[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So then...Pokemon Red or Pokemon Blue? You know what I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (200 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
200 KB, 1920x1080
So then...Pokemon Red or Pokemon Blue?

You know what I'm getting at...
>>
>>2992436
Monster rancher 2.
>>
>>2992436
I love how the Red/Blue fight keeps boiling down to Charmander/Squirtle when you could choose either of them in either game. It never comes around to the real argument.

>Growlithe vs. Vulpix
>Oddish vs. Bellsprout
>Scyther vs. Pinsir
>Ekans vs. Meowth
>Electabuzz vs. Magmar
>Mankey vs. Sandshrew
>>
>>2992532
Growlithe
Oddish
Scyther
Meowth
Electabuzz
Sandshrew
>>
>>2992532
Growlithe
Oddish
Scyther
Meowth
Electabuzz
Sandshrew

wow red was the clear winner. then again I only had blue so all the red exclusives still feel like novelties to me.. Nothing like catching a bellsprout early in blue tho and vibe whipping your way thru all of cerulean and beyond
>>
File: gen 1.png (130 KB, 456x3032) Image search: [Google]
gen 1.png
130 KB, 456x3032
>>2992532
Only exclusives I used was oddish/bellsprout as HM slaves. My main was a shitty pidgeot because I found pidgeotto in viridian forest and thought it's better than my starter then I just gave abra to daycare guy until it turned into kadabra and beat whole game with it. Took a shitton of revives to beat Elite 4.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (72 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
72 KB, 500x500
>>
>>2992436
I was a blue-kid, but you're certainly not wrong if you were a red-kid, hell we even got room for yellow-kids.
>>
>>2992569
I really liked this version, but if I had been the parent who had to shell out for a full priced gameboy game that was functionally almost identical to the previous release I would be pissed.
>>
>>2992532

Arcanine > Ninetales (thou Vulpix gets flamethrower sooner)
Victreebel >> Vileplume
Pinsir > Scyther (I prefer Scyther but in R/B it has no moves)
Persian (muh crits) > Arbok
Magmar = Electabuzz
Sandslash > Primeape (both are shit anyway)

But we all know that the real business is Blue's cover is way more badass than the Red one
>>
>>2992582
Why would a parent know or care about how similar the game is to the last one?

Unless the kid was crying about it themselves.
>>
>>2992593
> spoiler

Blasphemy. It's a turtle looking angry vs. A noble as fuck giant fire Dragon. Dragon> turtle anyday
>>
>>2992610
A parent might actually be interested in what their children are doing? Might be cautious about wasting money?
>>
>>2992613
>A parent might actually be interested in what their children are doing?
I would imagine if the kid likes the game any discussion about it would focus on what he likes about it, which is likely to be stuff which is different.

>Might be cautious about wasting money?
They bought the game because the kid wanted it. If the kid's happy with it then how's the money wasted?
>>
>>2992532
Vulpix
Oddish
Scyther
Ekans
Electabuzz
Mankey

TBQH
>>
Gold
>>
I originally bought Red because of Charizard, but I didn't like the exclusive monsters of Red that much.
Later on I bought Yellow, but it still didn't have Meowth.

So I sold them both, and got Blue from a friend of mine, along with a boxed OG Game Boy, I traded some Cypress hill and Snoop Dogg CDs for that, I think I did good. Pokemon Blue was boxed too, still have both things.

I still chose Charmander as starter though.
>>
File: 1454984077853.jpg (16 KB, 180x192) Image search: [Google]
1454984077853.jpg
16 KB, 180x192
I didn't own either as a kid because I finally got a Gameboy Color just a little bit before Gold/Silver, so I decided to wait.

But in retrospect and when I got the games a little after that, Blue easily. The color palette alone is much easier on the eyes than eye grating red.
>>
File: pokemon_blue_01.png (3 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
pokemon_blue_01.png
3 KB, 256x224
>>2992701

You can change the color palette regarding of the version you have.

