[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it even worth buying a legitimate Earthbound copy, or should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 15
File: 05XdMyd.jpg (110 KB, 1022x367) Image search: [Google]
05XdMyd.jpg
110 KB, 1022x367
Is it even worth buying a legitimate Earthbound copy, or should I just buy a reproduction?
>>
>>2996462
You could spend $200 or you can spend $20.
>>
>>2996462

Emulate or get the Wii U release...if you are one of 10 people who have one.
>>
>>2996462
That is solely up to you, isn't it?

I think there's a decent chance that Earthbound carts haven't hit their max price, if that makes a difference.
>>
What is it about Earthbound that seems to compel people to buy the cartridge, more than any other game?

Most fans didn't find out about it until recent years anyway so they should just enjoy the emulated rom.
>>
Who cares about fucking Earthbound?... A:Only YT GAYmers and autistic turds. emulate or buy a fake. China is making 100% "original" rare games and flooding the marketing ..and you CANT spot the difference. A bubble is now underway.... be aware "collectors".
>>
>>2996462
why are you not just emulating you stupid fuck
>>
>>2996485
A lot of Earthbound fans are extremely dedicated. They just really love the game and want to own it.
>>
>>2996485
>What is it about Earthbound that seems to compel people to buy the cartridge, more than any other game?

It's expensive but not Panzer Dragoon Saga expensive

also nintendo fans. They pay out the ass for mass produced main stream Zelda games
>>
>>2996486
If you open up the cart and check the board, the difference is obvious. Just don't buy an expensive cart off eBay without board pics.
>>
>>2996462
I'd just invest in a flashcart if I wanted to play on original hardware but was considering buying a repo.
>>
>>2996516
Anyone who gets any Nintendo console is going to want the Zelda game(s) for that console.
As such, demand is high for Zelda games and it establishes the cost for each game, which is usually around 20-30 since the supply is pretty ample.
So, in conclusion, no one is paying out the ass for Zelda just because they're dumb "nintendo fans."
>>
File: IMG_20160214_220811.jpg (117 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160214_220811.jpg
117 KB, 768x1024
Any telltale signs of a fake other than label comparison? This is a copy my friend gave me when he sold all his Snes stuff. He knew I liked it and money is nothing to him so he just let me have it.
>>
File: IMG_20160214_221053.jpg (172 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160214_221053.jpg
172 KB, 768x1024
>>2996530
Here's a better pic, I guess.
>>
>>2996530
>>2996536

The fakes usually are missing the red stripe on the top right and have a massive Nintendo Certified stamp.
>>
>>2996530
You should be able to tell the authenticity of the label by comparing it to another SNES label that's legit. Does it have the same sheen, cut, etc.
It's hard for anyone to do over internet pictures unless the counterfeit label itself is really egregiously bad.
If you're so concerned about the authenticity of your free game, though, just check the board.
So many collectfags on /vr/ that don't know shit about spotting a fake, it's seriously disturbing.
>>
>>2996526
Everyone who buys a genesis is going to want sonic games, and yet those are dirt cheap.

It's absolutely nintendo fanboys being retards and driving up the prices on themselves.
>>
>>2996545
true, but there's also way less demand for sega systems and sonic overall.
There's not some evil consortium of resellers that have made Zelda games cost what they cost.
They cost around 30 bucks because that's where supply overlaps with demand.
>>
File: 4horsemen.gif (72 KB, 328x183) Image search: [Google]
4horsemen.gif
72 KB, 328x183
I remember nintendo and nintendo power shilling the hell out of earthbound so much when I was younger it made me not want to play it. It also looked like ass compared to the other RPGs out at the time so I skipped it.
pic unrelated.
>>
>>2996550
>There's not some evil consortium of resellers that have made Zelda games cost what they cost.
They cost around 30 bucks because that's where supply overlaps with demand.

That's just another way of rephrasing the same thing. We're saying the exact same thing.

