[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just recently played trough SH1, 2 and 3 and I loved them.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 1452819934790.png (253 KB, 300x452) Image search: [Google]
1452819934790.png
253 KB, 300x452
I just recently played trough SH1, 2 and 3 and I loved them.
Now I wanna play Resident Evil, and I sure wanna play on a CRT(I noticed in Silent Hill 1, the crt makes the game way more scary for some reason, it feels more dark than the led) but I've heard about 3 different version that are different in the story, the music, and the controls?
Which are the best version of RE1 and RE2 for someone new to the series? Should I get them on PSN? Or should I just burn them and play on my PS2(it's modded, but I've heard some games are unplayable on it, so i wanna know before I burn a disc)?

TL;DR I wanna play Resident Evil but I have no idea where to start due to all the different version.

BTW I don't really mind the tank controls. I just finished SH1(2 times), SH2(once) and SH3(once for now) with tank controls so I guess I'm used to it by now.
>>
There's basically a HUGE choice you need to make on RE:1 between the RE:make and original. If you decide to go with the original decide if you want one with or without auto-aim. Not having auto-aim makes it not just harder but more intense because you'll be very tempted to let shit get very close so you don't waste your ammo.

For 2 and 3 it's the Dreamcast versions easily. I like the Dreamcast version of Code Veronica but most people say Code Veronica X is better.
>>
>>2963713
I agree the primary choice is the original or the remake for RE1.

The remake is a lot darker and scarier. The original is pretty fucking silly at times. I would argue that the remake is the superior game pretty much across the board unless you're looking for laughs.

2 I would say the PS1 version is fine, but some fags are going to come in and say the DC, Gamecube or N64 versions are better.

You can also get Code Veronica X on PS3 which is a pretty solid version.
>>
>>2963713

>There's basically a HUGE choice you need to make on RE:1 between the RE:make and original.

How's that a choice? Play the original, then play REmake. You appreciate the remake more after you've played the original.

Also OP, you could go with gamecube version for RE2. I think it's a port of the dreamcast version, but with the better gamecube controller.
>>
Ps1 for res evil 1 and two if you like em then nemesis also
no auto aim
Code veronica ps2
>>
>>2963761
Because /vr/ has a retarded either/or mentality inherited from /v/
>>
>>2963761
>I think it's a port of the dreamcast version
It isn't. It doesn't have the super hard difficulty.
>>
>Tfw on a whim decided to try Resident Evil for the first time
>Finished RE1 as Jill and LeonA/ClaireB in RE2 in 3 days
>Can't wait to get off work and do ClaireA/LeonB

Feels good man. ClaireB was brutal compared to anything in RE1/LeonA imo but god it was worth it.

That fucking Tyrant was terrifying. Every fucking time. I audibly yelled when the Licker came through the glass ceiling in Claire's campaign cause nothing happened in Leon's so like a retard I didn't think twice. The Tyrant coming through a fucking wall and the Licker coming through the two way mirror (both times) scared the shit out of me as well

Why the fuck did i wait to long to play these games fuck man.
>>
Just play them in chronological order of release.

Original is still a fantastic game. The sequel is one of the best playstation titles of all time. Three is a fun ride, and Nemesis will make you shit your pants at least once. Code Veronica might be the peak of the tank controls games.

At the very least, playing original and re:make gives you tons of little "Hey, I remember that! But now its..." moments that make the whole thing a ton more enjoyable.

Then after you play all those you can start RE4 and fully appreciate how it ruined the entire franchise forever.
>>
>>2963684

CRTs have better black levels than LEDs, that's why it seems more "dark".
>>
File: 250px-ShenmueDCbox.jpg (21 KB, 250x247) Image search: [Google]
250px-ShenmueDCbox.jpg
21 KB, 250x247
going to play shenmue for the first time is it any good before i play itor should i find anouther game?
>>
>>2963761
GC version is a direct port of the Dual Shock version. OP, you can go with any version for 2, really.
>>
>>2964391
Give it a go first. It's a slow game though from what I understand though. Never played it myself. I should
>>
>>2964391
If you plan on playing it why don't you play it and find out yourself?
>>
Be a yolo swag god and get the original without auto aim. Play Jill's scenario first, the Chris scenario is much harder than anything in the Silent Hill trilogy.

