[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CHOOSE!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 22
File: image.png (5 KB, 306x152) Image search: [Google]
image.png
5 KB, 306x152
CHOOSE!
>>
>>2993903
World
>>
>>2993905
>>
Left to the Star of David. However, SMW is pretty good, I just like the leaf and some of the stages more.
>>
>>2993903
World

Not even being contrarian, World was my childhood preference and I was 8 and 11 when those came out so I was right dead center in the target market for both.
>>
>>2993903
To me it's a choice between 3's technical flaws (from pushing the NES to the limit) or World being super easy but often unfair (especially things crushing you). A perfect Mario level can be played without trial and error deaths, in my opinion.

I've been thinking a lot about this stuff as I play Mario Maker.
>>
>>2993903
Yoshi's Island.
>>
>>2993903
>>
3 has better design, gameplay, physics, powerup system and difficulty. World has a better overworld, secrets, the stages are longer, and the advantage of being on the SNES with a better gamepad. The music is a tie. So for me 3 is better. Also being in the end of the lifetime of the NES made it look more polished than a launch title like SMW which was rushed in the end of the development
>>
>>2993926
>but often unfair (especially things crushing you). A perfect Mario level can be played without trial and error deaths, in my opinion.

I actually like the trial-and-error, mastering patterns element. For example so many people complain about Special World Tubular in SMW when the P-balloon part taks just some relatively simple "shmup dodging" to accomplish. Took me just a few tries and a few minutes when I ran SMW recently for the first time in about 15 years.
>>
World has better level design.

3 has more levels. World has more exits.

World's color palette and sprites make me really sad.

3 has far better power-ups.

The GBA version of 3 is God Tier.
>>
3. World is far too easy and short. I can crush that game in under half an hour without breaking a sweat. I've never finished 3. I always get stuck at the same castle in the dark area of bowser's world.
>>
3 was always my favorite. World was kind of boring in how easy it got. As soon as you get a power-up you're basically invincible unless you suck really badly. The levels weren't that hard, mostly the challenge was figuring out where to go. In 3 the levels were fairly linear but more challenging to complete, especially without Yoshi. The Boot was more fun than Yoshi, and blue Yoshi breaks the game, I'm sorry.

Once I used a Gameshark on the Gameboy version of 3 which let you use any powerup at anytime you want, including the cape powerup. It's so cool playing through with the cape or hammer bros always on.
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 500x463) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 500x463
>>2993937
>God Tier
>Game resets all mushroom houses if you die
>No point in getting 1UPs
>Inb4 "U haven't played the game"
>Played it through twice

I like it, though, but for some reason I never liked SMW.
>>
>>2993947
>The Boot was more fun than Yoshi
All one level of it
>blue Yoshi breaks the game, I'm sorry.
You don't have to go back to Star World to get it. I appreciated the easy Blue Yoshi cheesing when I was a kid but it was also very easy to ignore it when I just recently did a run.
>>
>>2993935
Ok, but no one can possibly enjoy some RNG Kamek spawning on top of you.
>>
>>2993928
This, because it put moviebob on suicide watch.
>>
3. I honestly think that World is the weakest of the retro Super Mario Bros. games.
>>
>>2993961
Blue yoshi + yellow shell = everything dies.
Any yoshi + rainbow shell = everything dies twice.

World was just too easy. It was fun, but didn't have the longevity.

Also, yea they needed more boot levels. I also loved the tanooki suit that let you turn into a statue, the hammer bro suit, and the frog suit for pretty much all of world3. It made water levels far less annoying.
>>
I actually ended up completely stuck at the beginning of World 7 when I played the GBA port of 3. Though I did manage to 100% World's GBA port, though.

Anyone knows what that says about me?
>>
3 has giant land. nuff said.
>>
>>2993961
>All one level of it
Which makes you appreciate it more. It's the main attraction of that level and the fact that you can't take it out of the level with you means that you remember it.

Yoshis get thrown at you like they're fucking candy and getting hit while on Yoshi is penalty-free since you can jump right back on if you catch up. Fuck Yoshi.
>>
>>2993986
Also, pipeland. Enjoy a world where the most dangerous enemy is the fking clock.
>>
World. I liked the secret exits, the koopa kids were more interesting to fight, the castle stages were more interesting to go through, more gameplay mechanics (yoshi, cape) better enemies, better music, better graphics.

Tell me why you think sm3 is better then smw again?
>>
Yoshi's Island is better than both and probably the best game ever, but out of these I prefer 3. More challenging and varied.
>>
>>2994024
I loved Yoshi's Island growing up. I can't stand it now though. The sound of baby mario crying is fucking awful.
>>
>>2994032
just don't get hit and you won't have to hear it :^)
>>
>>2994014
You forgot to mention the superior control scheme, physics and inertia with Mario, that make World a whole lot more FUN to play than 3.
>>
2/USA

TOAD UP IN THIS MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>2993937

>World has better level design

fly2win

>inb4 P-Wing
>>
>>2994079
Toad is a really weird way to spell Peach.
>>
>>2994079
I loved and still love 2 and HATED 3 because it took out Toad and real, floaty-jump Luigi.
>>
>>2994084
'Peach' is a weird way to spell Toadstool.
>>
>>2994084
>playing on Easymodo
For shame, anon.
>>
It's honestly just weird how the boot from 3 was only on 5-3, people remember it as if they were littered throughout the game
>>
>>2993903
The boot feels more like something the devs put for fun, it's a nice extra added to make the level stand out, and it definitely worked out since it makes you wish you got the option to replay levels.