There isn't some reseller conspiracy. Resellers merely gravitate towards nintendo stuff because people are willing to pay exorbitant prices. ie, there are many nintendo purchasers who are shit-eating drones. Saying "the demand is simply higher" is just another way of saying this exact same thing.
>>
>>2996462
You could buy a flash cart for the price of EB.
>>
>>2996561
>I remember nintendo and nintendo power shilling the hell out of earthbound so much when I was younger it made me not want to play it.

Me too. I was actually the same way about a lot of games, generally the harder they were hyped the less I wanted to play them. NP hyped Dragon Warrior 1 pretty hard and I didn't touch it until after 3 was out.
>>
>>2996516
>It's expensive but not Panzer Dragoon Saga expensive

Bullshit. CIB PDSs go for ~$300. CIB EBs go for ~$500.
>>
>>2996571
PDS CIB is up to $400 now. Every sales for the past two months has been $400 or more, anyway.

You're right though that comparing loose to loose or CIB to CIB, PDS is cheaper than EB.
>>
>>2996562
Or, you know, there just fun games worth 30 bucks each and everyone realizes that?
Hell, I and I'd assume a lot of other people usually pay 60 for each Zelda game right when it comes out, something I don't often do for other new releases.
>>
>>2996462
No, no.
>>
>>2996517
what will i look for when i open it? I'm currently looking for my nintendo screwdriver. just wondering beforehand
>>
>>2996746
>hella
>>
>>2996745
A legit earthbound pcb.
If you can't use google to figure this one out I pity you.
>>
>>2996767
Hello to you too :)
>>
>>2996462
Huge earthbound fan here, it is really not worth the trouble of buying it. Resellers are shitty people, anyone willing to sell you a twenty year old video game for 200+ dollars because of the fact that a lot of people have really strong feelings toward it is probably dishonest.
I bought it on Wii U VC and finally beat it for the first time after legally owning it tonight, I'd recommend you do the same unless you don't have a wii u. In that case don't even feel bad about emulating it.
You could also hold on to the hope that they'll find a warehouse full of boxed copies of the game someday.
>>
>>2996990
>emulate it
>like a normal person
>i bought it
>its my favorite game
There are so many things wrong with your post
>>
>>2996568
You didn't get one free in the mail?
>>
Reproduction cartridges are pretty much worthless.

If you're not getting an original copy, its value as a collector's item to preserve, display and/or cherish is pretty much null. You're just getting a reproduction that anyone with the proper material can make.

If you just want to play the games and don't care about legality anyway, then there's emulators, flash cartridges, or services like the Virtual Console. Flash carts will let you play almost every game ever on the same cartridge rather than just one game.

I could understand maybe making a reproduction of something like Secret of Mana 2, with the box and manual, since it was never released here in the US and it could be nice to have in your collection with the artwork and everything. But just the cartridge of a game that was released in the US, unauthentic, when there's alternatives like emus and flash carts if you just want to play it? I don't see the point.
>>
>>2997045
>I could understand maybe making a reproduction of something like Secret of Mana 2, with the box and manual, since it was never released here in the US and it could be nice to have in your collection with the artwork and everything. But just the cartridge of a game that was released in the US, unauthentic, when there's alternatives like emus and flash carts if you just want to play it? I don't see the point.

This is literally the reason reproductions exist.

English translation patches on unreleased games. I actually have a soft spot for it, since a lot of the really good, interesting, or unique games didn't get released here.

My current repro carts:

>SNES
>Seiken Densetsu 3
>Firemen
>Bahamut Lagoon
>Tactics Ogre (better than PS1 version due to load times)
>Live a Live
>Clocktower
>Treasure of the Rudras

NES
>Sweet Home
>Final Fantasy 2
>Final Fantasy 3

>Genesis
>Megaman: The Wily Wars
>Alien Soldier

I actually find it to be really satisfying to collect these. They're all dirt cheap on Aliexpress, so you're not paying scalper prices. You're getting something that you probably haven't been exposed to, since a lot of games got english translations you know, in the last 5-10 years, and I predominately played the emulators you know, at least 10 years ago and more like 15 or so.

