[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chrono Trigger vs. Chrono Cross
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: crono-serge.jpg (42 KB, 320x225) Image search: [Google]
crono-serge.jpg
42 KB, 320x225
Let's settle this matter once and for all: which was the better Chrono game, and why?

http://poal.me/t566xf
>>
come on...
>>
Trigger.
Akira Toriayama.
>>
>>2996438
Trigger, not even an argument.
>>
who cares, they're both alright
>>
Nope.

Nope, nope, nope, hiding this thread, I know where this is going.
>>
>>2996438
Music: Cross
Everything else: Trigger
>>
>>2996480
spot on dude! fucking snes clones rpgs
>>
Chrono Trigger. Chrono Cross has a terrible art style and setting. My eyes literally hurt looking at the pre-rendered backgrounds in most cases.
>>
Chross had the best music and battle system over generic trigger's battle system.

Trigger had better art direction from akira that set up the action perfectly and had better characters than cross.

Cross had more feels for me that made me invest longer in the story than trigger.
>leaving a crying Kid while that music played in the background
;_;
>>
>>2996492
Pretty much.
>>
>>2996438
>no captcha
Top kek
>>
>>2996689
>he thinks captchas prevent poll-rigging
cute
>>
>>2996492
Only true answer
>>
File: magus.jpg (42 KB, 325x425) Image search: [Google]
magus.jpg
42 KB, 325x425
>>2996438
Trigger, because it had this badass in it.
>>
File: Guile.jpg (47 KB, 310x650) Image search: [Google]
Guile.jpg
47 KB, 310x650
>>2996974
Also in Cross.
>>
>>2996993
Not canon, also, even if it were, Cross shit all over his character (like everyone else from Trigger that re-appeared in Cross).
>>
>>2997010
Definitely canon. Guile was initially meant to be Magus even before the new canon ending in the DS version of CT.
>>
>>2997016
keyword:
>was
>>
>>2997017
And then they changed their minds about it in the DS version of CT. It's called a retcon. Guile is now an amnesiac alternate universe Magus presumably sent 18 - 20 years into the future by Schala.
>>
>>2997031
I know about the extended ending but that could just be a reference to Radical Dreamers rather than Chrono Cross
>>
>>2996438
Trigga, my nigga.
>>
>>2996438
Trigger is simple and super easy but to this day it's probably the best example of an entry level RPG that even veterans of the genre can enjoy. It's an insanely polished package wrapped up in a fun lighthearted Dragon Ball package.

Cross is a way more ambitious game that ended up trying to do too many things at once and feels unfinished as a result, especially regarding the writing and characters. The third act is rushed and too exposition-y, the backstory to the game is a bloated mess that's not worth reading into, the late game plot twists feel unsatisfying because of the pacing issues, the characterization suffered because it was juggling too many at once and some subplots like the fairy sidequest come off as really hamfisted.
The game is brilliant as far as its presentation goes though, and I do like its battle system and some of its characters a lot. You just have to dig through a lot more shit to get to its good parts compared to Trigger.
>>
Cross probably has the stupidest story I've ever experienced in a videogame.
>>
>>2996438

I didn't discover Chrono Trigger until it was re-released for PS1 as part of the Chronicles collection. Frankly, I found the game to be highly overrated. It did nonetheless make me curious about Chrono Cross, which I enjoyed a lot more.
>>
Really not sure why this comparison is made all the time. Having Chrono in the title doesn't mean they're related.
>>
>>2996438
why dont you just enjoy both on their own?
>>
>>2999459
The appearance of Crono, Marle, Lucca, Frog's descendant, Magus/Guile, Lavos and Schala are just coincidences.
>>
>>2999464
Why can't you not be an indecisive little git?
>>
>>2999459
The entire third act of the game is extremely tied to Trigger and the second act has a lot of references to it.
>>
I can't into disk 2 of Cross... Stupid me, stupid emulator
>>
Trigger, I feel rage everytime I remember cross story.
>>
Cross is the only right answer
>star stealing girl
>dat true ending
>the battle system
>>
>>3000253
Battle system was clunky shit and even more spammy than CT because you could use attack like 6 times per character. Also I'd rather the techs rely on your mp gauge than working like items.
>>
>>3000432
>waah it's not different enough, change it
>waah it's too different now, change it back
I actually like the battle system but it mostly doesn't get fully realized since most of the post game content is locked to new game + like the ozzy, flea, slash fight and by the time you're there you'll be so overpowered they won't even put up a challenge. So you'll finish the game with this bunch of traps, summons and lvl 7 elements but nowhere to actually use them. At least beating the sphinx boss was cool.
>>
They're both good.
>>
>>2996438
Music: Cross, but it's very close.
Graphics: Equal. Both are near the best on their systems, and I like both styles.
Characters: Trigger.
Gameplay: Good by JRPG standards is still bad. Equal.
Story: Both are bad, but Trigger at least doesn't take itself so seriously.
Load times: (most important category) Trigger.

So Trigger wins.
>>
>>2996452
>Akira Toriayama.
>Toriayama

toriAYYYama
>>
>>3000446
>summons
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>3000474
I know right? You need to an entire field of the same color and it barely does more damage than a common spell.
>>
>>3000432
The problem with Cross's battle system is that it inherently favors stronger attackers since in order to even use spells you'll be doing like 4-5 physical attacks each turn. Serge and Glenn outpace the rest of the cast really badly because of that.

It's a shame they decided to do the weird 40 characters gimmick instead of having like 10-15 tops, since they could have spent more time balancing the system to benefit different styles and character types. Instead a majority of the party isn't worth touching.
>>
>>3000495
Pretty much. You'll prefer buffing hit% and then spamming 3-attack than doing anything else. At least Trigger's combat had a bit more variety.
>>
>>3000529
Not in either principle or practice did Trigger have more variety than Cross. Both games heavily favour physical attacks over anything, but at least Cross encourages you to cap every characters' turn with a magic attack. And Cross had three different physical attacks to choose from so it's got more variety right there.
>>
>>3000543
>And Cross had three different physical attacks to choose from
Where you'll only want to use the strongest one.

CT has more variety because characters can learn more unique spells and the game has more combination techs than a CC team. Also if you spam attack with characters like Marle or Lucca in CT you were a fucking retard.
>>
>>3000495

this. combat in both games is relatively simple, but CC's feels way more bland. and it doesnt help that the "magic" is basically "attack with green/red/blue/orange/yellow lights"
>>
File: 62-trex23.jpg (65 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
62-trex23.jpg
65 KB, 640x480
>>3000564
>"magic" is basically "attack with green/red/blue/orange/yellow lights"

lmao what
>>
>>2996438
>Trigger won

Well done, /vr/. You're still good guys after all.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.