[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NES help/tips?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: nintendo-nes-console-2.jpg (197 KB, 1500x1207) Image search: [Google]
nintendo-nes-console-2.jpg
197 KB, 1500x1207
Recently got a hold of a relative old NES system, got some games for it from a place called GameOver games. system works wasnt stored in an attic or anything, but some games work fine right of the bat ex: Solar Jetman, but other games like The Immortal, after having to fiddle with the cartiridge, blowing into it, pushing up an down on nes cartridge arm, will look fine, but will freeze in a scene, or get random junk letter spawning across the screen, other errors include flashing red light, or power light on but gray screen, etc. i have heard blowing into it (cartridge) someone said use 70% rubbing alcohol and a Qtip on cartridge chip.(Havent tried yet) Any other tips? What about using canned air inside NES or or the game cartridge?
>>
>>2930612
The 72 pin connector on the original models bent from the pressure of pushing the games down over time, you can buy a replacement set online for quite cheap and they aren't hard to install. I would highly recommend a top loader eventually though, much more sturdy.
>>
>>2930612
Maintenance I've done on NES cartridges/system was checking the pin connector like >>2930628 said, and using Brasso and a rag on the cartridge to clean it up. I think the connector in mine was replaced before I bought it, so it works fine, just be prepared for cartridges to be picky about being put in or taken out, as they get stuck pretty often in mine and require some hard pulling to remove.
>>
Go with 90% alcohol instead of 70% or, if you have a Nintendo screwdriver (not the tri-wing bit but the other one), open up the cart and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser.
>>
In addition to these tips other anons have given, bypassing the lockout chip can also help with those stubborn games that don't want to work.
Some basic solderingbis required though, so I'd do this as a last resort.
>>
>>2930612
>i have heard blowing into it (cartridge) someone said use 70% rubbing alcohol and a Qtip
Use a very fine grit emery board. You know, for smoothing your fingernails. Swipe it back and forth a few times across the pins in the cartridge. I was wary at first, but the fine grit isn't enough to harm the pins, it just strips off the grit. Then do a few swipes with alcohol and a q-tip to clean it up. Works wonders.
>>
>>2930631
>using Brasso

I hope you're only using that shit as a last resort.

>>2930612
99% of the problems with your NES are going to be a bad connection on the 72-pin connector. A blinking power light is basically the console's "No cartridge inserted" warning, and a solid grey screen is "couldn't read anything". There are 2 aspects to that:

1. Your game is dirty. I've been able to get every game except maybe 2 clean by using 90%+ Isopropyl Alcohol and some Q-tips. If you're still getting shit on the Q-tip, there's still more to clean. There may be a bit of technique involved as well. Usually, I go back and forth a few times, and then go slowly down the connector in a clockwise motion, and then do it again in a counter clockwise motion, turning the Q-tip a quarter turn every time it gets too dirty.

2. Your 72-pin connector is being picky. This can happen for a number of reasons. #1 is you just don't have the game set quite right in your console. Try jiggling the cart all the way to the left or the right.

If that doesn't work, you can remove the 72-pin connector and boil it for a few minutes. There are guides online on how to do it. You can also adjust the screws on the loading mechanism. As a last resort you can buy a replacement, although I've held off due to tales of cheapness or death grip. Definitely don't throw the original away if you go that route.

Also, watch yourself with GameOver Game's prices. They'll rip you off on game prices.
>>
>>2930638
>Some basic solderingbis required though,
Nah, you just need to snap the right pin. Needlenose pliers work well.
>>
If you have a problem with a NES game, the first thing to do is blow into the cart. Like pretend it's a harmonica and just go back and forth once. I set up my NES recently and some games gave me blue screens or glitchy graphics, but blowing on the cartridge fixed them literally every time.

While we're on the subject, I noticed that sometimes if the controller is plugged in too tight, then all the controls seem to get mapped to the A button. Like in Donkey Kong, none of the other buttons worked, but Mario jumps and the game pauses simultaneously. I loosened the plug and it solved the problem. Does anyone know why this might happen, just for curiosity's sake?
>>
>game over videogames
sucks you overpaid. their cheapest games are smb/dh for the low goyim sum of $10
>>
Sell your gamepaks and buy a flashcart.
>>
I figure this is the probably the best place to ask. I have a copy of Dragon Warrior that I want to disassemble so I can clean it, but one of the screws is stripped to hell. Is there any way to remove it without damaging the cartridge case?
>>
>>2931774
Drill the head out.

Once the head is out the cart should be able to seperate, then you need to get pliers of some kind to get the remainder of the screw out of the threads.

Stripped screws are a massive pain in the ass. It honestly is probably worth your time to not even bother cleaning it and just get a new copy of Dragon Warrior since it's still cheap.
>>
Thanks for the tips they seem to work. Did have one problem with a game worked fine grpahics wise then litttle lines would appear in the game, then making it so bad the characters were like scattered blob, anyone ever have that issue?

Also, in terms of nes games where can I find cheaper? I found a site callled JJ Games, but according to multiple review they will rip you off.

In terms of a top loader Nes, what is suggested?

What about Roms? I used one called Nestor which seems to give me the least errors on its games, but the frame rate seems like it speeding up the game.
And with a SNES ROM I cant seem to play Mario paint with a lazer/optical mouse, anyone come across a solution for it?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.