[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Repair/Mod General - GameTechWiki
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: Gtw_mario.png (101 KB, 684x629) Image search: [Google]
Gtw_mario.png
101 KB, 684x629
Working on any repairs? Mods? Ask your questions here, and share your projects.

Don't forget to check the wiki:
http://www.gametechwiki.com/w/index.php/Main_Page
>>
Have a SNES that isn't really displaying the title screen of Super Mario All Stars. I've tried the normal version and the version that includes Super Mario World.

Like, there's a block and distortions on the screen. Everything else seems fine though. It goes though the demo and each game plays fine. Just the title screen is fucked up. I've tried cleaning the slot, cleaning the games, and I've even washed off the board in water and dried it. Nothing really seems to be working.
>>
>>2942220
Other games play fine though. Forgot to add that in.
>>
How hard is it to mod a pocket for backlighting? It's my project, kit comes in the mail Tuesday, and I have to wait to buy an iron. But I've seen it, it doesn't LOOK that hard, but some people with practice can make things look easy.
>>
>>2942457
The only hard thing that I can imagine with a back light mod is getting that film off the LCD.
>>
>>2942464
Yeah that looks dicey. I'm just apprehensive I guess.
>>
File: megadrive2.jpg (42 KB, 363x296) Image search: [Google]
megadrive2.jpg
42 KB, 363x296
My mega drive 2 shows a black screen after showing the tmss message with a cart in. Without the cart there's no message and just black I have cleaned the contacts in the slot, in fact the entire board. What should I try first?
>>
File: afterbacklight.jpg (8 KB, 329x585) Image search: [Google]
afterbacklight.jpg
8 KB, 329x585
>>2942457
>>2942464
here is a picture of my modded gameboy pocket. Like anon said, the reflective strip on the screen is stuck on pretty good. IT took some patience but I was able to remove it and clean the rest of the adhesive with some Isopropyl alcohol. This was my first time installing a backlight mod and I would recommend just being patient. Take your time and you will be successful. good luck bro!
>>
>>2942760
Btw it comes with a resistor, but I got a bivert chip, both or just bivert?
>>
>>2942842
just the bivert. I wouldn't recommend the resistor. The backlight without it is much brighter. Personally, I wanted as much illumination as possible.
>>
Finished (almost, haven't installed palette switch) my NESRGB mod today.
Totally worth it.
Newest version of the NESRGB board (NESRGB14). I watched the constant problems of the very early days, and I'm glad I waited.

Tim is even taking some suggestions on improving the palette choices. 2016 is a good year!
>>
I have a general question about widescreen support in some 5th-gen games.

Some games on the PSX and N64 (i.e. Goldeneye) have a 16:9 "widescreen" mode, but usually it only amounts to adding black bars to the top and bottom parts of the screen, simply covering up parts of the image to create a fake widescreen look. Those consoles won't output a 16:9 signal to an HDTV, so the "widescreen" picture remains in a 4:3 box.

Now, on the HDTV I can force 16:9 (stretching horizontally) or zoom in on the frame. For games like Goldeneye which just cover up parts of the frame, zoom seems to be the way to go, but it doesn't seem worth it because information has been cut vertically, and I'm not adding anything horizontally (or am I wrong about this?). What's the best way to pull this off while maintaining the correct aspect ratio, or is it even worth it since it might not even be "real" widescreen? Do any games offer true widescreen?

TL;DR What's the proper way to display 5th-gen widescreen games on an HDTV, and do any games have "proper" widescreen support (meaning they don't just cover up part of the picture)?
>>
>>2942706
Clean the game.
>>
>>2942706

This: >>2944705

Dirty games may still get the "Produced By Sega Enterprises" screen since that is a part of the BIOS and not something from the game. Clean your games using the guide on the wiki:
http://www.gametechwiki.com/w/index.php/Game_and_Console_Cleaning

If that still doesn't work, the slot contacts may need to be tightened. Do any games work? Do games feel loose in the slot?
>>
>>2944449
I don't think so dude. widescreen mode on doublestrike consoles is just letterboxed 240p. For instance my completely standard def PVM has a 16:9 widescreen setting but it just letterboxes the picture.
>>
>>2944705
>>2944746
Nah it's not the games, they all work fine in my Model 1s. The contacts aren't loose. It takes quite a bit of force to pull them out. I was thinking maybe it was old solder on the pins or something? The solder looks fine but is solder damage visible?
>>
Probably asking the wrong place but is there a good video that I can follow for replacing my joystick with a JLF?
>>
File: dry solder joint.jpg (98 KB, 1023x767) Image search: [Google]
dry solder joint.jpg
98 KB, 1023x767
>>2944773
Solder damage should be visible if it's a cold solder joint.

I suggest looking under magnification. Also, check the 5v regulator. And as a last resort, look for any damage to the caps.
>>
>>2944780
depends on what stick/base you have

This is the best repository of knowledge I've ever come across for DIY sticks. It has everything http://slagcoin.com/joystick.html
>>
Just wondering. I have an N64 game and I need to replace the battery. Stupid me, I didn't take note of the positive and negative terminals. So what way does a CR2032 tabbed go into an N64 game?

Thanks.
>>
>>2944863
Most circuit boards indicate positive and negative input on battery terminals, as well as most other component orientation. Take a good look at it and it should tell you.
>>
I just opened my atari st 520 floppy drive for a clean up (lot of reading errors). I cleaned all the parts, took a lot of pictures during dissassembly but when I get everything back at its place and try to put a floppy in it, it goes pushing against the writing head and don't "click". Is there a guide somewhere ? What kind of replacement can I get if I screwed up and have to buy a new drive ?
>>
Going to get a Snes Everdrive soon. What is the best region patch tool?
>>
>>2945907
floppy emulator
>>
>>2946028
This question hahaha
YOU WILL GET AND EVERDRIVE NO NEED TO PATCH ANYTHING!
>>
>>2946389
Where you can plug an usb stick? With witch sorcery does it work?
>>
>>2946406
It´s a Chink version though.
>>
>>2946028
if you're pal just get a super senpai cheap off ebay then you'll be golden except for kirby/mariorpg/superfx games bro. if you have a us snes they you won't have any problems.
>>
>>2947092
Unless someone has done a better firmware for the gotek recently you'll want to spend the extra money to get an HxC. That uses an SD not USB.
Ideally get the source from the guy who did the amiga gotek and mod for ST.
>>
>>2943174
Nice. I know some guy on shmups is messing around with making a better palette in terms of estimating NTSC output.
>>
>>2947436
I already bought a Chinse Everdrive does that auto patch too?
>>
I know PSP isn't retro but I use it mostly for emulators and figured this would be the best place to ask.

the shoulder buttons have this plastic shielding keeping them in place. I replaced the shell but couldn't fit these bits back in (mostly because the new housing sucks).

the triggers are working fine as it is but I'm worried they'll get misplaced or crack the shell. anyone knows if those plastic shields are important?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
>>2942760
I am this /vr/ fag who has been improving my handheld modification skills. I just finished a front light mod for the first time on a Gameboy Color.
>pic related
As you can see in the picture, there was some small bubbles left over while I was applying the LOCA. Besides that, it was fairly easy. I played pokemon for a while after I was finished and completely forgot the bubbles were there.

