[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good space exploration games on consoles? A game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: 25-best-space-games-ever-elite.jpg (18 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
25-best-space-games-ever-elite.jpg
18 KB, 500x375
What are some good space exploration games on consoles?
A game where i can just fly around and participate in dog fights, upgrade my ship, etc.
It seems that games like this are usually exclusive to PC but I'm hoping there's something close to that concept that was available on retro consoles.
>>
File: tumblr_nrlhxnBn661qitjzjo1_540.gif (718 KB, 540x680) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nrlhxnBn661qitjzjo1_540.gif
718 KB, 540x680
https://youtube.com/watch?v=nfwOuXPIhRM
>>
File: ridiculously happy.jpg (73 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
ridiculously happy.jpg
73 KB, 413x395
>>2926709
>>
File: Space Spartans.jpg (3 MB, 3366x2100) Image search: [Google]
Space Spartans.jpg
3 MB, 3366x2100
>>2926706
Space Spartans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR-4cvwR1sw
>>
>>2926706
Not for consoles, but the Escape Velocity series is really good and feels satisfyingly retro. I don't know if it ever got a PC port though, it was a rare mac exclusive.
>>
There are console versions of Elite, Starflight and Star Control 2.
>>
I think there was actually one on the Genesis, very primitive graphics, but rather cool for the Genny.

I think the PS1 actually had quite a few, like Darklight Conflict.
>>
>>2926706
Star Ixiom for PS
>>
NES Elite
Genesis Starflight
>>
>>2927661
why would you recommend NES Elite? The framerate is abysmal and the controls are convoluted
>>
>>2928560
Because OP is looking for console games and the NES is a console.

Because nobody made Elite for the SNES or Gen or PSX or whatever.

Because Ian Bell (who fucking wrote the game) thinks the NES version is great.

Because the NES version looks better than most of the microcomputer versions.

I actually like the NES controls. Two buttons and a D-Pad, consistent interface. Much easier than emulating old microcomputers with their fucked up ancient moon keyboards.
>>
>>2928640
>Because Ian Bell thinks the NES version is great.
citation needed

>Because the NES version looks better than most of the microcomputer versions.
subjective

>Much easier than emulating old microcomputers
Only that the game was designed for a full keyboard. The menu bar in the NES version is crudely emulating an F-key row
>>
>>2928652
>citation needed
http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/index.htm
>The best conversions were for the Nintendo Entertainment System and the Acorn Archimedes.
>>
The SNES had Wing Commander but that is more like space combat I guess.
>>
>>2928707
>Acorn Archimedes
What the fuck is that? Crazy 80s British computing...
>>
>>2928718
I wish they'd done a SNES port of Privateer.
>>
>>2928816
Pretty much every cpu in a modern smartphone or tablet in the world today is an ARM chip that traces its roots back to that system.
>>
>>2928831
wing 1 was best on 3D0
>>
Do any of the Star Trek games fall into that category?
>>
>>2926706

Solar Jetman for the NES. You explore planets to find cargo and riches, and then use the money to upgrade your ship. You fight enemies, but some planets have crazy gravity and you're more likely to die from that.
>>
It's not space, but SeaQuest DSV allows great underwater exploration.

How about Colony Wars on PS1?
>>
>>2928816
A system better than overhyped shite they made in America. It had anti-aliased text in 1989. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS#Font_manager PC/Mac didn't have that until 2000/1
>>
File: Solar_Jetman_1.png (5 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
Solar_Jetman_1.png
5 KB, 320x200
>>2931440
This
>>
Sub Terrania on Genesis, kinda similar to Solar Jetman, but different.
Wing Commander on SNES
Wing Commander 3 and 4 on PS1
>>
Frontier: Elite 2
>>
>I'm hoping there's something close to that concept that was available on retro consoles.

When I was a kid I would just chill with the space exploration/dogfight parts of this game and not bother with the shmup parts.
>>
>>2926754
Escape Velocity Nova had a port and there are mods that recreated the first two games campaigns in it's engine.
>>
>>2938209
Meaning the Amiga CD32 port
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.