[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Port vs Port
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: SFAGBC.jpg (31 KB, 369x285) Image search: [Google]
SFAGBC.jpg
31 KB, 369x285
ITT discuss games that have ports on multiple platforms, which versions are worth playing and why. Remember, the most powerful hardware =/= the best version of a game.
>>
>>2922447
THE ALPHA 2 PORT ON SNES IS SHIT

PSX ONE HAS MISSING FRAMES SO FUCK THAT

SATURN ALL DAY NIGGA
>>
Now the one I personally wanted to discuss was Dragon Spirit. I expanded the thread to the more general topic because it could be interesting.

Anyway, today I picked up Dragon Spirit for NES even though I already have the TG-16 version. Normally I don't get more than one version of any game unless I absolutely love it but it was cheap so I figured why not. It controls a littler better, has more levels & cinematics between them but I do love the way TG-16 games look & sound. Are both worth keeping or should one just be weeded from the library?
>>
>>2922456
Correct Saturn AND you ideally want the one that came in a double pack with SSFII because it has Cammy as a secret character whereas standard SFAII for Saturn does not.
>>
>>2922463
I disagree, although Cammy was a neat addition. I did not like the fact that custom combos costed 1.5 of the special meter instead of just 1.

>>2922459
I never played Dragon Spirit, so I can't give you an opinion. Sorry

To continue on this subject I can think of two arcade games that had superior home console ports.

>Turtles in Time
>Soul Calibur
>>
>>2922629
Ninja Gaiden is arguably better on NES than the arcade version. But then the SMS Ninja Gaiden is better than the NES version. However they aren't really ports of the same game so..
>>
>>2922463
>>2922629
Alpha 2 Gold kinda sucks. The addition of Cammy isn't even that great, considering you can only use her in Versus and Practice modes. The original SFA2 was the better game.
>>
>>2922650
There's TG-16 version.
>>
>>2922629
Turtles in Time has better combat on SNES, but it's worse than the arcade in everything else.
>>
>>2923986
Isn't combat what you're looking for out of a beat 'em up?
>>
>>2924163
Yeah, but since the SNES port still doesn't have a fantastic combat, i'd say the eye-candy of the arcade compares well since it's more of a party game.
>>
>tfw when no one knows the proper definiton of port
>>
>>2923960
TG-16 remake is underrated

Most people have an issue with the music, it's different but just as good

People who can't beat nes ninja gaiden should try it remake, enemies and the
final boss are much less aggressive

Master system ninja gaiden is decent, but not great
>>
>>2922447
Street fighter II:champion edition is best on Turbografx

But turbo is best on Genesis, and super is best on Snes
>>
>>2922447
Mega man Wily wars has the best version of mega man 1. Music is comparable

Wily wars 2 and 3 are harder than even the original difficult modes, and music is worse
>>
>>2924595
>super is best on Snes
NO SPECIAL BAR
SPECIAL
P
E
C
I
A
L

B
A
R
>>
>>2924595
also NO AKUMA

A
K
U
M
A
>>
>>2924604
mega man 3 is actually pretty damn good on the Megadrive

2 is meh, unfortunately
>>
>>2924590
It's not the music, it's the awful stuttering parallax scrolling that is really ugly and distracting that makes the TG-16 port of Ninja Gaiden not worth playing over the NES version.
>>
>>2924604
I heard that Wily Wars has some sort of weird input lag in the controls? I've never tried this out personally since I don't have a genesis everdrive. Any truth to this?
>>
>>2926267
It does have massive amounts of slowdown, which is made even worse due to being european exclusive and therefore 50hz.
>>
>>2926284
Isn't there a 60hz jap version?
>>
>>2924614
>>2924616
Super is a different game from Super Turbo. Super never had either of those things.
>>
>>2926249
only half the levels have that issue

some of the nes levels have really ugly backgrounds, 5-3 for example
>>
>>2926293
yes. It's called "Rockman Mega World"
>>
>>2922447
A few that I'm curious about:

>Final Fight
>NBA Jam
>Shin Megami Tensei
>>
File: 1452292476207.jpg (44 KB, 562x559) Image search: [Google]
1452292476207.jpg
44 KB, 562x559
>>2924357
>mfw people still don't know what tfw means.
>>
>>2928429
>Final Fight
Arcade is by far the best, but there are some decent ports.
X68K is the best port, it looks, sounds and plays very faithful to the arcade, the only problem is the 4 enemies on screen limitation.
Second best port is Final Fight CD, it's quite similar to the X68K port but with worse graphics, redbook music and a Time Attack mode. It has an annoying problem though, the combo speed is slower which fuck up the combat a bit.
Then you have the SNES and GBA port that are very unfaithful to the arcade gameplay-wise. SNES port is kinda "Final Fight lite". GBA port is the same SNES port but with more enemies on screen, and the missing content from the SNES version.
>>
>>2924614
>>2924616
fucking idiot
>>
>>2928498
It's true though, the snes version is disgusting.
>>
I might be talking out my ass but the snes version of super is missing the super bar, the akuma fight might also be missing the turbo settings and has random slowdown pop up during matches. Not to mention squishy redrawn sprites to fit the lower resolution. No reason to pick it up over MAME or the playstation compilations unless you're a collector.

Is this better now you fucking autists?
>>
>>2928565
I'm not sure if someone told you this before but ssf2 and ssft are different.
Do you hate that street fighter 2 only had 8 characters in it also?
If you wanna call people autistic at least be right about it so you don't seem stupid also.
>now watch the obligitory "I was only trolling post"
>>
>>2928649
I didn't know ssf2t came out on snes, my bad then.
>>
SNES Killer Instinct is better than the arcade in everything except graphics and sound (which are still boss for a SNES game).

Better balance, fixed glitches (infinites, etc), plus the usual console version extras like tournament and practice mode.
>>
>>2928653
Happens, but please I don't like people raging to others and that would've caused a ton of it.
>>
nba jam tournament edition on snes is awesome
>>
Saint Dragon on the Amiga >>>>>>>>rest
>>
>>2928457
>tfw when you're a faggot
>>
>>2928660
oh the nostalgia
>>
>>2931474
Must be hard to function with so much brain damage.
>>
Mario all stars is a superior port of all those NES games, apart from the graphics, the save function is greatly appreciated.

I also prefer the NES port of the tmnt arcade game for the extra stages. Though I might be heavily biased due to nostalgia and not having arcades closeby.
>>
>>2932752
>Mario all stars is a superior port of all those NES games, apart from the graphics, the save function is greatly appreciated.
Didn't the All-Stars versions of Super Mario 1 and Lost Levels fucked up the physics?
>>
File: 145057-566642_6289.jpg (188 KB, 660x960) Image search: [Google]
145057-566642_6289.jpg
188 KB, 660x960
I personally liked Wonderswan Color rearranges of Final Fantasy IV, they sound nice.
Anyone to have similar opinion?
>>
>>2922447

I prefer Strider on the Genesis to the arcade version for few reasons. First the sprite of the main character is slightly redesigned and in my opinion it looks better. Also the music was rearranged and it's more engaging.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.