So yeah, I played SD3 on emulator back on the day, but I never had translation patches for Firemen, and Bahamut Lagoon I remember being spotty at best.

So you know, just my 2 cents. I like original hardware, and I like owning a cart. I don't currently have a flash cart, but like I said, the repros are cheap from Aliexpress.
>>
>>2997069

Yeah I guess I can understand with games that were never released here, just to add them to your collection. This especially made sense when flash carts weren't as advanced, and were harder to acquire, so reproductions were pretty much the only good way to play fan translated JP games on original hardware.

But when you start making reproductions of Earthbound, EVO, Hagane, Chrono Trigger, basically any game that's worth more than $50 and already exists in authentic form since they were originally released here, and flood the market with them, it just becomes stupid.

Then you get people selling the reproductions and claiming they're original copies, and it causes headaches that could all be avoided if everyone who doesn't care about legality or owning authentic collector's items just bought flash carts instead.

That's some good taste by the way.
>>
File: fakeearthbound.jpg (19 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
fakeearthbound.jpg
19 KB, 500x334
>spent 600 on this cart but it's okay because it's obviously a rare special edition prototype
>>
>>2996462
Are you a collector or do you just want to play on the original hardware?
>>
>>2997104
I mean, I think claims of selling repros as the legit copy are grossly exaggerated.

It occasionally happens on eBay, where a seller kind of hides the fact it's a repro in the body of the listing and it just says "Earthbound cart only" as the title.

It's rare, and you're completely covered. You're actually not allowed to sell Bootlegs or reproductions on eBay since it's against the policy. When I first got back into collecting SNES I bought my SD3 from eBay instead of the cheaper alternatives (because I didn't know better). I couldn't get it to boot for the life of me. I tried literally like 50 times and it just didn't work. I -instantly- got a full refund from the seller without even opening a casse. My brother popped it in and it worked first try later that day so I felt kind of bad, but you take a fucking risk selling repros on eBay.

It's against the policy, you're actually supposed to get a full refund, and to destroy the thing you bought if its fake. eBay doesn't really give a shit unless theres a problem, in which case the seller basically gets fucked over.

So unless you're distributing on craigslist or something similar, you're going to pretty much saturate your market quickly. Most guys I know myself included do open shit up if I go to buy something. I bring my gamebits and check so I don't get stuck paying you know, 60+ dollars on a brick I could've got from aliexpress for 5.

If a guy won't let you open the cart to see the boards, you definitely do not want to do business with them.
>>
>>2996520
>not wanting to buy $200+ cart
>repros on aliexpress are $24
>Y NOT SPEND $100 ON A FLASHCART
>>
>>2997119

I think a lot of people (casuals) don't know any better. Do you think the average guy who just wants to buy some old game knows about gamebits, how to identify a fake, etc.? They just buy it because they see reproductions, which aren't strictly advertised as such, costing a bit less than the original copies, so they think they're getting a good deal, and they won't ask for a refund as long as the game works. Then those clueless buyers eventually resell the game and that's when the headaches start.

It's a whole mess of dishonesty and ignorance. A bunch of ultra-rare Mega Drive games like Twinkle Tale, Eliminate Down, and Rockman World just got a batch of reproductions in Japan. They look like the originals, with the case and manual too, so I wouldn't be surprised if they start popping up on eBay being sold as authentic.

>>2997131

Are there really that many people who just want to play one game and wouldn't benefit from being able to play every other game they want on the system as well for a bit more money?
>>
>>2997185
I absolutely agree, the person who buy repros of officially released games are probably just misinformed, ignorant or new to the game.

It is possible that these people do try and resell in the future, but all you can do is be educated and do your due diligence when buying.