Yoshi is something that was planned at one point to be in mario 1 so i guess they wanted him to appear constantly on his debut, and it works because he blends pretty good with the gameplay.

And let's not forget the baby yoshi, which can eat any enemy and make the water levels a breeze, they clearly put a lot of though into yoshi and that may be the reason we didn't got the amount of power ups that 3 had.

Having said all that, yoshi is better but the boot is more than excellent for what it was, a gimmick to make the level more interesting.
>>
>>2993912

Same age and same opinion.

Smb was my first game. Played it and then 2' then 3 and world.

64 is the best one, but world is probably my favorite. They all are 10/10 and so close IMO.
>>
No.
>>
File: SMWproto.jpg (44 KB, 500x409) Image search: [Google]
SMWproto.jpg
44 KB, 500x409
3 was my first Super Mario game (not counting arcade Mario Bros.), after that I played 1 and 2(USA), up until that point, 3 was my favorite, but then I played World, and it has been my favorite ever since.

To be honest, both 3 and World come pretty close. In World you can "fly over levels", but you can miss on hidden exits because of that. On 3 you can entirely skip levels (not even talking about the Cloud, just skip levels on the map that are not mandatory, e.g. levels 3 and 4 on world 1), and you can't revisit levels you've already beaten.
Also, some levels on 3 can be completed using the raccoon flight (not even talking about P-wing) because they're very short. For example that one level on world 5 (sky) that has spinning platforms, you can just run and fly at the beginning of the level, and reach the goal before you lose the ability to fly.

Anyway, it's absurd talking about which one is harder and what not, they're both pretty great games and if you want a real challenge just try to complete the game with tiny mario (on SMW you can add the challenge of not hitting any switch palace).

I choose SMW mainly because of how good Mario controls, being able to throw shells and objects upwards, and the amount of secrets and secret worlds, but 3 is also fantastic, both are really good so either one you choose it's OK.
>>
Super Mario Bros 3 sucks a fucking cock.
This game is shit, plain and simple.

Oh, let's all get the warp whistle and warp to "big world"! Too bad big world isn't fucking fun, like the rest of this game. The entire thing is designed to anger and frustrate you. Oh, you get Kuribo's shoe on one fucking level! Wow, pardon me while I make the universal motion for a handjob. Kuribo's shoe fucking sucked. What did it do, exactly? It let you JUMP ON THINGS, something you were able to do the entire fucking game. Oh, also you looked gay.

There are some interesting power-ups in the game, such as Tanookie Mario, Hammer Mario, and Frog Mario. But guess what? You can get them on like 2 levels total, and if you fuck up and get hit ONCE, you lose them, FOREVER. Wow, that's fun! I love games that demand I play perfectly or have no fun, because I'm a fucking jap who strives for absolute perfection in gaming otherwise I kill myself.

Mario 3 may have been interesting or fun at one time, but the game is a worthless piece of shit in today's day and age. It's horribly flawed and full of punch-in-the-dick moments, much more so than it has moments that are just fun to play.
>>
>>2994668

mamma mia! spaghetti!
>>
>>2993935
Tubular was my nemesis when I was a kid. But yeah I eventually figured out the sequence for killing the Charging Chucks, avoiding the balls and getting the balloons.

I don't think there's any harm in the odd level designed for this style of play. It felt so good finally finishing it.
>>
SMB3 everything with tight SMW controls.
>>
>>2993981
I honestly think 3 gets a little too hard by the end. Especially world 8 - those tank levels. The hand bit, etc.
>>
>>2994032
>The sound of baby mario crying is fucking awful.
I think maybe they took a leaf out of evolution's book there. The reason a (real) baby's cry sounds so grating is to make you address whatever is making it upset.

It sure as hell works in the game too.
>>
>>2993934
In your opinion.
>>
>>2994689
In whose opinion else?
>>
>>2994668
This
>>
3, cause I'm a mustached plumber fucking pummeled the sun
I'll fuck yo mama in the butthole and go out for a fun run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2jpeFlfX60
>>
>>2994032
If it wasn't so loud, you'd end up leaving the baby behind. The devs made it like that on purpose.
>>
>>2993903
world
>>
>>2994729
word
>>
>>2993903
Personal favorite is World. My bro always preferred SMB3 though. In all fairness, I like all the Mario sidescrollers and subgames like Yoshi, Wario and DK. Honorable mention to Super Mario Land 1 and 2 cause they are still so much fun.
>>
>>2993903
Bros flying and jumping mechanics are a lot better and each island has it down theme and different enemies, so it has more personality. If you count the SMAS version, the graphics look better, even if they are simpler, the colors are still a lot prettier.
>>
File: double facepalm.gif (2 MB, 440x330) Image search: [Google]
double facepalm.gif
2 MB, 440x330
>>2994668
>tfw some people actually believe this
>>
>>2993903
Love the art/music in World, it's the comfiest game of all time, and I love all the secret levels, but 3's physics level design are so great I could (and do) replay it over and over.

