[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting back into emulation, and curious as to what your hidden
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9
File: SNES.jpg (9 KB, 299x239) Image search: [Google]
SNES.jpg
9 KB, 299x239
Getting back into emulation, and curious as to what your hidden gems of games are for the SNES.

I'm not talking about Chrono Trigger, FF2 and 3, Legend of Zelda LTTP, games everyone has.

I'm looking for hidden Jew gold of games. Games that kicked some ass, but I was never able to get ahold of.
>>
>>2917827

Play Tales of Phantasia now.
>>
File: skyblazer.jpg (19 KB, 398x266) Image search: [Google]
skyblazer.jpg
19 KB, 398x266
Are we only talking about RPGs?

If not try pic related and if that isn't obscure enough for you try Phantom 2040.
>>
>>2917851

Anything you feel is worthy of a try. I have all the sports games I need on my console, I'm looking for stuff that is obscure to the casual gamer.
>>
>>2917827
Magical Pop'n. It's Ninja Gaiden but good
>>
Any opinions on Shadowrun?
>>
Everyone knows about the Super Star Wars games but I rarely see people mentioning the Indiana Jones game. Why is that?
>>
>>2917865
It looks interesting from the little bit I just saw, definitely reminiscent of Suer Star Wars.

As for your question, probably because, at least for the 30 and younger age group, there were probably more kinds who were Star Wars fans than Indiana Jones fans during the nineties, but that's just a guess.
>>
Mickey and the Giant Beanstalk
Sailor Moon R- Another Story
>>
Firemen
>>
File: respek.gif (86 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
respek.gif
86 KB, 250x188
>>2917827
EARTHBOUND HURRR. Has that shit storm passed?

#goodnotgreat

LOOK AT ME I'M RARE
>>
>>2917958

Are you drunk, high, trippin' or a little of each?
>>
>>2917881
>Another story

Great game. The fighting game is great aswell.
>>
File: flower guts.png (2 MB, 726x1093) Image search: [Google]
flower guts.png
2 MB, 726x1093
>>2917964
wishful thinking home slice, but neither. And I'm not wrong. Earthbound/Mother is good, but it's not great. It's only great because people keep spamming it and forcing it on you here. Don't take the red pill and don't take this the wrong way it's a VERY enjoyable game, it's loads of fun, but it's also lacking as far as RPGs go. All I'm saying is there are much better and the "rarity" has driven it's popularity through the roof. Pic unrelated
>>
File: norton.jpg (21 KB, 350x467) Image search: [Google]
norton.jpg
21 KB, 350x467
>>2917975
UGH, me again...for example >>2911465
I avoided this board for months because the Earthbound shit was getting so out of hand. I'm glad you can pay $300 for your game, really, but is it worth it? Chrono Trigger is about ~100 right now and is infinitely better
>>
>>2917975

I just think it's a nice, quirky little RPG. I don't think it's the best of all time, or even necessarily the best on the SNES.

There. Now can we both agree we're reasonably sane individuals with rational thoughts and opinions?
>>
>>2917827
I really like Live-A-Live and not many people know that Seiken Densetsu 3 is the sequel of Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy Adventure.
>>
File: meat collage.jpg (483 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
meat collage.jpg
483 KB, 960x960
>>2917987
Agreed, I like your style
Pic rarely related, and so not this time
>>
Please, for the love of God, play gunman's proof. It's so damn good and has an English patch.
>>
>Demon's Crest
you should have have heard of DC by now
>Umihara Kawase
16-bit programming magic grapple hook
>King Arthur's World
K. Arthur's World inspired a non-official sequel that's on Steam.

>Battle Pinball
>Jaki Crush
best 2d pinball vidyas imo (not familiar with MD/Genesis pinball tho)
>>
i liked lagoon and legend of the mystical ninja
>>
>>2917827
Cannon fodder.

Ninja warriors again.

Hyper zone

Sunset riders

Soul blazer

Bahamut lagoon

Front mission

Gradius 3
>>
>>2918438
Forgot: knights of the round
>>
>>2918080
Ugh I hated that game. Maybe because the translation
>>
File: 432432434234.jpg (285 KB, 1170x691) Image search: [Google]
432432434234.jpg
285 KB, 1170x691
>>2917827

Sup OP, I came because I saw my favorite console's pic in the front page... I'm a /pol/ack hardly browse anything outside of /pol/

Anyways... I have a USB SNES controller and I run these games on pic related when I'm not doing other stuff at home...

Pic related hope my list helps you... faggot.
>>
>>2918447

>lists a bunch of common, well-known games
>Donald trump trip
>can't make a post without saying "faggot"

Please go back to your containment board.
>>
>>2918537
>thinking you can contain the trump

Some people never learn.
>>
Actraiser
>>
>>2918447

MK3 sucks balls. Bunch of robotic humanoids walking around with their nuts out like the planet of the apes. Fuck that game.
>>
File: 2447541-main.png (320 KB, 407x640) Image search: [Google]
2447541-main.png
320 KB, 407x640
Umihara Kawase. If you like challenging physics based platformers and spiderman you might like it.
>>
>>2917983
>>2917975

Yeah. It's enjoyable and has nice music-- but is really simple as far as RPGs go. Would still recommend it to someone.

Also, I got my copy for a cheap price, which was good. Honestly thought that price scalping shit was over with, but I guess not
>>
>>2919785
plus Mother 3 is at least 5 times better
>>
>>2917827
Soul Blazer
>>
>>2917827
Looking for more unknown games?