I prefer the color palette on the super gameboy though. so comfy, and it changes from town to town.
>>
>>2992436
Why does gold/silver get discussed less here? I liked it a lot better and it came out on GB/GBC in 1999.
>>
>>2992741
Less iconic, lower player base. R/B/Y was when Pokemon was at a fever pitch, much more likely to find someone otherwise uninterested with Pokemon who's played Gen 1 and nothing else than any other gen.
>>
>>2992741

Plus Gold/Silver is constantly circle jerked by the entire Pokemon fanbase as being "THE BESTEST THERE EVER IS OR EVER WAS". Not much to discuss.
>>
>>2992741

I played Gold less because the battery died too soon.
>>
>>2992436
>not having divorced parents and getting both for Christmas
>>
I bought blue because I knew the rest of you fags would buy red and I wanted to be a special snowflake. The trading aspect of the decision was a nice bonus.
>>
>>2992773
Not having a best friend who owned the other version and playing for hours at a time over a sleepover weeked, not being blown away by trade evolutions the first time you did it unaware of that system.
>>
>>2992612
>dragon

Also, badassery >>> nobelty
>>
>>2993215
Lance has a Charizard in Gen 2, what now?
>>
File: 1410770908610.jpg (9 KB, 260x282) Image search: [Google]
1410770908610.jpg
9 KB, 260x282
>>2992532
No wonder people don't argue over the exclusives. That's a whole lot of shitters right there.
>>
>>2992774
This guy knows what's up.
>>
>>2992436
Pokemon Green.
>>
>>2992612
Well, you know, except in this is specific case where Blastoise there would stomp Charizard's ass.
>>
>>2993439
Actually a lot of pokemon there are better than others. Vulpix in gen 1 is better than Growlithe. Meowth is really fast, so he's good. Magmar and Electabuzz is a toss up. Bellsprout is better than oddish, and what not
>>
>>2992690

Yeah, I didn't mind the rest of Red's exclusives but I was always bummed that Meowth was on Blue.

Didn't have luck either when I got Gold and learned Meowth was only found in Silver.
>>
File: 134562918.jpg (44 KB, 522x472) Image search: [Google]
134562918.jpg
44 KB, 522x472
>>2992780
>Not having a best friend who owned the other version and playing for hours at a time over a sleepover weeked, not being blown.
>>
>>2993541
Nah dude, we are girls and we x-scizzored.
>>
I had Blue as a kid and still like it better.
>>
>>2992532

>Growlithe vs. Vulpix

I think both Ninetails and Arcanine are cool as hell, but I think I'd have preferred Ninetails.
>Oddish vs. Bellsprout

Oddish. Vileplume was wicked
>Scyther vs. Pinsir

Scyther, Pinsir looks like a retard
>Ekans vs. Meowth

I would have preferred Meowth
>Electabuzz vs. Magmar

Eletabuzz
>Mankey vs. Sandshrew

Sandshrew, Sandslash is cool.

I only had Red, though, and didn't trade, so most of these weren't options for me.
>>
>>2992612
>It's a turtle looking angry vs. A noble as fuck giant fire Dragon

It's a turtle looking angry with 2 cannons on it's back. It looks like a tank. And it can freeze you and cause earthquakes. Meanwhile by watching the cartoon you learn that charmander dies if his tail fire goes out, which is ultra lame, he can't even survive the rain. And as a charizard it's a jerk that doesn't obey Ash.
>>
>>2992532
Vulpix > Growlithe
Oddish > Bellsprout
Scyther > Pinsir
Meowth > Ekans
Electabuzz > Magmar
Sandshrew > Mankey
>>
>>2993450
I know you're trying to be cool, but you're just looking really stupid in the process.
The original Green and Red were both buggy broken messes with some truly hideous sprite.
>>
>>2993452
Pre-physical/special split Magmar is obviously the superior choice. Its stats actually match up with its type.
>>
>>2997141
What is the physical special split I keep hearing about?
What Gen was it introduced?
I know in Gen2 they split special into special attack and special defence but that's something else isn't it?
>>
>>2993875
Well I had Red as a kid and obviously you're wrong.
>>
>>2997158
Physical/Special Split was Generation 4.

Before this, whether an attack was physical or special was entirely dependent on type. For example, Normal, Fighting, and Ghost attacks were all Physical attacks. Psychic, Fire, and Electric attacks were all Special attacks. After the split, you started seeing things like Special Fighting attacks and Physical Fire attacks and such.