If he buys a little samson repro because he saw it on a top 10 list, and then tries to sell it for 600 bucks because he checked ebay, you absolutely need to be checking if its a repro, and if not, well that's just on you.

Due diligence is absolutely what you need to do. I said it earlier, you know, bring a gamebit, hell, bring an NES if he says he sold it, or one of those silly NES handhelds, make sure it works, etc.

Realistically you should be doing the same on eBay, especially with disc based games. You should realistically be playing through the entire game to verify that it is working correctly before the return period is over. I've gotten burned once, where I bought a game lot of Resident Evil, and the Claire disc freezes at the cutscene in the police station where you talk to the guy. Then theres just nothing you can do, because you're well past the time for a refund and you probably already gave positive because you tested it, booted it up, played for like 2 minutes and then shelved it.
>>
File: 1331157241888.jpg (29 KB, 180x200) Image search: [Google]
1331157241888.jpg
29 KB, 180x200
>>2997212

I had a copy of Breath of Fire 4 that froze at around the 20-hour point that I debated on selling when I was younger because I thought it would take a while before the buyer found out about it.

Thankfully my conscience got the better of me and I just ended up giving away the game for free when I sold my first PS1.
>>
get a dsp support ed. $100 and you can play tons of games. for the price of 3 or 4 repros and shipping you could have most of the library, hacks, translations and pirate games.
>>
If you would ever consider selling it, get the original cartridge. At the very least you can get back the money you spent, and if you wait a bit of time it'll probably appreciate in value. If you plan on keeping it, get a repro; spending $200 on something you can emulate for free is kind of pointless.
>>
>>2997119
>I think claims of selling repros as the legit copy are grossly exaggerated
They must be. I've sole hundreds of repros as originals and never had a complaint.
>>
>>2997212
>the person who buy repros of officially released games are probably just misinformed, ignorant or new to the game

Or maybe they want a fucking cart with the game inside for a low price? As long as it's exactly the same, where is the problem? What good is being elitist about hunks of plastic and printed circuit boards?

If they resell it as a R@RE L@@K authentic piece then they deserve anything that's coming to them. But

>>2997212
>A bunch of ultra-rare Mega Drive games like Twinkle Tale, Eliminate Down, and Rockman World just got a batch of reproductions in Japan. They look like the originals, with the case and manual too

As long as the build quality is superb and the price is fair, I would definitely get those.
>>
File: QyveYl3l.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
QyveYl3l.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
>>2996462
I'd save the money and buy a reproduction. If you just wanna play the game then the cart shouldn't matter. It's also pretty neat that earthbound uncut doesn't have any content removed from it that was removed in the original game.
>>
>>2996462

I only payed for the real deal because I'm a collector. Even at that, I only spent $125 three years ago. Paying over $200 for this game is insane. I'm eager for the bottom to fall out of the SNES market.

Even shit games on the SNES are over $20 now.
>>
>>2997607
Have no idea how my name was how.
>>
>>2997607
You could simply get the rom of that "uncut" version and play it on either a Super Everdrive or a SD2SNES. No need to pay for a repro and you can still play it on your console if you really want to. Just a suggestion.
>>
>>2996746
shit why is this so expensive?

probably because there isnt any competition by now?
>>
>>2997004
How is it dishonest to sell an object to the highest bidder?
>>
I ended up getting a boxed copy of Mother 2 w/ manual for SFC, it was only 20 bucks all together. Still cheaper than buying a reproduction / legit copy.
>>
>>2997069
The Genesis repros are so fucking cheap on aliexpress that it's difficult to not buy them. All the ones I've bought worked great, only complaint I've had is that the mass produced Zombies Ate My Neighbors is the PAL version so it runs fast on NTSC hardware.
>>
>buying repro carts

Why? To have a fake displayed on your shelf? If you wanna play the game, emulate it. If you wanna play the game on real hardware, get a flashcart (which is probably cheaper than a single copy of earthbound anyway).