I saw some reviews saying that this mod was shit! I disagree. The illumination is fantastic and looks great. I think with a little more precision and patience with applying the adhesive I could make it look perfect. AMA
>>
>>2944781
I reflowed all of them and its still not working
>>
>>2948674
There's no patching going on. If a game is region locked you will need that region console or a mod. As far as I can tell the clones are an exact copy of the original (don't try to flash an update though).
>>
>>2951418
in that case, it most likely is a chip or cap or something that has gone bad. Without some extensive testing, you're better off writing it off as a loss.

Unless you really feel like re-capping a console, checking traces, and replacing components for a project. I can tell you its going to cost more then just picking up a working one though.
>>
>>2950980
It's Beautiful
>>
>>2951428
But you can patch the roms if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>2951474
I know how to check caps (besides the fact that non are bulging/leaking) but how do you test chips?
>>
Is it possible for the RNG in a cart to go wonk somehow?

On my new playthrough of pic related, every single time I save in an area with random encounters, I immediately enter battle when I load it with 100% consistency.

Is the RNG determined by a battery that could have gone bad or something?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
Okay /vr/ I have an issue. My Super Smash Bros. will not work.
>pic related
I've cleaned the connector thoroughly and still nothing. I also tested 10 other games on my console and they all worked first try.

Could it just be a dead battery? I don't want to have to replace it if this is Not the case.

So guys, what do you think?
>>
>>2953076
nvm. I got it to work. I took a new razor blade and scraped off the black gunk that was really caked on. Cleaned it away with some isopropyl alcohol and it works fine
>>
>>2951584
that requires in-depth knowledge of their functions and test equipment.
>>
>>2953670
is there a service manual available?
>>
>>2953819
Yes there should be but I'm not aware of any copies.
>>
>>2953140
Where was the black gunk?
>>
File: black gunk.jpg (3 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
black gunk.jpg
3 MB, 3024x4032
>>2954618
it was mostly on just this one side of the connector. after I gently scraped it with the razor, i wiped the rest of the sediment with some alcohol and a Qtip
>>
If I buy a different region console, can I use a PAL SCART cable? (say PAL SCART on a NTSC console)
>>
>>2956350
depends what console but usually not.
>>
File: HexinverterBC.jpg (116 KB, 500x647) Image search: [Google]
HexinverterBC.jpg
116 KB, 500x647
I recently got a pocket for backlighting and bivert, and learned important lessons about the process. Which resulted in my having to get a second pocket to cannibalize a fucked lcd. I fucked the ribbon cable connections at the bottom of the lcd causing vertical lines to appear on the screen. Then exacerbated the issue while trying to resolve it. Lesson learned.

When I got the package the bivert chip was the one from Thursday Customs v 1.3. I have not yet installed it because it came with 1 wire. I'm leery of it after my earlier screw up but can I just cut and strip the wire into the 6 parts I need? I feel dumb asking if there's any necessity to concern myself with grounding/voltage wire or if wire is a wire is a wire, and that they're color coded for reference not ability.

Pic related, is the wiring scheme for the pocket verified applicable by the chip manufacturer. The only reason I'm bugging you guys is that I still haven't gotten a response from the seller whom I queried 4 days ago, and that it took 4 days for the chip manufacturer to get back to me.
>>
>>2956360
I take it that NTSC-U and NTSC-J are in these case the same and simply having a NTSC SCART does the trick?
>>
>>2947776
Ok thanks i'll see what i'll do
>>
I just got a used PS one and xenogears. I loaded it up and it just says pause. What is the problem? Controller? Game? Console?
>>
File: 1399320313716.jpg (220 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1399320313716.jpg
220 KB, 612x612
What's the best soldering iron/soldering kit on amazon for cheap? I want to replace some of my SNES cartridge's batteries. Also, are the 10 packs of batteries with tabs on them okay to buy from amazon?
>>
>>2958120
Anything that has variable temperature, preferably up to 40w, that that has interchangeable tips.

Xytronics, Hakko, and Weller are good names.
>>
>>2958134
How's this?
http://www.amazon.com/Vastar-Adjustable-Temperature-Soldering-additional/dp/B0192PZD1Y/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1454206789&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=soldering+iron&psc=1
>>
>>2958120
>>2958134
Forgot the amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098LY1UM

You'll need a stand and a way to clean your tip. I recommend the copper/brass/etc stuff over a sponge. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZPGDLA/

I love soldering, it's a great hobby. Fixing things yourself and building your own circuits is pretty rewarding. I find it relaxing as hell. /blog
>>
>>2958161
I don't know the name. Read the reviews. Looks okay. The picture that says through-hole components are of lesser quality is bullshit though.
>>
>>2958184
>it's a great hobby
I feel you. I'd splurge on everything, but I don't actually have a proper work space for this kind of stuff. I figured this >>2958161 would get me by for the time being.
>>2958196
Reviews seem fine. I guess I'll go for it. I'll probably buy better equipment later in the year if it doesn't work out.
>>
>>2958243
Let me know how it is, my buddy is looking for an inexpensive starter iron.
>>
>>2958265
Sure thing. Hopefully, I won't forget about you in two days.
>>
>>2952731
All random number generators in games are deterministic. Some games seed it with something randomish like the length of a button press at start, but if the game developer didn't, then you're out of luck.
>>
>>2956386
No, there is no difference.

