[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Haven't played my VC copy of original Zelda in a while
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
>Haven't played my VC copy of original Zelda in a while
>Pick it back up
>Check my item screen and see I'm not as far along as I thought
>Oh well, I guess it's this dungeon next (go to Dungeon #3 that's marked on the English manual map
>Fucking die right as I get in front of the dungeon

Turns out I had already completed that one too.

Zelda is hard, guys.
>>
>>2995461
You inspired me to play this on my phone so I can curse in public
>>
File: dead_link.png (98 KB, 1350x571) Image search: [Google]
dead_link.png
98 KB, 1350x571
>>2995697
It's definitely a game best suited for short sittings.
>>
>>2995461
Been playing through Link's Awakening over the past couple of days. I realize now why I loved it so much as a kid. It literally holds your hand most of the way... except for the fucking trading quest...
>>
>>2995752
Thought you were talking about Link to the Past for a second.

Still have my own Game Boy cartridge. Not my favorite Zelda, but it wasn't because of hand-holding. I honestly Remember LttP directing you more, but it's been a while since I played either of them.
>>
>>2995461
>hard
It is one of the easiest games on the nintendo. There arent even lives to be concerned about
>>
>>2995765
LttP had it too but Sequelitis made that point pretty ubiquitous. In LA you have a phone you can call that tells you what to do. And the checkpointing is so frequent that there's little point in struggling to survive.
>>
File: P4140004.jpg (50 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
P4140004.jpg
50 KB, 400x300
>>2995768
No, but the death count is always there, taunting you.
>>
>>2995779
>The phone
The precursor to hint stones. Blegh. At least it's optional, I guess.

I was gonna make a thread regarding Egoraptor's Zelda video. I always did feel annoyed knowing I had [insert location here] to go to next in LttP, when what I really wanted to do was poke around Kakariko village for hours. It definitely did start the downward trend. But Zelda 1 is understandably frustrating. Surely there's an ideal balance.
>>
>>2995461
>Zelda is hard, guys.
Not really. Tho 2nd quest is a disaster without a guide/
>>
>>2995797
I think guiding the player is kind of vital if you want your game to sell well. It's just finding the right balance where it's not too handholdy.

Some people enjoy the sense of free exploration, but not all. For me, I don't have time for trial and error.
>>
>>2995942
The phone booth and stones are great, I have no idea why people complain.

Dont fucking use them, they're unintrusive.
>>
>>2995461
>Zelda is hard, guys.

you sound like a cuck
>>
>>2995797
You need to bear in mind that LA was for portable on-the-go Zelda-ing.

The phone boothe hints and the checkpoints were just to make the game more palatable for the behaviour of mobile gamers, who would generally only be playing in shorts bursts.
>>
>>2996497
>not sitting beneath a pantry lightbulb for hours on end playing gameboy and having it plugged into the wall because batteries died in three seconds and it used fifty of them at a time which was difficult and expensive to keep dealing with.
>>
>>2996573
>Not sitting in a dark living room playing Link's Awakening to the glow of your Light Boy™ because backlit screens weren't a thing yet
It was the life.
>>
I also played through Zelda 1 on VC a couple of months ago, for the first time going in for the long haul instead of just playing through the first dungeon and putting it away.

For an NES game the world feels surprisingly large and for a while amusing to explore, but towards the latter half the gameplay amounts to little outside of burning every bush and bombing all over walls hoping you'll by chance discover something outside of the few cryptic hints you are given. Trial and error searching isn't exactly my cup of tea, especially when it drags on for so long until you are given the torch that doesn't require you to leave the screen between each user.

Dungeons were mostly well designed, although I started to get bitter in the final one with its overly complex route and every room filled to the brim with those asshole wizards.

It stands an impressive piece of many clever ideas executed as well as they could with the technical resources available at the time. There's no denying it's a good game with lots of thought put into every screen.

Is it actually fun? Not really. ALttP came out not many years later and improved upon just about every aspect of the original concepts. While I'd argue it's worth playing through Zelda 1 to see how it all started, it's probably more of a historical curiosity than entertainment for most of us.
>>
>>2996803
Pretty spot-on, from what I've experienced. Guess I don't lose sleep if I don't get around to finishing it.
>>
>>2996803
I think the real reason I always return to LoZ over some of the other games in the series is actually because it's a bit more combat oriented and you can tackle the entire game in basically any order you want.
It has a lot more to offer for repeat playthroughs than the later games since the series got progressively more linear and puzzle heavy under Aonuma's direction.
>>
>>2995461
You should try that game's sequel. If you think that game is hard, the next one is nightmare incarnate.
>>
>>2995697
Here

This game is mega hard on a phone. I want to kill myself.