I liked the Famicom Detective Club II remake on SNES. If you're into mystery point-and-clicks, give it a try. The graphics are nice too.

As others suggested, Umihara Kawase is a unique platformer that utilizes grappling physics. The art direction is pretty... strange, but in a good way. The enemies are realistic sea creatures with legs, the background image is a blurry photograph, and you play as a young anime girl.

Milon's Secret Casle had a sequel on SNES that's actually good. You've probably heard of the NES game and how cryptic it is, but the sequel is a lot more fun. It plays more like a Kirby game.

Sutte Hakkun is a platformer-puzzle game that Nintendo released in '98. You play as a little transparent dude who has the ability to suck up paint and put it into blocks. Each color has a different effect on how the blocks move, which is fun for what it is

Play Hong Kong 97

Also, I haven't gotten far, but Terranigma seems pretty cool.
>>
Uniracers
Goof Troop
Plok
Secret of Evermore
Soul Blazer
>>
>>2919823
>Hong Kong 97

...just why?
>>
Umihara Kawase
Every Quintet game
Front Mission
Shin Megami Tensei 1 &2
Uniracers
Live A Live
Clock Tower
Wild Guns
Metal Max Returns
Furai no Shiren
Demon's Crest
Doremi Fantasy
Majyuuou
Sanrio World Smash Ball
>>
>>2917827
Stargate is honestly pretty good, once you get used to the controls they actually feel great, lots of ways to move and maneuver.
You can run and shoot, shoot in 8 directions, shoot while ducking, grab on to ledges and hang from them, shoot when hanging from ledges, climb along ropes, throw hand grenades (that are rather powerful and commonly available)
Graphics and sound are good, final boss is honestly cooler than in the movie.
Not a perfect game, but pretty nice.

True Lies is really good, though I've seen more talk of it lately.
>>
>>2917843
This. ToP is boss-tits.
>>
>>2918447
Shadowrun is the only decent game on your list. NBA Jam TE on SNES is inferior to Genesis in every way imaginable. You're an embarassment to /pol/.
>>
>>2919823
I have to warn you, Terranigma gets boring.
>>
>>2922352

Terranigma is garbage, despite what our resident Quintetfag may insist.
>>
>>2922359
>>2922352
Why would you say it gets boring/isn't good? So far I'm enjoying it, but I literally just started a few days ago
>>
>>2922351
>Super Mario World
>Donkey Kong Country
>Super Streetfighter
>not good
You're worse than the /pol/tergeist tripfag.
>>
>>2921910
>Wild Guns
Oh sheeeit I love that game, but it's super hard.
>>
>>2922379

Like I try to constantly remind Quintetfag, it's very pretty excuse-plot garbage. Poorly translated and barely coherent. Shit, Illusion of Gaia is more of the same with even worse gameplay.
>>
>>2921890
It has to be experienced.

I feel lucky (or unlucky?) to have come across the game before the Nerd made it "cool"
>>
Breath of Fire II, but only with Ryusei's fan translation.
>>
>>2922440
You fuckin ugly red
>>
>>2922440
But it isn't good
>>
>>2922873
You're right, it's great
>>
>>2923394
I don't ironically play shit games for fun because I'm not a hipster.
>>
>>2923646
Yes you are
>>
>>2917864
The gameplay isn't that great but everything else makes up for it. The atmosphere is pretty much unparalleled (for the time period anyways) and the music is fuckin great, I still listen to it from time to time
Definitely worth a go, especially if you like the world of shadowrun
>>
>>2917827
Zenki Battle Raiden

literally no one ever mentions it, but it's a damn good beatem up platformer. Amazing non-mapper chip graphics if nothing else
>>
>>2923663
>haha, this game is so bad, isn't it funny? I love playing really bad games
>this game widely regarded as shit is actually a misunderstood masterpiece
Regardless of which this makes you a hipster faggot
>>
>>2923772
Who cares? Just let people play they want, if they want to enjoy a "so bad it's amusing" game now and then, let them.

The fact you used a watered-down term like "Hipster" anyway is annoying in the first place.
>>
>>2923791
I'm sorry, I just really have a problem with people whitewashing objectively terrible games, it feels so contrarian.

It jusr rubs me the wrong way when someone tells me that the NES versions of Dragon's Lair or Chiller are actually really good and that they're a genius for thinking so and people who disagree are just parrots or plebeians.

I think I'm damaged.
>>
>>2923798
Dragon's Lair on NES? Damn, I can't see how that sluggish piece of shit could be considered playable by anyone. The only good thing I can say about it is that the animations are smooth (but they're too smooth, the player inputs lag like hell) So I see what you mean in that regard. I don't get why people go against the grind just for the sake of it. (See: /tv/ on the Star Wars prequels)

In Hong Kong's case, it's more of how... bizzare it is that makes it funny to play. (No, I'm not saying it's secretly good or a "hidden gem") The fact that it's some anti-chinese game where you play as Bruce Lee's brother on a slaughterfest is pretty entertaining in its own right. And it was made by some used game store to advertise their shop? What the fuck is that shit?
>>
>>2923830
>I can't see how that sluggish piece of shit could be considered playable by anyone.
You'd be surprised. A common deflection is "stop parroting e-celebs" as if that takes away from the game being horrible or as if it was previously beloved but then suddenly hated because of AVGN or whatever.

Don't need anyone to tell me that these controls are worse than the holocaust.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.