[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is the worst game controller
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 15
File: atari 5200.jpg (6 KB, 221x228) Image search: [Google]
atari 5200.jpg
6 KB, 221x228
what is the worst game controller
>>
>>2995321
Your dad
>>
Also, the Dreamcast controller
>>
File: octoman.jpg (227 KB, 1376x2036) Image search: [Google]
octoman.jpg
227 KB, 1376x2036
>>2995321
N64 controller, unless you're an Octopoid of course.
>>
>>2995368
Octopoid here, and that's still a stupid controller
>>
File: Katana Controller.jpg (30 KB, 638x414) Image search: [Google]
Katana Controller.jpg
30 KB, 638x414
>>2995321
>>
>>2995368
What makes it stupid? You don't need to have a hand on every handle. It just gives it options.
I really hope you aren't one of the idiots that held onto the outer left handle and tried extending your fingers to the z button and analog stick.
>>
>>2995514
Can't use both D-Pad/L button and stick/Z button at the same time, rendering one of the prongs useless.

Every other 3D controller lets you access everything without having to swap your hand.
>>
>>2995514
Oh god, I'm imaging someone doing this for years and it's so sad.
>>
>>2995368
I was lucky enough to never have an N64 but I did have Nintendo Power and even at the time couldn't believe they made such an awkward controller. It really just needed 2 sticks. Then the Gamecube came along and they stuck a second stick on, but it was a completely different little yellow nub that was also awkward to use. I thought it couldn't get any worse after that, but then the Wii came along. What fun, playing 3D games with what is basically an NES controller! What is going on over at Nintendo?

>>2995448
What the shit is this for? As bad as it is, it still is kinda cool.
>>
File: glove2.jpg (56 KB, 1331x709) Image search: [Google]
glove2.jpg
56 KB, 1331x709
>>2995321
Powerglove sucked
>>
>>2995628
It was bundled with Onimusha 3
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 425x425) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 425x425
>>2995531
In theory there were 3 ways to hold the controller

In practice 95% of games used one grip, 5% used the second, practically none used the third. Total waste.

On another note: Jaguar controller vindicated by history, pic related
>>
>>2995701
the 360 chatpad was based but all the ones that come out for xbone are fucking dogshit
>>
>>2995628
I loved the yellow nub on the Gamecube.
I wish all analog sticks for all controllers for all systems used it.
I think I will buy a bunch on ebay and mod my Playstation to have them.
>>
>>2995368
>>2995391
>>2995628
>younglings who can't into nintendo controllers
You can get USB N64/GC controllers to use with your emulators if you want to actually experience how they work.
>>
>>2995514
when I first played one in toys r us I held it that way
>>
File: Virtual_Boy_controller.jpg (39 KB, 850x690) Image search: [Google]
Virtual_Boy_controller.jpg
39 KB, 850x690
>>2995321
Virtual Boy controller was shitty.
>>
>>2995321
The one you posted is probably THE worst default controller.

Runners-up would include the Wii U controller and countless third party controllers if you count non-default stuff.
>>
Sega dreamcast, try to play king of fighters with that shit.
>>
File: N64-Controller-in-Hand.jpg (2 MB, 2715x2240) Image search: [Google]
N64-Controller-in-Hand.jpg
2 MB, 2715x2240
>>2995368
It was pretty comfy.
>>
>>2996173
>2 d-pads
Did any game utilize both well?
>>
>>2996210
Every, since it really is just the same d-pad, just on the right.
>>
File: Namco_Negcon_centred.jpg (256 KB, 2256x1396) Image search: [Google]
Namco_Negcon_centred.jpg
256 KB, 2256x1396
>>
The Wii controller, because you have to use it as a remote 90% of the time
>>
>>2996186
Oh I did, brother. Goddamn Rugal.
>>
>>2996292
Considering that was a controller designed for racing games, I'd say it carried out its purpose well actually.
>>
>>2995531
>Can't use both D-Pad/L button and stick/Z button at the same time
pretty sure that was an option for most FPS games
>>
File: uh, this.jpg (61 KB, 319x326) Image search: [Google]
uh, this.jpg
61 KB, 319x326
Worst controller accessories: The Speedboard (a piece of fucking plastic for your NES controller), and the Atari "Stick Station" (a slab of fucking wood for your Atari 2600 controller).
Worst CUNTroller: The AlphaGrip ergonomic keyboard.... Good luck with that.
>>
>>2996409
still had to move your hand to access the buttons on the right side holding it that way
>>
>>2996210

Teleroboxer, each d-pad controls each hand
>>
>>2995321
Given how it would always break, I'll say the 5200 controller is a contender.

But then I remember the Rollin' Rocker. I want to say the Powerglove, as it's finicky as shit, but it's kind of a cheating, as the Powerglove, by design, can only reliably work with games specifically programmed to handle it's input, becoming an unreliable piece of shit with anything besides the two games that properly supported it.

That Terminator joystick where the stick is a T-800 skull is a pretty hilarious example of a bad controller.

>>2995368
The only bad thing with the N64 controller is the stick, which was abrasive to your thumb, and had no mechanical grease applied to it (outside of Japan anyway) so the lifespan of the stick was dramatically decreased.
A gently divoted rubber pad with a slightly grainy surface to replaced the ridged plastic top, along with a spot of grease to stop the stick from destroying itself, and it would have been great.
A second stick would provide more options, but wasn't strictly necessary.
>>
>>2995635
The Powerglove sucked because 99.9% of NES games were not designed for it and the glove itself was not designed for 99.9% of NES games.

It's a bit like playing Resident Evil 4 with the Guitar Hero controller, except the Powerglove was foolishly marketed as a general purpose input device.

