[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the difference between KOF 99 and 99 Evo, and which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: 99evo.jpg (104 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
99evo.jpg
104 KB, 540x540
What's the difference between KOF 99 and 99 Evo, and which version is better?

also retro KOF thread.
>>
>>2989679
Isn't EVO basically the line up of 98 with additional features? It's been a while since I had a DC and that game.
>>
File: dream match 99.jpg (79 KB, 480x483) Image search: [Google]
dream match 99.jpg
79 KB, 480x483
>>2989695

no that was this guy
>>
>>2989679
99 Evo had a few extra striker-only characters and 3D backgrounds, I don't recall if it also had the Arrange soundtrack, gameplay is the same as the arcade version, as far as I remember
>>
>>2989709

so no real reason to get that one over PS1? it seems to run a good deal more expensive
>>
>>2989723
the PS1 version had missing frames of animation on both the character and the backgrounds, to the point where some, very specific combos just weren't possible. If that doesn't bother you, go for it
>>
>>2989723
PS1 doesn't even HAVE strikers. None at all, you just chose a team of 3.
>>
>>2989749
What the fuck are you talking about!? of course it has strikers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buC7QzgM4q0
>>
>>2989759

that load time was pretty terrible
>>
>>2989769
Those were desperate times, anon. We didn't even care about how horrible MvC was on PS1, we just wanted a taste of that sweet arcade goodnes at home!

But really, if yout think that's bad, just check the load times on PS1 KoF '96, shit took twice as long for each round
>>
>>2989709

IIRC the striker-only characters had Seth, Vanessa, and Ramon I think? They eventually ended up in 2000.

>>2989769

Hey now, at least you could afford piss breaks in between rounds. But yeah, it was pretty bad for 99 as far as I know. But I can't hate on it considering the music.
>>
>>2989781
>just check the load times on PS1 KoF '96, shit took twice as long for each round

I actually got a copy of that kicking in a box somewhere. Haven't played it forever.
>>
K' is such a sexy bitch
>>
>>2990274

I actually disliked him at first and went with the whole WHERE'S MUH KYO/IORI? But in the long run you can't hate on Cyber Bruce Lee with Flames.
>>
>>2989781
>We didn't even care about how horrible MvC was on PS1, we just wanted a taste of that sweet arcade goodnes at home!
But that was already available on Dreamcast. Shame we got cucked on the Saturn ports of X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter though.
>>
Saw a comment with "KOF '96" and a picture of K' and at first i thought it was a clever troll

Then i read the thread. KOF 99 was my fucking waifu, next to PSO i haven't had more fun with friends than that

Shit was so good we took it on vacation on PS1 and killed that shit my familiar negroes

Dream team: K', Iori, Leona, and any generic karate guy. Possibly King if the karate guys suck this year.

God damn i love and miss this franchise
>>
File: maxima_kof-30.png (54 KB, 389x440) Image search: [Google]
maxima_kof-30.png
54 KB, 389x440
>>2991914
>and miss this franchise

It's not dead. Did you just muss all the KOF14 business? SNK got purchased by some chinese company who seem dead serious on actually making games instead of Pachinko or whatever shit
>>
Extra Strikers? Something like that.

Not much, in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>2992161
>chinese
lol it's ogre
>>
File: kof xiv.jpg (87 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
kof xiv.jpg
87 KB, 640x360
>>2992319
>>2992161
RIP
>>
>>2992161

It's funny how the new KoF looks so ugly but the gameplay is intact and still very good. It's a shame it'll probably be mocked by memetubers and kids that only cares about graphics and nothing else and with that'll hardly attracts any new fans.
>>
>>2992335
what with this barbieshit I thought this was a fighting game
>>
>>2989749
>>2989808
>>2989808

I don't know about you guys, but unless there were differences between region/versions, KOF 99 was pretty much one of the best Neo Geo ports for PS1.
Sure the missing animation is expected, but all characters are there, strikers, no slowdown, even a color edit mode (which was used for the KOF 2000 Color Contest).

Oh, and compared to the 15~25 second loading times from 96 to 98, the 5-second loading screen from 99 was so fast my friends were wondering what kind of black magic SNK put on this port.
>>
>>2992338

They said they where cleaning up the graphics so I don't imagine it will do badly. Should do reasonably well from the gameplay and at least well enough to justify a 15.

I hear tell they want to work on Samurai Showdown next
>>
>>2992161

Yeah, i dropped out after they introduced Igniz. The game kinda took a more projectile-and-insane-combo approach that i didn't care much for. It also only came out as special releases, i never felt like ponying up $60 for a game that i've kind already played, you know what i mean? I feel the same way about Tekken, i love that franchise but i also feel like i've kinda had my fun with it. I don't see the need to purchase other iterations of what i consider a kind of finished video game. I put in hard hours on both KOF 98/99/2001 and Tekken 4/5/6, so unless my homeboy wants to play some i'm kinda done with it for now. Maybe if they introduce a new series i might bite, though...
>>
Like people said, 99 EVO has some Extra Strikers, the stages are now 3D, there are some new stages (Ferris Wheel and another one in a park), and you can play as Krizalid in Story Mode (he appears in cutscenes now).

