[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In your opinion what is the best RPG you have played?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 23
File: bl5fsg6dgkwrliyfmwkc.jpg (133 KB, 636x292) Image search: [Google]
bl5fsg6dgkwrliyfmwkc.jpg
133 KB, 636x292
In your opinion what is the best RPG you have played?
>>
Mars Matrix, you collect cubes to use as currency and there is an exp system.
>>
>>2997390
I'm usually not big on RPGs, but I'd have to say Planescape Torment and Deus Ex. If you count Star Control 2 as an rpg then that's in there too. I'm hoping to get into the Ultima series some time. Maybe play Teranigma as well.
>>
I really liked Vagrant Story.

Great setting, great combat, cool box puzzles, interesting weapon crafting / combining system. Cool story, great music. Awesome locations and ambiance.
>>
/vrpg/? shadowrun on genesis. felt truly unique back then. played the snes version at a friends house and couldn't believe it had the same title.
>>
Phantasy Star IV
>>
>>2997406
>I really liked Vagrant Story.

I'll second this. Definitely one of the most balanced and polished RPG systems ever to come about. It's too bad Square never revisted the formula.

I think the PS2 remake of Romancing SaGa is also worth mentioning. The remake adds a variety of new skills that influence how you can interact with treasures and obstacles on the map, so there's a lot more to do than just grind on random battles.

My only complaint is the map redesigns. Although the game world is much more vivid and expanded, a lot of areas are broken off into smaller series of branching paths instead of one ubiquitous and interlinked map. Being tunneled through one series of forks to another is frankly a needless tedium, especially when you need to backtrack.
>>
Probably Final Fantasy Tactics. I've certainly played it more than any other RPG. The story being familiar to the War of The Roses always interested me. As well as the ability to play the game however you want, you can death train it and whip everyone or handicap yourself for fun. Just an unreal amount of replayability and content in a fun play style.

For regular RPGs and not SRPGs, I honestly really like FFVIII and IX. Pretty equal on play time, beaten each about four times and one on each being a 60hour run where I do everything possible.

Some games that people tend to really like, such as Wild Arms or Xenogears, I found to be kind of a trudge to get through.
>>
I like all the classics, but I think Deus Ex and System Shock 2 take the cake. Choosing between those is like picking your favorite child; I just can't do it.
>>
>>2997390
Best RPG, as in allowing the most actual role-playing, is Fallout 2.
>>
There's one series I've never played and that's Ultima. I kind of want to start at 7 since that's what my friends played when I was younger, but it would feel stupid not to start from the beginning. But apparently the first few Ultimas have next to no story. Any Ultima fans want to chime in? Is 7 a good place to start?
>>
mother 3
>>
File: 4golbeze-a.jpg (49 KB, 359x600) Image search: [Google]
4golbeze-a.jpg
49 KB, 359x600
Going with Final Fantasy 2 on the SNES. It really is what got me into RPGs as a whole and I still enjoy the somewhat simple story and characters. The game is piss easy though.
>>
>>2997643

Ever try the PSP remake?

I found it to be a tad harder but was still a pretty brisk playthrough. Love the game so I like to play every version of it.
>>
>>2997390
>>2997406
>>2997507
>>2997597
>>2997625
>>2997643
My niggas
Love all those, especially Vagrant Story and PS4.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (271 KB, 1500x855) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
271 KB, 1500x855
>>2997390
probably star ocean 2, even then it's probably a tie between this and one of the chronos
>>
Never played many RPGs, I remember picking up a random RPG when I was a kid and being immensely annoyed by the constant random encounters. My first full RPG experience was Super Mario RPG.

Recently discovered Etrian Odyssey (IV) and SMT (loving Soul Hackers), but I already know those are probably nowhere near god-tier.

Anny recommendations?
>>
File: ff4cgrydiaxm2.jpg (194 KB, 576x883) Image search: [Google]
ff4cgrydiaxm2.jpg
194 KB, 576x883
>>2997650

Never cared to own a PSP. There are good games for the system, but I've somewhat hit my limit on consoles now.

