[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SNOWPOCALYPSE 2016!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 14
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
What are you playing this winter? Any goals to finally try, beat or 100% any games?

I am working on beating

Diddy Kong Racing
Pokemon Silver
Castlevania Rondo of Blood
Sonic 2 (never beaten a Sonic game before)
Xenoblade Chronicles
>>
Currently working on the Megami Tensei remake in Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei. Excited to start Pokemon Red on my New 3DS Pokemon Edition I have pre-ordered because I'm a fag (not sorry, will probably replay Soul Hackers on it too). I never have an urge to 100% games, I'm usually a credits and move on kind of guy unless I want to replay something.
>>
Recently finished DoReMi Fantasy and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, playing Paper Mario for the first time
>>
>>2935954
It's not retro, but I'm working through Drakengard[/ and the rest of the series, but then I'm moving onto Metroid, which I now realize only has 2 games which are considered Retro by the boards rules.

Then I might go for something like Onimusha, Faxanadu, or Clock Tower and Silent Hill.
>>
Let's keep it /vr/ in this thread folks, we are on /vr/ after all...

Anyways I'm working away at Crystalis and Bomberman 64. I'd like to beat a lot of NES and N64 titles overall this year, though I haven't settled on a to-do list of any sort.
>>
>>2936251
Metroid has three retro games dude... Metroid, Metroid 2, and Super Metroid.
>>
>>2936303
I mean he was only off by one... and it has more non-retro games than retro.
>>
i've got like 20+ games on my backlog idk what to play first
>>
>>2936303
>>2936356
fat-fingered the 2. I also missed my spoiler tags.

I'm also going to try and beat more random dungeon games, like clearing the Ancient Cave in Lufia 2 and Shiren the Wanderer/Torneko style ones/
>>
File: 454334.jpg (45 KB, 548x412) Image search: [Google]
454334.jpg
45 KB, 548x412
Just finished Beetle Adventure Racing on N64. Unlocked all the secret beetles and all the cheats / 2 player battle arenas (tfw will never have someone to 2 player with) and now not sure what I'm going to play next.
>>
>>2936236
I completely forgot about DoReMi, great platformer for SNES!
>>
>>2936395

ADVENTURE RACIIING!

Such an incredible game, possibly me of the best on the 64. I would be 2nd player bro, be proud you unlocked it.
>>
File: contra hard corps implying.png (144 KB, 636x477) Image search: [Google]
contra hard corps implying.png
144 KB, 636x477
Alright /vr/, this is it.

I'm going to be snowed in, my monday exam has been put off until later this week, and I have a slowcooker with 6 lbs of homemade chili going on.

This is the weekend I finally beat Contra Hard Corps.
>>
>>2936726
Looks great. I've only played the first Contra how does that compare?
>>
Playing and aiming to beat ocarina of time and banjo kazooie on the n64, really comfy playing either, i love both of them
>>
>>2936751
Tons of bosses. Almost a boss rush game, but not quite to the extent of Alien Soldier. Also hard as fuck, and no konami code to help you out

It has a cool branching storyline though, and you get to choose what pathways you want to go down.
>>
File: 851531540.jpg (62 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
851531540.jpg
62 KB, 600x450
Currently playing through Parodius Da! on the SNES and Parasite Eve on PS, the later which I never got around to finishing back in its day (I got stuck on Eve in Day 6). I'm thinking on tackling Legacy of the Wizard later on. I wanted to try to do a 1CC Hard playthrough of Art of Fighting on the PS2, but my Anthology disc doesn't work on the console (I think it's a SCPH-50001).
>>
>>2935954
Zelda: Minish Cap, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, and Majora's Mask
>>
File: pc-eninge-tg16-collection.jpg (937 KB, 1442x811) Image search: [Google]
pc-eninge-tg16-collection.jpg
937 KB, 1442x811
>>2935954
So similar to my PC Engine collection...
>>
>>2936987
>>2935954
jesus, why do you autists insist on taking a picture like this, just stack the games side by side and take a picture of the labels
>>
File: 1437221190679.jpg (8 KB, 299x302) Image search: [Google]
1437221190679.jpg
8 KB, 299x302
>>2937015
So people can see the artwork instead of just katakana and kanji?
>>
>>2937027

Boy, you guys sure love your kittycats.
>>
File: 1424701067168.gif (993 KB, 290x198) Image search: [Google]
1424701067168.gif
993 KB, 290x198
>tfw not gonna be snowing here anytime soon
I hate Oklahomo
>>
>>2936691
Thanks anon :')
>>
>>2937079

As a former resident, I sympathize.
>>
>>2937079
>implying that's a bad thing
Fuck snow, fuck ice, and fuck winter.
>>
>>2937234

This too, but I'm pretty sure there are better courses of action to cure your lust for hotter climes than moving to fucking Oklamahomo.
>>
>tfw South Florida
>tfw born and raised so a cold day here is a hot summer day for everyone else

Being an introvert I don't need snow to give me an excuse to sit inside and play games all day but I do want to explore my massive backlog of retro games, I just beat Rocket Knight adventures for the first time, then I wanted to get into Snatcher and then I'm not sure what else.