I can't choose.
>>
> 1) One of the greatest games of all time that anyone of any age can pick up and love immediately. So much fun stuff to do, so many cool things along the way and some of the best music of all time. Easy to play yet tough to master, a timeless classic.

> 2) Childish game about Mario on a fucking dinosaur, unlike the happy music in SMB3 there is something childish about the happy music here (to be fair the castle music is good). Game broken in at least 10 different ways. Can literally fly over half the levels. Graphics look worse than any SMB game on the SNES (I mean subjectively, not technologically tards). Forced to do things/find things that you wouldn't find without a manual/guide and you could be stuck for ages trying to do them. Partly a collectathon in a 2D game, something only DKC2 ever got right. Weird spikes in difficulty especially near the end, inbalanced. Miyamoto himself admitted it was rushed.
>>
>>2993932
>>2994653
Glad to see some 64 fans here, given how much the game has gotten shit on lately. 3, World, and 64 are all in a tight contest for my favorite Mario game.
>>
I don't even try to choose which one is superior anymore, they're both fantastic games in their own way. Just like the rest of the Mario platformers--barring NSMB--from SMB1 to YI to 64 to Galaxy, they're all great and timeless. It's the best video game franchise.
>>
File: miyaurl.jpg (116 KB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
miyaurl.jpg
116 KB, 500x337
>>2994860
>Miyamoto himself admitted it was rushed.

Nah, Miyamoto just said that he wanted to add more things, but that's the case with basically all of his games, he's never satisfied because he's a perfectionist. Remember he wanted to include Yoshi since SMB1.

Super Mario World is Shiggy's favorite Mario game, I doubt he'd like it as much if he considered the game rushed.
>>
>>2993903
World. I could never enjoy 3, I think it's fueled by pure nostalgia in many people's minds.
>>
spend my entire childhood not knowing all stars games were nes games.

this because I was a brazillian sms owners and everyone around me had sms and didnt had money (or father gave me some) to buy game magazines

discovered it for the first time while watching some super mario bros nes tas, I asked to myself, why this game has the wrong pallete?

I always throught 3 was better and even thougt that it was released after.

Its that is a totally strange shit brix situation.

Another ultra strange shit brix situation

Last year, I was looking the site who sample and while there decided to go to the beatles page, I gone there and discovered fucking 85 songs of the the beatles band are fucking covers. Even if it was just fucking one, i would totally shit brix, and it was 85 fucking covers.
http://www.whosampled.com/The-Beatles/covers/
>>
Only very recently I discovered it's possible to jump while you are in the air with the boot, similar to Donkey Kong 2. Since then it became my favorite.
>>
>>2994903
>Super Mario World is Shiggy's favorite Mario game

Source? I'd like this to be true and use the source against hat3rs of World.
>>
>>2994032
>The sound of baby mario crying is fucking awful.

I hope you will never reproduce because I can tell that you'd be a horrible parent.
>>
>>2995001

He said that in 2010 for the 25th anniversary of the series.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/09/super-mario-world-is-miyamotos-favorite-mario-game/

Then again, in 2012, he said that his favorite is SMB 2/USA. So who knows, but one thing is for sure, he does like SMW a lot.

I think the whole "SMW is rushed" comes from ROM hackers who found some unused stuff on the game, and also the fact SMW was a launch title, but I don't think Miyamoto ever said that the game was rushed or "unfinished" himself. If he considers a game to be unfinished, he just wouldn't release it, no matter if it's needed for a launch title.

There is a famous quote by him that's something like "A rushed game is always going to be a rushed game, a delayed game will eventually become a good game".

At any rate, SMW is not unfinished at all, in fact it's very robust. The fact it had some ideas left out like that weird cage with the birds don't make the game unfinished.
>>
>>2995020

thanks

>Then again, in 2012, he said that his favorite is SMB 2/USA

Oh wow. As someone who actually holds World and 2US above 3 as favorites, Shiggy gets even more based.
>>
File: Untitled.png (22 KB, 331x492) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
22 KB, 331x492
W-well...
>>
File: mario.gif (110 KB, 300x224) Image search: [Google]
mario.gif
110 KB, 300x224
>>2995069
Nice-a Meme!
>>
>>2993975
Story please. Is that the faggot who wrote the smb3 book?
>>

I owned World and grew up with it. But I prefer 3 for what charm it has.
>>
>>2995164

Also, going further. Does anyone think the naming of them to be odd? I mean 3 has you go to multiple kingdoms (I know it's also a play). World takes place somewhere separate to all of that.
>>
>>2993903

World. But possibly just nostalgia, I didn't play 3 till way later.
>>
Is there a romhack of 3 to let you revisit levels?
>>
>>2995076
Yes, and to elaborate Blobbo is one of those sad, dense fucks that honestly thought Mario was a brooklynite from that dumb cartoon. When YI was released, blob in his own words said he felt betrayed by an old friend, and was legitimately triggered for years.

