[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's say theoretically, I wanted to buy a neo geo. Tell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 6
File: neogeo.jpg (160 KB, 1024x805) Image search: [Google]
neogeo.jpg
160 KB, 1024x805
Let's say theoretically, I wanted to buy a neo geo.

Tell me absolutely everything I would need to know about the console itself, the games, controllers, etc...

Because that's a shitload of money to spend on a toy.
>>
>>2920497
Step 1: Avoid the AES completely
Step 2: Buy a Neo-Geo CD, or a consolized MVS
Step 3: Buy a MVS Multi-cart

You get access to almost the entire library of Neo-Geo for less than the price of an AES Metal Slug.
>>
>>2920497

Don't buy one. Spend it on a hooker instead.
>>
>>2920497
honestly if you've got that attitude (not saying its a bad thing there's just going to be alot of moments where you're going to have to fork out money whichever way you go) I would just emulate. But if not do what this guy >>2920502 said (although I would stay away from the NGCD)
>>
>>2920548
Why should I avoid the NGCD?
>>
>>2920591
Not him, but from what I understand loading times are atrocious.
>>
>>2920505
This. All the hookers I know already have Neo Geos.
>>
>>2920596
I thought I wouldn't mind the load times but they really do affect the gameplay in a big way.
>>
>>2920591
Also cd laser assemblies die :(
>>
>>2920624
>>2920596
I wonder if anyone has done a mod to replace a laser assembly with a more modern one with a higher read speed
>>
It's one of the systems people should emulate unless they're affluent hardcore fans.
>>
I'd love to own a Neo Geo, but I just don't want to go down that rabbit hole. You know all the games are balls-to-the-wall expensive, so you just say "okay, I'm buying the system and just this one game". But then you get that feel of everything you're missing out on from this system you already own. You'd probably be sadder than had you never even bought one at all.

Luckily I'm okay with ports and emulators
>>
>>2920628
There is a model that uses a 2x CD-ROM instead of the default 1x, but it was Japan only.
>>
File: neo.jpg (39 KB, 600x339) Image search: [Google]
neo.jpg
39 KB, 600x339
>>2920651
I was really looking forward to pic related. Absolutely gutted when it turned out to be an absolute bag of shite. Would've been the perfect middle ground. Anyone know if the sticks are at least usb?
>>
>>2920676
But I'm wondering if you can do a DIY replacement along those lines, or if you HAVE to get the one from japan (CDZ, right?) if you want decent loads.

And even then, the load times are still pretty bad.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-16-07-42-41.png (463 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-16-07-42-41.png
463 KB, 1440x2560
Kek
>>
There's a couple of CD only games.

There's a memory card that lets you transfer data from your console to an arcade unit and vise versa.
>>
>>2920772
I knew it was kinda bad, but after reading this it seems really like hot garbage. Those cheeky cunts having the guts to sell it for $200 is infuriating.
>>
>>2920497
The controllers are rugged with cherry switches
Come with a memory card that looks like a credit card for saving games at home or in the arcade.
Necessary games: Crossed Swords
Jap version of Last Resort
Metal Slug 3
Samurai Shodown 2
Blazing Star
KoF 98
Pulstar
Baseball Stars 2
Mark of the Wolf
Magician Lord
Avoid the Neo Geo CD
Neo Geo AES was the Rolls Royce of gaming in the early 90s. Despite having one as a kid, it didn't get me extra pussy.
>>
>>2920779
Viewpoint was also fun
>>
>>2920776
What games use the memory card?
>>
>>2920784
Samurai Showdown RPG I think
>>
>>2920784
Only a handful of games don't work as far as I can tell.