Maybe I'll fumble around with a Japanese dictionary and barely understand 1/4 words in an untranslated title I've wanted to play.
>>
File: sg6hzmusjytc5ngbs6fp.png (638 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
sg6hzmusjytc5ngbs6fp.png
638 KB, 800x450
Ultimate Doom + Doom 2
>>
>>2936726
I got Hard Corps for my birthday a few months back and can barely make a dent in it. Very tough game but the size of the bosses and attention to detail is incredible. The fact that you beat it is a feat, be proud /VR/!
>>
>>2936762
I recently 100% cleared Banjo, such an amazing game I never owned growing up. I have the second one cued up but haven't played it yet.

I actually heard an interesting comparison of Ocarina and Mystical Ninja staring Goemon on the 64. Both 3d adventure games on the 64, I was thinking of playing it again soon
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>2936768
I saw Parasite Eve on a list of good christmas games last month and was wanting to give it a shot. Maybe Christmas 2916 I will try it again, haven't played it since it originally released.

Parodius is amazing, of course. If you are into Konami shooters definitely check out hardcore gaming 101s Konami Shooters book. They have a detailed write up on every shooter they ever made, from Scramble to Otomedius. It's printed on real nice paper, similar to a bound graphic novel.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>2936987

That is a damn impressive collection, just getting into PC Engine myself, any suggestions? I've added a few since the top picture was taken but am always looking for more on PC Engine.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>2937015
Seriously bro, do you even Turbo? This art is amazing and needs to be shown.
>>
File: image.jpg (174 KB, 1024x643) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
174 KB, 1024x643
>>2937265
Have you played Sparkster? I am curious what other people think of that game. It got good scores back in the day... I can't get into it but absolutely LOVE Rocket Knight Adventure.
>>
>>2937272
Did you play that new Doom level John Romero made? I checked it out on YouTube, looked cool.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/15/10776094/john-romero-doom-level-free-download
>>
File: KingsField05.jpg (28 KB, 380x285) Image search: [Google]
KingsField05.jpg
28 KB, 380x285
Just finished the first King's Field. Pretty good, I wish it kept the initial difficulty level for the whole game though.
Want to go back to the Shiren the Wanderer and try to complete it this time, played it a year ago or something, but ended up autistically hoarding stuff and moved on eventually.
Also discovered that Armed Police Batrider is a great fun, despite scary things I heard about Yagawa's games. Maybe will try to 1cc it, at least the normal 5 stages mode, seems like it's not that hard.
>>
>>2937525
>Parodius is amazing, of course. If you are into Konami shooters definitely check out hardcore gaming 101s Konami Shooters book. They have a detailed write up on every shooter they ever made, from Scramble to Otomedius. It's printed on real nice paper, similar to a bound graphic novel.
I'm well familiar with Konami in general and their shooters, but I'm not really a fan of HG101. They get most of their shit wrong most of the time based on most of the articles I've read. Their knowledge is wikipedia-gleaned at best. I much rather just import old Japanese mags and guides instead.
>>
>>2937561

100 percenting super mario world then prolly back to earthbound its boring tho
>>
>>2937568
How far are you into Earthbound? When I first played it six years ago, that was my exact complaint with it, "boring". I got up to Threed and quit. Now I'm playing it again and I'm up to the same point, and I'm enjoying it a lot more this time. I love going out of my way to talk to NPCs. The low penalty for death gives the gameplay an addictive slot machine quality.

People sometimes talk about this being a game that you appreciate more the older you get.
>>
>>2937592
Not him, but I prefer Mother 1, although I'm not crazy about either of them, having played them following its internet cult following.
>>
>>2937535
Ah, you're off to a very fine start, anon! Honestly, there's just so much out there for the PC Engine!

I'd probably just keep buying those great shooters that never made it to the States. If you don't have one, get an Avenue Pad 6 and a copy of Street Fighter II'. I bought a brand new copy of SFII' for under $30 on eBay and it's one of my favorite ports of the game.
>>
File: master-of-monsters-usa[1].png (356 KB, 360x500) Image search: [Google]
master-of-monsters-usa[1].png
356 KB, 360x500
>>2935954
I wanted to cuddle up with my Gamecube but my games didn't arrive in time for this snowy east coast weekend. So sad.

In the meantime I discovered this Genesis game called Master of Monsters. It's been kind of fun except I suck dick at strategy and I'm pretty sure I don't understand the rules. Still, good battle graphics and a hella awesome concept.

Anyone else heard of it? Tips?
>>
>>2937568
>>2937592
>>2937632

I am mid Earthbound, about level 20-25 in the town with the crazy cultists. It's been fun so far but it is wearing on me, I have heard the story really picks up so maybe that will help me get through it.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.