>>2995701
I think you probably could save on bulk by reducing it down to twelve larger buttons like a phone keypad and then have you type like on a cellphone. Though it wouldn't be as fast I suppose.

>>2996173
It looks comfy though.
>>
>>2996412
>The Speedboard (a piece of fucking plastic for your NES controller)
It seems retarded, but say if you lost your thumbs in a tragic pig accident, if you clamp it down to a table surface, I figure you could learn to restore your vidya playing capabilities to at least 80% by playing with just your fingers, since a pig ate your thumbs (or maybe you never had thumbs at all because of a birth defect).
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 217x232) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 217x232
Although several other horrible things are already posted that I've never seen before, this one is obligatory.
>>
>>2997291
>never seen
Why bag on things you've never seen before let alone used?
>>
>>2995628
Basically like this:

N64: What is 3D going to be?
GC: Can we make a controller where every button can be identified by touch alone?
Wii: we can't compete directly with Sony so we'll make something completely different

Can't say that their ideas were always good in practice though. Wii in particular was a clusterfuck.
>>
>>2996173
Of all the terrible controllers you could post, you go instead and post perhaps one of the best controllers ever made? You can say plenty about the ergonomic nightmare that is the headset, but the controller is easily one of the best there is. Great grip, super quality d-pad, no complaints on the buttons.
>>
>>2997291
While it's a step down from the Saturn's ones, it hardly is the "worst controller".
>>
>>2996198
No, the rightmost side was not confy at all. Buttons were all mushy and sucked hard.
>>
>>2997496
Never felt mushy to me.
>>
File: Intellivision-Controller.jpg (2 MB, 2620x2500) Image search: [Google]
Intellivision-Controller.jpg
2 MB, 2620x2500
The intelivision controller blows. I wish I could use a jaguar controller for it.... I remember someone making some sort of adapter but never finished it.
>>
>>2997543
This. I recently cleaned up and repaired all of my old N64 controllers. They're pretty great.

I say this every time it comes up, but the analog positioning on the middle grip is awesome. The way your hand wraps around it allows your thumb to be uniquely positioned directly over the stick, instead of coming in over the side like on most controllers. It just makes the motions feel more natural.

I don't understand the "three arms" comment. You're not supposed to use all three grips at once, nor do you need to.
>>
When will the "N64 controllers are super dumb guise" meme die? If small children in the mid 90s can figure out how to hold it, I think you can too. And once you get your brain back in gear, you'll realize that it's actually more comfortable than the NES/SNES pads because it's not a flat pad.
>>
>>2999172
Small children in the mid 90's were far more intelligent than than younglings that infest this board now. You're really expecting too much from these kids.
>>
>>2999172
It was the best controller for 3D games for the couple of months that it was the only controller for 3D games

RIP three-prongs-and-one-stick layout, may you never return
>>
>>2999172

It only felt comfortable because N64 devs resigned themselves to the fact that a third of the controller would always be unusable.
>>
>>2999216
>for the couple of months that it was the only controller for 3D games
>implying the dual shock was better.
>>
>>3000021
Lmao, what? There's nothing wrong at all with the dual shock. At least in comparison to the N64 controller.
>>
>>2999824
Uh Jet Force Gemini had weapon shortcuts on the dpad just like modern games and it worked just fine.
>>
>>3000030
The Sony stick feels loose and lacks octo-guide thingies. I know the N64 sticks wore out but they were better generally. The GC stick nailed it IMO.
>>
File: colecojoystick.jpg (29 KB, 350x285) Image search: [Google]
colecojoystick.jpg
29 KB, 350x285
Just posting this because it hasn't been mentioned, but it got the job done, can't complain too much. Then again, it's been a while since I picked one up.
>>
>>3000035
Who the fuck even needs octagonal guides on a controller
This is an analog stick, not a glorified dpad
>>
>>3000035
Those octagonal ridges or whatever are nice but completely unnecessary.
>>
>>2999172
I never -loved- the thing, but it's not even close to as bad as some people suggest.

>>2999206
>younglings
Stop saying that.

>>3000035
The PS sticks never felt loose to me, in fact, the N64 stick had way more trouble with that, since it broke itself over time.

I never saw the need for the ridges. Overall I think the PS stick feels better, they wouldn't grind your thumb raw.
>>
>>2999206
So does that mean there's literal twelve year olds on this board? I sure hope not. They should stay on /v/.
>>
>>
File: nuclear_fireball.jpg (61 KB, 400x280) Image search: [Google]
nuclear_fireball.jpg
61 KB, 400x280
>>2995628
>shitting on the gamecube controller

Shit was rock solid
>>
>>2996176
I really feel like everyone who attacks the WiiU controller hasn't really played it or maybe just tried it for five minutes.

I don't particulary like it how bulky it is, but the off-tv play, top-tier gyro, touch controls, wii sensor bar inside and tv button are all pretty good, and any game from Bayonetta to Xenoblade feels natural to play with.
>>
>>2995321
This shit, marketed as a general purpose controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-UZv3AS-E

Would have been ok for rythm games that didn't exist back then, but try to play sonic or mortal kombat with that.
>>
>>3001147
Third party games translated to that controller horribly.
If the game was.developed for the.controller then.it was great.
If it wasn't it was N64 tier.
>>
>>2997291
The Dpad is accurate at least, if not at all comfortable. I actually find the analogue stick pretty good, it's a lot tighter than most but I find that actually quite appealing, though the triggers do feel a bit crap.
>>
>>2996173
You're a fucking idiot. VB's controller was one of the few things it had going for it.
>>
>>2997552
>flying fuckernauts or astrobastards
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.