If this is too hard for you to believe (and I don't blame you), have a reading from his book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydxMzKmB49U
>>
File: MarioBros.gif (3 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
MarioBros.gif
3 KB, 256x224
Mario Bros. Arcade > 2U > World > 3 > Land 2 > Land > 1 > 2J
>>
>>2995264
>one of those sad, dense fucks that honestly thought Mario was a brooklynite from that dumb cartoon.

I'm 36 and my immediate reaction to the Super Show was (in less profane terms) 'fuck this shit, that buffoon isn't Mario. Captain Lou Albano can fuck back off to wrestling.' I hated that show and it as as much 'canon' to me as Captain N, which I also hated.
>>
3, even if its not a "world" its still really damn long and offers a fair amount of challenge, the item management is fun, finding secrets is fun and way harder/more rewarding than world and the leaf isn't as overpowered as the cape, also the level design is so much better and offers a good amount of variety
>>
>>2995284
>finding secrets is more rewarding in 3 than World
Shit doesn't even have multiple exits for stages. Everything 3 did, World improved on it tenfold. Also you can just not exploit the cape/Yoshi in stages, only a few make using them necessary. Also you failed to mention that World's bosses shit all over the bosses from 3.
>>
>>2994668
I agree with the part about certain items not being available more often (the shoe was cool, mind you)
But i disagree with the flute thing, those items are hidden and the game is pretty damn long and fun without them, World however gives you the cape quite early, a power up that allows you to skip almost every single level in the game and can kill enemies the flower can't, and this without mentioning the star road

Some people also praise world for its one big world (unlike 3 which is a bunch of different maps separated from each other) but in my opinion that only makes the game look smaller
>>
The main fault of SMB3 is that it's too long for a game with no saves/passwords. It really should've some sort of feature along those lines. I remember needing to keep the system on two nights in a row as a kid in order to complete the whole thing.

And yeah, you can use the secret warp whistles to get to level 8 quickly, but I'm strictly talking about playing through the game with normal progression.
>>
>>2995312
Just play the all stars version.
>>
>>2995317
I'll make sure to tell my 6 year old self to wait for the remake several years after the fact once I pick up the time machine from the parking garage
>>
>>2995302
It has multiple rotes you can follow which is a lot better, most of world's secret paths were pretty poorly hidden aside from a few ghost houses

Top secret area on world is also pretty awful, it gives you an infinite supply of items which can sometimes break the game, at least 3's flutes only allowed you to skip levels, but without an inventory full of items and extra lives you would easily get your ass kicked by the harder worlds

>Also you failed to mention that World's bosses shit all over the bosses from 3.
To be honest i remember having a harder time with 3's bosses, even with the variety in world i could kill them in seconds, hell even bowser was a lot easier than in 3
>>
>>2995312
I think the whistles were supposed to be a primitive save feature. Well, more of a resume feature...
>>
>>2995330
Too bad you will have an empty inventory, trying to beat world 4 with no items is suffering
>>
>>2995327
No one said anything about your childhood. We are talking which game is better, and you made a whole post complaining that 3 is too long and should have some sort of save feature. They added that in the SNES release so your complaint is minor.
>>
From this thread, you can see that apparently the only real saving grace of 3 is difficulty.

>Mario
>difficulty
Just go play another platformer if you want to be challenged.
>>
File: LUIGI_REAL.png (102 KB, 233x223) Image search: [Google]
LUIGI_REAL.png
102 KB, 233x223
>>2995276

>'fuck this shit, that buffoon isn't Mario. Captain Lou Albano can fuck back off to wrestling.'

You have to admit that Danny Wells made for a pretty good Luigi.
>>
>>2995302
>Also you failed to mention that World's bosses shit all over the bosses from 3.

I prefer World strongly to 3 and even I have to admit the bosses in World were a weak point. Every single one of them was a breeze, especially the Reznors.

The best Mario bosses were in 2US .
>>
>>2995339
That's not SMB3 though. That's a remake. It's like citing improvements made in REmake when bringing up criticism of the original RE1.
>>
>>2995276
>>2995348

Also adding to that, I'd argue that Lou Albano would have made for a good Super Mario if he just cut his hair.
>>
>>2995348
Better than John Leguizamo, I guess.
>>
File: dino.jpg (4 KB, 99x119) Image search: [Google]
dino.jpg
4 KB, 99x119
>>2995349
Please don't bully the cute reznors.
>>
>>2995345
A good platformer is a good platformer regardless of demographics or IPs, as far as 2D Mario goes 3 throws a lot of shit at you, just like USA it uses repetition and easy first levels to make you grow cocky and tired, them it fucks you over with traps and tricky jumps

Lost levels is like that but on steroids, i swear there are moments in that game where you had to do pixel perfect jumps
>>
>>2995276
I'm 36 in a few days lol. I remember seeing the Mario cartoon for the first time (with Lou Albano, etc). I wasn't even aware it was a game - I just thought it was a really weird cartoon with even weirder sounds.
>>
File: 654129_G.jpg (113 KB, 431x280) Image search: [Google]
654129_G.jpg
113 KB, 431x280
>>2995356
Definitely better than John Leguizamo's Luigi.
>>
>>2995349
World may not have hard bosses but it does have a lot of variety in bosses. You had the giant boo, reznors, five different types of koopa kids, and of course the greatest Bowser fight of all time. That is where it excels over SMB3.
>>
>>2995375
>and of course the greatest Bowser fight of all time
>of all time
Kek
>>
>>2995375
>five different types of Koopa Kids

Don't you mean three? There are the ones that are on a platform, the ones that climb walls and the ones that are in pipes.