The most important measure for wires is the gauge (thickness), but for what you are doing, your wires are probably way thicker than they need to be.
>>
File: Super-Famicom-Controller.jpg (3 MB, 3700x2080) Image search: [Google]
Super-Famicom-Controller.jpg
3 MB, 3700x2080
so my SNES controller has been acting up. Basically, the B button isn't making good contact apparently. a light press of the other buttons will register a response, but a light press of the B button will not. This means sometimes I hit it and nothing happens, or if I'm holding the button (say for a charge attack in MMX or Super Metroid) I'll occasionally get misfires because it stops registering my button press for a split second.

I tried cleaning everything inside with isopropanol, but I'm still getting this problem. Is there anything else I can do or do I have to buy another controller?

And if I have to buy another controller, are the jap and US versions exactly the same on the inside? I ask because I have a japanese controller and I'm wondering if I can replace the inside with a US version's guts and they're the same (except for cord length of course)? But I would like to avoid needing to buy a second anyway and fix it if I can.
>>
>>2958365
No it's crazy thin. Thanks for the reply.
>>
>>2958243
>I'd splurge on everything
That just sounds nasty.
>>
>>2958375
Did you peel off the rubber domes and clean underneath them? Isopropyl is pretty weak, you can use a stronger solvent on the PCB (not so much with the plastic/rubber bits). QD Electronic Cleaner or similar and scrubbing hard tends to do wonders.

And yes, both versions are identical.

>>2958462
Yup, and the low currents going through them mean you could probably use a wire several times thinner, though at that point they would be quite delicate to handle...
>>
Since I can't seem to find a Hakko 808 desolder gun anywhere for a reasonable price, how does the Hakko FR300 stack up as a replacement to the 808?
>>
>>2958829
Yep, I cleaned everything. I'll try out electronic cleaner
>>
>>2958291
>Hopefully, I won't forget about you in two days.
Story of my life.
>>
>>2950980
Nice anon. What steps did you follow ? I've been looking for a tutorial since quite sometimes.
>>
File: ffl2gif01.gif (4 KB, 48x70) Image search: [Google]
ffl2gif01.gif
4 KB, 48x70
>>2952731
Same thing happens with my setup. Always get attacked by the same monsters, in the same order after a cold restart.
I used to exploit the crap out of that - if you can get a stat-up in the first battle, save, restart, and do the battle the exact same way and you'll usually get that same stat-up every time (or until something throws the battle sequence off) You could get 99 natural defense on all your human / mutant characters if you wanted to grind it out.
Note that when I played it in a GBA-SP it either changed the order or randomized encounters completely, I forgot which.
>>
How durable are circuit boards when it comes to soldering? I fixed two of my brother's kids original 3DSes, they needed new charging ports since they busted theirs, but I burned the board slightly since this was my first time using a soldering iron. They both work perfectly fine but I was curious on how much would i have to really fuck up to make it unusable.
>>
>>2960516
The easiest way to fuck up PCBs is by lifting pads. This usually happens when you scrape with the soldering iron. You should never scape with the iron, instead clean everything and use plenty of flux. Overheating the board also makes it easier to lift pads. It is possible to repair lifted pads.
>>
>I burned the board slightly since this was my first time using a soldering iron
Are you using a temperature controlled iron? You should be, and it's very hard to accidentally burn the board if you have the temperature set correctly.
>>
>>2960556
Oh cool. Good thing I was using my brother's shitty soldering iron then, it would only melt the metal when I used the side of the iron, so touching the board barely happened. Had to position drops very carefully.
>>
>>2960565
No, it was a random one that my brother had in his work tool bag. Looked pretty old with just an on/off switch and a cap with a fuse in it.
>>
>>2960576
Important things about soldering:
Solder only sticks properly to non-oxidized metals. Copper starts oxidizing as soon as it touches air. Flux removes the oxide layer, and most solder has flux inside it, but flux burns up very easily and becomes useless. If you apply the solder to the iron and then try to transfer it to the joint the flux will have burned before you make the transfer. Therefore you should hold the solder directly on the joint and touch it with the iron when it's already in place. If there's a lot of oxidation you need to put extra flux on the joint too. Dirt also stops solder sticking properly, so clean things with isopropanol and if it's bad by scrubbing with a mild abrasive.

Air is a very poor conductor of heat, solid solder is a poor conductor of heat, molten solder is an excellent conductor of heat. If you keep your soldering iron tip clean (with damp sponge if it's only slightly dirty, or with brass shavings if it's more dirty), you can apply solder to it and get a nice thin and shiny layer of molten solder on the tip. This gives you good heat transfer. If a joint is resisting melting, you can melt some extra solder on it to it to help the heat transfer and the rest will melt too (don't push harder or scape the iron!). If you are soldering properly you only make calm and gentle movements.

Watch videos on Youtube to see how it's done.
>>
I have a questio regarding the N64 power supply.

I'm a PALfag living in a PAL country with a PAL N64. I'm importing in an NTSC N64 for obvious reasons, but lack a stepdown converter. Can I use my PAL N64 power supply with my NTSC N64 or will it get fried?
>>
>>2960725
That should work, yes.
>>
File: popy_game_pad.jpg (49 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
popy_game_pad.jpg
49 KB, 1280x720
>>2959737
>>2958829
This is a common problem with gamepads and remotes. Sometimes it isn't dirt or oxidation but the conductive material gets worn off the contact points. When that happens, cleaning doesn't help and it can even make the problem worse.
I've seen a few sites and videos that recommend gluing pieces of aluminum foil to the bottom of the buttons, or taping bits on top of the contact zones. Tried it one one pad and it's working better so far.
I'd like to see if there's a better solution out there, like maybe that conductive paint they have for patching PCBs.
>>
>>2960831
This may be the issue as well. Really cleaning the contact pads hard seems to help somewhat, but I can still feel there's a problem with the sensitivity.

