[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did this game even happen? It is unplayable in later levels.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 2
File: Crash_Bandicoot_Cover.png (188 KB, 300x298) Image search: [Google]
Crash_Bandicoot_Cover.png
188 KB, 300x298
How did this game even happen? It is unplayable in later levels.
>>
Git gut.
>>
It hasn't aged too well
>>
>>2938416
There it is!
>>
What's giving you trouble? It's actually one of the most playable launch titles on the ps1.
>>
>>2938418
The game Spatial broken. Space between the objects is not what it looks like, especially on 3D levels. The side-scrolling levels are better but even then you miss jumps.

Plus you can only save on bonus levels. Why?
>>
>>2938430
I see, I also had some trouble with the depth perception when I first played it, but it's something that can be worked around.
>>
>>2938418
It actually came out one full year to the day after the launch.
>>
>>2938416
Code base has almost rotten away at this point.
>>
>>2938412
Name the unplayable levels.
>>
>>2938474
Everything on the 2nd Island. I am on #17, don't remember the name.
>>
>>2938483
Sounds like you need to get gud. I'm shit at games (never beat SMB or anything) but Crash Bandicoot is easy as fuck until you decide to try and get the gems.
>>
>>2938497
The game is easy when it can work. Yes it is way easier than SMB2, but this game is broken.
>>
I agree OP. This game cannot be played.
>>
>>2938412
The poor design of artificial difficulty caused it to not age well yet despite this the prices are artificially inflated on ebay so it's best to just use the retroarch emulator with scanline filters and a buffalo controller.
>>
>>2938730
Fuck, I remember when someone said /vr/ didn't have any memes.
>>
>>2938730
It's best to play it with your wife.
>>
>>2938736
Just because something is a common topic of discussion doesn't necessarily mean it's a meme.

>>2938740
is an example of a meme.
>>
>>2938412
"2hard4me" =! unplayable OP
>>
>>2938826
It's pretty not great, dude.
>>
>>2938905
Did I say it was great, brah?
>>
>>2938768
>not a meme
Correct. All that is is what a bunch of retarded babies say.
>>
The only problem is the save system and that can be gotten around by simply not dying.
>>
>>2938412
get good
>>
>>2938590

Broken how? I'll give you the save system, that's really bad, but otherwise it's perfectly playable.
>>
I love this game. Star title of the PlayStation.
>>
>>2938430

Protips:

If you can't make out the depth of the 3D levels, just look at your shadow.

Always remember you have more control in mid-air in Crash Bandicoot than you think if you come from momentum heavy platformers.

Never spin right before landing on small platforms that causes Crash to lose grip in the first game. Other than that, Crash will never slip off a platform if you release the D-pad.
>>
When the game began development, nothing like it had ever been done before. It has several issues, sure, but they're acceptable teething problems given that it was conceived as the first 3D platformer.

Read Andy Gavin's blog about its development.
>>
>>2939598
>When the game began development, nothing like it had ever been done before

LOL, it's literally Donkey Kong Country with walking-into-the-screen segments

>it was conceived as the first 3D platformer.

I just got baited didn't I? You can't be this ignorant
>>
>>2939619
oh dear child
>>
>>2939619
It started development before SM64. And Mark Cerny is not Miyamoto, so he could not demand sony put an analog stick on their controller.

Basically, most of the reason this sucks.
>>
>>2939597
I'm not the OP, but thank you for actually being pleasant and contributing something worthwhile to the thread.
>>
>>2939743
>It started development before SM64
Mario 64 started in mid 1994, and Crash started in late 1994.
>>
>>2939597
I hope OP reads this, understands this and evetyally tries to get better. Crash Bandicoot is still an excellent game (if a bit easy) and well worth playing.
>>
What's up with kiddos shitting on games considered easy back then and making them appear as super hardcore experiences? first Sonic and now Crash. How inept do modern games makes you?
>>
>>2939849
Getting some of the gems is pretty hard but this game gives you an absolutely insane amount of lives, so you can just keep trying.
>>
>>2939858
Crash was actually one of the first games to implement difficulty scaling, if you die a lot, you get more platforms, more masks, and fewer enemy spawns.
>>
>>2939861
So kind of like rank in shmups, where the better you do the harder the game makes itself. It's interesting to see something like that applied to platformers.
>>
>>2939861
>Crash was actually one of the first games to implement difficulty scaling

