[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You ever get good at the old bomb jump?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
File: Untitled.jpg (74 KB, 608x456) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
74 KB, 608x456
You ever get good at the old bomb jump?
>>
Man that area required some intricate bomb jumps for those card thingies.

To answer your question. No, I managed to beat the regular last boss but those damn jumps made me rage quit.
>>
>>2932634
I had too if i wanted to beat rainbow palace
>>
File: 64.gif (966 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
64.gif
966 KB, 500x359
>>2932634
The real pain was getting the gold cards for the big bosses.
>The whole Cerberus fight
Holy fuck, was that annoying.
>>
>>2933603
Chucking a big bomb into cockpit of Hades was fucking awesome though
>>
I've gotten pretty good at it.

It's actually amazing how getting good at this one technique opens areas up so much. Some levels you only see like half of what's there playing normally, bomb jump to secret areas though and you find tons of stuff.

Bomberman 64 is such a good fucking game.
>>
>>2934098
I agree. Bomberman 64 is totally unique, it's one of my favorite games of all time and I can't really think of anything like it.

Meanwhile people just talk about Bomberman Hero constantly
>>
Never got all custom parts but I did get all the golden cards.
>>
>>2934816
It's weird how second attack didn't quite feel like a sequel, even though it was.
>>
>>2934821
Second Attack almost doesn't even feel like Bomberman, even though it totally is
>>
Fuck this game and trying to get all the gold cards and trying to complete the game. Multiplayer was entertaining as shit though.
>>
>>2934098
>>2934816
My negroid brethren.

To this day I'm still missing quite a few of those ?-mark balloons that unlock multiplayer outfits. I love this game, so I think the only reason why I haven't looked it up online is so that I'll have something to do if I ever find myself stuck in a hospital bed killing time before I die.
>>
File: Hades_and_Orion.jpg (65 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Hades_and_Orion.jpg
65 KB, 1024x768
>>2935287
Suck it up.
>>
>>2934821
Second Attack is easily my favourite game of all time, there's really nothing else like it, although I adore 64 and hero as well.

God, 64's multiplayer was the best, wish we had more maps though.
>>
I have no idea how I managed to get everything in this game back in the day. Rainbow Palace is insane with all the bomb jumping and the boss fights are frustrating as hell to get all the gold cards.
>>
>>2935287
Man I played the FUCK out of multiplayer. Like every weekend after school we'd all get show up at my friend's house bringing our own controllers because he was the only one that owned the game. I ended up having my parents buy it for me a year later when he moved.

Good times.
>>
>>2936094
It's odd because as far as I can remember, 64 didn't have the standard grid-multiplayer that Bomberman is famous for.

The modes it did have were pretty fun though.
>>
>>2936182
What it did have was even better. There is no greater multiplayer humiliation than knocking a guy dizzy and then, instead of blowing his ass up, throwing him off the stage to his death while he helplessly mashes buttons and shakes his stick in protest.
>>
I can't play this game anymore after having played Generation.

...Shit, I just remembered I still haven't played Jetters.
>>
File: 1440645937660.gif (421 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
1440645937660.gif
421 KB, 700x525
>>2934816
>tfw lost my Bomberman 64 cart
>>
File: joycard64.jpg (176 KB, 534x566) Image search: [Google]
joycard64.jpg
176 KB, 534x566
>>2936291
>I can't play this game anymore after having played Generation.
Why? 64 is much better than Generation in my opinion. Not to say Generation is a bad game, but it pales in comparison.
>>
>>2935438
>Second Attack is easily my favourite game of all time

Nice to see someone else who appreciates it. Out of all the Bombermans I've played, I've always thought it had the best multiplayer. The matches in that game just get fucking insane, one person will have the grim reaper following them, someone will be a giant, one other person gets turned into a hamster, all while there's a tornado and missiles raining down and all the usual hectic action of a Bomberman game. And that description honestly wouldn't even be that crazy of a match, it would be one of the more mellow ones.

And that's not even getting into the co-op. It's my favorite puzzle-adventure game, and it manages to mix both those elements insanely well. Timing bombs against different enemies just feels perfect.

I mean, I get why some people don't like it. There's more story than usual for a Bomberman game, and that story is basically Power Rangers meets the Bible so it definitely appeals to a certain niche. But when I was a kid it was the greatest fucking thing ever, dunno how the plot would hold up if I played it again today. A lot of people also get turned off by the + shaped explosions, but once I got used to them I honestly liked them more than the circular explosions from the first B64. The ice bombs you get explode in a circle anyway, so that's kind of a moot point.

Took me years to 100% because some of those costume pieces are a bitch, but man did it feel good once I did.
>>
>>2936329
Isn't the going price for Bomberman 64 something like $20?