The most unique of them is Ludwig because he actually seems like he's not using any particular gimmick. He's straight fighting you by breathing fire, jumping in the air, and rolling at you in his shell.

So four then.
>>
File: clowncar.png (35 KB, 147x199) Image search: [Google]
clowncar.png
35 KB, 147x199
>>2995382
What bowser battle did you like more?
>>
File: aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg (31 KB, 419x261) Image search: [Google]
aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg
31 KB, 419x261
>>2993903
3 had more variety in terms of settings and gameplay.
World is pretty much 3 with larger levels and better integrated mechanics.
The smaller levels in 3 make it more fun to play with 2 players than World.
They both are fantastic games.
But if I really had to choose, and it couldn't be both, it'd prolly be 3.
>>
>>2995375
>the greatest Bowser fight of all time
We're not talking about Yoshi's Island.
>>
>>2995402
overrated
>>
The SNES was my first system and it came with Super Mario World, so that's where my heart is. I've played other Mario games but they just don't give me the same feel.
>>
>>2993903
World
>>
>>2995639
Word
>>
http://poal.me/ulb05p

It happened.
>>
>>2995679
>world won
as expected
>>
>>2994913
Some of the comments on this board just fucking amaze me with their stupidity. Playing the nostalgia card when World was released LITERALLY ONE YEAR after 3 in America and two years in Japan, when both games are over 20 years old! Mind boggling.
>>
>>2993903
3 is harder, but World feels more polished and has more content and better ideas. So, SMW.
>>
>>2996026
>Trying to run 3 without flutes
Good luck, faggot.

At least I can beat world and only lose a solid chunk of my 99 lives.
>>
>>2996008
And yet, most who say they like 3 better are ones who played it first. You're being silly.
>>
>>2996061

I finished 3 with over 60 lives. No flutes.

Neither game is hard if you're good at Mario games, stop this absurd "this game is better because it's harder" argument. Difficulty doesn't necessarily equal being better.

Also I find the Special levels on World harder than those on 3, personally.
>>
File: RaphaelTheRavensCastle1.png (5 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
RaphaelTheRavensCastle1.png
5 KB, 256x224
Neither. Nintendo perfected platforming with Yoshi's Island.
>>
>>2996087
>this is what Yoshifags actually believe

I'll give you the bosses and extra stages, but everything else about that game sucked.
>>
>>2993903
thr33333333333333333333333333

no contest. I think it wins in every regard. They are both very enjoyable games, but I don't prefer anything about World.
>>
>>2993903
Easily World. That maybe due to childhood nostalgia though.
>>
>>2993935
>Tubular
My problem with tubular is that the p-balloon is a very rare power up, and it's a challenging level, so you're essentially being tested on a skill that you don't have much practice with and will not use much after. It could have been a level where you're cape Mario have to fly in a specific way or something more like that. Instead it kinda feels like a waste of a Special World level to me. That said you can totally cheese it with a blue Yoshi though, so it's all cool.
>>
>>2993903
You should have made a poll OP.

Both are incredible platformers.

But Super Mario World is by far the superior game.

The controls on Mario alone make it so much more fucking fun and intuitive to play.
>>
>>2996093
Saying everything else about Yoshi's Island sucked is a bit strong.

The thing is, by the end of the 16-Bit era, the market was fucking saturated with shit platformers using the Mario-stomp-on-enimies-heads-style.

It would have been really easy for Nintendo to fart out Super Mario Bros.5 and count the cash (especially considering how much boost a title like that would have been, in the face of new consoles like SONY's PlayStation. )

Nintendo at least tried to breathe new life intona stagnant genre.

And makes no bones about it, Yoshi's Island is fucking God-Tier software.

But anyway, World is better 3.
>>
>>2996062
"Most" people who say they like 3 first day they played it first? How do you know that? There's many people in this thread alone saying they played World first and have nostalgia for it.

My problem with the nostalgia card that's being played here is that it's a fucking dirtbag mentality. "They don't REALLY like 3 better. If they were in their right mind they'd have MY opinion and like World better, so clearly their thinking is impaired." You have to be really narcissistic to think like this.
>>
>>2995361
>Lost levels is like that but on steroids, i swear there are moments in that game where you had to do pixel perfect jumps

If you play as Mario. The game felt like it was made to be played as Luigi. Sure, technically it's possible to clear it as Mario, but god why would you want to?