Gods (1991)
Snatcher
Lethal Enforcers
Raiden
Battle Garegga
Gradius
X-COM
>>
>>2939903
"First" in comparison to the excessive use it sees in gaming today. Many of those examples are about eating quarters, too, they're the games getting harder the longer you stay alive to force you to put more money in. That's kind of the opposite style that Crash and recent games take, of making the game easier so you don't get mad and quit when you suck.
>>
>>2939905
>they're the games getting harder the longer you stay alive to force you to put more money in

No, all the games I mentioned are actually do detect if you suck at the game and make it easier (for a time anyway).
>>
>>2939598
Crash is many things but it absolutely is not a 3d platformer.
>>
>>2940025
It's a platformer and you move in three dimensions
>>
>unplayable
what.

It's just a shit game OP.
>>
>>2939905
>excessive use it sees in gaming today
Same seven examples with explanations, because I'm not seeing any of that except in The Last of Us which is prone to eventually skipping parts (and I'm 97% certain that's a checkpoint bug)
>>
>>2940036
Levels are hallways and the game doesn't take advantage of it's 3D. You can call it that to fit it in somewhere but it's really not a "3D platformer".
>>
>>2940073
(You)
>>
>>2940036
Pfft, hardly mate. You are guided down a thin, 1d rail with minimal movement in the x/y plane and a forward facing locked camera.

The game is a platformer and a 3D game, as in, it uses polygons, but don't conflate this into a 3D platformer.
>>
>>2940025

Why? Is this that le wall jump and ledge grabbing argument again?
>>
Crash is more of a 3D platformer than any N64 game.
>>
half of the people in this thread are saying crash isn't a platformer
and then that one guy is saying crash is more of a platformer than 'any n64 game'

what the fuck people, a platformer is a game wherein the primary focus is moving around, jumping and traversing terrain with a horizontal and vertical element
>>
>>2938730
You forgot Retron 5 you cuck!
>>
>>2940149
>>2940159
See
>>2940082
>>
>>2940082
>1d rail with minimal movement in the x/y plane

Full fucking retarded.

>forward facing locked camera

I've seen you completed the first level, good job.
>>
>>2940243
I've beaten all three games, but let's be serious here.

Let's take Crashs height to be the unit of measurement we're using to see relative level size.

The courses are on average like 5 wide and 3, maybe 4 high. They are around 200 - 300 long. These are 3D games with platforming. At most they are 2.5D platformers like LBP. They are definitely not 3D platformers.

>>2940243
>I've seen you completed the first level, good job.
Most levels have a forward facing camera, except the ones where they are literally side facing 2D platforming sections.
>>
>>2938412
you must be dense. the last island of this game is great. hard as balls, but awesome
>>
>>2940280

You are still not limited to one or multiple fixed paths of gameplay. You can move completely freely within the linear levels the game gives you. Even in quite a few 2D segments, you can easily go full retard and fall off in front of or behind the only tiny path you have.
>>
>>2940463
>You can move completely freely within the linear levels the game gives you.

I'll give you an analogy.

In Crash, you're basically an ant crawling along a thin wire from the beginning to the end of the level. The wire occasionally will fork into two wires, but it is still always a thin wire which the ant must traverse. The ant feels happy that he has total freedom. After all, he can sometimes make a choice when the wire forks which way to go, and he can crawl along the wire any way he pleases, either on the top of the wire or anywhere along the circumference.

Anyone looking at the ant would, I hope, realise that to suggest the ant is experiencing the full 3 dimensions of the world would be a grave over-estimation of the experience of the ant.
>>
Things I liked
>original tribal, industrial and castle themes
>boss characters and Tawna
>pure platforming bliss
>challenging

Things I didn't like
>feels like a frame or so of delay
>physics feel off compared to 2
>camera too far in some levels
>clear gem progress wiped if you die once
>save system is fucked
>one chance at bonus round

Verdict: good entry during the early 3D era, sequel has a lot of potential if they fix everything, which they did
>>
>>2938740
And her son?
>>
File: 1396966983521.png (62 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1396966983521.png
62 KB, 400x400
>backtracking parts
>>
>>2938412
It had to happen so we could get to 3 which is one of the best games on the system.
>>
>>2940938
That analogy is stupid because he already admitted they were linear levels but you didn't even read. And yet you posed another example from the very first level.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.