Just buy another copy man
>>
>>2936602
Man, couldn't have said any of that better myself. I must have been 9 or 10 when I got my copy of it and the story entranced me. Power Rangers meets the Bible is honestly a pretty good summary of it and the reveal that Bulzeeb is Regulus was icing on the cake. It was also the first game I remember playing that was "co-op", (I'd only had an NES with a handful of titles up until the N64) I'd always play Bomberman while my brother would play Pommy, all the screaming at eachother and strategizing on how to deal with enemies is some of the fondest memories I have of my childhood/gaming in general.

The multiplayer was incredible. It took my favourite elements of BM64's multiplayer and added on a ton of great features. I thought the grim reaper was the most hilarious thing ever too. The maps were all around more enjoyable having given up on the more complicated bridge-like multilevel stages that BM64 had several of, I remember countless matches on Island alone, and the absolute chaos that unfolded, throwing bombs from atop that palm tree. The CPU characters really gave multiplayer a lot of charm too - it seemed like my entire neighbourhood had a vendetta against the panda, we'd talk such shit at that poor creature and target him at the start of every match. All the game modes were great too, though I especially came to appreciate King & Knights over time.

I'd forgotten about the costume pieces! I really need to break out my 64 and do a 0 to 100% run of it, if a game ever deserved it, it was this...

I could hang myself over throwing out the box for it... At least I saved the manual, seems like a boxed copy is worth no less than $300 these days which is crazy.
>>
File: pommyur3.png (73 KB, 580x391) Image search: [Google]
pommyur3.png
73 KB, 580x391
Pommy was awesome.

I felt so accomplished getting the secret evolutions.
>>
>>2936706
Yeah, it's pretty great. For me and my friends it was that monkey cpu that was most fun to insult and destroy. Going through the multiplayer challenges was actually about as hard as the main game from what I remember, but unlocking that code that lets you play as the cpu characters was totally worth it.

My favorite multiplayer map was Crystal Palace. The ice physics on the floor makes matches so much more hectic, as does the elevated border around the floor if you can get yourself up there. The miniature city was also one I really liked.

One of my favorite aspects was how dangerous the levels get in the last thirty seconds. Falling blocks, floods, missiles, walls closing in. The skull item and the purple demon thing were great too.

For me the co-op provided a great game to play with my younger sister since Pommy couldnt die, so it didn't matter if she was bad at the game. Some of the costume pieces are pretty cool but good luck getting all of them, some are fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>2937172
Shit, that's an endearing family story. Did you also play Jet Force Gemini where she could be that little robot that shoots lasers?
>>
>>2937081
I'd forgotten about Pommy's evolutions too! I remember my brother and I were going for that T-Rex looking pommy with the horn but I don't think we ever got him that far.

This game had an insane amount of content for an N64 game, it wasn't even that late into the console's life either, it's a real shame that the game is so forgotten, it's easily some of the best the console had to offer...
>>
It was cool how like 80% of the game was essentially learning how to exploit the level design with weird bomb jumps.

I remember the bosses needing perfect timing to hit when they were vulnerable too, otherwise it wouldn't do damage. It really rewarded people who wanted to "break" the game.
>>
>>2938470
>It really rewarded people who wanted to "break" the game.
That's one thing that really sets Bomberman 64 apart, it pretty much invites you and teaches you how to break it. By the time you get most of the secrets in it you'll know how to do stuff you were never meant to do and how to get places you were never meant to be. There's no way they couldn't have been aware of this, so I have to think it was a conscious design decision. It really does add a lot to the game.

>>2937538
Never played Jet Force Gemini but I've heard it's good.

>>2938179
>it's a real shame that the game is so forgotten, it's easily some of the best the console had to offer...
I've always wondered why it wasn't more popular. The other two Bomberman games on 64 are pretty well liked, albeit not famous. Bomberman 64 seems the most popular out of the three and this is the direct sequel to that, but most people who played the first game don't even know this game exists. Was it just a complete lack of marketing?
>>
>>2938579
>Was it just a complete lack of marketing?
I'm leaning towards "yes". I loved Bomberman 64 and got it when it first came out. I didn't hear about Second Attack until someone mentioned it on /vr/ almost 20 years later. Shit, time really flew.
>>
File: Lilith_Avatars.png (14 KB, 336x113) Image search: [Google]
Lilith_Avatars.png
14 KB, 336x113
best girl
>>
>>2938579
N64 carts simply weren't selling much, so fewer were getting made. I think I remember hearing something about a natural disaster in Taiwan in the year 2000 that made the costs of rom chips soar.
>>
File: 43636752_p1_master1200.jpg (166 KB, 562x500) Image search: [Google]
43636752_p1_master1200.jpg
166 KB, 562x500
>>2938614
>The prices for TSA go for now
I can't justify paying over 100 dollars for one game, geez.
>>
>>2938579
I'm pretty sure Second Attack had an extremely limited print run
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.