Finished the fist dungeon... with 18 deaths.
>>
>>2998684
Does the emulator you use have an option to vibrate when touching a button
After I discovered that I got way more comfortable with touch controls, since their problem is generally the lack of feedback.
>>
>>2998757
Yes but it's still garbage.

Thumb constantly strays too far from the "dpad" leaving me stationary whike the hoards attack. Also slight taps for correcting my direction are so difficult it's infuriating.

I really need a blutooth controller
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-16-00-12-55.png (282 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-16-00-12-55.png
282 KB, 1080x1920
>that unstoppable feel
Magic, sword im coming for your ass
>>
>>2999690
phone screenshots are an eyesore, stop posting them
>>
>>2999691
Be a faggot elsewhere
>>
>>2999690
>playing Zelda on a phone
>with a touch pad

way to ruin the greatest experiences in gaming you fucking faglord. people like you should be marched into gas ovens
>>
>>2999826
>he quips with a tense asshole as he peers over his mocha chai latte
>>
>>2999826
>>2999924
That's 21st Century for ya.

Actually it's not the most comfortable thing on DS, either. It feels weird to control Link with the analog stick, and my thumb hurts contorting to use the D-pad.
>>
>>3000110
You're having a fake experience on a fake device, just saying.
>>
>>3000118
If you're talking about the cell phone shit, I'm not that anon. Unless you mean even the DS is ultimately a fake experience. (I would argue it's more legit than playing on a cell phone. I might as well be playing Link's Awakening).
>>
>>2999690
Ten years ago I had no way of knowing the future would look this bleak

>>2999826
>greatest experiences in gaming
Zelda isn't exactly gaming's ambrosia
>>
>>3000110
My left hand starts hurting so bad after a while on that D-pad, and this is on an XL unit. Definitely not good placement for serious play over longer periods

I keep dying at the most simple jumps in Mario because it's painful to precisely readjust direction. Maybe it's better to just not play 2D games on the 3DS if you don't want carpal tunnel syndrome
>>
>>3000468
I mean, I suppose you could just use the analog, it's just that for games like this it just feels... weird.
>>
>>2999690
That emulator looks like shit
Why dont you use NES.emu or something else that doesn't dump ads on you
>>
>>3000814
>no ads
Sorry, no. I'm looking for the authentic phone experience.
>>
>>3000856
Thirty years from now, this won't be sarcasm.
>>
>>2995461
>16:9
>>
>>3000872
Don't ask me. Maybe it's cropped. All I did was steal the image.
>>
File: m9liz63AmZ1r0ze5bo1_500.jpg (69 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
m9liz63AmZ1r0ze5bo1_500.jpg
69 KB, 500x375
>>2995782
>not naming him Link
>>
File: 1417238324191.png (14 KB, 200x184) Image search: [Google]
1417238324191.png
14 KB, 200x184
>>3002232
>actually naming him Link
>>
File: 20160207_174923.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160207_174923.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1536
>>2998662
I've recently played zelda2 and I have to say, it's not as hard as people make it out to be. It's also very rewarding. I've completed it once and now I can't stop replaying it over and over again.
The most important thing is developing strategies for every enemy. There's lots of hidden stuff, but if you talk to every villager they give you very useful hints (unlike castlevania 2 for example). After you get the life spell the game becomes even easier. You just have to remember that blue bots respawn and every six of them you kill you get a magic potion. You basically have infinite magic if you're patient enough.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to talk about my experience with this game and didn't want to start a new thread.
>>
>>2995461
stuck on level 6 right now. about to just skip to 7.
>>
>>2995797
if you didn't have a guide, you would autismo burn every bush and bomb every wall in the game to git gud. i love the hell out of this game but it has its flaws

my mom had to call the nintendo hotline a few times for this game and it wasn't cheap, son.
>>
>>3004930
Dem fuckin wizards. Im stuck too
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.