It felt like a romhack of the first one, and I hate romhacks.
>Let's just put invisible blocks above pits and other bullshit instead of creating an actual challenge

"Artificial difficulty" gets thrown around a lot, but creating obstacles in which the only way to even know they exist is by getting killed by them is bullshit and bad game design.
>>
World, no contest. If you want a challenge beat the game without capes and Yoshi.
>>
>>2998117
Alternatively, if you want a challenge speedrun it. Then even with the cape and Yoshi you have to do some pretty skillful tricks to save time.
>>
>>2998113
>It felt like a romhack of the first one, and I hate romhacks.
>>Let's just put invisible blocks above pits and other bullshit instead of creating an actual challenge
Lol I totally know what you mean. Even when I was a kid in the 90s, Lost Levels felt kind of stale and un-Mario-like.

The challenges felt cheap and lacked "subtlety".
>>
>>2993903
Mario 1. Smw is for autists.
>>
>>2998154
>Mario is for autists
Fixed for ya, champ.
>>
I like Mario 2, best level designs of the 2D games.
>>
Super Mario World was one of my childhood games, so I'd have to pick World if not purely out of nostalgia for the game. But even playing it now, Super Mario World is a really fun game. Plus I love the music and graphic style.
>>
>>2998083
Or maybe this whole thread is really obvious that people are just arguing through sheer nostalgia and no one has any real reasoning. You have to be REALLY fucking stupid to not get that.
>>
>>2998261
Arguing both sides are running on nostalgia is just as reductive and stupid as arguing only one side is. Might as well just delete this whole damn board because according to your logic nobody is allowed to have any opinion on an old game - it's all just nostalgia, after all.

Do you really think you're making a smart post here, that you're contributing to this board? What a worthless, clueless poster.
>>
>>2998292
Maybe you should actually read before you start posting more of your "thoughts"
>>
3 wins, this isn't even a fair comparison.
>>
>>2998178
>Fixed for ya, champ.

No, not correct. Sonic is for autists. Mario is for children.

source: I grew up playing Sonic games on the Megadrive and I'm an autist, while my sister has a Super Nintendo and the only game their children (and their friends) play is Super Mario World and All Stars.
>>
>>2998296
You first.
>>
>>2998304
>he thinks Sonic is the only thing to attract autists
How naive you are, friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54RqI1x0NyY
>>
>>2998323
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zBTF4INW5g
>>
>>2998329
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A
>>
>>2998334
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPanRC__Oa8&t=10m
>>
>>2998378
Interesting romhack. I liked the music from Link's Awakening on the map but that level with all the fog sums up what's wrong with romhacks. That doesn't look fun to play at all.
>>
>>2998378
Goshi
>>
>>2994864
64 has been getting shit? wtf?
>>
>>2998404
It's aged pretty poorly, and overrated by nostalgiafags.
>>
>>2998474

>implying Super Mario 64 isn't a mathematical miracle

do you even 0.5x A press, bro?
>>
>>2994101
because it was so kewl
>>
>>2998483
>2016
>rational number presses
Nigga I got 200 stars by pressing in multiples of e.
>>
>>2998396
>gooshi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Co408pyEM
>>
Out of those two, I'd choose SMB3 (The Super Mario All-Stars version). I was never really into Super Mario World for some reason.
>>
>>
>>2999509
You think you can post this b8 and get away with it?
>>
Mario 1 is the best. 2 is okay. 3 is meh. world sucks. 64 is okay, but weird controls and a bit boring.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwFALMf7CNw

Still the best Mario song of all time.
>>
>>3000454
I loved hitting pause and just listening to the bass line and drum,
>>
>>
Smw, I haven't taken the time to beat 3 yet.
>>
File: Super Mario Bros 3.jpg (201 KB, 900x563) Image search: [Google]
Super Mario Bros 3.jpg
201 KB, 900x563
>>2993903
Which game aged the best? Super Mario World, because SMB 3 has some damn short levels, and SMW's crisp graphics still look good.

Which game is more exciting? Super Mario Bros. 3 is an explosive blockbuster title with daunting airships, giant monsters and evil Mario-chasing suns. SMW is kinda lame.

Which game is more innovative? Super Mario Bros. 3 because it did more to push gaming forward as a whole. Although SMW isn't far behind because it gave us Yoshi.

It's extremely close between both games, but my vote goes for Super Mario Bros. 3. I played it first and I'm nostalgic for it.
>>
>>3000485
Ah, I wondered why I was so familiar with the bassline I could hum every note. I'd forgotten you could do that.
>>
>>3000454
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lzFw2wuUehs
>>
>>2993903
SMB3 was such a huge step forward for video games. By comparison, SMW was really just a refinement of a lot of gameplay concepts that had been introduced in #3. That being said, I love both games, but I think SMB3 has better replay (although that might just be nostalgia) and SMW is generally the more polished game, so it's probably a better introduction for someone who hasn't played much retro mario.
>>
>>3000631
Boo levels in SMW are better than any stage thematically from SMB3.
>>
>>3000631
*Not actual gameplay footage
>>
>>3000720
>>3000631

Joking aside, imagine they made a Mario game with a 3D engine that generated vector-based visuals like this?

