[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which are the games with the most beautiful pixel art?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: part.gif (141 KB, 266x267) Image search: [Google]
part.gif
141 KB, 266x267
Which are the games with the most beautiful pixel art?
>>
You already posted it.
>>
>>2993881
Yeah I don't think for a second that I could top Metal Slug, although I'm sure there's solid competition out there if you look close enough.

Alien Soldier had some great art in it though.
>>
File: earthworm-jim-2-03.png (69 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
earthworm-jim-2-03.png
69 KB, 640x480
>>2993881
Never going to win any prizes but I always liked the sprite art and animation of Earthworm Jim.
>>
>>2993881
Modern retro indie games in HD.
>>
>>2993881
Metal Slug
Art of Fighting 3
King of Fighters '99
Garou Mark of the Wolves
every Street Fighter Alpha
every Street Fighter III
>>
>>2993881
large scale pixel art bores me, I consider your pic a bad example of pixel art. It's just a regular old drawing with some minor adjustments
>>
>>2994738
Small sprites take real talent.
>>2965834
>>
>>2994758
Somebody post that Solid Snake sprite from the game boy metal gear, it blows my mind everytime I see it. It's perfect.
>>
>>2994770
that's just the walking animation. Got to look at all the other stuff as well, like him smoking, or knocking on the wall
>>
The King of Fighters XIII
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz09bzLrwcs
Marsport for the zx spectrum. One of the better looking games for the system imho
>>
>>2993881
Lomax
Flink
Lionheart

All by the same people. I've never played them though, just saw those games in threads like this.
>>
>>2994073
> So let's display a sample in the worst way possible
>>
>>2995213

Flink managed to look beautiful despite the pig disgusting shallow color depth of the Genesis, that speaks highly of the artists' skills
>>
File: Doragonnosuke.gif (174 KB, 174x208) Image search: [Google]
Doragonnosuke.gif
174 KB, 174x208
>>2994738
'Large scale pixel art' (i.e. later KOF, Guilty Gear and other fighting game stuff, as well as what you usually find around deviantArt) isn't exactly the same as 'pixel art depicting large things'

OP's Metal Slug stuff and pic related is still constricted to the 320×224 or whatever resolution, it's just the subject is huge. You could say it's the same thing, but the key is to keep the style and detail density consistent with the smaller sprites; it's not easy, and they totally pull it off.

Lots of it is solved by rotating and warping layers, but there's plenty of parts of it done frame by frame (and they definitely don't scale down and adjust drawings/paintings; that would actually be extremely inefficient. They work and animate straight on the final scale
>>
>>2995261
>isn't exactly the same as 'pixel art depicting large things'
I never suggested otherwise. If it's more than a couple dozen pixels across, it gets boring.
>>
check out "In The Hunt" because it's the metal slug guys before they made metal slug
>>
>>2995398

It's also the only good submarine based shmup in existence
>>
File: slowbro.gif (48 KB, 62x60) Image search: [Google]
slowbro.gif
48 KB, 62x60
That pic feels like cheating, because it's not technically pixel art and very little of it was actually redrawn. They just jiggled around and rotate parts of the image, like this.
>>
File: 1454525777137.gif (5 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1454525777137.gif
5 KB, 256x256
>>2994770
There you go.
>>
File: thor ds 1.jpg (127 KB, 250x375) Image search: [Google]
thor ds 1.jpg
127 KB, 250x375
>>2995242
There are a few games that managed to look colroful on the Genesis.
Beyond Oasis
Ristar
Dynamite Headdy
Mr. Nutz 1 and 2
Mega Turrican

And well, probably more, but these just spring to mind.

>>2995213

Henk Nieborg worked on quite a few none-retro games, which feature beautiful pixel art, like Shantae, Contra 4, Thor (NDS) and Lock's Quest. Big fan of his work.
>>
>>2995398
Irem games always look fantastic.
>>
>>2995915
Doesn't really get much better than that.
>>
>>2995453
Neo Geo couldn't do sprite scalling like that.
>>
>>3000796
*rotation, I mean
>>
>>3000796
nobody implied the rotation was done on the machine the game ran on
>>
>>3000808
Makes sense, still kind of impressive that they drew a bunch of unique tiles like that for every angle.
>>
>>2995398
also geo storm
>>
>>3000809
it's cheaper and simpler than trying to animate the whole thing as one image. Flexible computer animation 101 is to split your actor into components, during creation, that you can articulate. Also, it's easier to do with a robot, since people understand robots are rigid except for their joints. It's much harder to decompose a human or other natural being like that, because the "components" tend to change shape when they move
>>
>>3000809
>>3000817
to clarify, they didn't draw a bunch of unique tiles. On the dev machines they built the actor out of parts, animated them using rotation and transformation, and rendered that into some output canvas. Then the canvas got minor post processing (fixing up artifacts), and is programmatically split into tile sets. The coder merely needs to make sure they can load everything into memory as needed.
>>
>>2995242
>>2997972

I find the genesis tends to have more colorful games when they aren't just a static screen like a JRPG.
>>
File: Gods_1.png (8 KB, 320x256) Image search: [Google]
Gods_1.png
8 KB, 320x256
>>
>>2993881

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy V
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Phantasy Star IV

Any other good RPGs? They seem to have good art.

Irem games tend to have good art.

Capcom.

I think they all have great art.

I like Super Ghouls'n Ghosts.

TG-16, Neo-Geo, SNES, NES.

The Genesis is kind of shitty, but Rocket Knight Adventure has great art.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.