>>2997639

Just get the cheaper one, the 190 dollar one isn't worth it.
>>
>>2997021
I was joking, I'm saying if he just wants to play it then just emulate it. If he loves the game and knows he wants a physical copy then I guess he should buy it.
>>
File: 1452496897033.jpg (27 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
1452496897033.jpg
27 KB, 235x235
>>2997131
>not wanting to buy $24+ repros
>roms on internet are free
>Y NOT SPEND $12 ON A REPRO

My point is this:
if you don't want to emulate and instead play on original hardware, but you are too cheap to buy legit games for the system but not repros, then you are probably the type of person who would buy more than one repo, and if that's the case you'll probably spend more on one-off boot-leg repros than a flashcart in the long run. $24 ain't that much, but neither is $200 if needing to play Earthgay on an actually SNES is a thing for you. Otherwise emulate. It's far cheaper.
>>
>>2997776
I play all the games I don't want to own on a flashcart, but if I really like one of the games and want a standalone copy for whatever purpose then I'll look for it.

Then, if legit copies are out of my league I would be fine with repros as long as they don't suck your blood and they do a competent job.

There's just something in extracting a cart out of a plastic case (talking Genesis here), read the manual if you want, insert it on its slot, watching the sticker and see the game boot as intended you know? Some people like it that way, others don't care. And if I want, I could gift that cart to a friend who couldn't get a flashcart and would really like that standalone game.

Let me reverse your own question: why in the world would you, owning a flashcart, look out for expensive legit copy of games? The answer might seem stupid (collecting certified vintage memorabilia) but it's just as stupid as people paying less to get the same stuff except not manufactured by the original producer line (I repeat, as long as they're made competently, in 100% working state, and won't damage the hardware in any way).
>>
File: 1452493910207.gif (378 KB, 500x402) Image search: [Google]
1452493910207.gif
378 KB, 500x402
>>2997812
>There's just something in extracting a cart out of a plastic case ...
I totally understand your sentiment here, and that's why I've collected a bunch of hardware over the years.

On one hand I feel clearly identified repros are perfectly fine. On the other I think unmarked repros occupy a moral gray area, the reason being that they are debatable forgeries. If things are competently done as you have specified, I'd feel more at ease. Problems occur though if the bootleg is sloppy and, say, the special anti-piracy programming that Earthbound is notorious for kicks in. I don't feel most bootleggers' first priority is QA (which is/was a huge deal in the history of Nintendo's success), but rather exploiting the high prices the second hand market's rarer games demand by manufacturing difficult to distinguish knock-offs and selling to (not all, but mostly) suckers.

Ultimately it comes down to that I don't want to own a repro unless I am well aware of what it is. As long as I know that, we're cool.

That's why flashcarts in my mind are ok. They don't pretend to be anything they're not, and you can play stuff on the native equipment (always better). Emulation is the same way. You know you aren't playing actual hardware and the have an idea of the unique problems associated with that.

I made a personal flash cart to develop games with because I want to play my programs on actual hardware. That being said, it's a Frankenstein SMW with the smallest EEPROM/ROM size offered on the SNES, so I can't put anything larger than my own games or 3 or 4 of the commercial games of the same size on it. I don't own a high end flashcart because emulation is fine for me 99% of the time. Still, for me, owning or building a nice flashcart does not preclude me from buying nice games because it does something that none of my other games can do: development.

By the way when I eventually finish one of my games, you bet your ass I'm going to print a booklet and make some box art.
>>
>>2997775
You better have been joking about Eb being your mostest favoritest game of all time as well.
>>
File: Mother 2 - Gyiyg Strikes Back.gif (15 KB, 256x223) Image search: [Google]
Mother 2 - Gyiyg Strikes Back.gif
15 KB, 256x223
>>2997646

Exact same here.

