[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything more retarded than wasting your whore life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
Is there anything more retarded than wasting your whore life getting good at a videogame only to watch the community die and move on in a couple years? Do you feel like a big fat failure?
>>
No, because I play games to have fun, not to participate in a community. The community is of secondary importance.
>>
I play games for fun shitbag

beating competition players in the arcade is just an unanticipated dessert
>>
There's a community?
>>
>he doesn't have an online rival
>he would never train to get better just because his rival is also doing so
must suck to be you, OP
>>
not really. I have a lot of hobbies that get me zero validation. its fun to just practice things and get good at them.

honestly, my solution to your problem is probably one you would really hate: Start playing a game sooner, and more often, so I can get good while there is a community to impress. Be glad I have a job and a life that prevents that
>>
File: tmp_8669-22010fl_lg-1063634622.jpg (78 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
tmp_8669-22010fl_lg-1063634622.jpg
78 KB, 700x700
A lot of people like to challenge themselves, not do it for social status.

Edmund Hillary climbed Mount Everest for the challenge... that's what a man does. Challenge even if it's a little retarded excites us.

That's why women don't understand hot sauce and camping.

OP, are you a woman?
>>
>>2931582
I don't know why but I've started to see this argument a lot recently. People using hours played as an insult and just generally hating on people that are good at video games. It's like there's only room for casuals or professionals.

Makes no sense to me. Some millennial gamer bullshit.
>>
>>2931706
People in general have a deep-rooted tribalistic, antagonistic mentality that makes them want to view themselves as superior and others as inferior. It shows itself in almost any activity we undertake, even something as trivial as video games.
>>
>>2931706
They're just bucketcrabs trying to advocate mediocrity.

Probably some Serbian or something, Americans are competitive at everything all the time.
>>
>>2931706
It's kind of how this guy put it:
>>2931694
Being a master of your "craft".

But your "craft" is pressing buttons in a video games. You're not even making them, you're just playing them. That's shit literally nobody cares about.

Are you going to put that in your memoirs? Being the best player of one specific game that nobody will be playing in 20 years?

That's great, you spent your life mastering something that literally does not fucking matter at all. It will never be applicable ever in your life. You are learning a "skill" that will never have practical use outside of this one setting. GG, keep reking those skrubs mlg pro.
>>
>>2931715
>That's great, you spent your life mastering something that literally does not fucking matter at all.

If it matters to the man in the mirror, that's all that matters.
>>
>>2931708
>>2931709
I see it in modern games all the time. Wont give any examples to avoid shitposting. People comment on my hours played fairly often in the past year or so. Never really had that happen and I've been playing PC games online since 98.
>>2931715
It's my hobby and some of the games I was actually really good at.

I'm not ashamed of being good at video games. Nor playing video games in my later 20s.
>>
>>2931723
I guess the issue comes when people start boasting about it like it's some sort of achievement. But if you're not, then good on you.

I think I misunderstood what the poster was getting at though. Hating on someone for "having no life" is just as pointless as praising them for "having no life".

It's a video game, who the fuck cares either way. But that's just me I guess. That's why I don't play competitive multiplayer games. I don't play video games to get caught up in that bullshit, I just want to have fun.
>>
>>2931730
Outside of their communities, when in your life have you heard someone boast about their SF3:3S abilities?

I've only know one person in college and it is one of these GAMERGRRRRRRRRRLZ that everyone had to know she was a "badass", until she decided to join the Marines randomly and abandon her career.
>>
>>2931739
Well, I'm not talking about this game specifically. My gripes are more with attitudes in competitive gaming, and e-sports in general (and the way people hold up the personalities within them). Things like MLG/the fgc. The "culture" surrounding these things is cringeworthy to me. Kind of makes me embarrassed to have the same hobby as these people.

When people start treating video game "skills" like they actually matter, it kind of rubs me the wrong way. So you're the best modern warfare player? Great, who the fuck cares.