When you say "taping bits on top of the contact zones" you mean between the rubber pad and the buttons, so that the button doesn't need to descend as far?
>>
>>2960842
You can get replacement rubber pads for SNES controllers.
>>
>>2961121
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-Sets-of-Rubber-Replacement-Parts-for-Official-SNES-Controller-Joy-Pad-/160848311941

Sure, but for 9 bucks I might as well just buy another controller, you know what I mean?
>>
>>2961225
>ebay
>you know what I mean?
That you're an eBaby? But yeah it's not worth the effort to repair a controller you can replace for $2.
>>
File: 61Ccx7FEBZL._SX385_.jpg (14 KB, 385x281) Image search: [Google]
61Ccx7FEBZL._SX385_.jpg
14 KB, 385x281
So, are these things reliable? I might pick some up with the soldering iron I get, but I don't know if any of the ones on Amazon are trustworthy.
>>
>>2961359
Dude, they literally cost spare change, what is there to lose?
Yes they work.
>>
>>2961384
It's says it's pretty much $10 for a 10 pack. SNES uses CR2032, right?
>>
>>2961359
I just installed some today, working great so far.
>>
>>2961441
Was it this one or did you get one individually?
http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Super-Snes-Sega-Genesis-Batteries/dp/B00GQCMWN4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454290340&sr=8-2&keywords=cr2032+snes
>>
>>2961408
NES, SNES and N64 all use tabbed CR2032.s

Speaking of batteries, I swapped some today on some games I got and low and behold I was able to save some data on some cartridges before the memory lost its charge.
>>
>>2960842
Some dude taped bits of foil shiny-side-down on top of the PCB "landing zones" for the buttons. Seems to me that after a while they would get stuck in the "pressed" condition, I dunno.
Anyway, THIS looks like the better way to do it, with the foil on the button side:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-an-IR-remotes-unresponsive-buttons/
It's for a TV remote, but they work the same as most gamepads, including the NES and SNES pads.
>>
I've asked this before but do not believe I've ever gotten a response. Is there any good adhesive for holding a controller's rubber contact pads in place? I know I was cleaning a television remote once and the pad was held in place by some sort of non-drying sticky goo. Whenever I clean a game controller and reassemble, they seem to have a tendency to be slightly mushy (especially during quick presses) as a result of the rubber pad now moving around ever so slightly under the D-pad. I'm thinking about just holding them in place with Kapton tape, but I'd prefer some sort of glue that won't damage the PCB.
>>
>>2961878
What about rubber cement?
>>
>>2961880
I was hoping for something non drying. I wouldn't want to do too much damage to the PCB whenever I need to clean the pads again.
>>
>>2961892
Rubber cement comes off with your nails and rubbing alcohol when dried.

Plus PCB's are pretty fucking resilient to.
>>
>>2961901
Alright, thanks. Maybe I will give that a shot.
>>
>>2961915
you know though there are little pegs to keep rubber contacts in place right? Unless it's like a Sega controller.
>>
>>2962137
Yeah, and I place the pads on there. They always seem to shift a bit during play. I especially notice it on the Famicom, where if I press down on the center of the D-pad I can sometimes feel a bit of the pad underneath. It normally isn't an issue, but when quickly pressing different directions, sometimes a press will feel mushy.
>>
>>2962148
Sounds more like the pads need to be replaced then anything.
>>
>>2959953
Here's a video about installing it.
http://youtu.be/AXQJAZINRkE
>>
>>2960448

Thanks anon, I might have to get me an SP

I wonder why the fuck this is happening
>>
where can I find a good soldering guide? dos and donts?

I already got the equipment.
>>
File: IMG_0801.png (584 KB, 640x638) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0801.png
584 KB, 640x638
Hey /vr/, got this Genesis from a friend recently. It powers on, but I have yet to boot a game past the whole "Property of Sega" screen thing. I cleaned it and the innards looked almost perfect to me (Although the expansion cover is missing), but I have yet to play anything. All I have is this shitty pic I took, but if anything catches anyones eye, ask and I'll open it up again. Any ideas why it won't play? Cartridge slot maybe?
>>
>>2961475
>http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Super-Snes-Sega-Genesis-Batteries/dp/B00GQCMWN4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454290340&sr=8-2&keywords=cr2032+snes

They looked like those but it was a different lot. Reviews said the tabs were reversed but the ones I received were fine.
>>
Guys, I'm having an issue with saves being deleted on my Soul Blazer cart. I replaced the batteries with brand new ones just the other day because I was having this problem but I am still experiencing loss of save data with new batteries. The save will actually work most of the time which causes me to play much farther into the game only to be devastated once again when they are gone. I have heard of the power switch on the snes malfunctioning so that it powers on or off repeatedly when switched which could erase save data. Any ideas on how I could test or fix this? Odd thing is that it only occurs on certain cartridges.

This has become the theme song of my ongoing grief at the game select screen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l24kSoVXlgk&list=PLB784776F547256AA&index=6
>>
>>2964663
Just realized I made batteries plural when it should be singular. I replaced the battery.
>>
>>2964663
>The save will actually work most of the time which causes me to play much farther into the game only to be devastated once again when they are gone.

Reflow the joints on the chips in the game cart. If the ones on the save chip are cracked, it can cause intermittent loss of save data, and the rest of them are just as old and a reflow can't hurt. Just give it a rest when it starts getting too hot, you don't want to lift traces.
>>
>>2964610
>All I have is this shitty pic I took
You need a better picture. The cartridge slot might be busted, I can't tell if that's damage or dust by the picture. I can't tell if any caps are going bad or not either. Give us a better photo and we might be able to help.
>>
why wont my .45 screwdrivers work on my n64?

The bolts dont move at all
>>
So, I got an Atari 2600 6 switch model. I did a small mod where I took the internal RCA jack and routed it out to a panel mount RCA jack like on the Atari 2600 Jr.

The problem that I am having is, over time, about ten minutes, the video becomes fuzzy and distorted. Any idea to what is causing this?
>>
>>2964674
Thanks i'll look into that.
>>
File: 20160202_221638.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160202_221638.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
>>2964716
>>2964610
>>
File: 20160202_221543.jpg (4 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160202_221543.jpg
4 MB, 4160x2340
>>2966935
>>
File: 20160202_221536.jpg (3 MB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
20160202_221536.jpg
3 MB, 3000x1688
>>2966936
>>
File: 20160202_202951.jpg (305 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
20160202_202951.jpg
305 KB, 960x1280
Still needs bivert chip installed, but how's it look?
>>
>>2966935
>>2966936
>>2966940
Alright, now we're talkin.

>>2966935
I could be wrong, but that solder joint on C1 looks wrong.

>>2966936
Everything looks OK here.

>>2966940
I swear it looks like that cartridge slot is leaking dirt.

