[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Final Fantasy VII
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Final Fantasy VII.jpg (153 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Final Fantasy VII.jpg
153 KB, 800x600
What's the definitive version of Final Fantasy VII? I recently bought the game during a PSN sale, but I researched the game a bit more and now I'm not sure which version to play.

Apparently the Steam/PC version looks better, but the music is fucked up. There's a PS4 port that I know nothing about. And there's a retranslation patch for the PSX/Steam versions because apparently the original translation is bad? Not sure which one to go with here, anyone more knowledge want to chime in?
>>
Emulate it. the Steam version has DRM bullshit.
>>
>>2923907

I believe the PSN version is just an emulation of the original game, right? If so, play that.

Otherwise, emulate the PS1 version on PC. Don't worry about translation patches. The original translation isn't the best, but it's so well known and endearing that you should experience it at least once.

Don't play it at a ridiculously high resolution. It will look strange. 4x the original resolution at the max.
>>
>>2923907
>music fucked up
It's MIDI, so there are options to make it sound better. They were Yamaha XG optimised I believe.
>>
>>2923945

The original PS1 version actually uses midi, too. The files in the PC version are the exact same files that are on the PS1 disc. The default Microsoft soundchip just doesn't sound as good as the PS1 soundchip. I'm sure there's a way you can make your PC output midi to sound the same as PS1, though.
>>
Hey Kids! Wanna feel like a big OP with a successful thread? Start an FF7 thread for a guaranteed 100 replies!
>>
>>2923954
There used to be a Yamaha soft synth that would have been excellent for music playback, but alas, it works only up to Windows XP I believe. Microsoft's GM solution is a weak soft synth copy of the Roland Sound Canvas.
>>
File: 88036Y.jpg (56 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
88036Y.jpg
56 KB, 420x420
Any version except Steam is fine. Why anyone would pay for a re-release of the PC version with added DRM is beyond me. The only major difference between console and computer is that the computer versions all use shitty MIDI music, which can easily be addressed with third-party patches.

I'm not clear on which versions fix which bugs or translation errors though. Someone else may want to comment on that. Does ANY version fix the Spirit bug?

The only version I own and play is the International edition for PS1, which is import only. I grabbed it because I was curious about the changes that were backported from the English version. So far, it looks like International patched a few bugs out, but I still have no idea about the Spirit bug.
>>
>>2923945
>>2923954
>>2924008
The current Steam version replaces the pc midi nonsense with the original ps1 soundtrack and actually looks quite nice in hd. Drm was never a problem for me, didn't even realize it had it tbqh.
>>
>>2924015

Well, like I said, the original PC release does have the original soundtrack. The exact same .midi files. I haven't played it, but I imagine that the Steam version comes with mp3s of how those midi sounded with the PS1's soundchip.
>>
>>2924008
>The only major difference between console and computer is that the computer versions all use shitty MIDI music, which can easily be addressed with third-party patches.

They both use .midi.
>>
>>2923963
You're a fucking faggot.
>>
>>2924089

Hello, /v/ and/or /b/ user! Welcome to /vr/. We try to refrain from such insults here. Enjoy your stay. :-)
>>
>>2924089
Oh it's a cute little teenager folks, he is edgy
>>
The big thing about FF7 (and most JRPGs of that era) is that it uses prerendered backgrounds, which means that if try to render it above 240p you end up with an ugly mix of crystal clear character models and heavily pixellated backgrounds. Ideally you should play it on a PS1/2 hooked up to a CRT.

Since you already bought it off PSN, I'd just go ahead and stick with that. If you play it on your PS3 on a HDTV you'll have to get used to both models and backgrounds being heavily pixellated since it's a 240p image being upscaled to 1080p but it's the lesser of two evils. If you have a PSP or Vita it should look pretty good thanks to the smaller screen. Don't try hooking your PS3 up to a CRT, it can only go as low as 480i and the flickering will give you eye cancer (using component cables to get 480p might produce a decent looking image but I haven't tried it).
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.