Not like Paper Mario or something, more like a tweaked Wind Waker engine that brought all these cool illustrations from the manuals, etc, to life.
>>
File: mariobros7800.png (11 KB, 640x446) Image search: [Google]
mariobros7800.png
11 KB, 640x446
>>2993903
Mario Bros. is GOAT because it's the only retro one to feature good multiplayer. Fuck Super's turn-taking bullshit.
>>
>>3000761
>Mario Bros.

Friendship ruining asshole-game.

I love it
>>
File: autoscrolling underwater levels.png (139 KB, 1349x334) Image search: [Google]
autoscrolling underwater levels.png
139 KB, 1349x334
World.
>>
>>3001420
2hard4u
>>
>you will never play another 2D Mario platformer
Why nintendo keeps making awful linear 3D platformers instead of a SMB4 or SMW2?
>>
>>3001459
Because they like money.
>>
>>3000761
Yeah, like I have fucking friends my age who are gonna play a Mario game with me.
>>
>>2993903
World, more nostalgia.
>>
>>3001420
Yeah Mario 3 was a cunt. I finished it once. One All Stars (with the save feature obviously). Towards the end it's too hard to even be fun.
>>
>>2994668

delicious bait

>fucking casuals get good
>>
>>3002394
SMB3 gives you a ridiculous number of 1ups. And there are even levels where you can endlessly farm 1ups. If you can't warpless 1cc SMB3 you are a failure as a gamer.
>>
I prefer world but accept 3 as an equally valid choice.
>>
File: SuperMarioBros3MiniMaps.png (53 KB, 990x1702) Image search: [Google]
SuperMarioBros3MiniMaps.png
53 KB, 990x1702
>>3004181

>Lvl 1-1
you can get unlimited 1-ups
>Lvl 1-2
you can unlimited 1-ups
>Lvl 1-3
you can get at least two 1-ups, restarting makes them unlimited
>Lvl 1-4
Whistle - Easy to warp
>lvl 1-Fortress
Whistle - Easy to warp

So, in not even 10 Minutes you got 99 Lives and are in any level you want, a safety Toad-House is also in the equation.

If you are half experienced lvl 8 should be no problem at all;
>>2995334

What is this even?! Seriously, if you are not below the age of 10 and call yourself a quote on quote 'gamer', then Mario games should all be easy as shit.

The charm in mario games is to make your own challenges, speed running, restrictions, etc...

Try beating SMW/SMB 3 as small for instance, totally different games

>>2993903
I thought the question is Karibu-shoe vs Yoshi, I'd have to go with yoshi; shoe only can jump on spikes where Yoshi has different types, abilities, tounge and double jump which allows much more flexibility
>>
3 is better overall
>>
>>3006612

I prefer the overalls on SMW.
Why are they black in SMB3?
>>
>>3006085

Yeah I don't get how people are saying they've never beaten 3. I beat that game when I was 8, just like all of the Mario games. None of them are really "hard".
>>
>>3004181
>>3006085
>the game is easy if you deliberately grind for 1ups
"ok"
>>
>>3006784
Pretty much, it makes the fortress shortcut pointless, gives you infinite retries at any level. Levels in mario 3 are very short to begin with.
>>
>>3006804
ANY game that lets you repeat levels or has a level where you can get more than 1 life becomes easy if you do that, lol.
>"DKC2 Lost World is easy because you can just keep replaying Pirate Panic to get more lives!"
>>
>>3006808
Mario 3 doesn't, though. Once you clear a level it's cleared for good unless you game over, in which case you have to redo everything. It's kind of a compromise between the save system in later games and arcade marathon style design.
>>
>>3006808
But that's sort of what the poster was implying, if you want to make things interesting you have to self impose a challenge like not farming for lives, not getting a game over or speedrunning.
>>
>>3006814
It doesn't allow you to repeat levels, but it does have several levels where you can get multiple 1UPs.
>>3006816
...What? Not farming for lives is just playing the game normally. Is not grinding to level 99 in every RPG also a self-imposed challenge?
>>
>>3006823
Depends on what you consider farming, I think repeatedly jumping on infinite respawning goombas in world 1-2 pretty short and painless. That's just playing the game normally for me.
>>
>>3006630
This is actually one of my biggest complaints about SMB3 in general. All the black everywhere, it's not as pleasantly full-color as World or even 2US before it. Kind of like a visual step-aside from te rest of the series.
>>
>>3006829
I mean, it's actually kind of fun even.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VsLVefGEIs
>>
But yes even without farming the game is stupidly easy until you get to World 8 and the auto scroller fest.
>>
>>3006829
I don't get it. Seeing a green mushroom and going "hey, cool, I'll pick that up" is entirely different from going out of your way to get as many 1UPs as possible. It doesn't make sense to intentionally make the game easier and then complain that it's not challenging enough. You can't say a game is easy if you're incapable of completing it without grinding.
>>
>>3006840
I just remembered it doesn't matter anyway because levels in world 8 are all fortress levels and they stay beaten even if you game over. If you're going for a clear that's the only world you should worry about.
>>
>>3006840
Compared to what people do in JRPGs it's barely grinding at all. You can get max lives in 1-2 in a few minutes with very little effort. It's also extremely obvious how to do it. It feels like you're wasting the opportunity if you don't collect them.

