Remember, the atari generation is starting to have grandkids at this point. My 61 year old father still has his trs-80 hooked up to play quasar commander.
>>
>>3004610
Just out of curiosity what are you supposed to do with your collection - bury it in the back yard?
>>
>>3005107
Just ignore him, mate. It's bait.

As for the setup, google "Ikea hacks" if you haven't already. People take those Kallax cubbies and fasten them together or to other pieces to make media centers all the time. You'll need something sturdier to support the TV; those thicker walls are more or less cardboard with OSB wafers and paper inside. Also, if you're fastening, you need to figure out where the solid points with OSB are to anchor to, or whether you need to open it up and add some (if that's the case, go get some wooden alphabet blocks from Wal-Mart or whatever, they're the perfect thickness to fit and they're drillable). Anyway, hope this helps some, don't let that insecure fag get you down.
>>
>>3005138
Thanks for the advice kid but you're 20+ years wrong. You just don't seem to understand how filling the family space with your toys isn't a hobby. Despite what you might think from drooling over battlestation threads that's not what playing video games is all about.
I don't fill my living room with toys because I don't want to. I'm not a manchild. My wife is happy with that. You really seem overly concerned about that and read a lot more into it than there is. I'm guessing deep down you know your girl doesn't like your mess.

>>3005164
I explained what I do with my collection in the post you replied to dingus. You probably don't need to worry about pussy repellent until you're old enough to read.
>>
>>3005256
>I don't fill my living room with toys because I don't want to.
apparently you didn't notice the
>Not saying this applies to you specifically, but

The insults people use are most commonly the same insults that bother them the most. Which makes it a little strange the you keep tossing out phrases like "manchild" and "pussy repellent" or calling everything a toy. Oh, and just because youve been together for 20 years doesnt mean things wont ever go sour. dont set yourself up for expectations like that, be it good or bad.
>>
>>3005284
Jesus, people, stop taking the bait.
>>
What a surprise that neo-/vr/ can't even talk about shelves without mega amounts of drama.
>>
File: IMG_20160218_182912.jpg (2 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160218_182912.jpg
2 MB, 1836x3264
>>
>>3005284
Calling things what they are isn't insults. Video games are toys. If you have a problem with that it goes a long way to explain your obsession with being insecure about them. Would you have a problem calling a typical grownup toy like a sports car a toy?
>>
File: setup (1280x960).jpg (598 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
setup (1280x960).jpg
598 KB, 1280x960
No CRT and I don't care either.
>>
>>3006146
I don't know exactly when the /v/-tier "you're wrong and and a terrible person, stop liking things I don't like" shitposting mentality infected /vr/ but it seems like it's dug in pretty deep, sadly
>>
>>3006372
>Would you have a problem calling a typical grownup toy like a sports car a toy?
yes
>>
File: 14558350031991224488995.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
14558350031991224488995.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>3006389
Where are all the games? Srsly, that seems to be only a few games and that in mind it is hilarious how many consoles I see

Also bumping with my shelf.
>>
>>3006605
I was going to ask you how you managed to balance your games like that but...
>>
>>3006389
That's a big dragon dildo.
>>
So what about the people who largely just collect physical PC games?
>>
>>3006389

>box of friends
>>
>>3006645

goes good with the gamecube
>>
I got one of those ikea cube things I put my consoles on, and a bookshelf for games and other various shit.

The one thing I'm not sure how to store are all my GBC/GBA games. You can't see what game you want if you have them neatly stacked, GBA shit doesn't even stack properly, they all fall over if you try standing them up, etc. And fuck doing that bullshit where you take DS cases and print out alternate covers. It's just wasted money and they'd take up too much space.

Currently they're all basically in a little bin on my shelf, but I'd like to have a more functional way to store them, and in such a way that I'm not rummaging through a bin every time I want to get a game.
>>
>>3006605
I don't have a pic of games on hand but I have a good plenty more I assure you
>>
>>3006541
Then you have issues and are just projecting with all your talk of insecurity. Sorry you're offended but 4chan isn't a safe space. Probably best if you just stick to discussing storage and just don't respond to comments that trigger you.
>>
File: gameboyadvancecolorbinder.png (428 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
gameboyadvancecolorbinder.png
428 KB, 580x435
>>3007094

>And fuck doing that bullshit where you take DS cases and print out alternate covers. It's just wasted money and they'd take up too much space.

Do a binder and use those trading card pages.
>>
File: 1270011337201.jpg (727 KB, 1000x2492) Image search: [Google]
1270011337201.jpg
727 KB, 1000x2492
>>3007094
An anon posted these some time ago.
They end up being cheap and small, but takes some assembling.
>>
File: 1276029126871.jpg (824 KB, 1000x2892) Image search: [Google]
1276029126871.jpg
824 KB, 1000x2892
>>3010583
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.