If I had to guess from these three pictures, bad solder or cold solder joint on C1, or extreme dirt issues with the cartridge slot. You mind giving us some more pictures to check? I'm talking close-ups. We want to make sweet love to the motherboard, and we can't do that with distance shots.
>>
>>2942126
I have an original 3ds with the top screen completely off and gone, it worked before the screen was ripped off, but now it wont turn on completely, its like it doesn't register a 2nd screen and immediately shuts off, It turns on for like 1/16ths of a second Is there a way i can salvage it and make a GBA player on the bottom screen?
>>
>>2967107
I'm assuming you mean old DS. I'm just speculating here because I've seen pictures of what you are talking about. Maybe with the top part of a circuit is broke that makes the ds think that it is closed and it is going into sleep mode. If you could close that circuit you may be able to keep it from going into sleep mode and set the bottom screen for playing gba games. Like I said, not sure if this would work but throwing out ideas.
>>
>>2964610
I take it you cleaned the games, too?

Try tightening the slot. Take a small screwdriver or something else suitable for prying and gently push each pin towards the center of the slot. Not so close they're touching, obviously, but the slot should have a tight grip when you're done.
>>
File: IMG_0054.jpg (173 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0054.jpg
173 KB, 1000x750
>>2967107
I'm honestly not 100% sure what dictates a DS cut in half working or not, I have a DS that works (pictured) and one that has the same problem you have. It's possible certain wires have to stay in tact, or maybe a matter of removing parts leading to the top screen. Fooling around inside might help.
>>
>>2960725
you'll be fine, all 64's take the save voltage and your pal power supply is providing the same as the ntsc version.
>>
Ultimate GBA
sp 101 screen
gbamp3
soundtraxx model rail speaker?
>>
>>2942126
Modded my GBP the other day to have a backlight. It's pretty awesome except it doesn't hold a steady brightness almost like a slow flicker. I assume it's possibly due to my shitty soldering job. Anyone know if it's just the hardware itself?
>>
>>2970687
I just bumped because I don't want the mod thread to die. I would also like to provide some feedback on your situation. You may want to re-solder. I would first try a new set of batteries. If there is still a flicker i would go back in and check that everything is connected properly.
>>
>>2966975
looks great anon! Combining it with a bivert chip will substantially improve the contrast and ultimately project a better image on your screen. Good luck bro!
>>
I just got me a phat ps1 9001, it has a mod chip installed but while it reads perfectly my scratched as fuck original games my backups boot but tend to freeze or crash, is the laser fucked or it needs to be calibrated?
>>
>>2969042
I've read it senses the power draw from the top screen to know it's working and you can trick it with a resistor.
>>
>>2974894
>needs to be calibrated
Burnt discs are not as clear for the drive to read as pressed discs according to the intarwebs. As such, if your laser is the least bit less than perfect, you will notice problems with burned discs. You can adjust the pot to fix it, but you can also completely break your shit as well. Google around for how to properly adjust the laser pot, that should fix the issue.
>>
>>2961790
>Speaking of batteries, I swapped some today on some games I got and low and behold I was able to save some data on some cartridges before the memory lost its charge.
You sound surprised. What were you expecting to happen?
>>
>>2976045
>You sound surprised. What were you expecting to happen?
Generally when you remove a battery, you have a limited time to put a new one in before the charge holding the saves dissipates. He managed to replace some within this timeframe and keep the saves on them.
>>
>>2976059
Oh I thought he meant after replacing the battery he reclaimed the ability to save the progress of his game - like he could before the previous battery ran out.
>>
Anyone know of a cheap, reliable place I can send a PlayStation to have a modchip installed/buy a pre-modded system? I don't have the tools or knowledge to install one myself.
>>
>>2976663
drakon
>>
>>2976072
>>2976059
>>2976045
No, as in I replaced them and the save files that where on the cartage before the swap sill existed afterward.
>>
>>2976918
Also, a little quirk I noticed with Super Metroid. If the game detects no voltage for the battery it over writes all the slots with dummy save files. As soon as you get into the space station, Samus explodes because she has 00 energy. You have to delete the dummy save data and start over.

Just something to keep in mind if you ever want to replace a Super Metroid battery.
>>
>>2976928
Is this a fact or your interpretation of what you see? A simpler explanation might be that when a when the SRAM chip looses power it resets all address values to 0 and the game doesn't detect that all 0s isn't a valid save file.
>>
>>2976975
It's speculation from what I've read.

They think Nintendo did it to prevent people from buying cartridges with bad save batteries in them.
>>
File: hotglue.jpg (863 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
hotglue.jpg
863 KB, 2560x1920
>>2976835
>drakon
Lol no
>>
File: copy-protection-earthbound.jpg (22 KB, 497x225) Image search: [Google]
copy-protection-earthbound.jpg
22 KB, 497x225
Playing Earthbound on my PAL snes (inb4 >PAL)
How do I get past this screen?
>>
>>2977683
lol you stop stealing games. If it's an original cart it won't work on a PAL machine. You should probably get a repro.
>>
>>2977823
>stop stealing games
>get repto
that is like paying someone to steal it for you
>>
>>2977683
Emulate it.
And that is a serious answer BTW
>>
>>2977908
Congratulations, you're so retarded that you came into a hardware troubleshooting thread and went "lalz juts emolat LOL!!"
>>
File: IMG_20160129_212102.jpg (2 MB, 2538x3218) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160129_212102.jpg
2 MB, 2538x3218
I made my own thread about this but I guess It wouldn't hurt to make one here too.
My SFC has these weird yellow marks\lines\patches on every game, I have tried cleaning the cart slot with alcohol but no luck.
It's 100% not the cable I'm using as I've tested it with a few and on different TV's.

They aren't fixed to any particular part of the screen, and are worse in some games than others.

For example, you can only kind of see it in the sky in DKC, but in endless duel its all over the character select screens faces, and in SF2T too.
>>
>>2977908
>>2977823
>>2977850
I'm playing it on an Ever Drive. Is there a way to give it the correct checksum?
>>
>>2977683
>>2977973
http://starmen.net/mother2/gameinfo/antipiracy/
The game does look for a very specific side of SRAM for it's first check, if that fails you get the copy right screen.
But there is still further checks it does later on.
Probablly worth just seeing if there is a rom hack to remove all of the protections.
>>
>>2977683
>>2977973
You need the "(U) [f1]" version of the ROM to work on your unmodded PAL SNES. People online say that one works fine on PAL SNES's. If you end up region modding your SNES, then you can use an unmodded ROM.
>>
File: 1454622393077.jpg (88 KB, 582x741) Image search: [Google]
1454622393077.jpg
88 KB, 582x741
Somewhat on topic - Looking to start a website that sells videogame repair parts, controllers, accessories, etc. etc.