Bust-a-Move Again
Neo Bomberman
Pop 'n Bounce
Shock Troopers
Shock Troopers 2
The Irritating Maze
Pochi & Nya

It's mostly used for saving progress, but a couple of games save your high score to it.
>>
>>2920502
Why should I avoid the AES?
>>
>>2920679
> Anyone know if the sticks are at least usb?
they are
they are not as solid as the originals though
>>
>>2920886

exact same games for like 5x the price.
>>
>>2920502
Also.
Step 4: Wait until a Neo Ever Drive for both AVS & MVS are made, it's only due time.
>>
>>2921095
Yeah, and it would only cost around 10,000$
>>
>>2920776
How can the NG CD even use a memory card? There isn't even slot for it.
>>
I'm thinking about getting an AES. I really like the design and it's the only console I'd really like to collect to.

what should I know? should I get a Japanese or American one?
>>
>>2920497
Do you like subpar fighting games with dead communities? If not just emulate.
>>
>>2921921
>subpar fighting games

dynamite fishing is bad for coral reefs, you know.
>>
Big boy collectors buy the AES version. You will love it. Trust me
>>
>>2921130
It has an internal memory chip which holds as much as one memory card.

Since most games just save high-scores it will be long time before you fill it.
>>
File: MVS-2-25b.jpg (18 KB, 250x436) Image search: [Google]
MVS-2-25b.jpg
18 KB, 250x436
>>2921914
prepare to spend $200 and upwards (some games go for $20 000 no really) for games just because you like the shiny box. Pic and a 161 in 1 would be a much better option
>>
>>2922323
This guy's right, no game is worth that price tag. A consolised MVS might be your best option. You can even get one that looks like an AES but made of walnut.

IF you get an AES then get a NA one unless you want to install the US bios or unibios into a Japanese one. It doesn't matter which region the games you buy are from because they will play in English or Japanese based on the bios in the console.
>>
>>2922323
I know it's superficial but I like the AES itself. it's not about the games, but owning the console and cartridges.

I could emulate most, if not all neo geo games and get better results anyhow. it's not like I'm dying to play Metal Slug X. it's really just about playing Metal Slug X on an AES.

I'd like to know the specs, dos and donts. I already know they're region free and that I should get unibios. what I don't know is stuff like any AES above 85.000 having poorer image quality.
>>
>>2922378
if you don't care about playing the games on real hardware why blow ~$500 minimum? Get out of here stalker!
>>
>>2920497
If you really wanna do this, you are better off buying an arcade cab and go the MVS route.

You could also mdo your mvs board with the universal chip that allows you to use cheats.
>>
>>2921095
Neo-Geo Flashcarts exist.
They just have the same compatibility issues as multi-carts.

So you won't be playing Windjammers and shit on it.

Theres a reason the flashcart never took off for the neo-geo, it's just more economical for the multi-carts.
>>
>>2922378
You should just go to a dedicated Neo-Geo forum to get these answers.

It's all documented. 4chan is mostly just for faggots to shitpost.
>>
>>2922457
Link?
>>
>>2922378
As I said, you can get an consolised MVS that looks essentially exactly like the AES and get shockboxes for MVS carts with artwork inserts so it will look exactly the same on your shelf
>>
>>2922479
No one makes them because the multi-carts exist.

Just buy a fucking multi-cart.

>>2922484
>Japanese version of game
>50 bucks
>USA version
>100 bucks
>shock box + insert
>12-15 dollars

No one gives a shit because the BBC's are just that, Big black carts. The MVS is completely region free.

I can understand wanting English labels if you didn't have shockboxes, but if you're buying shockboxes then the japanese or even better, label-less version are significantly cheaper because dingus' don't even know.

>>2922378
You can get consolized MVS' that look like the AES. I agree the AES is a nice looking system, but unless you're a millionaire I'd just go with the MVS instead.

Hell, buy a cab. Cabinet is fucking great and fun to play on.
>>
>>2920779
Adding:

Neo Turf Masters
Neo Drift Out
Windjammers
Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-move (1 or 2)

Otherwise solid choices. Crossed Swords is pretty underrated.
>>
>>2922516
>Neo Turf Masters
My nigga
>>
>>2920502
>Step 2: Buy a consolized MVS
>Step 3: Buy a MVS Multi-cart

This right here tells me you don't have a fucking clue. Google multicart support.
>>
>>2920505
As a former AES, CD-Z and MVS owner I must say that this is sound advice.
>>
>>2920886
There weren't very many people who would pay $200 per game for a $650 console in the early 90's. Meanwhile, every mom and pop restaurant had an MVS.
>>
>>2923536
>>2920505
>spending your money on something you can only use once
>>
>>2920778