However, the PS1 and GBA remakes of the game are pretty nice. A small step up in terms of challenge and the GBA game extra dungeons are awesome.
>>
>>2997676

Ah. Well if you ever get the chance to play it whether on PSP or PSTV or emulation, its really nice. I like it more than the GBA/PS1 versions.
>>
File: dq5.jpg (192 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
dq5.jpg
192 KB, 1024x768
I really like Dragon Quest V
>>
Baldur's Gate 2
Planescape Torment
>>
Metal max
>>
File: rydia.jpg (123 KB, 410x800) Image search: [Google]
rydia.jpg
123 KB, 410x800
Can't decide between FF4, FF9, FF Tactics, and Dragon Quest VIII
>>
>>2997676
those are not child-bearing hips. nearly transexual desu
>>
Baldur's Gate I and II
>>
>>2997390
Chrono Trigger
>>
My favorite is Phantasy Star IV. Not sure if it's the best, but it's up there.
>>
>>2997659
this
>>
>>2997390
Chrono Trigger
>>
Earthbound has always been my favorite
>>
File: Dart 1.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Dart 1.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
My favorite is Legend of Dragoon its pretty cliche but the system is interesting and it handles the cliches well to have them be fun and enjoyable
>>
>>2997390
Final Fantasy 1 for NES
>>
Darklands.
If you have not played it, you are true pleb.
>>
Where my srpg brothers at? Playing Kartia now and loving it. What's your favorite?
>>
>>2997390

Chrono Trigger.

yeah, let's name only one game.
>>
>>3001676

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy IV
Phantasy Star IV
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II

Secret of Mana
Legend of Zelda III

I would have played more, but I've focused my short life on other genres like Vertical Shooters.

Any recommendations based on this list would be grand!
>>
File: Earthbound-Mother 2.png (917 KB, 1523x825) Image search: [Google]
Earthbound-Mother 2.png
917 KB, 1523x825
>>2997390
gonna be a fag with this one , but Earthbound
>>
>>3001703

Does it have wonky talk menus like Dragon Quest? lol, too bad for those shitty talk/search menus. Way too unfun. Negative fun-factor.

I like the one-button to auto-talk/auto-search feature. Like in Final Fantasy VI.

How many buttons do you need in an RPG?

'OK/Talk/Search' and 'Menu/Cancel'.

lol, I guess that's only two buttons. See you on the NES, XBox360 12 button controller fags.
>>
>>3001721
uhhh wat
>>
File: dragon quest.png (14 KB, 192x179) Image search: [Google]
dragon quest.png
14 KB, 192x179
>>3001725

You press 'OK' and this shitty menu comes up. In a real game, nothing should happen at all when you press 'OK' unless you are standing in front of a person or a treasure chest, in which case you automatically start talking, or receive the damn item.
>>
>>3001730
use the L button. its not hard to figure out the menus
>>
File: baldans.png (2 MB, 1151x604) Image search: [Google]
baldans.png
2 MB, 1151x604
There's really nothing that comes close to the Baldur's Gate saga in terms of tactical options, replay value, content, user interface, and overall variety. Graphics, sound, and art design are great, too.

It even has multiplayer that's actually really fun. I just beat the first one in a 3 player multiplayer game, and it went surprisingly well. We're starting off 2 now.

I'm not a PC elitist, though. JRPGs are great games to chill out with. Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy 7, Phantasy Star IV, and Lunar 2 are my favorites.
>>
>wrpg
Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Avernum: Escape from the Pit, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, so many good ones, hard to decide.
>jrpg
Final Fantasy IV on GBA. Hands down.
>>
>>2997637
I think IV-VI is a trilogy, if I'm remembering my childhood right. That's a good place to start.
>>2997670
If you don't like random encounters much, maybe try crpgs instead of jrpgs?
>>
>>3001730

The NES doesn't have an L button. Either way, it's a shitty game mechanic. It's not fun. It's like playing Super Mario Bros and pressing jump, then a menu appears that says:

-Command-
Jump Duck
Stay Run
>>
>>3001751

What is a jRPG? Is that something gay? Never heard of it. Only heard of RPG, Action RPG, Platform RPG, Strategy RPG/Wargame.

Final Fantasy 7, ever? Why? Are you a moron? Thanks Square, Thanks Sony, Thanks for your shit.

lol, don't spoil Lunar for me, I have the Sega CD carts, and I haven't played them yet. Always wanted to play them, along with the Saturn Albert Odyssey.

I know there are so many good RPGs I never got to play. Fuck this Jewish world.

If the Jews would release all the good 2D games again at a good price, I might forgive them for lying about the Holocaust. Maybe they can use all that free Holocaust money to pay us back.

Hardcore 2D Heil!
>>
File: dbzbKtb.png (166 KB, 312x363) Image search: [Google]
dbzbKtb.png
166 KB, 312x363
>>2997390
WRPG - Morrowind

JRPG - Dark Cloud 2

Third Person RPG - Diablo 2 LOD

MMORPG - WoW Vanilla and BC
>>
Favorite WRPG is Morrowind
Favorite JRPG is either one of the last two mother games.
>>
>>2997390
Valkyrie Profile
>>
File: 3881-xenogears-005-arrix.jpg (169 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
3881-xenogears-005-arrix.jpg
169 KB, 1280x1024
I'd have to put Xenogears on the top of any list.

a few others that are up there, and that i haven't seen here yet.