Mother 2 is the way to go. Unless for some reason you can't read hiragana, in which case step it up sempai.
>>
Here's an idea, get an SFC copy of Mother 2, get an EEPROM written at buyicnow and convert it to English.
>>
File: 1451545061091.png (158 KB, 545x746) Image search: [Google]
1451545061091.png
158 KB, 545x746
>>2998375
No, you fucking idiot I knew what i was typing, can you not understand simple English? As a matter of fact both Earthbound and Mother 3 tie as my all time favorite games. May I have a list of your acceptable games to say are your favorite.
>>
>>2996562
APOLOGIST DUMBFART DETECTED.
>>
>>2996746
Wow fuck you janitor I was just trying to help OP with some hella good hardware.

>>2996462
Hey OP I hope you saw this link before the stupid ass janitor deleted it because she felt triggered over her precious over priced game going down in value.

http://shop.krikzz.com/SD2SNES-Rev-F-SD2SNS.htm
>>
>>2999114
>im an angry child seeking hipster acceptance
Cool rant bro. Let me know when you're old enough to pick your own favorites and we can compare.
>>
File: 1385417155524.jpg (33 KB, 500x321) Image search: [Google]
1385417155524.jpg
33 KB, 500x321
>tfw japanese box with manual, all papers and cartridge costed me less than a third of the american cartridge only

I understand wanting the game in english, but Mother 2 mint completed with everything is cheap as fuck and it looks better because of cute snes packaging
>>
>>2999142

Advertising is against the rules. You can mention the product but linking to a shop directly just reeks of shilling, and opens the gate to people advertising websites/products in every thread.
>>
Wasn't earthbound like $70 a year ago?
>>
>>2999142
Shill
>>
>>2999139
K. Have fun never buying good NES and SNES games again because you're too much of a poorfag to spend 30 fucking dollars.
>>
>>2999204
That was more like 5 years ago.
>>
ALIEXPRESS DOES NOT TAKE Ebay
>>
>>2999214
Dude i switched to Súper Everdrive on 2014 and i am only left to buy 2 chip based games.
>>
File: 1451469512633.png (29 KB, 207x297) Image search: [Google]
1451469512633.png
29 KB, 207x297
>>2999198
Why do you believe it is my favorite for hipster cred? Earthbound is too mainstream for that. I'm going to assume that because this is only a reply and not a thread on /vr/ that your not shitposting but why do say that. If I wanted hipster cred I wouldn't pick something as well known as earthbound.
>>
>>2999202
>just reeks of shilling
Who gives a fuck? If that helps OP play the games he wants, why does it matter?
>>
File: 1455609837020371705174.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
1455609837020371705174.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
This is a bootleg, right?
>>
>>2999721
>not owning GAME

I mean, wow.
>>
>>2999721
>(GAME) cartridge

yes, a bootleg
>>
>>2996462
>>2996540
>fakers who wanna sell extremely overpriced pieces of plastic will intentionaly fuck up the label

ah yeah like i wouldn't simply make a perfect laser sticker copy for a $200 piece of plastic, what are 10 reprints until i get the color correct, so that i can then make 10 perfect prints.

if i was paranoid i would even accuse this post or the thread of being sent by a fake cart seller, so that ppl see his obv fake sticker ads priced $150 on his secondary account, and then don't give a second though when seeing the 1:1 sticker ads for repro cart passed as original and priced at $200

for anyone that wants to own the physical game, buying remotely, i would suggest to simply buy/make a repro, and if you don't want any visiting collector friends to joke about it, just put it in a mint case and print a perfect sticker for $10.
>>
>>2996485
I don't get it. I'm glad I bought the game for $50 at Gamestop ten years ago.
>>
>>2996462
if you got a 3ds play roms on that, defininitely dont spend 200 bucks on plastic
>>
Im looking to unload my CIB earthbound and have offers of $1000. Canadian mind you, but still. That's over 600USD. And it's not even in really good shape, the box at least.
>>
>>3000669
Do it man. For a grand I'd sell regardless.

You can just rebuy a cart only
>>
>>3000024
Making repros isnt that easy.