Stay away from the Ass Trumpet Edition if you're getting Director's Cut

Any version of RE2 is good, I played the PS1 original. It's a lot easier than the first game, so it's not a bad idea to play RE2 first.
>>
>>2966620
I just started playing RE1 for the first time couple of days ago and had no idea what difference Chris and Jill have so I took Chris. Was that a bad choice? I had to start over pretty quickly because my inventory got so full i couldn't even get the key to get to stash.
>>
>>2967270
Jill has 2 more inventory slots.
She also has a lockpick on her at all times, which means you don't need either the first mansion key (sword key) and small keys. However she doesn't have the lighter on her but you only need to use that twice.
Jill has Barry who may help her 3 times throughout the game depending on how you play. Instead, Chris may have to save Rebecca depending on how you play. Barry also may give you some ammo; but Rebecca can heal Chris at one point.
Jill gets to have the grenade launcher and Chris doesn't, though Chris gets more shotgun ammo instead, and he also gets the flamethrower for a short period of time.
There are also a few more enemies when playing as Chris.
Jill has a little less health though but however the game is easier with her.

Play Jill first, then Chris.
>>
>>2964356
This guy gets it.
>>
>>2964391
Nobody should ask that question for any game. It's pointless considering the subjective nature of this hobby, especially on a anonymous imageboard where most people only post absolute bollocks.
Gameplay footage and information is only a quick search away. If it interests you enough, then you should just try it yourself so you can possess an first hand opinion on it.

If Shenmue seems like the kind of thing you'd like but ends up being a disappointment, try a Yakuza game. Similar deal, but better execution, imho
>>
>>2963684
Pro tip - You might like to try the zorlon mod for RE1. It fixes a few of the annoyances of the PS1 director's cut original, like censored FMV and crappy music. I think that is the best unofficial PS1 version of the first game. If you don't want a patched/modded version then I think the non-dualshock director's cut is the 'best' PS1 version (as long as you prefer tank controls over a butchered music issue).
>>
So if I did LeonA/ClaireB in Resident Evil 2 should I go back and do ClaireA/LeonB or move on to Resident Evil 3?

Also is the gun you get from Barry better than your starting handgun.
>>
Resident Evil 4 all the way. My fav game of all time.

Anything by Kanye
>>
>>2973560
I'd say do Claire A/Leon B as well. A lot of future games reference that path.
>>
>>2973725
Is ClaireA/LeonB significantly different from a gameplay/puzzle standpoint, or is it just the same shit with different guns.

Either way I will probably play it. Cant be too hard since I remember most of where to go
>>
POST THE MEGA FAGGGOTS
>>
>tfw nobody mentions the big choice is avoiding director's cut
If you're playing the PS1 original, there's the very first release, and then there's the Director's Cut, which has notoriety because they completely redid the soundtrack and it sounds cheesy and synthy as fuck. Incidentally, this is the one I played.
>tfw I actually like the music

Also a port of the original is on 2DS. I have it, quite like it
>tfw I realized " RE: Deadly Silence" was just "Resident Evil DS" :O
>>
>>2975761
Actually there are two versions of Directors Cut, theres the first DC release which still features the orginal soundtrack, and then Capcom released an updated version of DC with DualShock controls.

Resident Evil: Director's Cut DualShock Ver. Is the one with the altered soundtrack, it's version that is currently sold on PSN if you decide to get it on PSP/PS3/Vita.
>>
>>2976192
Its also annoying to find online because no on differentiates between the two on sales sites. It all gets lumped in to "Director's Cut"
>>
MORE LIKE THE ULTIMATE LOSER!
I got all the old RE games from PSN OP, and they work fine. Just avoid RE: director cut because the soundtrack kills it.
CVX is underrated as fuck btw. It has the best bosses of all the old style RE.
>>
>>2976192
I stand corrected, you are right, I remember now.
>>
>>2976192
>Buy the Resident Evil PSN game since it has the original Director's Cut cover
>Download it
>Its actually Directors Cut DS
Fuck
>>
>>2963684
>Or should I just burn them and play on my PS2
Good option for RE1. For 2 and 3, if it's at all possible for you to play the Dreamcast versions then do so.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.