LUNAR: SSSC
LUNAR2: EBC
Grandia
Final Fantasy IX. (can't not put this down)

Other greats that I could think of: Star Ocean series (2 and 3 at least), Tales of series, Wild Arms series, Phantasy Star series (IV), breath of fire series (first 4 at least), Persona series, Suikoden series, Dragon Quest VIII,
>>
>>3001751
>tactical options, user interface
>Graphics
You're having a giraffe. The Infinity Engine is absolutley woeful. The point & pray interface completly wrecks any tactics you come up with by having the pathfinding send your characters in the wrong direction and basically ignore your commands all the while time ticks by in the 'real time' battle system. If you could just move characters directly with the keyboard instead of hoping they can find their own way, these games could be pretty good. As the interface stands, they are a real struggle to play.

As for the graphics, god damn bruv, how blind can ya get. The characters do not have unique sprites and face the wrong way during cutscenes. (seems to be a Bioware tradition, even in Kotor they couldn't get it right)

I'm not saying I hate these games, 'cause I don't, but your high praise for them baffles me.
>>
>>3002063
>face the wrong way during cutscenes
maybe they're just shy. Character traits!
>>
>>3001807
Reading this made me feel like i had a stroke.
>>
>>2997670
Etrian Odyssey IV is my favorite 3DS game. It's really so beautifully streamlined, the class system is amazingly balanced, too. It's easier than its predecessors but mostly because the skill system is so optimized. While some classes and builds are clearly better than others, it still leaves a lot of freedom in how you go about building your party, and this is something I miss in many retro games.

It's not really an RPG, though (definitely not a JRPG), it's a dungeon crawler.

As for recommendations try the other EO games. Untold 1/2 and EO3 to begin with. I also liked SMT IV.

>>3002026
Grandia is also high on my list. Looks absolutely beautiful and has an interesting turn-based battle system. The major flaw in this game is that it's so easy that you are never really motivated to experiment with the battle system since rushing bosses with strong attacks to delay their turns until they die is always the best tactic.

>>3001701
>Zelda III
Do you mean the unreleased NES game or A Link to the Past? The latter is definitely not an RPG.
>>
>>2997637
Start with IV. It'll give you the run down of I-III
I love V and VI currently playing through VII. Its a blast
>>
>>3001751
>enjoying dirt aesthetics and clunky combat
>knee-jerk, passive/aggressive JRPG jab completely out of left field and completely unrelated to the former paragraph.
Autism speaks
>>
>>2997390
Chrono Trigger
Vagrant Story
Tactics Ogre
Phantasy Star 4
>>
WRPG: Fallout 2
JRPG: Suikoden 2
>>
>>2997390

final fantasy 7. And the best game.
>>
My favorite retro RPG is Suikoden 2. The Luca Blight battle alone was basically better than most other RPGs during my childhood.
>>
How am I the very first person to say Final Fantasy 7?
>>
>>3003169
I take it back.

Paper Mario 64 > FF7
>>
>>3002026
>I'd have to put Xenogears on the top of any list.

Books are not video games.
>>
>>3002340
I've heard good things about the Etrian Odyssey games. Someday I'll have to check one out.
>>
Morrowind
>>
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. It may have been Japan's way of saying we couldn't handle their complex FF1 but damn it was fun. It had Zelda like qualities that never came up again..
>>
>>3003324
>It had Zelda like qualities that never came up again..
Wild Arms.
>>
>>3003345
>>final fantasy
>>
Secret of the Stars had the greatest opening line of any RPG. Not the Mario RPG but a different one. Your mom just straight up says it's your destiny to kill the big bad guy.
>>
>>3003265
why the spoilers tho
>>
>>3003383
Cuz v hates it.
>>
Probably Grandia or Star Ocean.
>>
Nothing I've played comes close to Chrono Trigger & Suikoden 2.
>>
File: maxresdefault (30).jpg (281 KB, 1913x1064) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (30).jpg
281 KB, 1913x1064
>>3003386
>v
>or any board
>hating morrowind
aside from making fun of the combat I can't recall the last time someone said they disliked morrowind.