What are some things you'd like to see on a website like this that other websites do not seem to do?

Out of all systems, I know my way around the PSP the best for some reason. Used to hack / mod it all the time

Pic related : Yugioh is good on PSP
>>
File: Capture.png (1 MB, 640x916) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1 MB, 640x916
Wanted to continue my Planescape: Torment re-run

It worked fine a few months ago, but now when I boot it all the buttons in the UI are gone
The screenshots are from a fresh install without any mods, but the results were the same with the widescreen mod and GhostDog's PST UI

As you can see in the second screenshot, I think the entire screen should be darker when you press quit, but you only see parts of the darker area in the top left of the screen
So I think all the UI are just being rendered at the top left of the screen

I swear the only different thing since I've last played was that I got a second monitor.
I've tried unplugging the second one and running the game but nothing changes.

I'm on Windows 7. I know it worked fine before though
>>
Anyone know of a good place to get Atari 2600 replacement switches? Like for the game select and reset?

I really don't want to have to open up and rebuild those. They're a nightmare.
>>
>>2979772

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com

Yes, the site looks like it's form the mid 90's.
>>
>>2980309
Oh good god.

I'll try rebuilding the switch and cleaning it before ordering anything from that.
>>
>>2977934
Just a guess but either the ppu is dying or you might have some bad solder joints somewhere.
>>
>>2980312
You could also try contact cleaner if you have any.
>>
>>2980320
Yeah, that's on my list of things I need to pick up.
>>
>>2980309
Dat old ebay logo, tho.
>>
I have an old PS1 9000 from my childhood and it still works great.
Now that I'm starting my PS1 collection in earnest, I've encountered the problem of it being PAL. I would need to get it region moded and 50/60hz switched. Is this even possible?
>>
>>2981442
I also read that the 50/60 hz switching depends on software being used (a PAL system will run an NTSC game at 60hz) but I'm not sure about that. Can anyone confirm this?
>>
>>2977060
Holy shit. Is that superglue?
>>
I might as well ask this here.
How are universal component cables? Do they have any type of flaws compared to single component cables? Do they even benefit with the original PlayStation?
>>
>>2982029
No. It's drakon seed.
>>
>>2981442
>>2981734
All PS1s can output both 50Hz and 60Hz. You just need a mod chip so you can run the right software. (and possibly a PAL60 mod if for some strange reason you can't use RGB.)
>>
>>2980321
>>2980320
Well, it wasn't the switch but the paper thin ribbon cable they used.

Looking at this for a replacement. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-ribbon-cable-part-number-C012776-VCS-genuine-replacement-/381540498718?hash=item58d595fd1e:g:bXIAAOSwNphWXyUA

Question is would that work.
>>
I just re-capped a friends front loading NES and the 25v 2200uf cap seems to have bulged over night. It was fine a few days ago but ballooned pretty fast. It was at a solid 2200uf when I installed it, and I ran it for a few hours a day a day ago and now its at a low 1600uf.

What causes a cap to go so bad so fast? I haven't had any others from this batch fail as bad as this one.

When I went to remove the cap and replace it, the traces seemed to just fall off the board even though they where fine a day ago. Under the traces there seemed to be a rough type of corrosion. Could this have made the cap go bad?

If it's any help it was an Alps Power & Modulator PCB (with Discreet Diodes)
>>
>>2966935
>>2966936
>>2966940
That thing just needs to be cleaned. Wipe the board clean with isopropyl alcohol, scrape the dirt from the pins under the cart slot (I think a used toothbrush would work for that), and whatever is the standard cleaning method for cleaning the cart slot.

More importantly, clean your carts too, chances are those are dirty as well, which could lead to more contact issues.
>>
File: 1377759138276.png (144 KB, 373x242) Image search: [Google]
1377759138276.png
144 KB, 373x242
HAAALP!
I need to know before the shipping date rolls into another day.
>>2982274
>>
>>2982405
They're generally shit.
>>
>>2982445
Can you elaborate on that? I have a universal s-video cable, but I don't really see any significant differences between it and a single console s-video cable.
>>
>>2982469
Well, then you got lucky. Most cables, especially with S-video aren't wired right at all.
>>
>>2982472
Really? I forgot to mention that I also bought another set from Gaystop and it looked fine as well.
Anyways, I was thinking of going with one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Gigaware-Universal-Component-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B007Z7QL68/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1454992743&sr=1-2&keywords=universal+component+cable&refinements=p_72%3A1248885011

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-6FT-Component-Cable-Xbox-360/dp/B004C4U1VI/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1454992743&sr=1-3&keywords=universal+component+cable&refinements=p_72%3A1248885011
>>
>>2982329
If you know the cable is bad then you don't have much to lose.
Do you have a multimeter with continuity function to check the old cable?
>>
>>2982347
Maybe the old capacitor leaked and damage the traces.
>>
>>2982484
Yep, 3 of the 12 pins aren't showing any continuity. This is after I rebuilt both momentary switches and sprayed them down with contact cleaner.

I e-mailed the guy asking about it and I also asked the guy that owns that site about a cable. >>2980309
>>
I want to get 480p out of my Dreamcast, so I'm using a VGA box. My TV is lacking a VGA port and I don't want to switch to inferior 480i. What's the best way to go around this?
Do converters like http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000SJ2TJ8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1454995132&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=vga+to+component&dpPl=1&dpID=416WMOnUcKL&ref=plSrch work?
>>
>>2982518
Yeah, a connector cable like that should work fine. VGA is just RGB with H and V sync and some monitor ID bit pins.
>>
>>2982490
Maybe but it really doesn't explain how the cap went so bad in two days. I don't by knock off caps either, this was a Nichicon
>>
>>2982329
>>2982484
>>2982491
Wow http://www.best-electronics-ca.com has a $20 minimum and they don't even have pictures.

Guess I'll go with the E-bay one.

Pretty bad to loose customers by A) Not having pictures, B) A minimum order and C) No website to order though, you have to e-mail.

What jokes.
>>
>>2982708
Oh, and they charge $10 if you want a picture.

Fuck that.
>>
>>2981442
http://www.eurasia dot nu/shop/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=278
>>
>>2982029
hot glue
>>
What are some must-have utensils I have to get for modding consoles (or soldering in general)?
Except for the soldering iron and some solder, I don't have anything.
>>
>>2980314
it's not really a huge deal, because i can just get a loose sfc from ebay really cheap i guess.
>>
>>2983632
hot glue
>>
>>2952731

FFL1 instead of FFL2, but bear with me....