It's just a knocked off version of FBalpha that emulates the games that come as ROMs, with all the problems that come with inaccurate emulation. The docking station is a sick joke, the handheld has an HDMI out itself and the dock just opens up and leads the signal through a 3.5 jack port.
Would be ok for maybe 50 bucks.
>>
>>2922457
>So you won't be playing Windjammers
>tfw Windjammers got a Wii VC port (exclusive to Japan)
>it got pulled out in 2010 and there's no dump of the official wad only injects
Feels bad
At least, I found an official wad of Waku Waku 7
>>
>>2922493
Where's the best place to buy the boxes
>>
>>2924537
done spoon feeding kiddo, its time to use google.
>>
>>2923608
can anyone send me to a tutorial on how to use wads/injects. it sounds really complicated
>>
>>2924565
Just use fbalpha on retroarch. It's much easier and doesn't risk bricking your console.
>>
>>2924551
i'm not op and at least the last time i looked they were out of print and you could only pick them up second hand.
>>
>>2920679
i have one of these, and it's really not as bad as all the reviews, especially after the update, the ashens review is what started the downfall of the system.
though it isn't perfect, it's still fun, which is the point.
>>
>>2920591
because they are unreliable trash and the versions of the games are gimped.

>>2920683
no one has done it because there are hardware bottlenecks beyond the drive/lens assembly.

>>2920886
because the games are smaller in quantity and higher in price. most MVS versions of games sell for like 1/10th the cost of the AES version.

>>2921095
>>2921112
It's coming, Darksoft is working on it.

>>2921921
a-cho would disagree with you on this

>>2922457
flashcarts don't exist for neo geo. unless you're talking about the old-ass MGD, which isn't a flashcart.

multicarts do exist, however.

>>2922476
he really shouldn't do that, because dedicated neo-geo forums are full of autistic manchildren.

>>2923481
multis work just fine on AES & MVS.

source: I have both and a multi

>>2924537
google "shockboxes"
>>
I'm just echoing the other guys ITT and saying avoid the AES unless you're willing to spend thousands and thousands of dollars.

There's a lot more information to absorb, but I'd also recommend doing your homework and doing the consolization yourself.

The research is honestly the hard part. If you get the right board, you can do it without any soldering (or very minimal soldering can save you some money).

If you treat it like a hobby project and plan properly, shop carefully, and are patient.. you can do it for ~$400 for everything including one of those 161-in-1 multicarts that going to have 95% of anything you'd ever want to play on it.
>>
anyone know where i can get the 60-in-1?
>>
>>2924630
Ebay.

If you're not comfortable with Ebay, I know you can get them from DHgate as well.

fyi, it's 161 in 1 (which will be important for searching). I've also seen a 131 in 1 but they seem way less common.

The 161 in 1 is ~$100 shipped
>>
>>2924667
>DHgate
I already have the 161, i want the 60 in 1 because it has games that aren't available/are broken on the 161.
>>
>>2924667
the only place i've ever seen the 60 in 1 is in this video. btw you can get the 161 on alixpress for ~60
>>
>>2924680
>this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qbxSFNnorI
>>
>>2923582
Still the better experience. Because when you collected some games and start playing, you realize that most of the good games have an OK-ish to Good port on another system... And there are loads of lame titles for Neo Geo.
>>
>>2925198

No one suggested you play Tecmo's World Soccer , Stakes Winner or Legend of Success Joe ya pleb.
>>
>>2924587
I bought an AES system from eBay some years back, and only have two games for it. Where can I get a multicart for it, and which one is best. Until now, I thought that the multicarts were only for MVS systems. Thanks for all your help.
>>
>>2920497
There's nothing you need to know. You want a toy that costs a lot and really can't be justified unless muh collecting. Just get your wallet out and bend over.
>>
>>2925252
sorry bro but I don't think that guy you quoted knows what he's talking about. You need a ~400 adapter to use any mvs cart on an aes and apparently even then multicarts don't always work properly :(
>>
>>2925327
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqsmI5A5KbM
>>
>>2924580
Ah, good to know.
Still a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a glorified emulator though.
>>
Are the Fatal Fury, KOF and Art of Fighting games graphically better on the NGCD then the Saturn/PS1?
>>
>>2923582
That's what the chains in the basement are for.
>>
>>2925327
>tfw own a Neo-Geo MVS cabinet
>tfw don't own a single fighting game because most fighters are lame
>>
>>2926104
Most beat em ups are lame
fighters at least give you decent controls
>>
>>2925981
they look better in the saturn.
>>
>>2926114
I own one beat em up and it came with my machine: Sengoku 3.