The last thread I remember about it was upgrading the graphics with mods in /v/
>>
File: 1446037687066.jpg (535 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1446037687066.jpg
535 KB, 1024x768
2D: Secret of Evermore
3D: Morrowind
>>
For 2D rpgs, Final Fantasy 6, only because I played them when I was young enough to be engaged by the story

3D, Morrowind/Daggerfall. No comparison.
>>
>>3003380

Oh, Tecmo Secret of the Stars. It and and Paladin's Quest/Lennon have special places in my heart.
>>
File: 13347442_p0.jpg (230 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
13347442_p0.jpg
230 KB, 707x1000
In terms of story?
Demon Gaze, Valkyrie Profile and some other game I can't name
In terms game play
Valkeryie profile.
>>
Ffv, made me love the characters and even cry at some points...syldra...
>>
File: cliffracer.jpg (49 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
cliffracer.jpg
49 KB, 800x600
>>3003514
I don't really dislike it but i must say it's totally broken and i can't stand it for more than 20 hours. It's a fascinating game fucked up in all the ways possible.
>>
File: 1394867119222.jpg (29 KB, 530x750) Image search: [Google]
1394867119222.jpg
29 KB, 530x750
>>
>>2997390
hands down SMT IV
>>
File: 1441895973723.jpg (158 KB, 700x850) Image search: [Google]
1441895973723.jpg
158 KB, 700x850
If I can have a remake of a retro game then easily Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song. If I have to stick with retro it is probably a toss up between SaGa Frontier and Hybrid Heaven.
>>
>>2997942
my black guy
>>
>>2997406
This
>>
>>2998446
The memory's really enjoyed the leveling system
>>
>>3001512
I had stated priorly that FFT was my favorite, Kartia is pretty decent, Front missions are always a good choice, and I suffered through forty hours of Hoshigami ruining Blue Earth before I couldn't handle grinding anymore.

Sitting on a couple other ones at the moment, primarily Vanguard Bandits is the one I need to play since I got it not long ago for a good price.
>>
>>3003694
Oh shit, that's the game that I cut my teeth on RPGs with (>>2997670) I couldn't remember the name of it.

>>3001772
>crpgs
Never heard the term before, learning the distinction now. Hmm.

>>3002340
>>3003212
EOIV is tits. But yeah, technically not an RPG I guess. Still, as someone that doesn't into turn-based combat much, I really got sucked into EO's battle system (same with Persona Q, which I also bought). I've played the Untold demos (2 seems better by far, but I don't like the whole Grimoire stones thing; too complicated and convoluted) and I plan on picking up EOIII whenever I finish IV (assuming they don't do a remake of that by then).

SMT-wise I bought Soul Hackers, which is equally immersive (definitely an Atlus theme here with me). I suppose that actually counts as an RPG? (there is still dungeon crawling though). Thusly, >>3005023 this is my fetish.
>>
Doom with my made-up headcanon plot.
>>
>>3003701
Who is this female that likes to ingest male ejaculate?
>>
>>3005402
Strange Journey and Dark Spire while you're at it

Then I think you're out of those sorts of DS games
>>
File: cloud-and-tifa.jpg (1 MB, 1273x1123) Image search: [Google]
cloud-and-tifa.jpg
1 MB, 1273x1123
Final Fantasy VII. I don't care what anyone says, this game is amazing and will always be special to me.

Breath of Fire 3 is pretty good too, probably my second favorite.
>>
>>3005438
>Dark Spire
What a weird little game that was.
>>
>>3005438
>Dark Spire
Never heard of that one, interesting. Strange Journey is definitely on my radar, actually saw it for like $30 in-store somewhere but I didn't get it because I have so many fucking games holy shit.

Honestly though, storytelling and comfy shit are more my thing, it's kind of funny how I fell into dungeon crawling.
>>
File: sharkattack.jpg (125 KB, 576x525) Image search: [Google]
sharkattack.jpg
125 KB, 576x525
>>3005445
>All that loli
Makes me want to play this.
>>
>>3005501
There are only three lolis in the game though. One of them involves a minigame where you give her mouth to mouth.
>>
>>3005504
H-hot.
>>
>>2997390
its a toss up between star ocean 2 and secret of mana.

Secret of Mana holds a special place in my heart as it is the first rpg I played that got me into rpg's in the first place. Star Ocean 2 is just jammed packed with things like skills, crafting, friendships between characters, secret characters, multiple endings, cheesy voice acting. damn i gotta play star ocean 2 again see ya at the bunny races.
>>
>>2997669
THE ENEMY

"Well, that's somewhere around 80 points."

lol that time I played through it and accidentally released the last bosses limiter making him super hard. I was like fuck what the hell is going on. years later i finally found out about it
>>
>>2997680
i wish i could play these games but the battles where you dont see your characters in rpgs are always a no no for me
>>
>>3005445
FF7 is a landmark if nothing else. It did a lot of things right.
>>
>>3005402
OK, there are several Etrian Odyssey games for the 3DS. Which one to you recommend most for someone who's new to the series?
>>
>>3005549
>THE ENEMY
>
> "Well, that's somewhere around 80 points."