I considered making an entire NES and SNES library of repros a year or two ago. It's just not really worth the time it takes. Its not as simple as just soldering in a new EPROM for most games.
>>
>>3000686
It is that easy. Sounds like you need to read up and do more doing and less considering.
>>
>>2996530
You have a cart of Megaman2, who the fuck cares if this is a fake? Go play that if you're concerned about your integrity.
>>
>>3001110
It totally depends on how you do it.

Some games are a simple eprom program and swap, like going from a Batman Return of the Joker to a Mr. Gimmick.

Others can require various rewiring of the pcb, and it can be very specific.

You can also buy premade pcb's and eproms but the cost is pretty high as opposed to using donor carts.

You can also fuck up traces while taking off eproms if you aren't careful which requires more wiring

For your average guy it isn't worth it. I may still do it at some point, then maybe offload my collection to some scalper who does a take it all in one shot kind of thing.
>>
>>2999202
>>2999205
The only thing I shill for is high quality fun.
>>
>>3001381
If course it depends how you do it. You can make it as complicated as you want by using the wrong parts or breaking things. For extra hard mode smash everything with a hammer and glue it back together. If you do it right it's easy as fuck.
For the average guy here changing batteries in a gameboy is too technical so probably not worth it. If you have an IQ higher than double digits and don't have parkinsons it is.
>>
>>2996462
>supporting commercial piracy
>filling the pockets of reseller shitbags
>>
>>2999198
If he wanted hipster cred he would pick some obscure 3d jap game from the 90's that a total of four people from /vr/ would have heard about.
>>
>>3001704
Nope. All the hipsters need to know about the game for it to work.
>>
File: 1426860996882.gif (478 KB, 202x199) Image search: [Google]
1426860996882.gif
478 KB, 202x199
>check out legit earthbound prices
>mfw
>check out repro earthbound prices
>mfw

What the fuck is the pooooooooooint? Is there some webstore where I can buy a decent prized earthbound cart with box and manuals without any bullshit pricing? Why the fuck would I spend 200 dollaridoos on some stupid pirate cart if I could invest that money on the real deal and get some real value?
Fucking bullshit, seriously. You'd think the whole point of reproduction cartridges is to get games that would otherwise be impossible or too expensive to obtain legitimately, but then there's this stupid shit pricing for no fucking reason. I could literally go to my university and ask the dudes working on the plastic machinery to manufacture me reproduction carts and I bet it would come much cheaper.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>3002301
http://www.retrostage.net/
http://www.infiniteneslives.com/

You're more than welcome to make your own repros. It's not exactly difficult if you have half a brain, but theres a reason they are expenisve.

Assuming you don't want to use a donor cart:
>new board - 9
>new shell - 6
>lockout chip - 4
>various chips and capacitors and resistors and shit - couple bucks
>label - probably a couple bucks each

It's not super labor intensive, but like any business its risk/reward. Combine the fact that not a whole lot of people are making repros, and not a whole lot want repros and thats how you end up with 50+ dollar reproductions.

It's cheaper with donors if you get compatible ones and you just write some eproms and solder them in, but you have to spend the time sourcing donor carts.

So you can complain, or you can do something about it. Flashcart is always the best answer for playing these things on a real console.

If you could get costs down to 25 bucks a donor I think you'd get a lot of people interested, but it's still really niche. You'll also probably end up on Pat and Ian's podcast as a scumbag.
>>
>>2996462
JUST EMULATE FAGGOT
Or buy a flashcart
>>
>>3002452
But muh respect for the developers integrity by only playing the game how it was meant to be played.
>>
>>3002345
>theres a reason they are expenisve
>ebay prices for common shit
You never did say it was a good reason. And holy fuck man. Have you never bought label stock in your life or something? A label is pennies.
>>
Fuck, I'm not regular to the board, so forgive me if this isn't acceptable.
What's the best way to sell without an eBay buyer just ripping you off?

The game and manual/guide should all be at my parents house maybe even the box.
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.