The Extra Strikers are:
- Seth
- Vanessa

Unlockable Extra Strikers:
- Kyo SP (biker jacket)
- Athena SP (schoolgirl uniform)
- Yamazaki
- Billy Kane
- Alfred (from Real Bout Special)
- Chizuru
- Goro Daimon
- Fio (from Metal Slug)

People said that you can unlock Syo and Gai Tendo by playing 50 hours, but I sincerely doubt that.
>>
>>2993147
Now that I've looked into it, indeed they (Syo and Gai) can be unlocked in KOF'99. My mistake.
>>
So, what's the best KoF and why?
I kinda want to get into it, but there's a fuckton of characters.
>>
>>2993196

KOF '98 on NeoGeo is widely considered to be the best one, but i personally think 99 and 2001 were pretty good. 2003 introduced some silly mechanics and the art style got a lot more anime-influenced, and the gag characters such as K9999 started coming in. Also, the boss battles started becoming nigh unwinnable. I posted just above, i thought Igniz really killed it. He looked cool, but unlike Geese, Krauser, and Krizalid, he was absurdly unfair to fight. Dude broke all guard blocks and all that jazz, he was clearly designed to keep you pumping quarters into the game imo
>>
>>2989808

IIRC it also had Daimon and Real Bout 2's Alfred as strikers. Maybe Yamazaki too?
>>
>>2993196

For gameplay, any of the ones on Steam (98UM, 2002UM and XIII) will serve you well.

The UMs refined the gameplay of the original versions, and XIII is pretty accessible, although it also enables some pretty insane combos if you're dedicated enough to pull them off (its trial mode is basically a series of "advanced kata" for each character, and not really a measure of regular gameplay).

XI is also pretty good, refining the tag team mechanics of its predecessor 2003, and I like how it had different bars to power offensive and defensive maneuvres, unlike most fighting games that use the same bar for both.

Story-wise, 97 and XIII tend to be the most eventful, although some knowledge of the events of past games helps.
>>
>>2992997

From the recent trailer they actually did good texture work on everyone, including K'.

They're gonna be mostly fine. I hope.

>>2993196

Easy answer is always 98 and 2002 (along with their UM Revisions). XIII for a more newer one and if you liked 2002.

This guy >>2993515 puts it better than I can.
>>
File: whip at her computer.jpg (142 KB, 850x964) Image search: [Google]
whip at her computer.jpg
142 KB, 850x964
>>2993196

Overall I like UM just for the roster. It's got a shit ton of characters and can really serve well as a sampler for who's who int he series
>>
>>2993515
>UM
Probably better and easier to play original versions over UM, but those are the best default KOF. Personally don't care much for UM on aesthetic grounds, and I don't really see the improvements being major enough to warrant getting them what with the dead online on steam. I can't find matches in 2002UM unless I set something up with friends, while I can find a room with 100 people playing easily for OG 2002 on fightcade.
>>
>>2992319
The owner is Chinese, SNK is still SNK and nip as ever.

It's not like SNK on their own managed to do anything successful with KoF.
>>
>>2993196
98 is considered to be the crowned jewel of the series

00 imo is the best NEST game if you love the SNK lore and has the best music of the entire series
Goodbye esaka>

02 is the NEST version of 98 but i think the UM version is much better because of the roster and improvements done

XI looks to be fun especially the PS2 port which adds more characters from Neo Geo Battle Coliseum like GEESE and retains the tag team formula from 03. Probably has one of best canon rosters because Duck King, Gai Tendo, and Sho.

XIII is also very good and one of the better fighters of the 7th gen since they removed the tag team from 03 and XI and went back to the original formula improving from the mess that was KOF XII.
>>
>>2998056

XI is pretty cool
>>
>>2998373

Indeed it is, but even then it got buried under BAAH I'D RATHER PLAY 2002 even when both machines here cost the same amount of coins/quarters.
>>
>>2999528

I didn't get to play any of them in the arcade sadly. had to wait till the ps2 ports
>>
>>2999601

The PS2 ports were fine as fuck for me, and the guest characters from NGBC were a great addition with the cool-ass mid-bosses.

It was the only KOF I almost got gud at, although stuff like how lenient the inputs are can be a factor to it as well.
>>
>>2999630

well Im not an expert but as far as know they where as close to arcade perfect as a home port was gonna get

personally id love to see a lot of classic kof games get the last blade 2 treatment with a modern online release
>>
>>2999647

A 95 online would be fucking neat. It was my gateway KOF.
>>
>>2999656

Id rather 08 and 02
>>
File: angry.gif (470 KB, 270x180) Image search: [Google]
angry.gif
470 KB, 270x180
>MFW I get 99 evo for the dreamcast and it apparently doesn't support VGA
>>
>>3003720
2D games look way better on CRT anyways
>>
>>3003764

Yeah except I don't have one of those and even if I where to get one Id have no where to put it
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.