It wouldn't be a Tri-ace game if it didn't have suicide-inspiring voice acting.
>>
>>3007385
none. Start at 1, on the DS
>>
>>3007385
I would go for IV. I might scare you off, its not as well balanced and sometimes even broken. Then again the others might disappoint after IV.
>>
As far as JRPGs go, Lufia II.
>>
>>3007385
I went straight to IV. It's the most newbie-friendly in that you can arrange your party and classes just about anyway you want without fucking yourself over. Then the Untold games made EO even more approachable by adding a story mode with cutscenes and a bunch of quality-of-life tweaks. Untold 2 has more likeable characters and is a little more successful at what it's trying to do. It's also got a cafe.
>>
>>3007662
>newbie-friendly
Which makes it bullshit. I'm a terrible crawler, I hate minmaxing, and I went through EO 1 just fine. All it takes is some patience and some care, because you won't feel like a god from the very beginning. Teaches some fucking humility

>the Untold games made EO even more approachable by adding a story mode with cutscenes
First, since when do we consider the cinematic experience a good thing, especially on a tightly focused crawler? And second, what was wrong with the sparse but to-the-point dialogue in 1?
>>
>>3007671
I prefer the sparseness myself, but I was just telling him like it is.
>>
>>3007675
You were telling them that the cinematic experience is better, and that the original game is not beginner friendly. You were telling them bullshit.
>>
>>3007684
I said it was more ACCESSIBLE. Check your autism at the door.
>>
>>3007706
And it's not. cinematic bullshit does not make a game more accessible. It coats the game in gunk that distracts from it. EO is a crawler, nothing more, nothing less. It won't bother you with any distractions and just let you have your way with it. And any handholding introduced in the remakes is just that, handholding. EO is cool because it acknowledges the player as a thinking human being. The remakes suck, because they acknowledge the player as a drooling retard that needs everything spelt out.
>>
>>2997390
Wild Arms was the best traditional JRPG I have played. The soundtrack made it good.
>>
>>3007719
Do you understand what "accessible" means?
>>
>>3008239
Go on and define it for us.

Easy Mode: Don't use buzzwords
>>
>>3008241
Atlus is trying to reel in more people to Etrian Odyssey by making it more friendly to approach. Believe it or not, not everybody likes the idea of having to make risky decisions in a game that forces you to use your imagination. At the very least they're scared by it. It's not saying Untold is somehow "better." It's just friendlier. And maybe those people will move on to the harder ones after that.
>>
My personal favorites are Suikoden 1 and Grandia.

Suikoden had my favorite story. Grandia was just fun and filled with adventure.

There were so many good RPGs over the years that you can't go wrong.
>>
>>3008263
You do know that the story-focused ones are spinoffs, right?
>>
>>3008343
>spinoffs
What? They're remakes. They're taking the original game and tweaking it to make the frustrating things about it less frustrating, and then adding a primary mode to enrichen a story around it.

Persona Q is a spinoff. Etrian Mystery Dungeon is a spinoff. Untolds are remakes.
>>
>>3007776
That is an excellent choice. The opening drew me in, and the orchestral soundtrack and the practically non-existent load-times were amazing.
>>
File: 474870-halofront.jpg (105 KB, 640x908) Image search: [Google]
474870-halofront.jpg
105 KB, 640x908
oh ya know...
>>
>>3008498
Kek. Gets me every time
>>
>>3005551
Used to be a problem for me too. DQ5 is the game that I got over it for.
>>
Touhou Genius of Sappheiros

if you mean retro RPG: FF5
>>
I'm going to say FFV for it's job system and use of abilities outside of battle.
>>
>>3008938
Oh wow, me too.
>>
File: made_me_ripley.jpg (32 KB, 536x320) Image search: [Google]
made_me_ripley.jpg
32 KB, 536x320
>>3003207
>hurr Disc 2
>>
>>3011384
I'm not that guy, but I never got to the second disc due to how much text the game dumped on you. Sure it is good that RPG's have text, but when you go somewhere for a story event and the game just keeps dumping it onto you then it has got something wrong. It forgets it is a game, let me go out and experience things in the game and let me deduce on some things that are happening rather than unloading a ton of text onto me.

I even prefer some average games like Quest 64 over it just due to the fact that it doesn't saddle you with too much text and lets you go over to the forest quickly to do your thing since it remembers that it is still a game. Unless I am making decisions through this text thus influencing the game, text dumps are very unappealing.
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.