Magmar and Electabuzz are Fire and Electric respectively, both Special types pre-split. However, while Magmar has a higher Special Attack stat, Electabuzz is stuck with a higher Physical Attack stat. Since Electabuzz has a lower Special stat, its Electric attacks are pretty gimped, and you have to use shit like Normal and Fighting attacks to do any damage.
>>
>>2997170
>Physical/Special Split was Generation 4.
Shit, I had to double check it was really that late.
>>
Blue cause Vulpix and Meowth easy choice.
>>
Pokemon is for virgins. Sage.
>>
File: Bell_company.png (74 KB, 420x240) Image search: [Google]
Bell_company.png
74 KB, 420x240
>>2992535
>>2992541
>>2992668
>>2993951
>>2994106
>all these guys preferring oddish over bellsprout
Get some respect to the Bell, paesants

>>2992593
Superior taste, even the spoiler
>>
>>2992774
For me it was the same reasoning, but with Red.
>>
>blue

most people had the red version and i was the only one among my friends who owned blue. as they were missing a shitty vulpix or meowth i got great pokemon such as eevees or rare safari zone pokemon to trade blue-exclusive pokemon. i had already traded red-exclusive pokemon with somebody else and wasn't interested in more.

more annoying were those pokemon which only evolved after being traded such as alakazam. they were must-haves in your team and I always had to find somebody to trade whenever i had another run through the game.
>>
>>2992640

You're supposed to keep your kids from doing stupid shit so they don't grow up to be idiots.
>>
>>2992541
>>2992668
>>2993951
>>2994106
Oddish is shit for Misty lads
>>
>>2992441
/thread end
>>
>>2992710
I shit myself as a kid when i discovered this.
Then i played everything in black and white lol.
>>
>>2992436
Same shit

Even the different sets of Pokemon available are negligible
>>
>>2992613
>A parent might actually be interested in what their children are doing?
Lol no.
>>
>>2992436
>Games where color is a reoccurring theme
>Ex. towns are named after colors
>On a black and white system
>>
I totally prefer Green version. Especially because I usually play Gold version and it has the Red ver. pokemons.
>>
>>2996805
The sprites weren't as cute, but I do prefer them somewhat to the Red/Blue sprites.
>>
Having been a yellowfag, it's completely irrelevant to me.

After some researching, I voted Blue in the hope that I'll get some well-deserved seashells.
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 500x661) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 500x661
Oddish was King. Had blue wanted red. Life.
>>
>>2997314
My nigga, I always found the bell line so interesting and one of few grass types I wasn't ashamed to use
>>
>>2992436
I ended up getting the Blue version back in the day. I was just happy to have the game period, so that's why I have to go with Blue.

A few of my friends got Red so if we had both, I knew we could use the trade function we read about in Nintendo Power at some point.
>>
File: 1455635591642.png (424 KB, 519x903) Image search: [Google]
1455635591642.png
424 KB, 519x903
Blue, just because I like the colour blue better
Not that it mattered much anyway, since there were other issues I dealt with
>trying to find and catch tauros in the safari zone
>>
>>2992436
RED all the way.
>>
>>2992436
Red, although later on I preferred yellow.
>>
>>2992532
There's also the pokemon that are more common in one version or the other. Weedle vs. Caterpie and Koffing vs. Grimer for example.
>>
File: 1397993254261.png (284 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1397993254261.png
284 KB, 480x480
>preferred Blue
>favorite starter was Bulbasaur
I wasn't very popular
>>
>>3004606
You're weirdo, kiddo. I like you.
>>
>>2992532
Vulpix
Oddish
Scyther
Meowth
Electabuzz
Mankey
>>
>>2998964
To be fair it had pretty decent SuperGameboy features.
>>
>>3004606
Literally me

I got the game a bit after everyone else. I picked Blue so I would have an advantage in negotiating for trades and and I picked Bulbasaur because I knew it had an advantage over the first two gym leaders. I never really cooled about how 'cool' a Pokemon was, I was all about forming the most advantageous party.
>>
>>2992535
I agree 100%
>>
>>2992532
Growlithe, though Vulpix is cool too
Bellsprout
Scyther
Team Rocket can suck a dick
Magmar
My nigga Sandshrew.
Blue wins 3-2 for me, but Sandshrew/Sandslash is my favorite so it wins by default.

P.S. Squirtle for life, but I respect Charmander. Bulbasaur is for bitches.
>>
>>2992532
>>Mankey vs. Sandshrew
>>Ekans vs. Meowth

But that's wrong it's

>mankey vs. meowth
>ekans vs. sandshrew

Look at where they are available, that's how they line up
>>
>>2992441

Autism verified
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.