This is why Vs. Super Mario Bros is the best Mario game, because it removes all the farming opportunities.
>>
>>3006862
Of course it's grinding, you're wasting time doing something that is not required to complete the game. You're willingly mitigating the game's challenge instead of powering through it by skill alone.
>>
>>3006870
Well, you realize if you lose all lives you'll be redoing the whole world over and waste even more time?
>>
>ohlookitsthisthreadagain.smc

To me, SMW has the nostalgia value since I played it when I was little, my first vidya ever. I only got to play SMB3 later on, on a borrowed All-Stars. At the time I even thought it was some newer game kek. At that time SMB3 seemed much more interesting to me, I was already familiar with SMW and there were many weird things about SMB3 which made it way fascinating. Since I never owned All-Stars, I only got that taste of it when I borrowed it.

A few years ago, I finally bought my own all-stars cartridge off ebay for like 10€. I played the shit out of SMB3. With time the novelty has worn off, and I've come to find SMW a more well-rounded game. Instead of the suits which are awesome but frustratingly rare (I WANTED TO KEEP THROWING HAMMERS REEEEEE) there's Yoshi which is pretty based. Level design and controls also seem more polished than with SMB3, and the overworld with its secrets and secret exits I like better than the SMB3 overworld.

I'd have to say that at first SMB3 draws you in more, but in the long run SMW offers better gameplay.
>>
>>3006872
If you lose all your lives that means you're still not good enough at the game. By that logic, why should I "waste time" trying to 1CC R-Type if I can just credit feed? I guess beating Contra without continuing is also easy since you can just use the Konami code.
>>
File: 1411061556633.jpg (42 KB, 330x315) Image search: [Google]
1411061556633.jpg
42 KB, 330x315
>>3006881
>1CC R-Type
Oh you just had to be a shmup faggot, didn't you?
Bitch nigger, play the game however you want. It's just a children's toy.
>>
>>2998474
How do you figure it aged poorly?

Graphics are bad but serviceable. The camera isn't a problem the vast majority of the time.

And Mario's physics/movement/moveset feel fucking phenomenal compared to any 3D iteration since.
>>
>>3006881
Arcade games come from a culture where only 1CCing is accepted as a legitimate clear. Continues are just there to get extra money from incompetent people. This is obviously not the case with console games. Many console games even give you a limited number of continues and let you earn more continues, strongly suggesting you are supposed to use them.
>>
>>3006890
Nice assumption. Put your meme reaction pics away you little shit, I've 1CC'd maybe 4 or 5 shmups in my life and R-Type is not one of them, it was just an example. I'm not saying you need to play games the right way, or that there even is a right way. The point is: when you reach W1-2, or the World 7 fortress, or any of the other levels that have 1UP grinding spots, you're given two options: you can either willingly make the game easier by spending a few minutes maxing your life counter, OR you can progress normally; if YOU make the game easy by forgoing actual skill in favor of grinding, it's YOUR fault that the game doesn't offer enough of a challenge, not the developer's. And if you want to play it that way, of course that's fine and you don't need anyone's validation. But it's hypocritical to do that and then complain about the game's difficulty.
>>
>>3006910
>it's YOUR fault that the game doesn't offer enough of a challenge, not the developer's
It's entirely the developer's fault. Nintendo deliberately included those grinding spots to make the game easier. It's not like it was an accident, because Vs. Super Mario Bros. proved they can make a Mario game without them.
>>
Just do a no-miss, 1 Life Clear challenge. Gee, that was hard, eh, guys?
>>
>>3006929
To make the game easier for people who can't beat the game without grinding, i.e. people like you. The Konami code was also intentional, so? Is Contra easy?
>>
>>3006946
NES Contra is the easiest game in the series. You're a pretty weak troll.
>>
>>3006949
>NES Contra is the easiest game in the series.
See, answering a simple question isn't that hard, is it?
>You're a pretty weak troll.
Perhaps it looks that way because I'm not trolling. But it's okay, man. Maybe one day even you will be able to beat SMB3 without grinding. Just believe in yourself!
>>
File: 11111.jpg (24 KB, 236x272) Image search: [Google]
11111.jpg
24 KB, 236x272
>>3006965
Epic, anon, simply epic. You're such a fuck up you can't even troll properly. Finish yourself.
>>
Are you asking about boot versus horse?
>>
>>3006965
Isn't it annoying when people think you're trolling and you're really just speaking from experience but they can only listen through ignorance?
>>
>>2994082
I'm not saying their inclusion of the cape was a good thing, because it did trivialize some levels.

That said, I think this is a case where it's easy to ignore the overpowered option. I can run through stages without feeling tempted to use the cape, so I get to enjoy the stage/world design.
>>
World

I rarely replay 3. It's not bad, I just don't like it as much
>>
File: 1453436707528.gif (4 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1453436707528.gif
4 MB, 480x270
>>3002394
where did this meme begin that any of the mario games were hard aside from 100%ing yoshi's and sunshine?
>>
>>2993903
Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.