I like the puzzle games, I like the run and guns like Metal slug and shock troopers, it's also got some fun sports games like neo drift out, neo turf masters, windjammers and some unique games like Crossed Swords already mentioned itt.

I will eventually pick up a couple fighters, but I genuinely don't enjoy the genre.
>>
>>2923608
http://www.wiiuiso.com/archive/index.php/t-345941.html

Is this what you're looking for?
>>
>>2926126
i liked sengoku 3 a lot as a kid!
about fighting games once you know the basics it can be fun but yeah its not for every1 i personally like them but not enough to play everyday
>>
>>2925252
>>2925381
I do know what I am talking about

the multis work on AES with an adapter, which I didn't mention. The adapters _don't_ cost 400, they cost around 200.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-New-For-NEO-Super-SNK-MVS-Convertor-Plus-2011-Version-Card/1715895018.html
I realize this listing says they don't work, but they do. I have a 100-in-1 and a 131-in-1 and they both work fine. The 131 bugs out sometimes on certain games (mostly hacks), but is generally usable.

They don't really make the 100in-1 anymore but Excellentcom seems to have it:
http://www.excellentcom.net/detail.asp?catid=47169&subcatid=0&pdtid=307153&private=

Also note that compatibility can vary based on your console SN (lower # is better) and whether or not you're using a PSU with the converter (use one).

Best of luck to you
>>
File: rsz_20160118_224907.jpg (1 MB, 3984x2241) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20160118_224907.jpg
1 MB, 3984x2241
>>2926224
Thank you so much, for once again taking the time to help me. I have included a picture of the serial on the bottom of my Neo Geo. Can you glean any info from it? Are the compatibility issues you mentioned for the AES to MVC adaptor, or for the multicarts? Do you think my system will be okay? Thanks again!
>>
>>2925981
the saturn ports will load quicker but they'll loose frames
>>
>>2926131
Not op but I was looking! Works great, maybe even better than the official wad with the cheat menu. Inf round time is a must.
>>
>>2927657
This... generally isn't true. Most of the Saturn ports use either a ROM cart or a RAM cart and are closer to the AES/MVS than the Neo CD

>>2927505
91-92K isn't too high, but you might run into issues. the problems are with both the converter (china shit) and the multis (china shit).

System should be fine but I can't really promise anything. Best advice I can give it try to use a factory power supply, or if you have to use aftermarket, get one that outputs at least 1.5-2A (more is better, since the converter will increase power draw/load).
>>
>>2930023
How so? I thought the Neo Geo CD is just the Neo Geo games + Redbook audio?
>>
>>2930023
the only drawback for the neogeo cd is loadtime + cd rather than board generated sound (whether this is bad is debatable). The saturn ports are graphically inferior (though is some cases really close) to the mvs whilst the NGCD is the same except it takes a while to load/the music is prerecorded.
>>
>>2925206
More like The Art of Fighting series.
>>
>>2930023
Once again, thank you Anon. Could you tell me where to get a factory power supply? Is that just another AC adapter for a NeoGeo, or is it something entirely different?
>>
>>2931331
>not liking Art of Fighting
>>
>>2930254
>>2930123
the neo cd versions are typically missing frames of animation, missing effects and/or have smaller sprites than their cartridge equivalents

>>2931428
factory == oem == original
>>
File: carts.png (44 KB, 1433x562) Image search: [Google]
carts.png
44 KB, 1433x562
>>2924587
>>multis work just fine on AES & MVS.
>>source: I have both and a multi

>confusing a multicart with all multicarts
yeah no, there are a number of compatibility issues that need addressing for different carts and unless you're going to explain them to someone, don't go claiming they work 'just fine'.
>>
>>2935767
I was very specific about WHICH carts in a followup post, moron. see >>2926224

I also acknowledged in same post that the 131 has weird bugs.

yes I was overly broad, but they generally work fine. the only one that is completely broken is the 150-in-1

stop being a pussy
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.