I know this sounds insane, but I believe the GBC color choices affect the RNG. Check it.

- GBA SP 001
- Save game, loads to immediate battle
- When you win, Mutants in slot 2 and 3 (there's no slot 4, 4 is too many characters for FFL1) gain HP.
- Chose left (blue sprites) for the GBC pallet while grinding and taking advantage of my save that had the RNG stuck in a +hp position
- Didn't choose left, game did not load to immediate battle. Walked until I found a battle: different foes, did not give plus HP.
- Reset, this time choosing left for blue sprites --- old pattern returned, continued to grind HP boost.

Now prior to this I was trying to play this game on an original fat GB with backlight / bivert / 90 deg polarizing filter. And I just couldn't get my mutants to get *any* HP. I got to world 2 with 20 hp mutants.They did get 99 mana in goddamned record time, though. I literally couldn't get my mutants to get any HP until I switched to the GBA SP, which very clearly has different RNG characteristics.

Thoughts? Theories? Does a GBA SP act the same as GBC for the RNG? The same as an original GBA? How does an emulator act?
>>
>>2982936
why??
>>
>>2985121
Because its better then soldering connections ;^)

In all seriousness, its a very lazy molder not doing it the right way.
>>
>>2942220
Have you tried the carts with another SNES, if possible?
>>
I recently picked up an Atari 2600 from my local retro store and they were selling it for $10 as it was "broken". Quite simply the signal for the RF output was failing to to be registered by newer TVs, so i simply put in a transistor amplification circuit and i also decided to future proof it by installing a AV output as well. While it doesnt look the best at least i got a working atari that will last me for a decent time for dirt cheap.
>>
>>2986239
Yep. I just decided to scrap those boards. Either their SRAM or PPUs where fucked.
>>
Not really a repair question, but I was wondering what model of PS2 I should buy. I've never owned a PS2 nor PS1, so I figured I'd pick up one to play both libraries, especially since it means I can render PS1 games via component.

I'd be interesting in softmodding it and playing games off a harddrive, as well as physical discs.

My main concern is reliability. I've heard lots of shit about the PS2 lasers failing and such, so I'm trying my best to avoid a dud.
>>
>>2987221
Don't get a 3001-R. They're prone to failure. a 3900 or anything other then the 3001-R will do you.
>>
Any Torontofags here know of any good local modders
>>
>>2987226
What about 30001 minus the R?

And does slim vs fat matter? I still need to do research and I don't yet know if I can play games off a USB harddrive with the slim.
>>
>>2987230
I'd avoid any 3001 model in general.

Slim vs fat isn't that important unless you're looking for compatibility. The Slim emulates PS1 hardware and has more issues though. The Slim also has some compatibility issues with PS2 games I heard too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2
>>
>>2987234
Really? I had no idea the slims didn't have PS1 hardware inside.

Fat PS2 that's anything but 3001 it is, then. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>2987242
Yep.
>>
>>2987234
>The Slim emulates PS1 hardware
Nice meme dude.
>>
Anyone know of a database that documents all variations of SNES games?

Like this site http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/home.php

but with SNES games instead of NES.
>>
The screen (not the LCD but the glass/plastic/whatever thing on top of it) of my GBC is badly scratched, is there any way to fix it somehow? Is replacing the only option?
Can replacements be easily found?
>>
>>2987680
There isn't one. SNES carts have a lot of physical variations even for the same games which are often cosmetically different but functionally interchangeable. snescentral.com has a lot of PCB snaps and useful info.
>>
>>2987756
They are under $4 on ebay for a replacement.
>>
File: 1368074456668.jpg (32 KB, 620x438) Image search: [Google]
1368074456668.jpg
32 KB, 620x438
Okay, so should I get this bundle of CR2032 from Amazon?
>>2961475
Reviews make it seem pretty sus, but it's the cheapest option on there.
>>
>>2987759
I'm aware. But I am just wondering why it hasn't been done yet. Lots of NES games have internal variations and those are documented.
>>
File: 1415827568576.jpg (30 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1415827568576.jpg
30 KB, 500x375
Okay, wait.
>>2989319 here. I found this, but it doesn't have any reviews, but it's Panasonic. The only thing is that I'm not sure if it'll have the right type of tabs for SNES games.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LWRGH98/ref=biss_dp_t_asn
Should I go for it?
>>
>>2989430
http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Panasonic%20Batteries%20PDFS/CR-2032_VCN_Dwg.PDF

Doesn't look like it. You really should buy from Digikey
>>
>>2989438
Do all SNES games have tabs that way. The games that I need to fix are SMW, DKC, Super Metroid and maybe Secret of Mana. Unless I should just say fuck it and buy a game genie instead.
>>
>>2989449
No.

Let me give you the right type.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CR-2032%2FHSN/P659-ND/2404064

This type will fit in NES, SNES, N64, Genesis.
>>
>>2989452
This is gonna sound stupid, but why doesn't it show multiple views of the battery? That pic makes it seem like it only has one tab. makes me sorta worried. Probably just overreacting, but still.
>>
>>2989470
Because its a technical drawing showing all measurements from each angle.
>>
>>2989475
OH, I was talking about the actual picture. Didn't notice the datasheets. Are you sure this is right?
http://industrial.panasonic.com/cdbs/www-data/pdf2/AAA4000/AAA4000DE87.pdf
I'm not sure which one of these is the one you linked.
>>
>>2989493
Yes, This will work. You might have to bend the positive tab a bit after putting it though the solder hole to keep it in place while soldering because the tabs are smaller then the one they used in most games.
>>
>>2989496
Have you bought these before? CR-2032/HSN, right? Shouldn't one for SNES have the tab moe to the edge of the battery instead of closer to the middle?
Like I said, really worried. Don't want to spend $10 and wait only to find out they aren't the right ones. Sorry.
>>
>>2989515
Yes they are the right ones. And I have bough them and they work fine. Just beware of Super Metroid. It has a quirky save system where it writes over each slot with 00 life. Just have to delete all the games and start over for it to play right.