It's hard to explain, and I'm sure that post didn't make any fucking sense.
>>
>>2931753
Are you 15 or something?
>>
>>2931761
No, I'm 21. I just don't like the concept of e-sports/competitive gaming.
>>
>>2931763
>21
That just as bad really. You grew up with that shit.
>>
>>2931763
How does a person who's an adult even casually participate in this shit if he isn't part of the community?
>>
>>2931865
You just play games on freetime really
>>
>>2931582
I got gud at 3rd strike in about one summer as a teenager. Op just sounds salty because he is a baddy.
>>
>>2931582
That's why you play the computer.
>>
>>2931730
A lot of these people with "no life" have traveled and made friends all the over the country. At the end of the day you got to remember it's a community. Why would these people regret hanging out with their buddies playing video games anymore then anybody else?
>>
File: 3s.jpg (277 KB, 1629x1113) Image search: [Google]
3s.jpg
277 KB, 1629x1113
>>2931625

yeah I think the second you decided you wanted to enter and keep up with the community at all is the time your life went to shit.

I still play all my old favorite fighters with my friends and have a grand time. Meanwhile the "Community" has sucked all the joy out of the whole genre and shits on everyone who doesn't want to memorize tier lists and frame data

and GOD FORBID you want to play a single player mode
>>
>>2931582
I couldn't say. I'm only 46 so very few of the people i grew up playing with in the community have died. Of course it will happen some day but there always seem to be youngns interested in quality old entertainment to carry on.
>>
>>2931582
I like to git gud, but I never try to get tournyfag good for this very reason.
>>
>>2932527

I just don't want to play with the tourney crowd. Putting all else aside they're just a pack of cunts
>>
>>2931715
>That's shit literally nobody cares about.
Tourneys and the ever growing interests in videogame in general already negates your statement.
>That's great, you spent your life mastering something that literally does not fucking matter at all.
So, you should only live your life and get good at something to please others instead of yourself? How much of a literal tool are you, son?
Or are you one of those young autistic STEMfags who thinks that only those who actively contribute to scientifical advancement and "human progress" are worth something?
>>
File: you wot.jpg (303 KB, 812x609) Image search: [Google]
you wot.jpg
303 KB, 812x609
This thread again?
>>
>>2931582
Git guud DSP
>>
Its ok to stop playing street fighter at 3rd strike because that is the pinnacle of the art form.
>>
>>2931582

There is still a community on Fight cade.
>>
OP, ever heard of GGPO or Fightcade?

The 3rd Strike room peaks over 100+ players daily.

I know because i am a 3rd Strike player and i play online almost everyday. My nick on Fightcade is Brazilian Kuroda.
>>
>>2931582
A lot of things.
>>
>>2932583
>Or are you one of those young autistic STEMfags who thinks that only those who actively contribute to scientifical advancement and "human progress" are worth something?
Unfortunately way too many people have that mindset. Just look at the political discourse when the economy comes up. They think of human life as a means to some end, be it making money, contributing to this or that, or whatever, and that those that don't pursue that end are thus worthless and deserve to be the butt of consonant hatred.
>>
>>2931634
>I play games for fun

But I have fun being a tournyfag
>>
>get btfo in a fighting game
>get online and start screaming about how everyone who likes them are idiots who are wasting their lives

Why is this such a regular occurrence?
>>
>>2931715
>But your "craft" is pressing buttons in a video games. You're not even making them, you're just playing them.
That same logic can be applied to musical instruments too
>>
>>2931582
I play Doom. I don't think its community even can die.
>>
>>2931715
>implying anybody said anything about craft

The guy likes putting a simulated obstacle in place that he can overcome with some effort, even if that effort is strictly timing based.

It's called playing a game.
>>
>>2934073
If you can't beat 'em, bitch at 'em.
>>
>>2934119
>getting good
>Doom
>>
>>2931582
>Stop deriving pleasure from a game!
As if you were an authority on such matters
>>
File: 1444936682685.jpg (311 KB, 736x940) Image search: [Google]
1444936682685.jpg
311 KB, 736x940
OP sounds like someone that sucks at video games and is bitter.

Lmao
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.