Any of the 3 Panasonic tabbed 2032's on Digikey will do you. They're just slightly different models is all.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/battery-products/batteries-non-rechargeable-primary/394467?k=CR2032&pv258=250&FV=fff40006%2Cfff804e3%2Cfffc000b&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25
>>
>>2989519
>just have to delete all the games and start over for it to play right
That's fine. I don't have any saves on the carts anymore since the batteries died anyway.
>They're just slightly different models is all
So, would I be okay if I bought just 10 of the HSN ones, or do you think I should add more variety to my shopping cart?
>>
>>2989531
It really doesn't matter. They're all almost identical.

You're going to have to ship UPS or FedEx due to them being hazardous material though. USPS is a bitch and won't ship batteries.
>>
>>2989534
How much extra is shipping usually?
>>
>>2989540
It's about $6-7. They have estimates.

It's better if you ordered like 10 batteries. They hold a charge forever and you never know when you'll need one.
>>
>>2989543
Which of the shipping options should I actually pick for UPS? It doesn't really specifiy what they do/how long they will take. I don't know what it means by freight charges, either. I've never done anything like this before, so sorry if I sound dumb.
>>
>>2989554
You want UPS or FedEX ground
>>
>>2989556
Okay. I'm gonna assume the freight charge option doesn't matter, right?
>>
>>2989563
Not that I know of.
>>
>>2989564
Alright, then. I ordered it, but I did it as a guest. Does that matter? Will I be able to track it or get any updates on my shipment?
>>
>>2989591
Yes. Digikey is very good about that. If you have any questions about shipping they have 24 hour live chat support. They can clean up any shipping questions you may have.
>>
>>2989594
Nice. Thank you for helping me out. I appreciate it.
>>
>>2989607
No problem.

Hope you're good with soldering.
>>
>>2989608
I think I'm experienced enough, so I should be good. Only thing I need now is a proper desk/table to work at.
>>
>>2989614
Any wood surface should do.

Be careful when exposing the batteries to heat. You really want to make it as minimal as possible.

You have some de-soldering braid and flux right?
>>
>>2989619
I'll probably get some from a hardware store before the batteries come.
>>
>>2989630
Nooooo

Don't use flux or de-soslder brad from a hardware store on electronics.

If you have to, go to Radio Shack.
>>
>>2989634
Alright then. How much is it, usually?
>>
>>2989637
Shouldn't run that much at all maybe $10-$15

What iron do you have? Is it EDS safe?
>>
>>2989643
Went with this, since it was cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01712N5C4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A13PRKMVKLJGWH
I'll probably get a better one in the future.
>>
>>2989647
That's some Cinglish there if I've ever read it.

Just be careful
>>
>>2989634
>If you have to, go to Radio Shack.
What makes you think the shit radioshack sells is any better? Their desolder braid is the worst I've ever used. Or rather, tried to use. The cheap shit I bought at Microcenter works better than their garbage. Only buy stuff from Radioshack as a last resort.

source: I've been soldering for 20 years.
>>
>>2989743
I know

But using anything that's not meant for electronics on electronics is asking for trouble. At least there, their soldering supplies are aimed towards electronics

Not pipes
>>
>>2989746
Hardware stores usually sell rosin core for electronics as well as the acid core shit for plumbing.
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (16 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
16 KB, 500x500
I want to use VGA on my Dreamcast but it doesn't display anything on any tv's (does work on monitors though). I heard an converter to HDMI would work. Would this one specifically work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-to-HDMI-Full-HD-Video-1080P-Audio-Converter-Box-Adapter-for-PC-Laptop-DVD-/201484942870?hash=item2ee9703e16:g:GrQAAOSwp5JWbns9
>>
>>2990503
HDMI converters can introduce input lag. Have you considered VGA to component?
>>
Not really retro, but is there any way to repair a wii u gamepad that won't charge or turn on despite trying different new batteries and chargers?
>>
>>2989652
Okay, I'm back. I guess I read the estimate wrong only to find out that shipping was around $10. Was quite surprised, so I went to the 24 hour chat only to be told there was nothing I could do. I mean, at least it's better than paying $5 for each battery, so it's not as bad. I should've paid attention.
>>
>>2990770
All these newfangled electronics have pretty delicate charging ports. I'd start there.
>>
>>2990761
Not really, is there a big difference between the two when it comes down to input lag?
>>
>>2991284
Yes. VGA to component has single digit ns lag while VGA to HDMI can have double digit ms lag.
>>
>>2990484
Yeah, none here and I can't imagine the random store having it.
>>
>>2942126
What screwdriver do I need to open up the non retro PSP 3000?
>>
>>2991728
Phillips #00
>>
>>2991420
Do you by any chance know how much input lag the converter in >>2990503 has? Because if it doesn't have to much. I would rather go with that. Since the Component ones are a lot more expensive.
>>
Soi got a S-video cable for my N64 only to discover that my SCART port doesn't accept s-video. Is there a way to force it through as a SCART signal from my s-video to SCART adapter?
>>
>>2948480
FBX is the name of the guy doing it.
Today I applied his new pallettes to my board.
He has done a remarkable job.
It's a shame that it requires a USB Blaster. Luckily I got mine from eBay for $8.
I would hope that Tim sees the merit of these new palettes and makes them the default for new boards.
LoZ and Simon's Quest are good examples of where the differences are noticeable.
>>
>>2990503
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-to-HDMI-Full-HD-Video-1080P-Audio-Converter-Box-Adapter-for-PC-Laptop-DVD-/201484942870?hash=item2ee9703e16:g:GrQAAOSwp5JWbns9
I tried running a similar Box to get my vga to work on my $k TV, didn't work at all unfortunately. Apparently the Dreamcast outputs at an unusual resolution, cheap converters just don't seem to work. Apparently the Framemeister is awesome for it though, and you can get a vga box that converts a scart signal into 480 then runs it to HDMI.
>>
>>2992608
So a VGA box is pretty much the only way to go?
Because I'm not going to buy a Framemeister.
>>
So I bought a Saturn today for the first time. It seems to randomly reset itself a lot and it's only reading the games as audio CDs. Is this a problem with the spindle motor? I'd like to get this one working if at all possible, I got it for a steal. Want to know if this is fixable before I replace the battery as well. Thanks.
>>
>>2992562
You have a PAL console? From what I hear, PAL n64s don't do s-video. If this is true, your SCART port may work but the cable simply isn't compatible with your console.
>>
>>2993023
I have a Jap console so that's not it.
I'm using a PAL TV though, but it works fine through composite to SCART so that's not the problem.
>>
>>2993018
NSTC or PAL?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.